AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-03-14, 20:42   Link #8781
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
i swear to god iv'e seen ur name before ..... MyAnimeList?

well anyway New Testament might mean that but so far its thought as A new start like in the Bible, u know the Old Testament and New testament.
Perhaps at MangaFox?

About the New Testament... yeah, the first thing that comes to mind is the Bible... also, the fact that Touma sacrificed himself for the world is somehow an analogy. I hope that's not it as I've seen that used too much already... But it would be more interesting if the name has 2 or even 3 meanings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollownerox View Post
As for the dragon, it is was common for dragons to be heavenly beings, gods in some cultures.
Right, some people theorize that precisely because of that, during the Christianity expansion and syncretism with other cultures, they related that symbol to Satan (the fallen angel.)

@Arabesque
Spoiler:
Old 2011-03-14, 20:45   Link #8782
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
Perhaps at MangaFox?

About the New Testament... yeah, the first thing that comes to mind is the Bible... also, the fact that Touma sacrificed himself for the world is somehow an analogy. I hope that's not it as I've seen that used too much already... But it would be more interesting if the name has 2 or even 3 meanings.
really? this is a first for me. Not even evangelion had this. Though u might be right since this is Thelema.

ah yes ur from mangafox. Im xxHiddenxSelfxx
Old 2011-03-14, 21:20   Link #8783
leukrota

Quote:
ah yes ur from mangafox. Im xxHiddenxSelfxx
Oh cool.
Quote:
really? this is a first for me. Not even evangelion had this. Though u might be right since this is Thelema.
I've seen it mostly in literature... from the top of my mind I can think of seeing similar symbolisms about "the Savior" in Dune and Foundation, I can't name more now but I'm sure I've read it on several other works... Also in the movie "The Matrix", remember that one?

Though I admit I don't remember seen that in anime/manga.
Old 2011-03-14, 21:33   Link #8784
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

A note: we should be able to treat the side story by Narita as cannon now.

In the author's note, Kamachi outright thanks Narita for inventing Nayuta in the side story, thus solving the dilemma on how to introduce cyborgs in to the story.
Old 2011-03-14, 21:38   Link #8785
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Oh cool.

I've seen it mostly in literature... from the top of my mind I can think of seeing similar symbolisms about "the Savior" in Dune and Foundation, I can't name more now but I'm sure I've read it on several other works... Also in the movie "The Matrix", remember that one?

Though I admit I don't remember seen that in anime/manga.
Touma's not dead yet guys... =_=

Quote:
Well what if the symbolism doesn't have to do with Christianity? Alistair told Fiamma that he used the outdated Osiris methods, while Alistair used Horus. What if this has to do with Egyptian symbolism, because Horus' symbol was also a hawk, and a hawk does represent evil (after all Alistair is called the most evil magician). There is also the legend of when Horus attempted to overthrow god, and the Egyptians were known as a highly scientific empire back then, much like Academy City might seem to be. As for the dragon, it is was common for dragons to be heavenly beings, gods in some cultures.
Aleister's system of Thelema uses the names of the Egyptian Gods to identify with his system, but it doesn't follow their Pagan teachings. Aleister could be using Norse or Greek Gods and the meanings would still be the same, for example Osiris=Hel=Hades=Pluto. So IMO, looking at the Egrptian Gods wouldn't result in any answer. If it's symbolism, you should be looking directly at Thelema.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
By the way, on the nature of Ollerus power, I got a different impression than I initially had. It seems that the unusual thing about is that the way he's using the spell was in a way it's not supposed to be used in to produce an effect that was undocumented before (so his power is really turning defensive spells in to offensive ones?) so instead of being unexplainable phenomena, it's really the way he's using the power thats supposed to be unexplained.

So it's confirmation that Silvia is tsuntsun ?

I don't know how accurate is the intel, plus I'm not reading the novels until the end of this season, but Ollerus supposedly convert his life energy to and unknown source of magic. Coverting life energy to magic is nothing special as it's part and pacel of being a magician, but it seems Ollerus' doesn't use normal magic that most magicians can assciate with.

And for some reason, that unknown magic fuel is can create spells that are used in way it was not intended.

Two possibilities I see is that the nature of the magic fuel that changes the spell, or that the spell is manually changed to suit the nature of the magic fuel.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post

In the author's note, Kamachi outright thanks Narita for inventing Nayuta in the side story, thus solving the dilemma on how to introduce cyborgs in to the story.
Cyborgs would give the Science vs Magic view a whole new angle.

Espers are somewhat restricted, you can never be certain what you're gonna get. But with Cyborgs, you know what you're paying for. In addition, Cyborgs don't produce AIM field so technically they can also use magic.

On a more human side, unlike a power armor or a mech, you can give a cyborg character and personality.

I'm going to call it right now; The new faction would be named- [Numbers]!

(You can laugh if you get the parody)

P.S - So now that those two Authors are buddies, can we see the crossover with Tsuchimikado vs Izaya spy games as I had predicted ?

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-03-14 at 21:56.
Old 2011-03-14, 21:55   Link #8786
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Espers are somewhat restricted, you can never be certain what you're gonna get. But with Cyborgs, you know what you're paying for. In addition, Cyborgs don't produce AIM field so technically they can also use magic.
They'd need Mana wouldn't they?

Science Side bastards
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Old 2011-03-14, 21:59   Link #8787
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenju of the Right View Post
They'd need Mana wouldn't they?

Science Side bastards
Mana = Life Energy.

They're Cyborgs, not Androids. They're still part human
Old 2011-03-14, 22:06   Link #8788
Xenosnake
Badass

And here I thought Touma and John Connor were going to team up.
Old 2011-03-14, 22:07   Link #8789
Zaresh
Caperucita Roja

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post

That's awesome.

Not that I'm a Narita fan or something... (well, yes, I sort of am). But it opens new possibilities to other authors to collaborate on expanding Index AND make it cannon by the original author himself. So wherever he has a problem, someone can solve it in an official side story.

EDIT:
Quote:
(You can laugh if you get the parody)
Can count cylons as cyborgs?
Old 2011-03-14, 22:09   Link #8790
ellifeedn
Thinker

Wait, what side story is this Nayuta in?
Old 2011-03-14, 22:09   Link #8791
Hollownerox
Pretty Swell Guy

I kind of figured there would eventually be a faction that could use both technology and magic at once, just didn't expect cyborgs, next thing you know Alistair will start creating giant robots with teenage pilots, and the Church will begin searching for a kid with a lightning bolt on his forehead... (If you didn't get those puns you should be ashamed of your own existence)

"Love is a very powerful force. Even more so when it's focused into a coherent beam of destruction. Every time I cast Hadoken, it siphons away some of the love in the universe. I'm not sure how much, but I'm given to understand the divorce rate goes up with each blast." - Black Mage
Old 2011-03-14, 22:14   Link #8792
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

Quote:
Mana = Life Energy.

Damn I was totally thinking about Androids, lol
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Old 2011-03-14, 22:15   Link #8793
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
I kind of figured there would eventually be a faction that could use both technology and magic at once, just didn't expect cyborgs, next thing you know Alistair will start creating giant robots with teenage pilots
They've tried that, but the project didn't take off.

Quote:
...and the Church will begin searching for a kid with a lightning bolt on his forehead...
Yes but not for the reason you were thinking of.

Damn pagan witchcraft ! The Church won't stand for this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
Can count cylons as cyborgs?
Never watched battlestar, sorry (had to wiki it)
Old 2011-03-14, 22:20   Link #8794
Zaresh
Caperucita Roja

Quote:
Never watched battlestar, sorry (had to wiki it)
Oh, nevermind. It was the series I though when I saw the numbers thing. I guess I didn't get it.
Old 2011-03-14, 22:21   Link #8795
Sandinwater

Quote:
Perhaps at MangaFox?

Wait..?? So Touma really is dead??? OoO
Old 2011-03-14, 22:27   Link #8796
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

No. Touma is alive and well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Wait, what side story is this Nayuta in?
The vending machine one. The no.3 vs. no.7
Old 2011-03-14, 22:47   Link #8797
leukrota

Quote:
Touma's not dead yet guys... =_=
Good point.

Then for now, without having read the new novel, I'll throw the hypothesis that the "new testament" is a machine... maybe something used for/by cyborgs?
Quote:
Mana = Life Energy.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but didn't Index say that she couldn't use magic cause she doesn't have Mana?
Old 2011-03-14, 22:49   Link #8798
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

This is alot of stuff that needs to get animated. Or at Least told differently.
Old 2011-03-14, 23:15   Link #8799
Karna
just some guy

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong... but didn't Index say that she couldn't use magic cause she doesn't have Mana?
That was likely a lie that was told to her. Every living being on the planet has Mana, Magicians just have more then regular humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaAlba View Post
Spoiler for nt1:

What kind of powersuit does Hamazura have, and what does it do? Like what are some of the functions?

Last edited by Karna; 2011-03-14 at 23:41.
Old 2011-03-14, 23:51   Link #8800
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Greed~ View Post
That was likely a lie that was told to her. Every living being on the planet has Mana, Magicians just have more then regular humans.
That said, there's nothing that suggest her mana couldn't be sealed or confine to Pen mode only as a means to stop the grimoire from corrupting her,
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen