AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-04, 17:18   Link #2881
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
I remember him being mentionned in a Bruce Lee documentary, but maybe I am wrong. I will check that.

I don't really know who he is. If he is so popular, maybe I should have added him in my Poll.
Congratulation, kid. You've succeeded in making me feel old.

Kung Fu, where he starred, was broadcasted on French TV... probably before you were born. Its sequel was also broadcasted, sometime in the late 90s. So you've got no excuse there. He also played Bill of, well, Kill Bill. No excuse there either. (Also, I took a look at your poll. Christophe Lambert? Seriously?)

He was no Bruce Lee, though. But the character he played was interesting.
Old 2009-06-04, 17:22   Link #2882
Lolipopo
Srsly ?
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Damn, this is sad. I remember watching these series when i was a kid and i spazzed forever when it was announced he was gonna portray Bill in Kill Bill. :x

Old 2009-06-04, 17:25   Link #2883
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

Kung Fu, where he starred, was broadcasted on French TV... probably before you were born. Its sequel was also broadcasted, sometime in the late 90s. So you've got no excuse there. He also played Bill of, well, Kill Bill. No excuse there either. (Also, I took a look at your poll. Christophe Lambert? Seriously?)

Oh that was him.

I am not really fan of Kill Bill <.<

(Well, Highlander <.< And Lv23 Was ok to put him in the poll, I blame her j/k)

About Bruce Lee, I was talking about that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by about the Kung Fu series
In her memoirs, Bruce Lee's widow asserts that Lee actually created the concept for the series, which was then stolen by Warner Bros.[2] However, there is no verifiable documentation of such an incident, and Herbie Pilato, in his 1993 book The Kung Fu Book of Caine: The Complete Guide to TV's First Mystical Eastern Western, commented on the casting history for the series, particularly on the involvement of both David Carradine and Bruce Lee:

Before the filming of the Kung Fu TV movie began, there was some discussion as to whether or not an Asian actor should play Kwai Chang Caine. Bruce Lee was considered for the role. In 1971, Bruce Lee wasn't the cult film hero he later became for his roles in Fists of Fury (1971), Enter the Dragon (1973), and Game of Death (1978). At that point he was best known as Kato on TV's Green Hornet (1966-1967) (Kung Fu guest actor Robert Ito reports that Lee hated the role of Kato because he "thought it was so subservient"). "In my eyes and in the eyes of Jerry Thorpe," says Harvey Frand, "David Carradine was always our first choice to play Caine. But there was some disagreement because the network was interested in a more muscular actor and the studio was interested in getting Bruce Lee." Frand says Lee wouldn't have really been appropriate for the series — despite the fact that he went on to considerable success in the martial arts film world. The Kung Fu show needed a serene person, and Carradine was more appropriate for the role. Ed Spielman agrees: "I liked David in the part. One of Japan's foremost Karate champions used to say that the only qualification that was needed to be trained in the martial arts was that you had to know how to dance. And on top of being an accomplished athlete and actor, David could dance." Nonetheless, grumbling from the Asian community would have made sense, given the fact that minor roles for Asian actors were almost nonexistent. James Hong, an actor on the show and ex-president of the Association of Asian/Pacific American Artists (AAPAA) says that at the time Asian actors felt that "if they were going to do a so-called Asian hero on Kung Fu, then why don't they hire an Asian actor to play the lead? But then the show went on, we realized that it was a great source of employment for the Asian acting community." In fact, Hong says, Carradine had a good relationship with the Asian community. (pages 32-33)
The Shaolin Temple which appeared in flashbacks was originally a set used for the 1967 film, Camelot. It was inexpensively and effectively converted for the setting in China.
Old 2009-06-04, 18:23   Link #2884
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ack, I was a fan of the Green Hornet and Kato as well....

yeah.. the series Kung Fu opened the doors for almost the entire Asian-American acting community in American television back then. It was also one of the earlier moments when "white jackass racists" were used as villains.
Old 2009-06-04, 18:55   Link #2885
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It was also one of the earlier moments when "white jackass racists" were used as villains.
That, and those Blaxploitation TV movies which were also in their hayday.

R.I.P. David Carradine. Death Race 2000. . .haha.
Old 2009-06-04, 19:53   Link #2886
Shadow Kira01

Air France crash: mystery of plane disappearances

I am not sure what to say as that Flight 447 does have many questionable points in regards to its disappearance. It is almost a possibility that the 228 people may still be alive somewhere but taking the approach more scientifically, is it possible for people to stay alive for such a long period of time after wreckages of a plane has just been discovered?

If you think positively, the people may actually be alive. If you think logically and scientifically, there really isn't any hope. However, if you compare this case with the other missing plane cases, it is actually difficult to say unless you think nothing of the Bermuda Triangle.
Old 2009-06-04, 21:42   Link #2887
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Air France crash: mystery of plane disappearances

I am not sure what to say as that Flight 447 does have many questionable points in regards to its disappearance. It is almost a possibility that the 228 people may still be alive somewhere but taking the approach more scientifically, is it possible for people to stay alive for such a long period of time after wreckages of a plane has just been discovered?

If you think positively, the people may actually be alive. If you think logically and scientifically, there really isn't any hope. However, if you compare this case with the other missing plane cases, it is actually difficult to say unless you think nothing of the Bermuda Triangle.
Yeah, this was a serious story that got lost under the flooding of debate on US healthcare here, someone else posted the link for the initial story, but all that comes to mind for me too is "Bermuda Triangle" moment.
It's freaky as hell and must be torture for the relatives.
Are they alive or dead, are their bodies lost to sea forever...

For the plane to drop off the radar with the last communicated signal being
'electrical fault'
and that's it is like... huh!?
No SOS, no emergency engine notice, no... nothing...

Last I heard, submarines are deep in the sea trying to scope things but the Brazilan side have found small trails debris of the plane, so I think the assmuption is that it must have hit the sea.
But correct if I'm wrong.
Seeing as 70% of Earth = sea, I'm sure pilots are trained for this kinda landing and this kinda hazard, so it's still very much

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-06-04 at 23:25.
Old 2009-06-04, 22:08   Link #2888
Shadow Kira01

Japan, U.S. to seek strong U.N. resolution on N. Korea's nuclear test]

Once again, the "strong U.N. resolution" will turn out as something lame and ineffective. After all, the world is currently being manipulated by some of these rather disagreeing veto-wielders in the shadows. China would like the world to lift economic sanctions from North Korea, claiming that it is ineffective. China would like the world to keep a cool-head approach to North Korea's recent behaviors of aggression for unexplainable reasons. And now, China managed to get Russia to agree with them on opposing strong UN resolutions because Japan won't back off on the issue of the Northern Islands.

Generally, Russia is willing to support the strong UN resolution only if Japan gave up their Northern Islands in exchange. However, this so-called strong UN resolution will not be everlasting as that the next time North Korea tests their missiles and nukes, Russia can change their national approach to the issue to what it is now. Generally, whether Japan hold a firm stance on the issue of the Northern Islands or not will not matter much as that China and Russia have obvious intentions of supporting North Korea and their irresponsible actions.

*sigh*

I wonder if there will actually be a day in which the world functions properly. Seeing how things are now, I have many doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
'electrical fault'

Last I heard, submarines are deep in the sea trying to scope things but the Brazilan side have found small trails debris of the plane, so I think the assmuption is that it must have hit the sea.
Seeing as 70% of Earth = sea, I'm sure pilots are trained for this kinda landing and this kinda hazard, so it's still very much
The only possible explanation to the incident would be that the pilots are very well-trained for this sort of emergency reaction situation but unfortunately, there is a possibility that the equipment and system on the plane was malfunctioning which also explains why there were no SOS or emergency engine notices. Generally, the crew of the plane most likely had tried to communicate with the ones on the land but the ones on the land don't know about this.

I am not confused at all on the issue, I just hope those 228 people or at least, a proportion of the group of missing people will one day return safely. The suspicious point is that there was a geologist, as well as 3 young doctors on the plane. If this incident is really tied to the Bermuda Triangle, I would assume that at least these 4 people are certainly alive and doing okay. Although, the search crew had found plane wreckages but they did not discover any people at all, dead or alive which indicates that they are just plain missing. Even so, I guess the family and friends of the missing individuals can't feel too positive about it either. Its been a few days already, what's to expect...?
Old 2009-06-04, 22:43   Link #2889
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I did a bit of research - this area where the plane went down is so far out there that there is no radar coverage of the area and poor radio contact. The debris trail and the weather in the area tend to suggest that they encountered what one might call a 'super storm cell' with windflows that far exceed structural limits. No one on board may have even had time to say "o shit" (the usual last remarks heard on a flight recorder).

Collecting the black-box will provide much illumination -- even down at 14000 feet, navy sub trawlers can seek out these things with precision sonar.

No comment on "Bermuda Triangle" remarks, ya'll wouldnt believe me anyway
Old 2009-06-05, 09:19   Link #2890
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post

While the original reports of wreckage aren't from Flight 447, it's almost certain that the plane has crashed into the ocean, and that all those onboard are dead. There's no realistic scenario that can posit their surviving this tragedy. Here's an image from the BBC that shows a timeline of events:

Unless someone has moved Bermuda recently, the Bermuda Triangle has absolutely nothing to do with this event:

Quote:
'electrical fault'
While the last radio contact was sometime before Flight 447 dropped from radar, there were some automated signals reporting systematic failures for quite a while after that. The exact cause of what happened is still a mystery, and will probably remain so until the flight data recorder is recovered, but there's no mystery surrounding the crash itself.

Quote:
There are very very few successful water landings, and doing so in the open ocean is pretty much out of the question.
Old 2009-06-05, 13:13   Link #2891
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Water landings are generally best attempted at low altitudes and slow speeds... not from 40,000 feet at 90% of the speed of sound and probably in a spiraling freefall after what was probably massive structural failure.
Old 2009-06-05, 13:16   Link #2892
sa547
*Author

A water landing at higher speeds is often ugly, having seen on TV a 2-engine jetliner wheelbarrel and then tear itself apart when it landed with one wing dipping first into the water.

Recovery's gonna be hard.
Old 2009-06-05, 13:43   Link #2893
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Water landings are generally best attempted at low altitudes and slow speeds... not from 40,000 feet at 90% of the speed of sound and probably in a spiraling freefall after what was probably massive structural failure.
If we're talking about "best", I'd say water landing are best attempted in a fully functional, adequately fueled hydroplane. In good weather.
Old 2009-06-05, 13:57   Link #2894
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Scientifically, that plane is going to tear itself apart once it hits the water due to change of fluid medium. General physics.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-06-05, 14:12   Link #2895
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

French Nuclear Sub joins search for black box and plane debris. It also appears the stuff they've found so far is just ocean garbage and large ship pee (oil slick) .... in other words, oceanic litter - not from the plane.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8085539.stm
Old 2009-06-05, 14:56   Link #2896
Shadow Kira01

Hatoyama tells S. Korea's Lee DPJ 'not tied' to nationalism

Hatoyama seems to be pretty idealistic. His proposals to South Korea seems somewhat unrealistic, even though its sound like a very good ideal. Perhaps, it will work out at first with Lee Myung Bak's help but soon enough, the two of them will realize that the pretty words of the leaders are not enough to change bileratal ties.

An enemy of an enemy does not necessarily mean an ally. Although South Korea isn't getting along too well with the North Koreans mainly because they don't want to receive tons of immigrants from an under-developed nation that suffers poverty and famine, not mentioning that their economy will also take a toll. Nonetheless, North Korea's nuclear activities is not a threat to South Korea as that by dropping nukes or launching cruise missiles will destroy North Korea's main objectives of mass immigration and economy takeover. Perhaps, improved relations between Japan and South Korea may lead to some Korean conservatives agreeing to help out on the issue of North Korea but their words will bear no weight. In fact, if the two Koreas were to enter a truce, their biggest enemy would be Japan and that isn't good.

Perhaps, this recent approach of Hatoyama's with 2MB was a method to show to the supporters of the Democratic Party of Japan that the secretary general Okada Katsuya isn't just a decoration and that he isn't a puppet regime by Ozawa Ichiro as that he is currently carrying out the will of Okada Katsuya. And thus, it explains why a blue-blood like Hatoyama is proposing some rather unrealistic ideals.

Quote:
Unless someone has moved Bermuda recently, the Bermuda Triangle has absolutely nothing to do with this event:
Spoiler:
I actually didn't know the actual coordinates of the plane site. Looking at your image here indicates that this case has absolutely nothing to do with the Bermuda Triangle.. Apparently, tons of people are trying to tie this case with it and somehow, I ended up believing it without actually checking the coordinates.
Old 2009-06-05, 16:35   Link #2897
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post

Quote:
Yeah, this was a serious story that got lost under the flooding of debate on US healthcare here, someone else posted the link for the initial story, but all that comes to mind for me too is "Bermuda Triangle" moment.
It's freaky as hell and must be torture for the relatives.
I know it's up in the Carribbean, but 'missing transport devices' over the sea have that kinda feeling and I suspect the anguish on the relatives are no less different.
Planes just don't "disappear" like that, but here we have on our hands a case of one doing so. :\

As logical as you can all be in regards to how the plane went down and most likely changes of surivial of incredibly slim (5 days and counting?)
Semi curious, if that was one of your relatives on the plane and you hear:
'Oh plane gone. Chances are that no one survived.
Body?
None. No grave or funeral for you.
Visual proof of crash?
None. (hopefully "yet")
- Just accept this likable and logical fact and move on please.

There's a part inside for many people that'll never rest.
Brain may say 'yes', most likely, we'll never see them again' but inside, there's always the 'what if'?
Since humans have proven time and time again to survive all odds, while there's lack on infomation and just mass areas of grey, one can never truly rest and move on it feels like, must be a horrible way to live.
Quote:
While the last radio contact was sometime before Flight 447 dropped from radar, there were some automated signals reporting systematic failures for quite a while after that. The exact cause of what happened is still a mystery, and will probably remain so until the flight data recorder is recovered, but there's no mystery surrounding the crash itself.
Quote:
France has dispatched a boat with a mini-submarine, the Nautile, aboard. This can operate at a depth of 6,000m, but it was not expected to reach the zone until early next week.
Yeah they're still on it, but it's a race against time, since these black boxes stop emitting signals after 30 days or something, so plently of , doesn't really help anyone to cope with the surreal yet unfortunate reality with it all.
And as Vexx updated the trails of debris were a false alarm, so basically, they're back on square 1 huh.
And yeesh, not a lot of positive notes on water landings huh, lol.
Wonder if this'll shove more people into the fear box in terms of international flights and not getting on a plane.
At least for a lot of Brazillians (who lost all 199 people in an aircrash 2 years ago) - this is a very very bitter and painful reminder to have to once deal with.

Thanks for the pics tho Tran, iirc they're from the BBC's articles which keep on getting updated with various stats and maps.
I mentioned bermuda triangle for it being seemingly spooky as those stories are in terms of sudden disappearance over sea, but yeah, sorry for confuzzling anyone on that note.
Location is up north somewhat and besides the media would have milked that theory before we ever did if it did disappear over the triangle itself.
(AFAIK, no one has offically tried to...) >.>

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-06-05 at 16:54.
Old 2009-06-05, 16:46   Link #2898
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The silly thing is that these equatorial storms have always been there and the planes have tools to spot storm cells and such (doppler radar, etc) --- so its really curious why they would have gotten so close to a super storm cell. There's always the possibility it was a "clear air" event (rare but spectacular) -- again, the flight recorders will describe what happened and then we can reverse-engineer the cause.

Air travel is still statistically the safest method of travel (walking in the city is more dangerous) and intensive investigations with resulting changes in protocol is one reason why.
Old 2009-06-05, 16:54   Link #2899
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

Carradine was also the antagonist Justin in the 1980s epic "North & South" that was aired in the late 1980s in La Cinq, if my memories serves me right; then it later got rerun on a sunday afternoon in M6, finally its lastest rerun was in March 2009 on Arte.

His portrayal of Justin was pretty good.
(However, the actress was acted as Ashton stole the show as the villain you loved to hate. This is another story tho )

RIP David Carradine. I would never understand why you did it.
Old 2009-06-05, 17:05   Link #2900
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
RIP David Carradine. I would never understand why you did it.
Actually, more information coming out suggests it might have been simply a terribly embarrassing fatal accident. o.O

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international