Notices

Old 2024-03-12, 11:21   Link #221
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
such a good fight.

while he manage to hide his strenght this time thanks to his friends, it's just matter of time and he knows that.
I can't even really say he managed to hide his strength this time. There's no way the Inspector doesn't know. Having a Rank C mage with one arm defeat a top notch Rank B assassin? Better off saying he was struck down by God than expecting him to swallow that explanation .

I suppose on paper he still managed to keep his cover. But that guy certainly knows so he should absolutely expect that information to spread within the Hunter's Organization. His time staying out of the spotlight should be close to being over.
Old 2024-03-13, 14:34   Link #222
Rasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I can't even really say he managed to hide his strength this time. There's no way the Inspector doesn't know. Having a Rank C mage with one arm defeat a top notch Rank B assassin? Better off saying he was struck down by God than expecting him to swallow that explanation .

I suppose on paper he still managed to keep his cover. But that guy certainly knows so he should absolutely expect that information to spread within the Hunter's Organization. His time staying out of the spotlight should be close to being over.
His goal isn't to hide that he is strong, but to hide that he is progressively getting stronger (leveling up). If he can delay it getting out until he has S-grade (or at least A-grade) stats he can always say he had a second awakening (which is rare, but not unique) and has always been S-grade since then. If it got out now that he has B-grade stats and later he fights evenly with an S-grade it would be a massive problem for him since he would be the only one like that. So them not getting a confirmation about his strength yet is all he needs.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-14, 08:38   Link #223
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

So all Hunters have awakenings that let them enter dungeons and Jinwoo stands out for having a second awakening in episode 3? Jinwoo's second awakening is whatever those statues from episode 2 turned him into a multiplayer roleplaying game
Old 2024-03-14, 10:02   Link #224
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
So all Hunters have awakenings that let them enter dungeons and Jinwoo stands out for having a second awakening in episode 3? Jinwoo's second awakening is whatever those statues from episode 2 turned him into a multiplayer roleplaying game
I wonder if there's more to it than that because I don't think awakenings tend to function as comprehensive game systems.
Old 2024-03-14, 12:04   Link #225
Rasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
From what I gathered the second awakening is basically like a one-time bump in stats. Not sure whether it can give you new abilities altogether (a swordsman getting to throw fireballs) but it definitely doesn't give you a game system. So whatever Jinwoo got isn't a second awakening, but provided he is given enough time to grow he can pretend it was.
Old 2024-03-14, 12:39   Link #226
Twi

Basically. A 2nd Awakening is a one-time boost that can basically increase your rank, a rarity that rarely occurs. However, that's separate from whatever happened to him. There's no reference for what happened to him, so people assume that he had a 2nd Awakening.
Old 2024-03-15, 11:20   Link #227
Decel

A second awakening is like a stat refresh, and as mentionned happens once and the new stats (always better, never heard of worst) are like the first awakening: they're set in stone. Also, they're rare enough to be news-worthy.

Jinwoo's awakening is a whole other mechanic that has never occured before: stat progression. Don't forget that at the start of ep 3 when he woke up in the hospital, his stats were identical to when he entered the dungeon. So in that aspect alone it differs from the traditional second-awakening.
Old 2024-03-16, 11:59   Link #228
Frontier

Jinwoo and Joohee are enjoying a pleasant evening stroll, with Joohee reflecting on how much Jinwoo has changed and how little she has...so timid she always went on safer and less dangerous quests, but that brought her to Jinwoo, so something good came out of it! Even if it also means she feels it's right to retire and move back in with her parents, which seems to bum both her and Jinwoo out. They never got to go on their date .

Well, nice of Woo to warn Jinwoo about Dongwoo (and he probably has his own suspicious about Jinwoo too), having a monster of an S-Rank Hunter out to kill you is pretty worrisome...but then you just need to become an even fierce monster than them !

Jinho has put together a pretty...eclectic strike team, though they're mostly there to just fill out the numbers and wait while Jinwoo solos the thing. Also here's Song-Yi, Jinwoo's sisters' friend, who loves proclaiming she's a legit hunter despite being a teenager and not being all that high-ranked. But hey, a fierce Miyu Tomita character is never a bad thing .

(And is she starting to crush on Jinwoo over that montage? Could we have a budding tsundere ?)

They got a pretty good thing going! Jinwoo solos the dungeons, Jinho collects the crystals, everyone ends up much richer even those who barely do anything. At some point they even get a little picnic going! And Jinwoo levels up enough to even earn a job change !

I guess it was only a matter of time before someone put two and two together with everything going on with Jinwoo, and Ahn with the White Tiger Guild sees someone worth recruiting, though Jinwoo drives a hard bargain and an even HARDER bargain (with threat of death) to anyone he thinks will blab his secrets. Earned Ahn a knick to the face thanks to Jinwoo's stealth skill for thinking he could buy out what Jinwoo's worth and investigate him on the sly...he's lucky he just got scammed into helping Jinwoo make more money with Jinho. Though it doesn't seem like he's giving up on Jinwoo either .

Here's a random woman's butt shot .

Jeez, what DID happen on Jeul Island ?

Why did Jinwoo need time off? Why, to go on his job change quest of course !
Old 2024-03-16, 20:24   Link #229
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I suppose it's interesting to have a protagonist where you aren't sure if he's going to murder someone in public or not .

Mostly just an episode of montages and level grinding. Perfectly fine I suppose. While on some level I do feel for the friend of the main character's sister, but if she is E-rank then this is probably the best deal she'll ever get. Might as well cash in on this effective lottery win and just take the money. Even if she's not gaining any combat experience...at E rank there's only so much value she'd get long term anyways. Probably best to just take the money here and then retire since she won't be that effective anyways.
Old 2024-03-17, 12:40   Link #230
Greenish Growth

I've never thought about this until now, but don't South Korean fight grinding, level up type stories have a disproportionate amount of mission assignment gaming pop up screens in them?

Some of them even have role playing type missions. I dislike the role playing type missions because they make the story feel even more artificially game-like than it already is. Role playing missions are the tipping point for me when I wish they would get back more to reality instead of performing like a stage play role.

I wonder where this "mission assignment" mind set came from for it to be more popular in stories there?
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-17, 14:12   Link #231
Rasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Mostly just an episode of montages and level grinding. Perfectly fine I suppose. While on some level I do feel for the friend of the main character's sister, but if she is E-rank then this is probably the best deal she'll ever get. Might as well cash in on this effective lottery win and just take the money. Even if she's not gaining any combat experience...at E rank there's only so much value she'd get long term anyways. Probably best to just take the money here and then retire since she won't be that effective anyways.
If she is hellbent on being a hunter she can also use the money to get some decent equipment. A large part of the reason Jinwoo was so useless (getting always hurt and rarely killing anything) is that he never used his money on equipment. If he had something like a basic armor and decent weapon he could have likely kept pace with the others by just having superior experience.
Old 2024-03-17, 16:11   Link #232
EroKing

Old 2024-03-17, 22:47   Link #233
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
Though you might still collect a bit of a Harem .
Old 2024-03-18, 06:53   Link #234
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

This episode was kinda lighthearted in comparison to previous ones. Jinwoo now has no problems with monsters.
Old 2024-03-18, 09:58   Link #235
Decel

Don't forget that monsters are tiered by the dungeon. C-Level dungeons are no match since Jinwoo's between B and A, as mentioned in the episode.
Old 2024-03-18, 14:26   Link #236
Chosen_Hero

This series would be far more interesting if the level up mechanic wasn't exclusive to the MC.
Old 2024-03-18, 15:59   Link #237
Greenish Growth

Imagine if the show was called Group Leveling.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-18, 16:38   Link #238
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Growth View Post
Imagine if the show was called Group Leveling.
It can keep the name just change how things work slightly, there are many ways to interpret the words solo leveling.
Old 2024-03-18, 23:28   Link #239
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
This series would be far more interesting if the level up mechanic wasn't exclusive to the MC.
Found the premise for the mobile game (I assume) .
Old 2024-03-19, 01:25   Link #240
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Found the premise for the mobile game (I assume) .
Nope, didn't even know that there was a mobile game.