Notices

Old 2011-11-04, 00:08   Link #361
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
To fit the norse theme, Borknagar.
I like Sheba's idea I'll take the name Vermundr. "Var" and "Mund" in Proto-Norse terms.
Old 2011-11-04, 01:01   Link #362
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Spoiler for Super Spoilers, dont click if you want to be surpised:
I imagine it may be plot related so putting that in a spoiler tag might have been the best choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
More importantly, killing one is now 100% confirmed

...You don't suppose they'll make us equip a silver sword for it right ?
I doubt it. I am almost positive they'll be following the quality of weapons they did in Oblivion; although possibly with fewer or a finite amount of daedric weapons now. Although if they do require silver weapons to kill I hope they up the attack power.
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 01:18   Link #363
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
I doubt it. I am almost positive they'll be following the quality of weapons they did in Oblivion; although possibly with fewer or a finite amount of daedric weapons now. Although if they do require silver weapons to kill I hope they up the attack power.

Perhaps it's part of the challenge? To make them a special kind of enemy that forces you to use a weaker weapon
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 01:46   Link #364
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Perhaps it's part of the challenge? To make them a special kind of enemy that forces you to use a weaker weapon
There is no need to change anything, the "immune to normal weapons" defence existed in Oblivion, and I assume the same weaknesses also apply for Skyrim. Namely, silver and daedric weapons work against it. But then so do any and all enchanted weapons and all spells.
Old 2011-11-04, 02:08   Link #365
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Morrowind had the Immunity to Normal Weapons attribute, and when Bloodmoon was installed, it also came with the Silver attribute to weapons (unlisted in-game but still there).
Old 2011-11-04, 02:21   Link #366
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Morrowind had the Immunity to Normal Weapons attribute, and when Bloodmoon was installed, it also came with the Silver attribute to weapons (unlisted in-game but still there).
One thing about the Oblivion system, is that you don't really need silver arrows if you have a silver bow. Silver bows can hurt protected enemies no matter what arrows you used. Though as usual with Oblivion bows are not that useful un-moded.
Old 2011-11-04, 02:26   Link #367
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Bows in Morrowind were even less useful than in Oblivion due to a wonky physics engine and a glitch in the coding. The only thing that could get you screwed over worse than a bow was using magic against an enemy.
Old 2011-11-04, 03:02   Link #368
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

I thought I'd toss this picture here from Skyrim while were on the topic on bows:

Spoiler for Zomgz bow picture from Skyrim (didn't want it to take up too much space):

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 03:09   Link #369
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanner View Post
I thought I'd toss this picture here from Skyrim while were on the topic on bows:

Spoiler for Zomgz bow picture from Skyrim (didn't want it to take up too much space):
If that is the soul capture enchant effect... all the souls = caught.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 03:09   Link #370
Aqua Knight

Oh, I am so loving it. This is totally awesome, pity I have exams earlier than ever this year, but on winter holidays I will engage in playing. I wish my notebook at least does medium settings, also will need to clean the fan and maybe defrag?
What else can I do to increase productivity?
Old 2011-11-04, 03:23   Link #371
Feiticeira
You're kidding

I'm so excited about this game! I started playing fallout just so I'd have something to do while waiting for it's release! I hope Patrick Stewart does some more voice acting for it.
Feiticeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 04:41   Link #372
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I re-installed Oblivion to tide me over, and spent about two days getting the hundred+ mods I installed working again.

I have to say, if there's one thing I'm looking forward to in Skyrim, it's NPCs that don't look like they crawled out of radioactive waste. It's been a year or two since last I played, and I always forget just how gawd awful ugly they are.

If there's one failing of the Oblivion mod community over all these years is that no one has made a true NPC replacement mod that made NPCs look as good as all the lavish attention paid to playable characters. Plenty of mods that increase that hideousness' resolution, etc, but none that actually replace 'em all with epic elfs or something.

Anyways, even though I know I should wait a month or so till the mods are out, who am I kidding? I'll be picking up Skyrim on release and cursing Bethesda as it crashes non-stop, but I'll be grinning like a baby through it all, knowing I've got thousands of hours ahead of me in their next masterpiece.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 07:21   Link #373
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I'm getting sick and tired of all the brainless hate towards oblivion. Sure the VAing limitation was pretty bad, and super cops.

But the combat being trash? How was the combat trash? Hmmm? the only thing i thought that was weird with combat is that the more skill you have in it the more powerful the weapon was. which doesn't really make sense. Instead it should only determan how much stamina is used and special attacks.

Same with armor kinda, the armor reducing more damage as you get more skilled with it?.... how? Magic? XP
Old 2011-11-04, 08:16   Link #374
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
I'm getting sick and tired of all the brainless hate towards oblivion. Sure the VAing limitation was pretty bad, and super cops.

But the combat being trash? How was the combat trash? Hmmm? the only thing i thought that was weird with combat is that the more skill you have in it the more powerful the weapon was. which doesn't really make sense. Instead it should only determan how much stamina is used and special attacks.

Same with armor kinda, the armor reducing more damage as you get more skilled with it?.... how? Magic? XP
Not all the criticism is "brainless" or "hate" but yeah, there is a fair amount of crap that is thrown by people who are just trying to sound cool in their basements Unsupported assertions are the easiest to puncture in a discussion. Just ask them for details or underlying substantiation of the assertion or you'll discount the assertion as invalid and they fail their Credibility Save

But even on the weapon/armor aspect ... having the weapon get "more powerful" as you skill up is one way to model the weapons being more *effective* in the hands of a skilled user. There's probably a skill coefficient that plays into the weapon's damage output. OTOH... the armor damage reduction? Yeah, I'll cough at that a bit though its probably some simplification of skilled evasion computation (more experienced == more nimble in gear).
Old 2011-11-04, 09:34   Link #375
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

And people are still thinking New vegas was made by bathisth and comparing it with skyrim saying it will be a bug fest and crash.

Fallout 3 ran flawless to me, never crashed until hours oof heating my pc.
Old 2011-11-04, 13:01   Link #376
TJR

Fallout 3 had bugs, but it was at least an improvement over Oblivion. Generally, Bethesda has gotten better at fixing problems with each release.

OTOH, the offshoots of Black Isle Studios (Troika Games, Obsidian Entertainment) have never quite gotten it together. Something must be wrong with their bug tracking systems and methodology.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 20:50   Link #377
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
The "brainless" hate on Oblivion had solid grounds for me. For one thing, it was way too streamlined for my tastes after Morrowind that was my first TES game. Also, the monster leveling was retarded, as said, finding bandits with glass armor or ebony was the big wtf moment. Let's not talk about when minotaur and towering Daedras replaces wolves and bears as the mobs. The Oblivion game world had a too vanilla feeling about it, especially coming from Morrowind. Finally, the main quest is tedious, but this seems to be a problem of TES series where there is little compelling reasons to do them.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 06:36   Link #378
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
How is it a problem? I liked it personally in Oblivion that no one forces me to do the main quest, but I am free to explore and adventure the world. Truly a sandbox game which is only a good thing. I have never done even the first part of Oblivion main quest and I already have over 60 hours of gameplay behind me. Could be more, but I've been forced to start a new game twice, and now for a third time when I modded Oblivion.

The repetitive caves in Oblivion sucked though, not much of a reason to explore them. The combat was pretty boring, and magic was quite useless in vanilla game. Looks quite trash to me when you compare it to almost any other game. *Swing sword* *block* *swing sword* *block* x20 *monster dead* *do this again to next incoming enemy* .. What an incredible combat it was, indeed! (not.)
Old 2011-11-05, 07:02   Link #379
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Yes, I don't mean to force to do the main quest, but at least make the main quest interesting for those who want to try to do it. It just ended up to irritate me when I find yet another Oblivion gate.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 07:17   Link #380
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Yes, I don't mean to force to do the main quest, but at least make the main quest interesting for those who want to try to do it. It just ended up to irritate me when I find yet another Oblivion gate.
The main problem with Oblivion Gates is that they are the same as Oblivion Dungeons; repetitive, with no rewarding loot due to level scaling. There was one special OG that offer the strongest bow in the game, but that's it.

Together with the fact that the gates can actually start to break sidequests when they open, and I just refused to start the main quest at all.

It all boiled down to level scaling in Oblivion. It broke the game.

Tags
bethesda, elder scrolls, rpg, skyrim