AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ore no Imouto

Notices

View Poll Results: Ore no Imouto - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 8 11.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 22.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 22.22%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 13.89%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 20.83%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 4.17%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.39%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.39%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-02, 19:49   Link #21
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
!!! SARCASM ALERT !!!

After spending 12x20 minutes on the biggest let down of the season ... which for me proved quite interesting (the season, not this show), and getting bad rep for pointing out that Kirino, Ayase, and Kanako are sluts in potentia ...

supporting cast 4/5
Ruri and Saori shined in a couple of episodes about how cute Kirino was; Ayase and Kanako, despite being stupid and annoying, were characterized very well (for supporting cast, that is), even Manami was more consistently characterized than ...

... the main cast 1/5
Not only oblivious, immature, etc. They were inconsistent, but that's probably due to a bad scipt ...

... so the script, adaption, story composition, ... whatever 0/5
Since I am not familiar with the source, I do not know how faithful the anime was, but for a single cours show storytelling was all over the place.

animation 2/5
There was hardly any, but that is expected from this kind of shows. At least in an episode they were animating another show in the background ... maybe to prove that they can, but won't for the actual show

voice acting 3/5
Nothing annoying, but also nothing outstanding.

OP/EDs, and BGM 2/5
OP was OK for its genre, I skipped most EDs to watch something interesting, and I never really noticed the BGM. The main problem here as in KamiNomi was that they used actual songs for BGM during dialogue, which for non-native speakers (trying really hard) is frankly annoying

character designs 4/5
Better for an eroge, than a clinical juvenile slice-of-life ... wanna-be incest-romance.

doujinshi (ero, and non-) 5/5
Far better than the show itself ... sorry, but some themes are for adults

having a subforum for this show -5/5
It's still beyond me how you guys pick shows for sub-forums
Old 2011-01-05, 15:33   Link #22
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

I'd give the show probably a 7.
Not the greatest show ever, and certainly not a work of art, but it had some amusing moments.
In some sense I also quite liked the fact that the show didnt paint otaku in the most positive light (although to be fair I think there is a difference in how far gone most western fans/otaku probably are compared to the Japanese ones), as I'm sure perhaps the lack of social acceptance/awareness of it, has probably preyed on most of us at some point or another, unless you've been lucky enough to grow up surrounded by a group of friends or people with other similar interests.
Genshiken handled this probably with more subtlety, and a slower hand, but it was still nice to see the genre poking itself a little.

I think part of the reason I enjoyed is it also somewhat reminded me of my own relationship with my brother 5/6 years ago, we never got on as badly as my Kirino and Kyousuke, but he did have a much more rampant hobby than he does now, cosplay and the likes. At the time I didn't really have any interest in this area (what want wrong? haha), but like Kyousuke in the series, I was much more 'whatever' in terms of his hobby than the parents, and also hid the fact I knew he'd been looking at stuff that...well they really didnt need to know about. Not sure he even knows I know, but I guess in this sense it was somewhat nostalgic.

Now we're both older he's calmed down, and I've moved in a bit, so we talk on a more even level, which in some ways was slowly how the series was moving.
Reading: None at the moment
Old 2011-01-06, 13:12   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
I think part of the reason I enjoyed is it also somewhat reminded me of my own relationship with my brother 5/6 years ago, we never got on as badly as my Kirino and Kyousuke, but he did have a much more rampant hobby than he does now, cosplay and the likes. At the time I didn't really have any interest in this area (what want wrong? haha), but like Kyousuke in the series, I was much more 'whatever' in terms of his hobby than the parents, and also hid the fact I knew he'd been looking at stuff that...well they really didnt need to know about. Not sure he even knows I know, but I guess in this sense it was somewhat nostalgic.

Now we're both older he's calmed down, and I've moved in a bit, so we talk on a more even level, which in some ways was slowly how the series was moving.
That was part of the aspect I liked as well and for likewise reasons. I'm the eldest but have a much younger brother (all the other siblings have expired for various reasons) that I never really had any connection with at all til he got into college and started picking up hobbies and social/political interests that overlapped mine.
Old 2011-01-06, 19:21   Link #24
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Being the youngest child in a family where my siblings are all TEN PLUS YEARS OLDER THAN ME, I can actually relate to both Kirino and Kyousuke, weirdly. I'm a nice guy like Kyousuke (alot of that resonated with me, probably because I would do the same thing for the really irrational reason of her just being my little sister.) and I can be a bitch like Kirino sometimes (not often, but yeah. :P). Ore no Imouto is probably a show which, given some more time, could've been fleshed out into something more filling than what it is now. Of course, this is without the DVD/BD eps, so broadcast wise I'd say it was around a 6 to 7. It's not that great, but it made some ice breaker, and maybe got us to do a little self reflection too. :P It certainly looked and sounded fantastic, but the actual meat of the show failed to represent because of a lack of character development. Kyousuke's actions probably only made sense to those in a similar situation and with a similar personality - kind of like me, except I'm a fusion of both. XD

Overall a 6 to a 7, but Ore no Imouto will probably be regarded as an average anime that tried to do something special - and somewhat failed.
Old 2011-01-07, 05:51   Link #25
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Kyousuke's actions probably only made sense to those in a similar situation and with a similar personality
That may be true, but he probably would have gelled a lot better with other people, and even those who've been in this situation if he'd just had a bit more backbone...
Much as I got the series, as I mentioned above, I found myself a lot more fond of Kuroneko and Manami than Kyousuke by the end, simply because he had no sense of backbone for most of the series which made him feel a lot weaker than he should have been.
Reading: None at the moment
Old 2011-01-14, 16:56   Link #26
Seihai
スマイリウム

Wow! Now that my holidays are over and my first school week's done I thought I'd catch up to this series again. At first unwillingly, because I would just do it for completion's sake. Started back at episode 9-12 and I must say I felt like watching a new anime, the tide was finally turning around. Suddenly the jokes totally got me, I felt the chars developed pretty well and to top it off, the dere side finally showed up! I must say OreImou is one of the most unique and surprising shows of 2010 after I watched those last 3-4 episodes. I'm looking forward to the additional episodes. If it wasn't for the twist I would have given this a 6/10, but my final score is 9/10. Wow.
Old 2011-01-15, 06:49   Link #27
revive4563

The relationship between Kyousuke and Kirino as the main plot
5/10

I have little sister and honestly I can't say that she was mere family member for me when we were living in the same house.
But after all, the feelings like this are everywhere among siblings IMO. Therefore I hoped for something which is not corny to this series.
So I was disappointed with this series. I think sexual relation is NOT necessary always in the story like this.
But unfortunately, there was nothing new as this kind of story after all. Maybe major problem is Kirino was too childish in various meanings.
Though I don't want to call this troll...

Character
7/10

I think it succeeded in a sense.

Comedy about anime fanatic culture

8/10

Animation&Music
7/10

Overall
6/10

Last edited by revive4563; 2011-01-31 at 13:33. Reason: revise
Old 2011-01-25, 01:23   Link #28
_eternal
anthem core

Send a message via AIM to _eternal
I was more impressed by this show than I expected. I'm already a little disillusioned with the whole "meta otaku subculture" genre, especially the standard bishoujo series that use otaku girl characters just to add an extra layer of fantasy fulfillment, but I loved OreImo. A lot of that has to do with the fact that it's an excellent adaptation--beautifully animated, well paced, etc etc. My only theoretical complaint would be about the story (hobbies vs real life drama is meh), but thankfully that played a less important role than Kirino's development, which I quite enjoyed. I don't hate her nearly as much as the average viewer and I'd gladly take her over moeblobs like Nogizaka Haruka.

Altogether, I'm not sure if I'll bother with the manga since I'm not big on the plot and it won't look half as pretty as the anime, but I can say that I enjoyed this much more than your average seasonal bishoujo romance series. 7/10 for me.
Old 2011-03-09, 11:24   Link #29
grandchaosSR
Servant of the Void

Animation: 8/10

The animation is pretty decent. The character designs are average.

Music: 5.5/10

Its not memorable but it fits the story I guess...

Voice Actors: 7.5/10

I think the VAs did well portraying their characters.

Story and Characters: 4/10

The story itself is interesting but the problem is the characters or should I say the main characters. All the side characters are great from Manami to Kuroneko even Kyousuke's male buddy.

Ok I'm going to start with Kirino first. Kirino is a mary-sue. For some reason the author gives her all the desirable traits and the only "negative" trait that she has is her eroge obsession. So we can't really relate to her since she is almost perfect. But its ok. What I really don't understand is that she's 100% tsun and 0% dere(Kirino said it herself)...She's a sadist. The only thing that make her watchable is when she goes into wacky-otaku mode. To put it bluntly, Kirino is a character you can barely relate to and she is almost unlikable. In order for me to cope with this kind of character I treat her as an obstacle for the other main character.

Kyousuke on the other hand is the exact opposite of Kirino in a sense that he is somewhat plain and doesn't have an exceptional talent. But he is kind and patient. So I guess he is the character that the audience will root for. Unfortunately, too much kindness and patience can be considered as masochism. In this story, Kyousuke takes all the physical, emotional, financial and mental stress from Kirino. And for what? Nothing, nada. Kirino barely makes any changes in her character even in the last episode. She is still the same selfish, brat.

Conclusion:
Ore no Imouto wanted to be "Welcome to NHK" with an imouto twist but the show somewhat failed to deliver. It could have been great but its not. Episode 9 could be the turning point for Kirino but instead of changing for the better she would rather kick her brother and stick out her tongue.

Anyway I still enjoyed most of the episodes. I consider Episode 9 as one of the most facepalm but incredibly funny moments in anime history. And it almost tied with Amagami SS episode 3. And finally the most important question: What shipping am I going to support? - I'll support KyousukeXManami.

Verdict: 6.25
Closed Thread