AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Tales of... > Tales of the Abyss (Archive)

Notices

Old 2008-11-03, 01:11   Link #1041
rose-wisteria
~Cuteness is NOT a Crime~

Send a message via AIM to rose-wisteria Send a message via MSN to rose-wisteria Send a message via Yahoo to rose-wisteria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
- To get a list of the Tales of the Abyss fans on AS.
- To submit/add fanarts/images/screenshots/artworks/funny pictures. So every members could go there and see all the pictures easily.
- To talk about the pictures and how awesome are some characters, without spamming this thread with idiotic (but funny) messages since funny spams are not really allowed in this thread.
Have you created that group yet Miss Narona?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_god04 View Post
Which is why this anime really needs a subforum, a thread to discuss the adaptation and whether the transition was carried out well, or how scenes changed, and gives people who have played the game more room to to discuss freely without spoiling the people who haven't played the game. The discussion would not fit into the game thread as it would pertain to the anime as well. Tales of the Abyss has a lot more potential for interesting discussions on the plot as well as each of the party characters as they undergo quite a bit of development throughout the course of the story. More so then Kannagi in my opinion.

I loved how they went into the contamination sidequest with Jade's spear. I was hoping they would keep that in.

Yay another Natalia fan! To be fair though, Tear's voice was not that bad in english, the acting was good, just that her voice sounded a bit too old, especially considering she is like the youngest next to Anise.
I'm being hopeful for a future subforum because of your reasons. It's too hard trying to discuss EVERYTHING in this thread alone. There's just so much to talk about. Right now, I'm already really happy that ToA sub releases are very fast in comparison to a lot of animes (except for Gundam 00 Season 2 of course )

I did not expect that sidequest at all in this episode! It was a pleasant surprise. Now, if only they include all those melon skits... *gets shot*

The older voice is my main reason for disliking the English VA. I must admit she does a pretty good job in the acting department. Same with Anise's VA. I just didn't like the voice themselves. Guy's English VA is love though. This episode really flesh out Natalia's character. I am very happy for that. And a flashback too!
rose-wisteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 08:49   Link #1042
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Flareknight? I think you double posted by mistake

Well, here are my thoughts on ep 6

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 09:13   Link #1043
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose-wisteria View Post
I'm being hopeful for a future subforum because of your reasons. It's too hard trying to discuss EVERYTHING in this thread alone. There's just so much to talk about. Right now, I'm already really happy that ToA sub releases are very fast in comparison to a lot of animes (except for Gundam 00 Season 2 of course )

I did not expect that sidequest at all in this episode! It was a pleasant surprise. Now, if only they include all those melon skits... *gets shot*

The older voice is my main reason for disliking the English VA. I must admit she does a pretty good job in the acting department. Same with Anise's VA. I just didn't like the voice themselves. Guy's English VA is love though. This episode really flesh out Natalia's character. I am very happy for that. And a flashback too!
Given the story and the stories for each of the characters, this thread will get convoluted quickly if it is used for the discussion for everything. Plus with a thread that deals with game to anime conversion we can speculate what relevant side quests they will or should include as well.

I'd was fairly certain they'd want to do the contamination scenes, I would like for them to include some of the after battle quotes even though it is highly unlikely.

Spoiler for save space - end of battle quotes:

I like the extra scenes they are putting into the anime though I can't explain more because there will be spoilers -.- As for the voices, Yukana does the cute expressions alot better with Tear, I also actually prefer Ion's Japanese voice as well. Tear is supposed to be like 16 right?

I wonder if we will see any of the other character's mystic artes though. We saw Jade's Indignation, I'd want to see Brilliant Overlord, Noble Roar, Innocent Shine and Lost Fon Drive.
demon_god04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 10:03   Link #1044
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Episode 6 was interesting i was happy since we finally got to see a little more of Asch the Bloody who i have been looking forward to learning about. Luke proved to be a real annoyance this time around with the "Shut and follow me Im the boss" He still really has no concept of whats going on and serious these events are. I cant wait for that spoiled personality of his to get a quick wake up call.

Natalia was most impressive with that bow I was very much pleased and she was nice to enough to admit that she made a mistake and apologize. Plus her jealous fighting with Anise was funny as hell.I support the engagement between her and Luke but now i have to wonder Asch looks just Luke and Asch looked in Natalia's direction is one a clone of the other. Things are getting very interesting.

Tear of course was just adorable as hell with her being afraid of ghost every now and then Tear just does something to make me remember why she is one of my favorite characters but im quickly liking Natalia as well after seeing how much she went through to try to get Luke's memory back and has stuck with him the entire time. The pinky promise which the old Luke hated is definitely clue to what really happened all those years ago and makes me wonder again is Luke the REAL Luke.
Old 2008-11-03, 10:04   Link #1045
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
The pinky promise which the old Luke hated is definitely clue to what really happened all those years ago and makes me wonder again is Luke the REAL Luke.
There was like a dozen more hints in this episode that should have had you thinking that.
Old 2008-11-03, 10:09   Link #1046
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
There was like a dozen more hints in this episode that should have had you thinking that.
Yea i know there were. i just chose to use the pinky one to get my point out instead of using all the references. Others have already pointed out that fact no point in rehashing it.

But damn it my mind is going to be working overtime for the next week coming up with possible theories.
Old 2008-11-03, 10:11   Link #1047
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

I am no expert on the matter but don't people with amnesia can be completely different?
Old 2008-11-03, 10:31   Link #1048
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
I am no expert on the matter but don't people with amnesia can be completely different?
Amnesia can make certain behaviors of people seem different. But not to drastically as what we have seen in Luke. Remember your personality is genetic its who you are and even if you lose your memories your body will still remember certain things. If you hate peas and you get amnesia your body wont forget you hate peas. Natural behavior and emotional response behaviors are different. So even if Luke is the real Luke he personality would not have changed that drastically even with his amnesia. He just would not have remembered certain things as shown in the anime. But your personality is YOU you can forget how to be YOURSELF.
Old 2008-11-03, 10:47   Link #1049
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Quote:
Amnesia can make certain behaviors of people seem different. But not to drastically as what we have seen in Luke. Remember your personality is genetic its who you are and even if you lose your memories your body will still remember certain things. If you hate peas and you get amnesia your body wont forget you hate peas. Natural behavior and emotional response behaviors are different. So even if Luke is the real Luke he personality would not have changed that drastically even with his amnesia. He just would not have remembered certain things as shown in the anime. But your personality is YOU you can forget how to be YOURSELF.
We are talking about something like a pinky swear which is different from physically tasting something repulsive to you like food. And one of our biological traits is that we have no instinct (genetically coded complex pattern of behaviour) and in it's place we have the ability to learn complex patterns of behaviour, which is why homo sapien sapiens rely on culture as an adaptive means.

People's behavioral patterns can change through time based on experiences, if said experience was traumatic enough to make one lose his memories then I'd think it would stand to reason that there is some change in him as well. And who knows it could be that the reason he was more receptive of a pinky swear now is because he has a fond memory of it after he lost his childhood memories.
Old 2008-11-03, 11:35   Link #1050
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
We are talking about something like a pinky swear which is different from physically tasting something repulsive to you like food. And one of our biological traits is that we have no instinct (genetically coded complex pattern of behaviour) and in it's place we have the ability to learn complex patterns of behaviour, which is why homo sapien sapiens rely on culture as an adaptive means.

People's behavioral patterns can change through time based on experiences, if said experience was traumatic enough to make one lose his memories then I'd think it would stand to reason that there is some change in him as well. And who knows it could be that the reason he was more receptive of a pinky swear now is because he has a fond memory of it after he lost his childhood memories.
True but its tough to tell without a little more information on what Luke's personality was like before the kidnapping. My initial response to the pinky swear was to watch Natalia's expression afterwards and her memory of what happened in the past. Granted its not enough to go on so its really hard to make a good call on it. The only way i can see Luke being completely different would be if his mind was completely wiped and he experienced new memories over time that molded his new personality.

What good experience would he have to use a pinky promise?

Either way the truth is going to be really interesting when we find out whats really going on.
Old 2008-11-03, 11:51   Link #1051
reverse

After watching a couple ep i decided to buy the game

play until zao ruins
I decided to stop playing the game

Why ? you might ask
The story in the anime are better. flashback are awesome

I will continue playing the game after the anime ended
reverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 11:55   Link #1052
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Quote:
True but its tough to tell without a little more information on what Luke's personality was like before the kidnapping. My initial response to the pinky swear was to watch Natalia's expression afterwards and her memory of what happened in the past. Granted its not enough to go on so its really hard to make a good call on it. The only way i can see Luke being completely different would be if his mind was completely wiped and he experienced new memories over time that molded his new personality.

What good experience would he have to use a pinky promise?

Either way the truth is going to be really interesting when we find out whats really going on.
Well we know that Luke was basically confined to the manor after the kidnapping and had to relearn everything so it is a given that he would have a different experience and his personality would have changed because of it.

Dunno I am just giving an example of how the change could have come about, not very good I know but point is that new experiences would be a factor in absolving his adversion to pinky swears.

Yes it will be interesting either way.
Old 2008-11-03, 13:01   Link #1053
xellos2099

Yes, the boss battle is short, but can an ordinary monster survive attack from Luke, Guy and Jade at the same time? Remember that Largo nearly get one shot by Jade alone.

Granted I am glad that in the anime they follow more on the game than manga because
Spoiler for scene:
xellos2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 13:51   Link #1054
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Well that was no ordinary monster, it was like a mutation remember. And Jade did not get Largo by himself, Tear held him with her fonic hymn and Jade ran him through with his spear.
Old 2008-11-03, 15:43   Link #1055
yolin.shana

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos2099 View Post
Spoiler for scene:
If I remember correctly, he wasn't so kind in the game either... or was it later? I remember his worst "brat" moment was in the Deo Path though...

Interesting discussion about amnesia.
Just a correction though : personnality is not innate, nature is.
If Luke grew up in a different environment after his amnesia, it's normal he would get a different personnality. And he did, in a way : he was confined to the manor, everyone was always looking at him hoping he would get his memories back quickly etc
Anyway, about the pinky swearing, I think it was mentionned in a skit that he didn't like it because his father never used to keep his promises or something like that? That memory went away seven years ago, so the Luke now has no reason to hate pinky swearing.

Anyway, one thing I noticed about Luke and Asch while taking screeshots...
Might be spoilerific, but they probably intended for us to notice it and speculate :

Spoiler for might-be-spoiler-pics:
yolin.shana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 15:47   Link #1056
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolin.shana View Post
If I remember correctly, he wasn't so kind in the game either... or was it later? I remember his worst "brat" moment was in the Deo Path though...

Interesting discussion about amnesia.
Just a correction though : personnality is not innate, nature is.
If Luke grew up in a different environment after his amnesia, it's normal he would get a different personnality. And he did, in a way : he was confined to the manor, everyone was always looking at him hoping he would get his memories back quickly etc
Anyway, about the pinky swearing, I think it was mentionned in a skit that he didn't like it because his father never used to keep his promises or something like that? That memory went away seven years ago, so the Luke now has no reason to hate pinky swearing.

Anyway, one thing I noticed about Luke and Asch while taking screeshots...
Might be spoilerific, but they probably intended for us to notice it and speculate :

Spoiler for might-be-spoiler-pics:
Hum thats very interesting does anyone have any theories based off the pics?
Old 2008-11-03, 15:55   Link #1057
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Saa... According to the first episode, Luke is a part of Asch's soul or something. According to the pictures posted above, the Luke with memories=Asch, no memories=Luke, perhaps? And somehow Asch's soul split or whatever happened (that machine explained in the previous episode?), which created the no-memory Luke, and Luke got picked up and became the son of that family while Asch went somewhere. Perhaps?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 16:00   Link #1058
kujoe
from head to heel

Theory? Occam's razor... It's actually very simple.

Luke is the son of Duke Fabre who had been kidnapped years ago. Upon his return, they discovered that he has no memories of his ordeal or of his life, from which he had to relearn everything... about himself, about his life and the people he's supposed to know. Others have noted how different he is now due to this, and he has been confined in the manor for years out of fear for another incident. Natalia in particular wants Luke to remember his words of proposal that he gave to her from long ago, and she tries to help him out.

And then, we have Asch who exactly resembles Luke, and who ambiguously looks towards Natalia's direction for some reason. Now something is missing in between, don't you think?

Here's another clue: other than Luke and Asch, Ion and Sync share the same voice actress.

Last edited by kujoe; 2008-11-03 at 16:15.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 16:03   Link #1059
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Apparently the story comes down to hair direction . The earliest flashback puts the hair going to the right side of the face and the later flashback more to the left. Since this is anime and not real life hair direction can really be used for this kind of speculation . Unless during that kidnapping someone really went at Luke with a angry hairbrush.
Quote:
Well that was no ordinary monster, it was like a mutation remember. And Jade did not get Largo by himself, Tear held him with her fonic hymn and Jade ran him through with his spear.
Yeah the boss got the shaft due to time constraints . Well if its between that fight and the conversations I'd probably put more into the conversations. Long as the major fights down the road get more attention.
Old 2008-11-03, 16:10   Link #1060
yolin.shana

@serenade_beta : when did they say Luke was a part of Asch's soul ????
That weird voice he hears wasn't Asch...
yolin.shana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy