Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-01-31, 22:29   Link #1
Kizo

Send a message via MSN to Kizo
Rurouni Kenshin ending?

Rurouni Kenshin.
I own the entire anime and I must say it's one of the best series there is.
But my question is; is it the same ending in the Manga? Or does the manga continue or something?
Kizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 22:39   Link #2
wao
OK.

Regarding the TV series: The last 30 something episodes were never featured in the manga and are regarded to be teh worst part of the TV series by most. However, after the Kyoto arc (Shishio and all that) there is still a continuation in the manga, which is supposed to be portrayed in two OVAs...

Tsuiokuhen (It's actually a prequel kind of thing, talking about Kenshin's past, however it was narrated by Kenshin in the later part of the manga, not earlier.) which was released... bah, don't remember.

and

Seisouhen (Which, at least in my opinion, badly compressed the last arc of the manga, leaving out cool things like Rakuninmura... The whole Enishi thing was in the last part of the manga along with the Kenshin's past thing, though they are not the same story and therefore are in two OVAs. After the compressed part of the manga story in this OVA, was the other non-manga part regarding Kenshin's life after the manga. I warn you it's pretty sad... there are a fair number of people who weren't very happy with how they just decided the series' ending just like that, without, I believe, Watsuki (the manga author)'s content.) which was released in 2001 or 2002, I can't really remember...

I recommend you read the manga, it's really quite nice. Tsuiokuhen is also very worth watching.

I'm not 10000000% on Kenshin's past being told only in the Jinchuu arc of the manga, but from what I remember it was like that... haven't read the manga in some time ^^;
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 22:47   Link #3
Kizo

Send a message via MSN to Kizo
Ah.
Tsuiokuhen is "Trust" and "Betrayal" I presume and Seisouhen is "Reflection".
I've seen it all.
But I don't care about Seisouhen since the original author was against the whole idea. (PS. Seisouhen sucks.)
Well, thanks.
Kizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 23:01   Link #4
Master Ran
The Invincible Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizo
Ah.
Tsuiokuhen is "Trust" and "Betrayal" I presume and Seisouhen is "Reflection".
I've seen it all.
But I don't care about Seisouhen since the original author was against the whole idea. (PS. Seisouhen sucks.)
Well, thanks.
Well the author was not exactly against the whole idea. In an interview years ago, he said that he just allowed the director of Seisouhen to do what he wants to the Kenshin story.
And he even said that he was a bit frustrated because the Seisouhen story was more (or somewhat became) interesting than his original one....duh???.
Maybe he was just being careful.
Anyway, i never liked that Seisouhen arc anime. The manga storyline is way way better.

ahh...Kenshin...I haven't watched that anime for like a long time ago...
An anime that made a lot of noise back then, like what naruto (or even FMA) is now.

Master Ran
(aka Mask-enkai)
Master Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 23:19   Link #5
TangentZ
神の一手

Send a message via ICQ to TangentZ
I wish I never saw the blasphemy known as the 2-part Seisouhen OVA.

The last third of the manga story (Enishi) is very good. I don't know
why they can't properly animate it and have to ruin the whole experience.
TangentZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-01, 03:26   Link #6
ShadowClone
Genin Featherweight

Send a message via ICQ to ShadowClone Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowClone
The Enishi story arc, aka the "Jinchuu Arc" (Earthly Revenge) is probably the BEST story arc of the entire RK manga, and yes, many RK fans WERE disappointed that because of the CRAP that was those 30+ anime filler eps, the producers decided to end the anime and NOT animate this arc!!

The Seisouhen OVA actually takes place 15 years after the official end of the manga (which I believe SHOULD HAVE BEEN the TRUE ENDING of RK), and basically "trashes" everything that was good about the Tsuikohen OVA and the entire RK series in general.

And yes, the Tsuikohen OVA WAS told in the Jinchuu Arc, in the Chapters called "Memories" (about 15 or so).
ShadowClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-01, 03:37   Link #7
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Seisouhen was crap... it portrayed Kenshin and Kaoru in the worst possible light... it showed a weak and useless Kenshin...

I really didn't feel that satisfied at all after watching that piece of shit... the whole Enishi arc was like a 20 minute flashback in Seisouhen.... I was seriously disappointed that Kenshin had to end that way...
Old 2004-02-01, 05:37   Link #8
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Kenshin is licensed.

-> DVD & Licensed

Thread moved
Old 2004-02-03, 16:45   Link #9
7thMethuselah

I liked the Kenshin manga alot more then the anime, just too many useless episodes in the anime. About the OVA the first one about his past is what I consider a masterpiece, the second one I haven't seen yet but from what I've heard of it I don't really wanna go see it either...
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-03, 17:18   Link #10
Repulse
Lagrange's stepchild

I didn't think the OVA ending of kenshin was all that bad, I wasn't wolly satisfied with it, but it's an appropriate ending, and I do like how it portrayed kenshin in an entirely different light. I don't think it should be view as trashing either kaoru or kenshin, by that time, they are older, and thus they should be subjected to the weaknesses of age. I think it made the characters realistic, as oppose to the super-human kenshin that you are use to seeing, this is one who is entirely mortal. My main grief is how they compressed the Jinchuu arc into that little bit, it's like 1/10th of the entire story.
Repulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-19, 20:49   Link #11
oXKeNsHiNXo

I agree with u guys. The Seisouhen was kinda disappointing. But after reading the manga ull feel a LOOTTTT better. the manga rocks the pants off the little seisouhen. Tsuioku hen was alrite and followed the manga pretty well. I suggest u get the manga if u can. I got mine in korea so its kinda in korean... and they call battousai bal do je! hahahaha o well.
oXKeNsHiNXo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 03:39   Link #12
CrimsonFury
Behold the Fury

There was an ending to the whole thing, that is more then we can say for most anime's nowadays. It could've been better yes. Yes almost every episode after the Shishio Saga Sucked!! However It's called draggin things out too long. you guys are reallly expecting way too much form an anime that was 95 eps long. Trust and Betrayal I loved though i'll say that much. BTW word to the wise if you want to save your ears NEVER watch the movie DUBBED eeeeh yikes it made me cry out in pain, worst dubbing ever. Neways 1-60 were GOLD, leave it at that. I own all the eps on DVD I only watch 1-60 cause the rest just suck... OPverall the show was worth the time etc to watch. Alotta great characters with indepth backrounds that we got to get a feel for. Really enjoyed it. Really lone anime's to make it to NA, Kenshin and Inuyasha and um kenshin ya.......On Piece and Naruto will probably come over too. I wont refer to DBZ cause honestly there 276 episodes should have been like 60. Dear God at least Kenshin didn't drag every fight like 6 episode's Eeeh yikes. The most important battl'es were 2-3 max, and those were shishio and Aoshi. Neways it's done get over it. Watch Trust and Betrayal and 1-60 and you'll be happy.
CrimsonFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 09:57   Link #13
TangentZ
神の一手

Send a message via ICQ to TangentZ
I think the best fight in the whole series is Kenshin vs Saitou, when they fought in the Kamiya Dojo. The reason is that this was the one time when Kenshin went back to his Battousai mentality and ready to kill.

The final showdown with Shishio ended too strangely for my taste.

With Enishi, it was all "I want to repay for my past crimes".
Old 2004-03-11, 08:32   Link #14
Wilcon

Send a message via ICQ to Wilcon Send a message via MSN to Wilcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulse
I didn't think the OVA ending of kenshin was all that bad, I wasn't wolly satisfied with it, but it's an appropriate ending, and I do like how it portrayed kenshin in an entirely different light. I don't think it should be view as trashing either kaoru or kenshin, by that time, they are older, and thus they should be subjected to the weaknesses of age. I think it made the characters realistic, as oppose to the super-human kenshin that you are use to seeing, this is one who is entirely mortal. My main grief is how they compressed the Jinchuu arc into that little bit, it's like 1/10th of the entire story.
I agree, and i didnīt dislike the anime OVA ending at all.
It was alot better than the ending of episode 95, which i didnt see as a real ending, it was just like an ending of many other episodes of kenshin.

Spoiler:
Wilcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-13, 13:15   Link #15
Kingpincollector

I've been trying to get the manga

Butr I can only find it in Japanese, which I can't read. Does anyone know where I can find it in English?
Kingpincollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-13, 13:18   Link #16
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
VIZ is translating/releasing it now. You can order volumes from most places online that sell books, or try finding them at your local bookstore.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 09:32   Link #17
Grungir

Yay, 2 years after the fact! lol
Just got done with the series and OVAs.
Im not too sure I liked what happened in Seisouhen.....
Spoiler:
Grungir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 16:36   Link #18
ThisIsDream

Unhappy The ending of Rurouni Kenshin ruin the image of Kenshin

If u have read the series Ova or manga u would know what kind of guy Kenshin is, But at the end he went to War in China. I would expect ShiShiO would be the one who go to war. if u know a lil bit history if Asia, u would know what Japanese did.

Last edited by ThisIsDream; 2006-11-02 at 22:37.
ThisIsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 19:30   Link #19
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Just remember that the OVAs are completely unrelated to Watsuki-san's vision of the characters.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 01:12   Link #20
ShadowClone
Genin Featherweight

Send a message via ICQ to ShadowClone Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowClone
Hmm...this got me to thinking: IF, ( by some sort of divine miracle that I wish WOULD happen! ) they did decide to animate the Jinchuu Arc from the manga TODAY, would people still watch it? I know I would!

For a title, probably...Rurouni Kenshin: Jinchuu (unoriginal yes, but it sounds cool!)
ShadowClone is offline   Reply With Quote