AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-17, 12:25   Link #61
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
So why exactly doesn't Ami like Taiga? I mean, I know Taiga slapped her an all, but I don't see how that's Ami's justification to outright wanna act like a ***** and(before ep 6) take Ryuuji from her.

And what ever happened to modeling? She transferred schools just to run away from that guy, but now that he's gone, why hasn't she transferred back and started modeling again?
Old 2008-11-17, 12:30   Link #62
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
A normal (more or less) schoollife could be reason. Another rather speculative reason is Ryuuji himself.
Old 2008-11-17, 12:54   Link #63
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Another rather speculative reason is Ryuuji himself.
I was kinda leaning toward this myself. It's the only thing one could think of that would be worth more than showing off her 'awesome, beautiful, and super-cute body'.
Old 2008-11-17, 16:41   Link #64
BigJimmy
Burn ya git!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
So why exactly doesn't Ami like Taiga? I mean, I know Taiga slapped her an all, but I don't see how that's Ami's justification to outright wanna act like a ***** and(before ep 6) take Ryuuji from her.
I think it's the way Taiga acts towards her. If you notice when she joins the class, most of the girls are "Wow, you are soooooooo cute!" and all that jazz. Taiga, however, is all "This tart knows Kitamara. Grrrrr kill!". My guess is that the lack of hero worship brings out Evil Ami, with the resulting bitch-feud that follows. Of course, both will end up BFF. Or one in jail and the other the morgue, whatever.
Old 2008-11-20, 11:14   Link #65
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Spoiler for Ep 8:

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2008-11-20 at 11:31.
Old 2008-11-20, 11:26   Link #66
frubam
simp for Lyria

^She also seems to hint at wanting to be with Ryuuji. I guess Ryuuji doesn't like teases, but that's the cute aspect of Ami's char. She seems kinda vindictive toward Taiga though, but perhaps that's one of those "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" kinda deals(am i using it's meaning right ?).
Old 2008-11-20, 13:16   Link #67
LKK

Quote:
She seems kinda vindictive toward Taiga though, but perhaps that's one of those "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" kinda deals(am i using it's meaning right ?).
That's not how the saying is usually applied. "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" is usually used to describe a woman who has been degradingly rejected or betrayed by the man she was in love with. If Ami was applying her vindictive nature to Ryuugi because he cruelly rejected her (especially if they had been a couple beforehand), then the saying would be appropriate. But you woudn't ordinarily use that saying to describe Ami's behavior towards Taiga because Ami was never in love with Taiga to begin with.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2008-11-20, 19:52   Link #68
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Well some people were born to hate each other because of personality dissonance. These 2 are prime example.
Old 2008-11-20, 20:42   Link #69
Kushi

Mmm I find Ami's character kind of awkward to be honest. Has anyone noticed how a lot of people, especially girls, actually act really mean when they're with a group of people and become nice when they're alone with someone? Ami's kind of like the opposite of that o_o;;
Old 2008-11-20, 20:54   Link #70
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushi View Post
Mmm I find Ami's character kind of awkward to be honest. Has anyone noticed how a lot of people, especially girls, actually act really mean when they're with a group of people and become nice when they're alone with someone? Ami's kind of like the opposite of that o_o;;
I think you'll find your fair share of both kinds wherever you go.

I still really enjoy watching Ami in this show. I love the show for a lot of reasons, and she is one of the main ones. It's just so interesting to finally see a female character act the way she is doing --- it's refreshing in a strange sort of way.
Old 2008-11-21, 01:26   Link #71
The_Artist
Creation

Ami is hands down my favourite character in this show by far.
Old 2008-11-21, 03:00   Link #72
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Is it too much of a wishful thought, to want there to be a Ami x Ryuuji ending? Its a shame that characters like Ami never wins out in the end...
Old 2008-11-21, 03:13   Link #73
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Wait... what other series have someone like Ami?
She seems somewhat unique given her various masks of personality.
Old 2008-11-21, 03:31   Link #74
Darknemo2000

Yeah it is said...if Ryuuji would have more brains he would go with Ami...sadly his masochistic fetish is too strong. And though Ami is not an angel, Taiga is much more cruel which brings a pure bliss for a mazo like him.
Old 2008-11-21, 05:05   Link #75
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Wait... what other series have someone like Ami?
She seems somewhat unique given her various masks of personality.
She's not exactly unique... the Wolf in Sheeps clothing is pretty common, especially in Shoujo's. And they're usually the antagonist to the main female lead.
Old 2008-11-21, 05:20   Link #76
Tiran86

I've seen these sorts of characters before but I can't think of one that gets as much focus as Ami does.
Old 2008-11-21, 05:51   Link #77
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Yeah it is said...if Ryuuji would have more brains he would go with Ami...
What? He is being the smart one and not going for her because he just sees her as someone who can lie and still put on a huge smile. If he knew her true feelings, then it would be different but he does not.
Old 2008-11-21, 11:33   Link #78
Darknemo2000

Yes he is very smart staying with Taiga, huh... Frankly even if taht someone can lie and put a fake smile on, she at least is not abusing you and is not a bitch for the majority of time.

One that goes with Taiga still, must either have some brain damage or be a masochist. Or both.
Old 2008-11-21, 12:55   Link #79
Oxtail

Ryuuji x Ami would be such a better pairing because Ryuuji is such a better guy when he's around Ami. He actually has a backbone! He sees through her lies, he pushes back, and he generally acts like a man.

When he's with Taiga, he becomes kind of pathetic. He babies her and absorbs abuse like a doormat. I just see a really unhappy future for that type of relationship. Deriving joy from treating someone like the helpless child that they are just doesn't strike me as a very healthy foundation for a relationship.

If Taiga wasn't in the show and pre-destined to end up with Ryuuji, I can picture a really cute show about Ryuuji getting together with Ami. Imagine a story like this:

Ryuuji obsessed with Minorin, but too shy to do anything.
Ami shows up with her 2-faced personality, Ryuuji completely sees through her.
Ami teases Ryuuji and hits on him out of boredom and a malicious desire to make Minorin jealous.
Frustrated that she gets completely shot down, she tries even harder.
She starts developing feelings for him because even though Ryuuji sees through her and keeps shooting her down, he's the only one who's been really nice to her when she hasn't had her mask on.
Big emotional climax scene where Ryuuji realizes that Ami being sweet and nice to him is no longer a fake act.
Love love happy ending!

Now that's not going to happen in this show, but I see that as a much better and healthier romance than the dysfunctional co-dependent Ryuuji x Taiga relationship we're gonna end up with.
Old 2008-11-21, 13:00   Link #80
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Yes he is very smart staying with Taiga, huh... Frankly even if taht someone can lie and put a fake smile on, she at least is not abusing you and is not a bitch for the majority of time.

One that goes with Taiga still, must either have some brain damage or be a masochist. Or both.
Abuse would mean that he is suffering, with emphasis on the word 'suffereing' by receiving some form of damage, be it emotional, psychological, physical, or verbal. A masochist would be someone who is inclined to WANT to receive said forms of damage, and in fact, embrace it. Ryuuji does not embrace or reveal any desire to be called anything Taiga says(though he doesn't deny anything she says either), and sometimes even getting mad as well, so I don't see how he's a masochist. Though I like Ami just as much as I like Taiga, I don't think either of them are 'far' better than the other for Ryuuji, since they both have their issues. And Ryuuji does sometimes get annoyed with the both of them, so saying he'd be stupid to go with Taiga is too much. Actually, I hope he doesn't go with Taiga, as that is the one aspect I love about their relationship, but I'll try to keep all that out of the Ami thread.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters