Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2008-02-10, 18:57   Link #101
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoeagle View Post
00 has really good writers. I think setsuna is atheist now( after that shity HOLY WAR he went through).So there is a possibility he wants can become a god.
Setsuna's religious stance is quite questionable at this point, although with the power of Gundam (read: God), he intends mostly to atone for the sins of his past.

For all the people that read his character as very one-dimensional or just as too inexpressive, it's just that he's got a one-track mind right now. He's a firm believer in the cause of eliminating the act of war because of the atrocities that he himself has committed. And he's likely to be facing more of his past after his own intervention on the Thrones, when a "shocking truth" (lol to how spoilers word that) is revealed.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 19:13   Link #102
wtfftw

I dunno i think he shoudlnt be making judgements for himself. Somehow i see him as an to impulsive guy too much went wrong in his past that he be making judgement. I think for him as a character it isn't good to be hanging around in a gundam.

What i think he needs is a guy like lockon stratos getting to help him in society as a buddy going after girls and all that. I also i dont see anything in him that i would say he really feels hurt by his past. Only when ali is there.

Maybe its cuz there many main characters and cuz he dont talk much or not so many flashbacks unless he is in his country.
wtfftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 19:26   Link #103
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfftw View Post
I dunno i think he shouldn't be making judgments for himself. Somehow i see him as an to impulsive guy too much went wrong in his past that he be making judgment. I think for him as a character it isn't good to be hanging around in a gundam.
What's the point of having Gundam pilots without strange backgrounds?

Setsuna's impulsiveness is what makes it fun for him to go around declaring that he's gonna end all war with Celestial Being and Gundam Exia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfftw View Post
What i think he needs is a guy like lockon stratos getting to help him in society as a buddy going after girls and all that. I also i dont see anything in him that i would say he really feels hurt by his past. Only when ali is there.

Maybe its cuz there many main characters and cuz he dont talk much or not so many flashbacks unless he is in his country.
Something tells me it's gonna be a hell of a while before Setsuna becomes what any of us consider as a "normal" person, even with the help of a down-to-earth guy like Lockon.

As for not showing him being hurt by his past, other than trying to make up for his previous mistakes as a child soldier by joining CB, it's clear that he's running from it for the most part. That's why the guilt trips and flashbacks always come when he's faced with situations involving Ali, and I have a hunch he's gonna have more of that after the "shocking truth" in episode 19.

Old 2008-02-14, 09:27   Link #104
Narutaro

I really like Setsuna's character especially after the ep 18, he follows his own sense of justice, he know clearly what's right or wrong in his view, not necessarily the cause hence why he sneak into marina's room to ask that question, but he know there's something's wrong and actively doing something to fix it.

I never even think he want to become god by piloting gundam, like someone else said, gundam is basically a way to atone his past sin now, and I don't think he's an atheist, I think he himself is unsure what his stance on religion, but not ready to deny religion at this moment, another reason why he ask Marina whose fault is it, God, or human. also when he send Rasa back, he told Marina to fight for the God she believe in. that's not the word of an atheist imo.
Narutaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 13:37   Link #105
Nuiihren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narutaro View Post
I really like Setsuna's character especially after the ep 18, he follows his own sense of justice, he know clearly what's right or wrong in his view
I'm asking myself if Setsuna feels guilty till today because he was involved in far bigger terrorist action than we thought (now we know that he killed Lockon's family, for example. But FAR more people died, I mean, we can see in Lockon's flashback that everything around him is destroyed). I, too, like how he's dealing on his own now.

Last edited by Nuiihren; 2008-02-14 at 14:51.
Nuiihren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 16:32   Link #106
Narutaro

do we know that setsuna is the one who kill lockon's parents for sure? I think there's some age inconsistency there. lockon seems very young when his parents were killed, at that time Setsuna's probably just been born or something, not enough to get converted by Ali and then trained to be efficient soldier imo
Narutaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 17:54   Link #107
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narutaro View Post
do we know that setsuna is the one who kill lockon's parents for sure? I think there's some age inconsistency there. lockon seems very young when his parents were killed, at that time Setsuna's probably just been born or something, not enough to get converted by Ali and then trained to be efficient soldier imo
Setsuna is 16/17. Lockon is 24/25, and he looked young at the time the bombing. Also I believe we know for a fact that Setsuna didn't start his little "I'ma wittle woldier" career until he was at least eight.

Obviously it's extremely improbable that he had anything personally to do with Lockon's parents' death, but maybe the fact that he was a terrorist is enough to tick Lockon off?
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 20:10   Link #108
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Setsuna is 16/17. Lockon is 24/25, and he looked young at the time the bombing. Also I believe we know for a fact that Setsuna didn't start his little "I'ma wittle woldier" career until he was at least eight.

Obviously it's extremely improbable that he had anything personally to do with Lockon's parents' death, but maybe the fact that he was a terrorist is enough to tick Lockon off?
Setsuna is 16, and Lockon is 26, Setsuna couldn't have had anything to do with Lockon's parents death since Setsuna was 9/10 when he became a child soldier (Gundam O showed up in Krudistan in 2301, he was born in 2291) so if Setsuna did have something to do with Lockon's parents deth then the earliest that Lockon's parents could've died is when Lockon was 19, and he definetly didn't look 19.
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 20:37   Link #109
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeotoxSlayer View Post
Setsuna is 16, and Lockon is 26, Setsuna couldn't have had anything to do with Lockon's parents death since Setsuna was 9/10 when he became a child soldier (Gundam O showed up in Krudistan in 2301, he was born in 2291) so if Setsuna did have something to do with Lockon's parents deth then the earliest that Lockon's parents could've died is when Lockon was 19, and he definetly didn't look 19.
I've heard different numbers, but that's more or less in line with the point I was making.
Old 2008-02-15, 04:56   Link #110
Terra

Lockon should be 25 by now since his birthday is about a week after Allelujah's.
Old 2008-02-15, 19:18   Link #111
Marina Ismail
<3 Sheryl Saotome
*Artist

I didn't know if I should post this ins the Ric thread, but I posted it over at NF and thought it looked like Setsuna and Marina a lot.
Spoiler for Setsuna and Marina's 009? XD:
Marina Ismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-20, 01:39   Link #112
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

So Setsuna's real name comes from two things:

- The Kurdish clan of the Sorans, located in the Soran region of Northern Iraq, who speak the Sorani dialect of Kurmanji Kurdish.

- Ibrahim, the Islamic prophet also known as the biblical patriarch Abraham.

And in the course of wiki'ing and googling, I discovered that Marina's last name Ismail is the Islamic name for Ishmael, the first son of Abraham and prophet of Islam.

How many more trivial religious references will surface in this series?

Old 2008-02-20, 01:42   Link #113
Wesley84

Aside from the names of Gundams and Middle Eastern people, probably not all that often.
Old 2008-02-26, 22:59   Link #114
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
Spoiler:

@ DJ_Rockman X

SEED and Destiny would like to have a word with you.

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 23:32   Link #115
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon Sniper View Post
Spoiler:

@ DJ_Rockman X

SEED and Destiny would like to have a word with you.
Man that conversation was like weeks ago. Yes Johann was saying that Setsuna was a part of the KPSA, and that by proxy, Lockon would and should have a grudge against him.

(And you may not believe me, but that's what I had thought before everyone opened the discussion up with spoiler talk about how Setsuna couldn't have been the one to personally kill Lockon's family. I've been nicked for spoilers twice now, so you can never be too careful. )

I have yet to personally meet with Seed and Destiny. And something is telling me that I shouldn't. =P

Old 2008-02-27, 02:04   Link #116
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
I just managed to watch those eps just now as I'm extremely busy with work, so...ToT

Anyway, it's really cool that Setsuna is starting to flesh out his character in the succeeding episodes. I just hope this keeps getting better.

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-07, 08:34   Link #117
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

I guess the only thing that can only make Setsuna break a smile is to call him a "GundaManiac" (Ep 19 reference)
Old 2008-03-07, 12:50   Link #118
mikeabundo
mikeabundo.com

Send a message via ICQ to mikeabundo Send a message via AIM to mikeabundo Send a message via MSN to mikeabundo Send a message via Yahoo to mikeabundo
Question Dream On, Boy..

Are Marina's breasts bigger in Setsuna's dreams?
Old 2008-03-07, 21:16   Link #119
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
So Setsuna's real name comes from two things:

- The Kurdish clan of the Sorans, located in the Soran region of Northern Iraq, who speak the Sorani dialect of Kurmanji Kurdish.

- Ibrahim, the Islamic prophet also known as the biblical patriarch Abraham.

And in the course of wiki'ing and googling, I discovered that Marina's last name Ismail is the Islamic name for Ishmael, the first son of Abraham and prophet of Islam.

How many more trivial religious references will surface in this series?
Didn't know there was a smart-ass dude in the forums...
Old 2008-03-08, 13:10   Link #120
FireChick

Did anyone know that the final episode is entitled "Setsuna"? Most likely it'll center on this guy here.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote