AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Is the Manga or Anime better?
I watch both the anime and the manga and i think that the MANGA is better. 65 54.62%
I watch both the anime and the manga and i think that the ANIME is better. 30 25.21%
I watch Anime only. 20 16.81%
I read the Manga only 4 3.36%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-09-11, 05:40   Link #1
eviljiraiya
Evil Perverted Sannin

Is the Manga or Anime better?

Which do you think is better and why?

I watch the anime only but i am gonna look into reading the manga soon as well. Some people say that it is better.
eviljiraiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 05:46   Link #2
Hyuuga Neji
Byakugan Master

Send a message via AIM to Hyuuga Neji
I think the anime is better but I read the manga when im bored...I think the anime is better because its like colored....and you can make gifs out of it....lol manga is just somthing to read anime is somthing you watch and feel....this is just my opionion though im sure a lot of people disagree
Hyuuga Neji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 06:33   Link #3
Scy

Manga>>>>>>>>>>>>>Anime.

Manga:
1) Doesn't contain crap fillers like anime
2) Have more awe factor, e.g
Spoiler:

3) Later anime eps are likely to blow, considering how draggy the manga had become.
Scy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 06:35   Link #4
skillosopher
Dr. J

Send a message via AIM to skillosopher
wow, to all the people who choose manga. i read and enjoy the manga, but the anime is scores better. the manga is just a jumbled glob of black and white and during the fights its sometimes hard to see whats happening if you dont sit and work out the details.

the anime has color, movement, sound, that leaves the manga dry. the voicings are cool, the music does its job, the animation makes it seem more like an action work of art, makes it seem more real in a sense.

id say the awe factor is strongest where you experienced it first. but this may vary. i remember seeing naruto 1-19 and feeling pretty awe struck. where zabuza first appears standing on his blade in a tree, all the combinations of work put into the anime made that experience much better than it ever could have reading it in black and white 1/5 of the size.

and in this case, the saying "the book is always better than the movie" cannot be reffered to here as the anime is a 99% replica of the manga (literally).

these "crappy fillers" (i'll grant, they suck) or deviations from the manga can be smashed into about 5 episodes minus the specials (guessing). compared with the grand total of 100 eps.

i cant even begin to fathom why someone would perfer tiny inkblots (manga), to a cinescape of action (anime)?

Last edited by skillosopher; 2004-09-11 at 06:50.
skillosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 06:49   Link #5
Scy

And to those people that think that the Naruto anime is better than the Naruto manga because "all anime are better than any manga! Anime has colour, action, ect." I can only say that you have no idea what you are missing. Manga series usually are better than their anime counterpart. By right, if the series is adpated well into an anime, the anime should be better the manga. However, anime adaptions usually have lots of problems.
Scy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 07:01   Link #6
skillosopher
Dr. J

Send a message via AIM to skillosopher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scy
And to those people that think that the Naruto anime is better than the Naruto manga because "all anime are better than any manga! Anime has colour, action, ect." I can only say that you have no idea what you are missing. Manga series usually are better than their anime counterpart. By right, if the series is adpated well into an anime, the anime should be better the manga. However, anime adaptions usually have lots of problems.
since i beleive that the anime is about 99% of the manga, i guess i also believe naruto anime adapted well to the manga. and if thats correct, you to will agree that the naruto anime is better than the manga!

but, what about the manga is better? the only problem you name is that the anime has crap fillers, but out of the 100 episodes, are the deviations significant at all?

im not saying because of the color, sound etc. that every anime is better than its manga counterpart. for instance, all the color and sound effects couldnt help the hellsing anime precisely because it deviated from the manga heavily.

but the awe factor, thats something else, if you think that the awe factor is stronger, why? i say the anime is stronger, because its a better representation of what might look real.
skillosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 08:17   Link #7
Inuzuka
now with 20% more ego!

Send a message via MSN to Inuzuka
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillosopher
since ... anime ... 99% of ... manga...you too will agree that the naruto anime is better than the manga!
...but the awe factor, thats something else, if you think that the awe factor is stronger, why? i say the anime is stronger, because its a better representation ...
Seriously,don't you think it's a bit stupid to argue over this Thread?First of all,it'd be off topic,because the title of this thread is question on your perception of if the Anime/Manga is better.It's like saying that the opposition has to like the color you like because you do.
Regarding the awe factor,it's just a reasoning for you to think that the Anime is better,we don't have to know that.
(*To future posters on this thread:Stop arguing over which is better!Because it's all a matter of perception!*)

I voted Manga
Inuzuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 08:48   Link #8
Fantazy
Anime Siao

Send a message via MSN to Fantazy
IMO... It's definately going to be Anime. It let's you have more time to watch than you reading the manga, although there are fillers but some are quite interesting, Filler = More stuff Manga's good in a way too. But overall. I think Anime is the better one.
Fantazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 09:12   Link #9
lotus_lee

Please don't flame me for this. The manga is probably better but I don't really know and it's not really for me to discuss. However, I personally prefer the anime. Why? Well, I'm not really used to reading manga yet since the Naruto manga is the first manga I have ever read. I prefer moving pictures and voices and stuff. I mean, everyone is different after all.....
lotus_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 09:25   Link #10
Timpen

I think the manga is better because of the story. I'm not the kinda person that says no to an old game just because of it's graphics. I'd rather say no to a new game with super graphics that has no gameplay at all, for example.
Timpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 09:32   Link #11
salamando
Fire Elemental

Send a message via MSN to salamando
I like the anime better than the manga.
salamando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 09:51   Link #12
mastersppd
Judoka

Sorry to be off topic here but:

I was wondering if you guys could be so kind as to tell me where I can find some of those cool gif avatars you're sporting. Even better, how can I make my own? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
mastersppd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 09:55   Link #13
DeluxSkillz

the manga is better PERIOD art is way better the anime looks like crap in most eps, action in the manga is much better, manga readers get the real story not some added bullshit that never happened, manga readers get a uncut version of naruto not some kiddie version the manga is just way better if you actually take time and look at a manga page for more then just a glance you'll notice all the details and can imagine every move in motion the manga is just that good...the anime is ok but the manga is so much better the only thing good about the anime is the color and the voice actors nothing more nothing less
DeluxSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 10:02   Link #14
AngelKyo
Shizune is numba#1

Send a message via AIM to AngelKyo Send a message via MSN to AngelKyo Send a message via Yahoo to AngelKyo
haha i just noticed the poll questions. dont u mean i watch the anime AND READ manga? instead of i watch both the anime and manga. just pointing it out. LOL, anyways i voted for anime because i wanted to...
AngelKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 10:40   Link #15
salamando
Fire Elemental

Send a message via MSN to salamando
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxSkillz
not some added bullshit that never happened
I hate to break this to you but nothing in Naruto actually happened. It is fiction dude. =\
salamando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 10:42   Link #16
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka
Seriously,don't you think it's a bit stupid to argue over this Thread?First of all,it'd be off topic,because the title of this thread is question on your perception of if the Anime/Manga is better.It's like saying that the opposition has to like the color you like because you do.
Regarding the awe factor,it's just a reasoning for you to think that the Anime is better,we don't have to know that.
(*To future posters on this thread:Stop arguing over which is better!Because it's all a matter of perception!*)

I voted Manga
Arguing is fun! It's a VS thread to begin with as the thread title indicates. In a VS thread people tends to defend their liking. One way to do so is to reason it out. I am a anime-only watcher, so I can relate to what Skillosopher is saying. I can also relate to manga readers although I don't read the manga for Naruto. Reading is all about visualizing by using one's imagination. Unlike the animated motion, imagination doesn't have any sort of boundary. As a result the manga readers tend to get disappointed when it's counterpart, the anime, can't match the imagination (impossible). I read Robert Ludlum's three Bourne-series and saw the first two in theaters that were made into motion pictures. The amount of details that were omitted in the movies was ridiculous, still, both of the movies were actually very good. By the way, the third installment of the bourne series, The Bourne Ultimatum, is the best of the three books.

Back on topic. Just saying "I voted manga" or "I voted anime" would make this thread another dull one. Everyone should just come out screaming and state their reason behind why "manga is better" or "anime is better". I voted anime and I don't need to scream out my reasons because Skillosopher did it for me.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 11:14   Link #17
VMLM3
I had a good idea once...

Usually I tend to prefer mangas because of the story. Many times anime will deviate heavily from the original storyline, which is ok as long as they can pull off a story just as good as the originally intended, something that doesn't happen very often.
In the case of the Naruto series I prefer the anime. The story is good in both anime and manga (In fact practically the same. Granted some of the important details change, but I do not feel this to be a drastic change as long as you're willing to go with it.), I don't care about the filler, and I'm sure I'de care even less if I hadn't read the manga, considering I wouldn't know about it. I feel the fillers in Naruto help to consolidate Naruto's fantasy world through little critical details that the manga fails to deliver. Apart from that, despite what people tend to say (mostly dissapointed manga readers), the anime has a very good production team. The way they manage excitement, humor, action and drama is extremely enjoyable. I especially like the music, which isn't the most increadible thing I've heard, but they use it very well to capture the emotion in the scene (people who have seen any anime where the music just destroyed the mood or failed to convey the necessary emotion will know what I mean.)
VMLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 11:46   Link #18
yinstro

i think the mangas better, i think the anime has the potential to be better but its just not, especially recently. the complexion of naruto since about 87 or so in the anime has the disturbing trend of not being as entertaining. People say filler doesnt matter, but i noticed a lot of the filler before i ever read the manga, like you watch a flash back and they reference said f;ashback 3-4 times in one episode, even though the flashback was just revealed last episode..

As far as color and whatnot, i have imagination, and frankly the art in naruto anime is also getting worse, i ve yet to see a consistently well animated episode in a long time. One thing to consider is are you used to reading comics right to left, it can seriously confuse you if you dont know how to read manga, you will likely understand little of whats going on. The *edit*manga does tend to get to the point better, and really ive found all the recent arcs to be easily understandable fight scenes. reading the manga im often like.. wooow this will be so cool animated, then seeing it animated your often like... bleh. thats the real reason, reading manga after seeing story i have been like hmm, interesting. seeing anime after manga, recently has been bleh.
one thing if you like anime, dont read the manga, it will lower the anime in your eyes, especially if it continues on its current course. (redundant or corny type filler, poor animation quality, poor overall direction) keep in mind, if the anime gets better, like it used to be it will basically be a toss up.

Last edited by yinstro; 2004-09-11 at 15:27.
yinstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 12:08   Link #19
VMLM3
I had a good idea once...

First off yinstro the manga is pictures, granted you will need some imagination to know what's happening from scene to scene it isn't like reading a book where the extent to which you use your imagination is pretty much boundless.
Second, if you compare the art in naruto to the art in other mangas you'll realize that it is extremely messy, it's good, it's just not that good.
It's true that after reading the manga the anime can get somewhat boring.. which is why I've decided to only watch the anime. The thing is, after reading the manga not only do yo already know what's going to happen, you're waiting for those really cool scenes precisely because you've used your imagination. So while only watching the anime means you won't be using your imagination as much (well I tend to start thinking about everything they don't show and how the naruto world works, etc. But that's up to each reader and each viewer.) it does mean that it stops being dissapointing and starts being more enjoyable.
For example, I tried to read the manga from chapter one when I started reading but I simply couldn't, I already knew pretty much everything and was dissapointed that some of the scenes I liked very much never actually existed or lacked the 'coolness' they had in the anime. It's not a one way deal, it can happen both ways.
Oh and am I correct in assuming that you began watching the anime late and watched up to around say, episode 70 or so without having to wait weeks between episodes? This happened to me too, the fact is, you get used to the pace, and when you run out of episodes and have to wait a whole week for the next one you start getting bored of waiting. I've recently shown Naruto to some friends, everything from episode 80 or so to episode 100. They loved it, especially the sannin fight.
VMLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 12:13   Link #20
UserName

I started by watching the anime a long long time ago then I picked up the manga. I still watch/read both. But no way in hell is the anime better.

So in other words Manga > Anime. I've noticed the main reason for people liking Anime better is 'it has colors and talking and i don't like reading' in other words a lack of imagination.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote