AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 03
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 49 22.17%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 39 17.65%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 52 23.53%
7 out of 10: Good... 46 20.81%
6 out of 10: Average... 18 8.14%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 6 2.71%
4 out of 10: Poor... 6 2.71%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 5 2.26%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-21, 18:47   Link #81
Elestia

Eh, I didn't really feel anything this episode. I didn't get to attached to any of the people from the Black Cats guilt or even when they died. The entire dying message for Kirito also fell flat in the end and didn't really have any kind of emotional impact as I watched. Introducing and killing characters in one episode hardly makes the audience interested in them and just seems like a waste of time in developing the overall story and plot.

The worst part was probably the amount of fight scenes that were skipped. Whether it was between Kirito and the event boss or Klein's group against the Dragon Knight guild, but I guess they're saving their budget.
Old 2012-07-21, 18:51   Link #82
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I'm guessing they wanted to focus on Kirito's interactions with Sachi more, because her death and everything they've experience together will come to play in his character growth.
Old 2012-07-21, 18:54   Link #83
stalkingpanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Aria getting shorted wasn't a real problem

RNR, however really does need 2 eps.

Ep3 is more of a recap then a real ep.
I completely agree. This just seemed like a recap, except it wasn't ... I enjoyed it nonetheless though.
stalkingpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 18:58   Link #84
karuroso

As a LN reader I think this ep was very well adapted, They skipped watch should have been skipped and managed to put it in 20min, very different from what They did with Aria wich I think should've been two eps.
karuroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 18:59   Link #85
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
[QUOTE=Aphrah;4266288]@Polarpew: I fail to see how only showing her humming the song means that the studio isn't putting effort into making the adaptation good.

Spoilers
Spoiler for L/N and Anime Arc Ending Comparison
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

how so? it wouldve taken her the exact same time to sing it, than to hum it for 10 seconds. maybe they didnt want to use engrish
Old 2012-07-21, 18:59   Link #86
melina_putri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
The worst part was probably the amount of fight scenes that were skipped. Whether it was between Kirito and the event boss or Klein's group against the Dragon Knight guild, but I guess they're saving their budget.
Spoiler for Comparison to the novels for this episode:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-21 at 21:15. Reason: Added spoiler tags for novel comparison
melina_putri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 19:08   Link #87
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpew View Post
maybe they didnt want to use engrish
Hayami Saori's Engrish is absolute bliss; I'm a bit sad they didn't use it.
Spoiler for Engrish to the Rescue:

Seriously, jump to 2:36 and tell me that's not the sweetest thing ever.
Old 2012-07-21, 19:14   Link #88
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpew View Post
how so? it wouldve taken her the exact same time to sing it, than to hum it for 10 seconds. maybe they didnt want to use engrish
Perhaps. But it also might've cost more to do so? That, in turn, may have lead to worse pacing or animation. It doesn't really matter in the long run, as it's a fairly minor detail. *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Hayami Saori's Engrish is absolute bliss; I'm a bit sad they didn't use it.
Spoiler for Engrish to the Rescue:

Seriously, jump to 2:36 and tell me that's not the sweetest thing ever.
Aww, that's so adorable; it's a damn shame they didn't get her to sing the song.. Ah, well.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 19:16   Link #89
Domonkazu

I personally think Sachi's VA should be Mamiko Noto.
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 19:18   Link #90
karuroso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domonkazu View Post
I personally think Sachi's VA should be Mamiko Noto.
haha I don't know why but I thought the same
karuroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 19:20   Link #91
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

i think the VA to sachi did a good job.

aigomorla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 19:26   Link #92
Dark Wing

Really did it's job just fine I really don't understand why people tossing around so much negativity. So what if the anime isn't exactly like the novels if want to compare them I'll read the novel after the anime ends.

I felt for Kirito I really did afraid he would be hated because of "beaters" to the point of having to hide and then when he finally made some real friends everything comes crashing down on him once again. The tragedy hits him so hard to Kirito fix his mistake even though we all can tell it's futile at that point.

Poor kid can't get a break...
Old 2012-07-21, 19:37   Link #93
Somnus
Eh?

So here's where I stand.

I'm a LN reader, but I've never read the Red-Nosed Reindeer side-story and went into this episode completely blind. Overall, I enjoyed it enough to give it a 8/10, which is higher than last week's 7/10.

That being said, this anime has glaring flaws. Or rather, CRUSHING a well-written side story into 1 episode has glaring flaws. I mean, the episode itself has everything it needs in it to tell an episodic story, but there's absolutely no oomph to it that it desperately needed to properly deliver that emotional blow at the end. And that comes with proper pacing.

Like last week's Diabel, I harbored no feelings (not even a twinge of one) for the loss of the Black Cats. Even with Sachi's message at the end. There was simply no time to get attached to them. At all. Also, as an anime-only viewer I'd be wondering if Cline and his crew had just committed mass murder to that other guild, or even how they managed to beat them to begin with.

So to sum it up, they've chosen to handle the side-stories in a very poor way and LN readers are going to feel their hearts break every time it happens. Hopefully they handle all the appropriate parts of the main story properly, to balance it all out (if episode 1 was any indication towards main story material).
Old 2012-07-21, 19:38   Link #94
lansglenn

Aaaagghhh so many time skips! *brain explodes*

Kawahara Reki should've pulled the plug on a side story or two to make room for side stories that need multiple episodes >.<

BTW, there is no freaking way they can properly convey the Aincrad story in 1 cour given how many side stories there are.

8/10 (-2 for compression of events & dialogue into 1 ep instead of 2)
Old 2012-07-21, 19:44   Link #95
sky black swordman

9/10

Spoiler for My own opinion and maybe spoiler:
Old 2012-07-21, 19:54   Link #96
kyp275
Meh

[mod edit: removed original post that was being replied to]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Really did it's job just fine I really don't understand why people tossing around so much negativity. So what if the anime isn't exactly like the novels if want to compare them I'll read the novel after the anime ends.
To some, that in itself is a cardinal sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
That being said, this anime has glaring flaws. Or rather, CRUSHING a well-written side story into 1 episode has glaring flaws. I mean, the episode itself has everything it needs in it to tell an episodic story, but there's absolutely no oomph to it that it desperately needed to properly deliver that emotional blow at the end. And that comes with proper pacing.

So to sum it up, they've chosen to handle the side-stories in a very poor way and LN readers are going to feel their hearts break every time it happens. Hopefully they handle all the appropriate parts of the main story properly, to balance it all out (if episode 1 was any indication towards main story material).
Can't disagree with you there, but I understand why it was done that way.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-21 at 21:17. Reason: removed a part best left for spoilers & speculation
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 19:54   Link #97
Iron Maw
Banned

Ep 3:

The word "Abrupt" would pretty much sum up this episode. I mean suddenly at the start he's with a bunch of strangers, he hangs with them, they die and he attempts to revive one of them who he barely spent time with to relieve his guilty conscience. All this barely within 20 mins with little in the way of build up.

I get what the animators were trying to do, but frankly too little time is spent on Black Cats to get much emotion out of me. I still barely remember who they were and it feels more like their were plot devices (or at least Saichi) to make Kirito emo rather than characters. I also found what he said to reassure her fairly out of character. Up to this point Kirito has been a pretty level-headed person who knew better then to say stuff he could not back up. So, why did he not say "I'll my best" instead of "I will"? One would think by now he know just he's strong that everyone is 100% safe. I felt like he brought this on himself.

Guess I can say I found BC's death somewhat depressing, but much of it's impact is diminished thanks lack of screentime, this really need another episode. Oh well, at least the animation remained pretty consistent with last weeks and OST is still very nice. I lol at the crazy berserked Santa Claus too, aside from that this was the weakest episode so far in terms of well... everything.

6/10, hopefully next week will be less crammed. =/
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 19:58   Link #98
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I teared up when Sachi left him the message as a xmas gift (T_T)! I mean, death flags were everywhere, but despite the obvious pacing issues and others saying they felt no connectivity from the MBC, the episode managed to make me feel like the their deaths meant something, especially Sachi's, which is pretty impressive for a stand-alone episode. I must be easy to please (>.>)...

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 20:02   Link #99
hero147

Instead of Chronologically, I think they really should have done the short stories which aren't integral to understanding the story into OVA format released after the series had its run. Though, even though I'm not a LN reader, I think that route would resemble how SAO was written.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 20:04   Link #100
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
So here's where I stand.

Like last week's Diabel, I harbored no feelings (not even a twinge of one) for the loss of the Black Cats. Even with Sachi's message at the end. There was simply no time to get attached to them. At all. Also, as an anime-only viewer I'd be wondering if Cline and his crew had just committed mass murder to that other guild, or even how they managed to beat them to begin with.
Hmm.

Finally got to watch the full episode.
The highlighted quotes pretty much sums up my concerns.
There is simply not enough time to for viewers to feel for Sachi, let alone the rest of the guild. To be honest I actually feel more impact when Cline when he was literally begging Kirito to live on than the rest of the episode, ... eh, maybe a little bit too at Sachi's "Thank you" at the end. I'll give them credit for successfully portraying the game world in a dark and serious tone.

That little bit about Cline vs the other guild kinda bothers me a little... the anime makes it as if his guild wiped out the other (when they would never go to that extreme) This is gonna fuel a lot of confusion from anime-only viewers

That being said, aside from the somewhat forced attachment and that one little detail, they did a decent job at covering the essentials. So I'll enjoy what I'm offered.
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote