Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-06-07, 01:49   Link #21
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
I don't hate VII, I enjoyed it, but on the other hand I'll admit freely it's probably somewhat overrated .
Overrated is the perfect word to describe FFVII. It's one of my favourites in the series yes, but it's nowhere near as good as everyone keeps saying it is. Great game, not THAT amazing.
Old 2011-06-07, 05:46   Link #22
Kafriel
Senior Guest

First FF I played was FFVIII, so it's one of my favs, but lately I've come to love the very first FF titles, FFI and FFII (playing their PSP version atm). It's amazing how FFII has no levels, and your character grows depending on their actions (the more you get hit the more your HP goes up, the more mana you use the more your max mana rises, etc.) and you can practically max out everyone before setting out on your first trip.
At first I really hated it, because RIGHT NEXT to the first town is a swamp with vampires and a forest of ogres and tons of shit that kills you, making me restart the game many times, during that first long, hard hour...even a bit later on, when I wander around the map, I get the occasional <insert LV16 black magic spell here> that rapes my team, but I've learned to save a lot more than I used to
Quote:
Overrated is the perfect word to describe FFVII. It's one of my favourites in the series yes, but it's nowhere near as good as everyone keeps saying it is. Great game, not THAT amazing.
IIRC it was released in '95 and was the first 3D FF title, and when nobody thought that there could be anyone who could hold a candle to Kefka...then came Sephiroth :P So yeah, overrated indeed, but still a solid game, I wouldn't mind replaying it someday.

-Only FFII and FFIII left to complete my FF course from I to XIII, minus XI!-
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 05:49   Link #23
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Only VIII for me. That might be the only one I played, but I don't have any interest in the other series.
the upcoming Versus XIII and Type-0 might be also my fave.... since I look at the setting when it comes to RPG.

after I played Dissidia, I think I have some interest in FFIV, though
Old 2011-06-07, 05:55   Link #24
GDB

Tactics Advance. I put just under 300 hours on that game. Tactics Advance DS wasn't as good though; too many special characters that completely outclassed everyone else you had.

For the core titles, IX. III wasn't too bad, and from what I've heard of it I'd probably like V, but haven't played it.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 07:25   Link #25
Jao
panchi~

I adore X-2 for the deceptively light tone, the good characterization and the fast intense fighting system.

Also a big fan of VIII for dat Ragnorok scene, VI and VII. I really wish I had IX again as I didn't nearly give that the time it deserved.
Hiding behind tinted glasses and doors.
Jao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 07:49   Link #26
Otani-kun
Beta Tester

Send a message via MSN to Otani-kun
My personal favorite is IX.

I loved the setting, the cast, music, everything. It's exactly how a Final Fantasy should be in my mind. Too bad they're only into sci-fi future settings when it comes to FF nowadays.
Otani-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 08:32   Link #27
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I'd have to go with a top 3 of:

1. III a.k.a. Anthology-VI

I felt it had the best characters and story. I also loved the battle system.

2. VII

Best magic system, I felt. I <3 materia. And the characters were great. I still cry man-tears thinking of Aeris. And her theme is quite possibly the most beautiful piece of orchestra music I have ever heard in my entire life.

3. XIII

Shocker, I know. I really liked the game, actually.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 08:39   Link #28
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

FF tactics: war of the lions - my favourite if you count the non-numbered entries, as it combines the setting of Ivalice (my favourite setting), with the battle system related to Tactics Ogre (my favourite game of all time), and implements the job class system rather well (my favourite system of FF)

FF legend 1&2 (aka SaGa) - After a Tactics Ogre fan, I am a fan of SaGa, then only I am an FF fan. Didn't like 3 though as that played less like SaGa and more like your traditional RPG

FF 12 - the one I like best of the main series, as its original battle system a was breath of fresh air for its time period, when JRPGs were commonly thought to be stagnant

FF 4 - see my handle? 'nuff said

FF 9 - after the disappointment that was 8, 9 reinvigorated my love of the series by going back to its roots

FF 5 - Not gonna lie, am a very big fan of the job class system

FF 3 DS - short fun romp with the job class system. Didn't like the original 3 though as the characters were carbon copies of each other

FF 10-2 - yes, job class system again. I mean, I didn't care at all about the plot or the characters of the original 10, but job class of 10-2 made me play it as it replaced the most 'stupidest' level up system that was in the original 10

FF 7 - oddly enough, was rooting for Aerith lol. Yeah, the end of disc 1 was one of the most impactful scene in my video gaming history

FF 2 - the grandfather of SaGa... just too bad the level up system hasn't been polished yet so its down in my list. If they remake it with the same system but improved upon it, this will be higher up in my list

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 09:21   Link #29
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
FF 2 - the grandfather of SaGa... just too bad the level up system hasn't been polished yet so its down in my list. If they remake it with the same system but improved upon it, this will be higher up in my list
There's already the Dawn of souls pack, supposedly they rigged HP a bit so that it increases at regular intervals in order to avoid beating yourself in order to grow stronger (with Maria's starting HP and back seat, it was very hard to get her health up in the original).
Quote:
FF 5 - Not gonna lie, am a very big fan of the job class system
Have you tried the advanced version? It includes 3 extra jobs, my favourite being alchemist...you pour a bit of dark matter in that potion and it results in WIN!
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 22:12   Link #30
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jao View Post
I adore X-2 for the deceptively light tone, the good characterization and the fast intense fighting system.

Also a big fan of VIII for dat Ragnorok scene, VI and VII. I really wish I had IX again as I didn't nearly give that the time it deserved.
I didn't like X-2. Maybe its because of that light tone. I was dragged into all that sappy stuff between tidus and yuna, but in part two her charater (imo) was completely destroyed.
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 22:24   Link #31
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I bloody forgot to mention the Tactics series. >.>
Old 2011-06-11, 02:35   Link #32
[MrSonic]

Send a message via ICQ to [MrSonic]
My Top3:

1. FF VIII
-huge gap-
2. FF XIII
-marginally-
3. FF VII

Among "numbered" FFs I haven't played only Online FFs and FF IX. I don't like FF series much on the whole though. I enjoyed Suikoden, Tales of, Grandia I-II and SMT games much more.
[MrSonic] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 03:17   Link #33
Sciel
Etoilé

Ffix = ffx > ffvi = ffiv = ffviii > ffvii > ffx-2 = ffxii > ff13

Personally couldn'tt stand 13 and to a degree 12. Loved 9 though, it had that certain charm to it. 10 was great too, loved the story and the whole premise of the game.
Sciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 04:19   Link #34
lightningfire
gamer

final fantasy 7 is my favorite one
It’s a matter of keeping close the pain that causes you harm
lightningfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 07:59   Link #35
Jc1

Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy V. I am into the SNES games than anything else. Although it must be because I have never played the Playstation games (FF7 and beyond), only the NES and SNES games (FF1-FF6)
Jc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 09:24   Link #36
wigglypuff
Banned

i like Crisis Core... it was fun...
i also played final fantasy 1, 2, 4, 7(cerberus), 8, 9, 10, 10-2, 12
wigglypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 09:53   Link #37
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

I'll have to admit I am one of the many mooks that played FFVII as there 1st FF and for that I love the game but I honestly felt that the follow up, FFVIII is my favorite game of the series.

Some rather simple reasons for loving FFVIII

1. The OP is my fall time favorite VG intro, just brilliant!

2. The card game was insanely addictive, god knows how many hours I spent playing that more than the actual story line itself

3. I liked some of the "gimmicks" they came up with VIII, the trigger was good fun and the GF boost was annoying yet satisfying/fun at the same time, had one friend that really liked it tho.

4. The FMV after the intro is also one very, very fond memory, Quistis walking through the door for the 1st time, I jaw did drop!

5. Still my favorite OST, I have a nice liking to the other games as well but more with just certain songs(I still love the FFVII boss theme)

It's hard putting the games into any real order besides having FFVIII at the top.

I've always been 2 minds about the games after VIII.

IX, I did like in many reagrds but also didn't like it in many other ways.
One scene I did like alot tho was at stage show at the palace, I loved the music at that part.
Oh and Zidane looking at Garnet's cute little rear on a train

X, I think I honestly didn't muster much care for it on the whole, even tho I do recall enjoy playing it.

XIII, I do like alot, it's a good game. Lightning is sexy cute in her own odd little way

III, IV, V, VI I liked as well, they had the great character classes which I really like, in particular VI, which I hope makes it's way to PSN(I know it was released for the PSN in Japan recently)

I'm also partial to the TACTICS games as it's a style of gameplay I love, I own the Dissidia games and like them alot and I love the Kingdom Heart games as well, they were a very pleasant surprise.

I have my favorite FF title but the rest will simply fall into 2nd place as I love the series to death.

p.s pre-mature but FFXIII Versus might and I say might steal the top spot. I've been looking forward to that too much that my own hype may blind me to any glaring faults it could have
Old 2011-06-11, 10:22   Link #38
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

o.o;
I find it surprising that there are many people here who also like IX.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 11:57   Link #39
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
I find it surprising that there are many people here who also like IX.
Well, the story and characters are basically DBZ. Not enough to even come close to any sort of plagiarism, but you can definitely see where they drew inspiration from. Makes sense that, on an anime forum, a lot of people would like it even if they only subliminally made the connection.

Also, the card game mini-game rocked.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-11, 12:41   Link #40
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Final Fantasy X without a doubt. It has the best music, the best art style, the best battle system, the best leveling system, some of the best characters and the most bonus content. Six was amazing as well, with all the lovely created characters and another incredible soundtrack. XII had pretty much perfect gameplay and a lot of content as well, which is why it's another one of my favorites. I really like all Final Fantasy games I've played though. Let me try and rank them in some sort, because I love rankings.

1. Final Fantasy X
2. Final Fantasy VI / Final Fantasy XII
3. Final Fantasy VII / Final Fantasy IX
4. Final Fantasy V / Final Fantasy X-2 / Final Fantasy XIII
5. Final Fantasy IV / Final Fantasy VIII

Tags
favorite series, final fantasy, mmorpg, square enix