AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

View Poll Results: Death Note Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 19 22.35%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 38.82%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 25.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 7.06%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 4.71%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.18%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-17, 13:24   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Death Note Episode 3 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Death Note, Episode 3!

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for RAWs.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the Manga out of the anime thread. If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the Manga, either PM them or use Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Usage

Using Spoiler Tags is easy. Using this...

[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use the spoiler title[/spoiler]

....will get you this...

Spoiler for title:
Old 2006-10-17, 14:13   Link #2
Omniscient

Episode 03 Screencaps and Summary

Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-17, 14:28   Link #3
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

How are the visuals compared to, say, episode 2? There are definitely some glaring "off" shots, but is the animation in general jerky or still solid?
Old 2006-10-17, 15:35   Link #4
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Nop, still solid. It's not like the first episode when Light was writing in the Death Note.

Overall, it was a nice episode. Not 10 material, but still great to watch. The tension between L and Light.

Spoiler:

________
Hotbox Vaporizer

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 08:38.
Old 2006-10-17, 16:07   Link #5
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
The episode wasn't as exciting as the first two, but still good.

By the way, I just noticed this thing. In the OP and ED, Light is always associated with the color red, while L is associated with the color blue.

Now, in our Western tradition, Light might seem (and does seem) a bit demonic with those red glowing eyes, but I thought about it from a different perspective.

In the old traditions of the Japanese kabuki theater, red is the color of courage and justice. Actors who played the protagonist and other "good" characters used red make-up. On the other hand, blue is the color of the supernatural beings, of immorality and of equanimity. Actors who played the antagonist and demons used blue make-up.

Do you think there is something here? For some reason, I really dislike both L and Light. Both are sociopathic nutcases, in my opinion, so I am a bit surprised that the authors would try to differentiate between good and evil like that.

In other news, L uses a PowerMac. I guess that explains why he's such a freak. 8)
Old 2006-10-17, 16:27   Link #6
musouka

I don't think the author is trying to make a statement about good and evil, she's just trying to tell a good story...
Old 2006-10-17, 16:31   Link #7
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Then how do you explain the colors?
Old 2006-10-17, 16:31   Link #8
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
I don't think the author is trying to make a statement about good and evil, she's just trying to tell a good story...
I rather disagree. The mangaka addresses too many issues about the border between good and evil for this to be a coincidence. The colors might be a coincidence, but the story about the nature of good and evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Then how do you explain the colors?
The colors might have been chosen for purely cosmetic effect.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-10-17, 16:34   Link #9
musouka

Well, to clarify, I don't think she is trying to embody the concepts of good and evil in L and Light respectively. Rather than good or evil, I think Death Note is more about society VS the individual...
Old 2006-10-17, 16:41   Link #10
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Lol, people need to realize that the OP is not very "meaningful". It depicts stuff, yes, but this is just too much....
________
Ford Prefect History

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 08:38.
Old 2006-10-17, 16:47   Link #11
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Sure.

Next time you'll say that the apple in Light's hand also doesn't mean anything and there is absolutely no symbolism involved there.

Sure, that's just "stuff" being "depicted". 8)
Old 2006-10-17, 16:55   Link #12
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Well obviously apples are too well known a symbol to have been included in the manga for purely coincidental reasons. Though you need to understand that apples are used in the OP because they are used as a symbol in the anime. By contrast the OP was just pulled out of an art director's head. Since the OP was not created by the writer of the manga, you need to realize that anything that only exists in the OP might really only exist for artistic reasons.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-10-17, 17:06   Link #13
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

I've never read the whole manga (tried to, but got bored very soon, to be honest), so I don't know if it's purely symbolic imagery or it features somehow in the plot.

Even if it's the second, then I don't see why it can't be both.

I don't really view the OP as being particularily separate from the main plot of the anime, so the inclusion of various allusions in the OP is only a sneak peak into the overall symbolism of the entire show.

It's not like the OP is telling a separate story. It's not a music video based on the anime, it's part of the anime, thus the imagery offered to us in the OP is part of the anime director's message.

The apple, the allusion to Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel fresco (with Light and Ryuk instead of Adam and God), the contrast between the extremes of L and Light, the allusion to Sandro Botticelli's "Birth of Venus" with Light as Venus. It's all part of the symbolism that DEATH NOTE is chanelling at the viewer. They are basic messages that tell the viewer something about the authors intensions for this show, what he wants us to see the characters as, etc.
Old 2006-10-17, 17:11   Link #14
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

MrProphet: In the How to Read volume of the manga, Ohba did say that she wasn't interested in telling a story "about" good and evil. Personally I'm more inclined to think that the colors are a stylistic choice as well, since if the story hasn't already made it apparent...

Spoiler for General but possibly spoilerish information:

Speaking of the OP... am I just crazy, or were there some small visual changes made to it?
Old 2006-10-17, 17:30   Link #15
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Hrm, rumors of episode 3-6 being handled by subcontract seemed to be true.
The far pans of episode 3 was consierably less quality than the previous two,
and A part had some cuts that were very off-character designs.
Of course, the upclose shots and bust shots didn't suffer much though.

However, I still enjoyed it, and considering this is a three season long anime, for a full gross work it was acceptable IMO.

I do hope that the main Madhouse team returns soon though.
The scheduling in Black Lagoon apparantly is pretty tough right now, (from reading the staff's blogs) and I have a feeling large portion of the core team is working on it right now.

I think Dr. Movie's standard has gotten quite a bit better, probably due to in-house training of Madhouse. This episode was average work, but some of the other Madhouse anime episode with Dr. Movie was pretty excellent.
Old 2006-10-17, 17:50   Link #16
Codex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX View Post
Speaking of the OP... am I just crazy, or were there some small visual changes made to it?
I noticed it too:
- some scenes look brighter (in the end, when Light is standing on a bridge);
- the shot with the profiles of the policement are completely suffused with red unlike before;
- the Pieta-like tableau shows Light's face;
- in the beginning, when Light faces L, the screen closes in on L's left eye, whereas previously, it ended showing his full face;
- in the second face-off, Light's left eye is grey, when previously it was red;
- there's a ray of light on the table at the very end

As for Light being red, that's not too unusual. Many anime main characters are associated with the colour red/the element of fire. Sentai leaders are generally red too.
Old 2006-10-17, 18:00   Link #17
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

First of all, those who say that the OP doesn't hold the basis of general symbolism needs to look into it further. While the Petia scene may not hold that strong of a symbolism other than a need to pull off an artistic look, I'd say that most other scenes hold thier own symbolism from biting the apple atop the world which symbolises Light's imbued and self-absorbed vanity of power once he looks down to the world as God in a less literal sense.

However, Prophet-dono, while I agree the little symbolism of red/blue may seem a little off in the OP, I personally don't think the original author had anything to do with the colours or how the overall presentation of the OP in general is shown.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2006-10-17, 18:41   Link #18
dxgarten

Episode 03 screencaps and impression

Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-17, 18:58   Link #19
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
However, Prophet-dono, while I agree the little symbolism of red/blue may seem a little off in the OP, I personally don't think the original author had anything to do with the colours or how the overall presentation of the OP in general is shown.
I think I was misunderstood. By "author" I didn't mean the gensaku, but rather it was a general description of "anyone involved with the creation of this anime". You could substiture "director" or "screenwriter" or "animation director" there, if you wish.
Old 2006-10-17, 19:12   Link #20
musouka

I should have been making dinner, but instead...

Spoiler for picture of slight differences between the OPs:

It's not perfect; my timing was off in parts. (But not in the second frame, the difference really is that big) And I'm sure there are already three million swimming around elsewhere...

Last edited by musouka; 2006-10-17 at 19:37.
Closed Thread