AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

Old 2012-10-11, 13:41   Link #601
velocity7

Well, it is an introductory episode, and it's not like the bad guy for this standalone episode has to be anything more than a crutch. Besides, there's that other antagonist at the very beginning we should be paying more attention to.
Old 2012-10-11, 13:46   Link #602
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Spoiler for Episode 1:
Spoiler for ep 1:

Quote:
No one said it's the worst anime ever, but rape is a cheap plot device, especially when the victim is just a prop to show off how gritty the world is and how depraved the bad guy is.
All the more so because the way it was done was so... unsubtle. It was the dark & edgy equivalent of a depraved villain licking his knife/sword while cackling creepily to show how eeevil he is.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 13:47   Link #603
Horse

After reading all those rape comments I was expecting something disturbing. What I got was a very, very tame show. Minotiry Report cheese with extra Holes. Disappointed.

If you want disturbing rape/abuse in mainstream animu watch the 3rd Kara no Kyoukai. :/
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 13:50   Link #604
Jarmel

Police have to deal with rape, it's not that big of a deal. The real interesting bit was how they were going to execute the rape victim.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 14:07   Link #605
HandofFate

First episode was okay.
The female newbie looks like an interesting protagonist. The guns are cool, I love talking computers.
Not that big a fan of these enforcement/police type animes, no matter what kind of twist they add to it though.

Given the premise, I already have an idea about what kind of episodic stories we're gonna be dealing with. I might give it another episode or two, but I see myself passing on the rest of the series.
Old 2012-10-11, 14:22   Link #606
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
After reading all those rape comments I was expecting something disturbing. What I got was a very, very tame show. Minotiry Report cheese with extra Holes. Disappointed.

If you want disturbing rape/abuse in mainstream animu watch the 3rd Kara no Kyoukai. :/
And perfect blue ?

Anyway despite all the classic disappointed people , i'm going to see that show
It's unusual and for a change it's not a stupid slice of life with stupid kids doing stupid things in stupid schools called cute things.
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 14:24   Link #607
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Police have to deal with rape, it's not that big of a deal.
No, you don't understand. If an anime has rape in it, that means it is trying to appeal to edgy teenagers, which means that it is bad.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 14:34   Link #608
Kirarakim

I will withhold judgement until actually watching the episode but I have to say rape is one of my least favorite plot devices...meh!
Old 2012-10-11, 14:57   Link #609
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
No one said it's the worst anime ever, but rape is a cheap plot device, especially when the victim is just a prop to show off how gritty the world is and how depraved the bad guy is.
I'd just call it a plot device like any other. It did it's job well imo.

I thought that was a very good first episode. You can already see the various inner conflicts that'll emerge more and more as the series goes on.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 14:57   Link #610
mark1246

so the biggest thing i saw from episode 1 was that rape scene, but was that really rape, because i didn't see the man remove his pants. did anyone see his pants off?

The only thing i can say about this is this show rock and freaking violent
mark1246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 15:00   Link #611
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Wow, so much complaints about the rape thing in the first episode. I have to disagree with Kaisos though, let me explain : just because there's a rape in anime doesn't automatically mean to be tryhard edgy.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 15:06   Link #612
Bern-san

I also don't have any issue with the rape thing here, a strange episode but this was a sort of introduction so we'll see how this evolves.

I get the feeling that Akane will end up mad and will have to be killed or some kind of bad future for her. I hope I'm wrong and she doesn't die or become a psycho...
Old 2012-10-11, 15:08   Link #613
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern-san View Post
I also don't have any issue with the rape thing here, a strange episode but this was a sort of introduction so we'll see how this evolves.

I get the feeling that Akane will end up mad and will have to be killed or some kind of bad future for her. I hope I'm wrong and she doesn't die or become a psycho...
I too didn't want Akane to die because of her heroine status, but I can predict that she can awaken her hidden "psychopath" side from what I heard.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 15:09   Link #614
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Police have to deal with rape, it's not that big of a deal. The real interesting bit was how they were going to execute the rape victim.
Definitely a plot device, but one I think suitable as far as setting up the premise is concerned.

The point, which I agree with Jarmel, is not the presence of rape per se but what they plan to do to the rape victim after she becomes "influenced" and the twisted logic of enforcing "justice" based solely on that.

It's certainly easier to get the message across with a traumatised rape victim whose ordeal makes her more psychologically vulnerable than it is with victims of other crimes, I suppose.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 15:17   Link #615
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern-san View Post
I get the feeling that Akane will end up mad and will have to be killed or some kind of bad future for her.
I doubt it. Akane is the one character whose world view is in conflict with the system. If you kill her, you won't have any story to tell. All the other characters seem just fine with things as they are now, so there's no story there.
Old 2012-10-11, 15:18   Link #616
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was a good introductory episode. Dystopian settings have always appealed to me so I ended up enjoying this quite a bit.

I have a bit of hard time buying the fact a system as obviously flawed as psycho pass was implemented in that world though. It's so horrible it's not even funny. A victim can become a criminal in the eyes of the law in a matter of minutes. I couldn't believe that they were seriously going to execute that woman simply because she was temporarily in a bad state of mind. Temporarily being the key word here. One second, she was deemed as an irredeemable criminal that was to be executed on the spot, and in the next she was to be captured because Akane managed to reassure enough to bring her psycho pass to down to acceptable levels. That makes no freaking sense. You can't kill somebody who's done nothing wrong on such a ridiculously unreliable basis. It even contradicts what the old man said earlier about there being a point of no return for the criminals.

Akane seems to be the only sane character in this anime. Even her superior apparently thinks her actions were wrong, even though she was obviously in the right. This is a messed up world.
Old 2012-10-11, 15:36   Link #617
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I have a bit of hard time buying the fact a system as obviously flawed as psycho pass was implemented in that world though. It's so horrible it's not even funny. A victim can become a criminal in the eyes of the law in a matter of minutes....This is a messed up world.
The world of Psycho-Pass seems to have a zero tolerance for crimes to the extent that thought alone can constitute a crime. It's definitely unreasonable and the old man with the cyborg arm said as much.

Minority Report touched on this, but that is more about predicting the future. Here they've taken it to a more extreme level. Emotions and a person's state of mind are suppressed and kept in watch with little room for tolerance if one wishes to act outside the norm. It's without a doubt a grim world to live in and in a way it reflects the Japanese society and mentality of the need for conformity and uniformity.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 15:39   Link #618
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Well that was a more "lets get the formalities out of the way" kinda intro episode,nothing really standout but it lays some nice foundations.

And this is Gen Urobuchi,the guy likes himself some rape,that's nothing new
Old 2012-10-11, 15:42   Link #619
Kazu-kun

This system is so flawed it's not even funny. I hope Akane won't conform to this crap.
Old 2012-10-11, 15:42   Link #620
velocity7

I think Gen himself is already a criminal based on how he wrote this anime.

Tags
action, psychological, science fiction, thriller