AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-15, 22:16   Link #461
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

This series is so fun! Bishounen, stalkers, penguins, lingerie GALORE.

This really is the best anime this season.
Old 2011-07-15, 22:43   Link #462
hanashi

Quote:
I'm not sure what Himari /the possessed hat ripped out of Kan, it was clearly reminiscent of Utena, but for now I think there can only be speculation- his dna-destined program, his human restrictions, I can only guess...?
Am I the only one that saw that as some sort of rape symbolism? I wondered whether Princess was ripping out energy or *coughEssensecough* but the first episode was inconclusive. In the first episode, she stripped naked, a penguin conveniently trap-doored Sho, she ripped something out of Kanba, and the scene faded to black. But in the second episode, we see Kan on the train and he looks exhausted. It makes sense that she'd need some sort of energy source to revive Himari but if she's completely healed, why would there be a continued need for the survival strategy?

As a survival strategy, finding a constantly renewable source of energy is a good strategy and Kan is a teenage boy. With a less than pure focus on his little sister. And if you carry the emotions as energy/power to the next logical step, it makes sense that Ringo's diary would be an object of power. That's some pretty intense emotion accumulated over ages of stalking. I wonder if it's the emotion itself or the shade of taboo attached to it. That might be why she can get energy from Kan and not Sho.

It's too early to tell what it all means but that scene is super suggestive.

Last edited by hanashi; 2011-07-16 at 00:30.
Old 2011-07-15, 22:56   Link #463
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Thanks for the clarification, 8thSin... in between, I was half-joking when cursing the translation, despite prefering to leave the engrish intact in subs.
Old 2011-07-15, 22:59   Link #464
Funkatron
Highly irregular

My theory on the penguin drum:

Spoiler:
Old 2011-07-15, 23:06   Link #465
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thSin View Post
BTW, "Mawaru (spin)" part is also written illegally as 「輪る」, which is wheel/cycle. In fact, the title was frequently written as 「廻るピングドラム」 online before it started to show in TV guides. I would say the best translation for the line is "Revolving Penguin Drum" rather than "Spinning" for "Mawaru" because of kanji.

Some 2ch speculators say the title is actually "Warping Drum", since that kanji also reads as "Wa", but we'll have to see what happens in following eps to determine if that's the case.
Ah, I was wondering what "mawaru" meant, when I tried plugging it into google translate I actually got "evil" but that must've been another kanji, thanks for the clarification!
Old 2011-07-16, 01:37   Link #466
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

On ep 2....

Hmmm.....

I want the PENGUINS, I want the penguins,i want the penguins. No,buy me the penguins,i only want the penguins. Nooooooooo ;_; *throw tantrum*

Ep 2 is more fun than i expects,and the stalking incidents were hilarious with Mr. Number 1 and Number 2 (did #2 eat ice-cream in the end before swallow the whole box?). The stalking girl is totally unexpected. My favourite characters in order are still: the Penguin princess,#2, Himari, #1&3, the stalking girl, Sho, Kanba

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2011-07-16 at 01:56.
Old 2011-07-16, 02:42   Link #467
sa547
*Author

I recall that Ringo means Apple, and there's also an apple in both OP and ED. But one has to notice closely the laptop the brothers were using while directing their penguin proxies to just about anywhere.

It's a Macbook running OSX.
Old 2011-07-16, 02:49   Link #468
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
He wish it was a blessing. But the fact is they were giving this "reward" for a price they did not even know of.

It's like someone giving me a million dollars and say "on, by the way, accepting this money means you need to do something for me. I will tell you want it is later".
Except instead of a measly one million dollars, it's the life of your sister that no human doctor on Earth could save.

Quote:
Himari's new life isn't free. The worst thing is we don't actually know what the price is going to be, and that's scary. Especially since her continued existence needs to be maintained... This means at any time, Himari can become dead again if the Princess is so inclined.
All the more reason to show more hustle. Being curious, even suspicious about what's happening is one thing. I wouldn't blame him for wanting to get away with as little damage as possible. But what he's doing is dragging his feet instead of clinging to the miracle as hard as he can.
Old 2011-07-16, 03:03   Link #469
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Except instead of a measly one million dollars, it's the life of your sister that no human doctor on Earth could save.
Himari isn't SAVED. Her continued existence is under the whim of the Princess. The second the brothers disobey orders, the deal is off and Himari dies.

And we don't even know what it means to follow her orders.
Old 2011-07-16, 03:07   Link #470
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanashi View Post
Am I the only one that saw that as some sort of rape symbolism? I wondered whether Princess was ripping out energy or *coughEssensecough* but the first episode was inconclusive. In the first episode, she stripped naked, a penguin conveniently trap-doored Sho, she ripped something out of Kanba, and the scene faded to black. But in the second episode, we see Kan on the train and he looks exhausted. It makes sense that she'd need some sort of energy source to revive Himari but if she's completely healed, why would there be a continued need for the survival strategy?

As a survival strategy, finding a constantly renewable source of energy is a good strategy and Kan is a teenage boy. With a less than pure focus on his little sister. And if you carry the emotions as energy/power to the next logical step, it makes sense that Ringo's diary would be an object of power. That's some pretty intense emotion accumulated over ages of stalking. I wonder if it's the emotion itself or the shade of taboo attached to it. That might be why she can get energy from Kan and not Sho.

It's too early to tell what it all means but that scene is super suggestive.
I'm not sure I'd call it rape, but I do think she ripped out some of Kanba's life energy or whatever you want to call it in order to sustain Himari's life (and her own). If The Princess of Crystal can't find another supply of energy, obviously Kanba will die and so will Himari eventually. I don't think Survival Stratagy implies reproduction as others suggested, but simply... survival. The Penguin Drum is the device that will enable everyone to survive (or maybe only the Princess of Crystal or the penguins, if she turns out to be evil).

As for why Kanba kissed Himari, I think he's in love with her and always has been, plain and simple.
Old 2011-07-16, 03:21   Link #471
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Himari isn't SAVED. Her continued existence is under the whim of the Princess. The second the brothers disobey orders, the deal is off and Himari dies.
Personally i think it's a bit early in the series to 100% believe everything the princess says. Who knows what is true and what's not at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
As for why Kanba kissed Himari, I think he's in love with her and always has been, plain and simple.
I wouldn't be surprised, though the princess stealing his heart might have something to do with Kanba kissing her. I just think there's a bigger purpose and don't think it has anything to do with stealing his life energy.
Old 2011-07-16, 03:38   Link #472
4Tran

Quote:
The only question isn't if the Princess is the enemy, but if there is an even worse enemy than her that the brothers had to worry about.

Because I once thought that Ringo might have a chance of being an ally. But now... I am not so sure.
She's threatening them so blatantly that it seems unlikely they'll be allies. Heck, she hasn't even offered her name yet. Then again, we have almost no context for determining what's going on or what the show is about yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziziphus View Post
Hmm, I remember reading somewhere that they're called WH, which can be pronounced pretty similar to Double-H, so which is correct? Is there an official name somewhere?
It's WH, but Himari pronounces it "Double H".

Quote:
Another question: this week's Survival Strategy meeting doesn't include the last scene where Himari takes sth out of Kan's chest, so does that mean it didn't happen? Or they just didn't show us?
It's possible that she already got what she needed from Kanba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
You're not the only one that cheered . Ikuhara sure does love his flower frames, so it was a nice return to see them again. We've been getting a lot of early Utena camera work since the first episode, so it's only right that he starts to use some of his other trademarks.
Well, he seemed to be moving away from a lot of Utena's themes and art design, so I thought that he might drop the roses as well. Guess not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Spoiler for ep 1:
If the brothers are supposed to be WH, then that means that they'd be tossing themselves in the trash. That doesn't seem like a very elegant interpretation to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Spoiler for Episode 2:
If the brothers are fine with breaking less important laws, are they then also willing to break more serious ones? It's possible the the whole excursion is a lie and that the Penguin hat is only using it to gain greater power over the brothers.

Quote:
I thought that this episode was great, not as awe inspiring as the first, but I still glued to the screen, and is still wanting to rewatch it again.
Really? Not saying this show isn't fun to watch and has great humor, but I wouldn't say it's the funniest this year.
Humor works differently for different people, and I happen to find most anime humor unfunny. Episode 2 really was the funniest anime for me this year. Albeit I haven't tried watching very many comedies either, but most of them have left me cold anyways.

Quote:
Spoiler for :
At some point, they're going to have to spill the beans to Himari, and that episode is going to be fun to watch. Shouma is less useful than Kanba in stalking Ringo, but without him, who knows how far Kanba would have gone?

Quote:
That being said, I don't think mess would be an accurate way to describe it, since the show clearly had much thought gone into making it. In these two episodes, I don't think I've seen it more made out of things that look cool for the sake of looking cool as much as being carefully placed an made (to look meaningful and cool)
There's certainly a strong sense of purpose imported to just about all the elements in Penguindrum - from the music to the sound design to the writing to the plot and so forth. Given the attention to detail, I don't think there's anything in the show that isn't there for a specific reason.

Quote:
My favorite part of the episode

Kanba's penguin through and through. Spread girl legs open and stares at their panties without flinching
My favorite was simply the reveal of what Kanba intended to do with the tape. It's classic Ikuhara misdirection: imply something, and then subvert it with something else that works even better. Just a wonderful piece of direction.

The only thing that I'm fairly certain of in Penguindrum right now is that the overall plot is going to be relatively unimportant. Instead, the show is going to mostly be about the themes and the character stories. Outside of that, I really have no clue what's going to happen next. Heck, I'm not sure what genre the show is in: Mystery? Fantasy? Comedy? Science Fiction? Anybody have any ideas?
Old 2011-07-16, 03:47   Link #473
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
She's less dead now than she was on that hospital bed.

Quote:
And we don't even know what it means to follow her orders.
That's not a problem that can be solved by whining and then going along anyway. They've basically got two paths:
- call the Hat's bluff, and see what happens to Himari.
- obey while trying to find out more.
Old 2011-07-16, 03:55   Link #474
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

It seems the big overarching theme of this anime is going to be fate. Basically how each character deals with the cards they're dealt with in life, how they perceive their fortunes, and what they try to do. Do they accept fate? Fight against it? Try to change it?

Of course there are many other interesting things going on as well. I find it extremely impressive how packed these two episodes were with themes ranging from more light hearted to heavy, and all the while making it an extremely entertaining and fun ride.

Penguindrum is yet another example to me of just how important the director of an anime is. Good writers are necessary too, but the director is what makes the series shine. Ikuhara is just absolutely brilliant here.
Old 2011-07-16, 04:22   Link #475
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
The only thing that I'm fairly certain of in Penguindrum right now is that the overall plot is going to be relatively unimportant. Instead, the show is going to mostly be about the themes and the character stories. Outside of that, I really have no clue what's going to happen next. Heck, I'm not sure what genre the show is in: Mystery? Fantasy? Comedy? Science Fiction? Anybody have any ideas?
Penguin.

No, seriously, the "Penguin Genre" is in the process of becoming a minor meme.
Old 2011-07-16, 04:30   Link #476
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Old 2011-07-16, 04:39   Link #477
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

^Would love a clean version.
Old 2011-07-16, 08:36   Link #478
Ziziphus
Whatever

Quote:
It's WH, but Himari pronounces it "Double H".

Oh yeah, thanks for the answer.

Quote:
Outside of that, I really have no clue what's going to happen next. Heck, I'm not sure what genre the show is in: Mystery? Fantasy? Comedy? Science Fiction? Anybody have any ideas?
I think it's supernatural, comedy, and maybe mystery.
Old 2011-07-16, 09:20   Link #479
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

LOLz to the penguin genre idea.

Loved the second episode as much as the first one~ I'm most interested in knowing more about the brothers, hehe. I wonder how similar their penguins are to their sibling partners, teehee

@Ravenblitz
Thanks for the image xD
Old 2011-07-16, 09:26   Link #480
Kirarakim

Quote:
I think it's supernatural, comedy, and maybe mystery.
I expect it to get darker as the show goes on. There are already some dark moments like the ending of episode 1 and the whole stalking thing with Ringo.

Although I hope the comedy continues as well.

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism