AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-10-02, 20:00   Link #321
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I guess I'm the only one who actually didn't find Karol annoying. I normally absolutely hate little kid characters (Genis and Anise, please go die) but I really didn't have much of a problem with Karol. His cowardice did get a bit old at times but at least he tried hard and wasn't loud, arrogant, or overly pushy, the 3 main traits I typically hate in kid characters. I also like him because of how funny it is when the game itself makes fun of him - dressing him up as a girl to seduce the guards, giving him nothing but a towel at the hotspring and the skit that follows that, and making him scream "I LOVE YOU" in the middle of Dahngrest were all epic moments.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 21:36   Link #322
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Anise was awesome... D:
Karol just annoys me. I wanted to tear out his intestines and strangle him with them. Especially whenever he tries to NAME something.
Old 2008-10-02, 21:55   Link #323
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
Anise was awesome... D:
Karol just annoys me. I wanted to tear out his intestines and strangle him with them. Especially whenever he tries to NAME something.
Hey, Karol's names are super special mega awesome name-alicious ...uh, nevermind.

As for Anise:
Spoiler for Big Abyss Spoiler:

And to stay on topic, wow, was the 100-man melee ever easy with a lv 69 Estelle. I mean, I was a bit nervous when the girls' mystic arte hit me for a massive 3 damage, but I pulled through in the end. Guess I should have tried it before beating the final boss, haha. Playtime is up to 85 hrs now, and still have to do both a speed playthrough and a playthrough to get everything I missed and can't get now.

Last edited by RWBladewing; 2008-10-02 at 22:08.
Old 2008-10-02, 22:07   Link #324
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Rita's tact and (( developing )) tsundereness is a fine part of her character, but I don't really enjoy her Blastia/Dragon nerd rages. It's fine to anyone else though.

From what I've seen, Vesperia indeed has a nice cast (( haven't seen the elven beauty though )), but... I dunno, they don't seem to have the same 'phases' as the Abyss ones go through even this early in-game other than Karol and whenever Flynn is prodding Yuri. Repede for one... just... is.... 'there'.

P.S When is Yuri's black hat attachment available? My roommate (( the player )) and I are just dying to have Yuri wear that permanently.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 07:46   Link #325
TrueKnight

If I'm not mistaken, Yuri's hat will be available on act 2 after Galfarosht (sp?) tower. I dunno because I actually got it when I visit Mantaic the desert town for the first time. :/
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 11:32   Link #326
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
Honestly I only threw that line in there at the last second to ward off the typical "lolol u playd teh game on normal u noob of course that guy waz ez" types, though there don't really seem to be any of those in this thread luckily.
Because this game is pretty "balanced" on that. Hard is actually hard for once if you're on first playthrough. Most people don't laugh at you because they did it on normal too. (So did I, but it's my tradition to go through Tales the first time around on Normal. >_> )

I don't even really uses Rita and Estelle, actually. Judy's never in the party due to her sucky AI, Estelle's AI's just not all that great, and I don't know, I stopped using Rita on my speed run as soon as I get Raven. Instant heal x2 + no delay item use + OMGHAX TIEM STOP = no reason to use the girls.

PS: Jade > all. Yes, including Rita. Simply because Jade have Indignation.
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 11:58   Link #327
krisslanza

I dunno why people complain about Estelle so much. Mine does wonderfully. I have more annoyances with Rita casting absorb/resist magic spells on enemies

PS:
Rita > All D:
Old 2008-10-03, 12:08   Link #328
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamidori View Post
Because this game is pretty "balanced" on that. Hard is actually hard for once if you're on first playthrough. Most people don't laugh at you because they did it on normal too. (So did I, but it's my tradition to go through Tales the first time around on Normal. >_> )

I don't even really uses Rita and Estelle, actually. Judy's never in the party due to her sucky AI, Estelle's AI's just not all that great, and I don't know, I stopped using Rita on my speed run as soon as I get Raven. Instant heal x2 + no delay item use + OMGHAX TIEM STOP = no reason to use the girls.

PS: Jade > all. Yes, including Rita. Simply because Jade have Indignation.
Glad someone else understands the greatness of Jade.

I'm not a min-maxer by any means and in most RPGs just use whoever I like. I always play as the main character on the first playthrough and I really love the innocent type of girl (pink hair is a big plus too) so Yuri and Estelle were in my party at all times. I used Repede and Judy as my other 2. Was kind of boring using Repede since he obviously has no cool dialog lines with bosses but I thought his steal ability would come in pretty handy, though I only remember ever getting 1 or 2 rare/unique items throughout the course of the game.

I didn't really see any problem with Estelle's AI, she actually stood back and healed most of the time for me. Yeah she did sometimes blow a huge heal when only one person had a small bit of damage but that was pretty easy to control using arte shortcuts. At least she was better than Tear who would constantly run up to melee enemies and cast nothing but that stupid sleep spell until I had to turn it off.

Judy's AI was actually kind of bad (many instances of her running directly into enemy attacks and often not even trying to fight back) and a lot of her attacks kept breaking my combos by sending enemies flying into the air, but it was between her and Raven for me, and it seemed like battles went faster with her so I kept her. Also noticed Raven appeared to be literally standing in place doing nothing at times even on the default strategy. I'm going to use Raven instead on my next playthrough though, he looks like he has an interesting style from what little I've seen.

One final note about AI, I really really wish they'd actually make offensive spellcasters take weaknesses and resistances into account, I'm tired of having to turn off Splash because the mage feels the need to repeatedly cast it on the water elemental type enemy. All 4 of the useless spellcasters in Legendia did it, Rita and Raven both do it, even the amazing Jade did it. (No idea about Genis though since he was out of my party permanently the second I met up with Colette, Raine, and Kratos)

Edit: Haha, looks like I was just beaten to a couple of my points while I was typing this "essay".
Old 2008-10-03, 12:30   Link #329
TrueKnight

Aww, some of you guys don't like Rita? I found her nearly indispensable on my 'hard' and 'unknown' run. Her 'blah blah blah Meteor Storm' and maybe Tidal Wave gets the job done for butchering bosses and grade farming. Especially dealing with Kratos and the final boss from ToD 2.

Estelle is also decent, her Nightangle spam > no items necessary.

But I agree in terms of characters and overall story Abyss >>> Vesperia.

Jade > you, and Flynn eventhough he's ok but just a phail Guy clone. But I have to admit, one of Bamco's mistake was not making Flynn playable. Damn, no sword wielders raping the scene all the time just like in Abyss was just fail.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 18:11   Link #330
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

The broken OL spell cast is what kept her out of my party. I'd like some challenge in Unknown, not killing the boss in 20 seconds. >_>

Estelle wasn't bad in Normal since stuffs doesn't exactly deal enough damage to kill you right away if a heal's not on the way, so her AI went off to cast Angeling(sp?) and Grand Chariot doesn't really hurt. During my speed run though, when I was constantly 20 levels lower than the boss, her healing with a cast time, and her love to cast attack spells instead of healing spells, gets annoying after a while. Replaced her with Raven and Karol and bam, healing and status curing both taken care of right away.
Old 2008-10-03, 18:12   Link #331
krisslanza

Easy solution to Rita OL Spam:
Don't control her and don't let her use it

That's what I do
Old 2008-10-03, 18:23   Link #332
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

I never let AI use OL in the game anyways. The way the system works is as soon as you reach the OL level set in the tactics, they will use it right away. It's kinda hard to build up to a Lv3 OL if you set more than one to use OL.

I only control Rita when I grade farm, and after the Tison and Nan battle, she's never in the party again. (The enemy AI basically charges at the player-controlled characters and the casting party members before they aim anything else. I noticed Zagi running after my casters first too.)
Old 2008-10-03, 18:34   Link #333
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamidori View Post
I only control Rita when I grade farm, and after the Tison and Nan battle, she's never in the party again. (The enemy AI basically charges at the player-controlled characters and the casting party members before they aim anything else. I noticed Zagi running after my casters first too.)
That's not how it was for me. Most bosses always target Yuri when I've played, esp Zagi. I've even seen him around 3 of my chars together, and drops the opportunity to attack them to come after me, who's on the other side of the screen. The exception is the EX dungeon, where the enemy ALWAYS goes after casters first, even the memory bosses.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 20:49   Link #334
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Alright! I've finally nailed the last secret mission! True Knight outfit here I come!

The hardest SM for mehas to be the one with Yeager -_- So much so that the only way I could pull it off was to set it on easy to break his guard faster... But even then I just barely got the Rain arte to go through on the kill shot

The only other boss that I had to switch difficulty was Gusios, but not to make it easiler; I had to switch to Unknownso that it would last long enough when I'm wailing down on it -_- And that's really my biggest concern when fighting the boss... To not kill them so fast The last boss was the most nerve-wrecking

Nevertheless, the True Knight title is worth it It's certainly.... A unique look for Yuri

Onto the bonus dungeon!
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 21:52   Link #335
krisslanza

Minimum Damage is your friend for SM?
I knew a guy who had to do Yeager's SM like over 300 times. He counted.

Up to Heliord in the second part of the game on my NG+... Heehee, Judith thinks Estelle is cute when she's frustrated And Rita's Seeker costume is utter, absolute win.
Old 2008-10-05, 00:31   Link #336
problemedchild
ô_ô

OL > use 6 Destruction Fields > Rain
for that mission, unless you're running on a higher difficulty setting.

I found a LOT of the secret missions where the boss was a human being extremely annoying and/or difficult. Take Alexi for example, he has his annoying ass force field in place even after his MA.......
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 08:06   Link #337
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Minimum Damage is your friend for SM?
I was under the impression that you can't break their guard with minimum damage

I've tried for abit, didn't seem to work.

Quote:
I knew a guy who had to do Yeager's SM like over 300 times. He counted.

I guess I'm lucky to have only need to do it under 10 tries

Quote:
Up to Heliord in the second part of the game on my NG+... Heehee, Judith thinks Estelle is cute when she's frustrated And Rita's Seeker costume is utter, absolute win.

Estelle was my first choice... It was like the game WANTED me to pick her over Judith

"I WILL seduce that guard !!"

Kriss, try Rita's Seeker outfit with the red bunny ears

My original favorite outfit for Rita was her Miska gothic clothes (With Devil wings), but that died out during my second playthrough >.> Same thing happened with Estelle- I started to favor her Nurse clothes over the Magical Maiden...

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemedchild View Post
OL > use 6 Destruction Fields > Rain
for that mission, unless you're running on a higher difficulty setting.
Hard. And I was still holding back too- Yuri's just too powerful

Ah well, that's over... I'm just glad I don't have to do it again >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemedchild View Post
I found a LOT of the secret missions where the boss was a human being extremely annoying and/or difficult. Take Alexi for example, he has his annoying ass force field in place even after his MA.......
I heard the trick is to wait for his 3rd Mystic Arte before you try to hit him.

-------------------------------------------

I've just completed the 200man melee with Yuri, Hard mode, got some really nice prizes...

I know roughly the names of the camero bosses, but because this is my first ever Tales game, I have no idea who are they exactly...
Old 2008-10-05, 08:12   Link #338
krisslanza

My friend told me raw damage has nothing to do with breaking the guard. It's just how 'powerful' the attack is. He said, for example, you'll break the guard faster using an Arte like Raging Blast then Shining Fang. Which makes sense when even weaker enemies break my guard if they're giant guys like Gusios or golems.

I picked Judith in my first runthrough, so I picked Estelle this time. Now just have to find Cheagle Fur later on to get Failrol's.

The only cameos I know the name of are Kratos (ToS) and Dhaos (ToP). I don't know the other two as I haven't played those games. But the axe guy takes the cake for funniest hi-ougi: "NO... ITEMS... EVER!"
Old 2008-10-05, 08:29   Link #339
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
I picked Judith in my first runthrough, so I picked Estelle this time. Now just have to find Cheagle Fur later on to get Failrol's.
Estelle's 'seductive' costume is alot better than Judith imo, Judith's just seems randomly piece together...

Anyway The Gentlemieu that drops the rare Cheagle fur only appears after the final dungeon And you still have to power-up Ba'ul I think...

Mieu...

Quote:
The only cameos I know the name of are Kratos (ToS) and Dhaos (ToP). I don't know the other two as I haven't played those games. But the axe guy takes the cake for funniest hi-ougi: "NO... ITEMS... EVER!"
Apparently, his hi-ougi gets triggered whenever your character uses an item >.>

And all I wanted to do was just use a magic lens...

Another funny thing that I notice; Everybody likes Kratos, Barbato and Dhaos, but I've yet heard anyone talk about Shizel

Is she just unpopular, or underwhelming ?
Old 2008-10-05, 10:29   Link #340
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Estelle's 'seductive' costume is alot better than Judith imo, Judith's just seems randomly piece together...

Anyway The Gentlemieu that drops the rare Cheagle fur only appears after the final dungeon And you still have to power-up Ba'ul I think...

Mieu...
You don't have to upgrade Ba'ul luckily (hate that minigame), they show up in the dried-up lake at night and he can always land there. It's just a shame they are not the actual Mieu, was really hoping I'd get to destroy him when I saw that synthesis material in the list.

I agree with Estelle's costume being better too, Judith's makes her look like some sort of pink pop star rabbit. Maid costume at all times for her.

Tags
rpg