AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-06-07, 00:09   Link #641
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
The point of this reboot is because Capcom said that the original series was growing stale and that it needed a new direction...-_-.

As for story telling, I highly doubt that this games cliched Hollywood copy and paste story will beat the original.
Exactly, a new direction- The DMC games, like many other Capcom games, are fun to play, but have rather poor story telling quality.

If this new game can fix that weak then I'm willing to let everything else slide, if it doesn't then... It's a pointless reboot with more harsh language to look more 'mature'.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 00:30   Link #642
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Exactly, a new direction- The DMC games, like many other Capcom games, are fun to play, but have rather poor story telling quality.

If this new game can fix that weak then I'm willing to let everything else slide, if it doesn't then... It's a pointless reboot with more harsh language to look more 'mature'.
Besides Devil May Cry, you're saying that Capcom games like Breathe of Fire, Resident Evil, and Ace Attorney have poor story telling ability? I beg to differ, they have plenty of stories to tell and fans continue to pick them up because they enjoy the characters, where the direction of the story is heading, and what characters we expect to see or what to play in the next game or two. Plus the stories were really original and a joy to watch and experience it as you play.

This reboot, like I said, from when I read the synopsis of the story, they're trying to make a sympathetic character that I'm sure that no gamer could relate too. I mean taking elements from other games and movies, how can you call this game's story "original".

Even the original Devil May series stories were original because it took a creator, developers, and writers coming together to create a fresh story from scratch. I don't see anything original in this game. It's cut and paste copy only the character has black hair, different origin (ie. half-demon and half-angel), and an attitude to come off as cool and mature when I obviously don't see it. How can you call that original?
Old 2012-06-07, 00:56   Link #643
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Besides Devil May Cry, you're saying that Capcom games like Breathe of Fire, Resident Evil, and Ace Attorney have poor story telling ability? I beg to differ, they have plenty of stories to tell and fans continue to pick them up because they enjoy the characters, where the direction of the story is heading, and what characters we expect to see or what to play in the next game or two. Plus the stories were really original and a joy to watch and experience it as you play.
Well I can't speak for Breathe of Fire and Ace Attorney.

But for Resident Evil... Yes, They have a tons of good ideas, memorable characters as well as plenty of background 'lore', but the overall plot progression in each game doesn't feel completely natural or rather it doesn't flow well.

Quote:
This reboot, like I said, from when I read the synopsis of the story, they're trying to make a sympathetic character that I'm sure that no gamer could relate too. I mean taking elements from other games and movies, how can you call this game's story "original".

Even the original Devil May series stories were original because it took a creator, developers, and writers coming together to create a fresh story from scratch. I don't see anything original in this game. It's cut and paste copy only the character has black hair, different origin (ie. half-demon and half-angel), and an attitude to come off as cool and mature when I obviously don't see it. How can you call that original?
Erm, the half human half demon background sounds vaguely familiar...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 01:21   Link #644
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Well I can't speak for Breathe of Fire and Ace Attorney.

But for Resident Evil... Yes, They have a tons of good ideas, memorable characters as well as plenty of background 'lore', but the overall plot progression in each game doesn't feel completely natural or rather it doesn't flow well.

Erm, the half human half demon background sounds vaguely familiar...
True, but the earlier games felt natural and flowed well because the "horror" aspect of those games were still intact, plus thy really made you feel like you're in a horror movie/setting...at least to me. In the later games ie 4-5, the story didn't flow well it was a huge departure from the first three games, and the stories seemed kind of rushed and forced like they just wanted to add in an familiar fave of the series, drop him off in some "spooky" setting, and be done with it.

As for the half-demon, half-human thing, it's been done that I know, but it's what made the original character shine because he had the physical strength and powers of a demon, but had a heart and soul of a human. It's because of those traits we were able to understand Dante about where he came from, the way he thinks about life, and what motivates him to do what he does.

Last edited by Kirito; 2012-07-26 at 01:45.
Kirito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 07:05   Link #645
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
E3 Demo VS the Worm.

Lots and LOTS of cursing, foul language and profanity. Jeez not cool at all.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...c-devil/731411

Also this face....Goodness he has more gums than teeth!

http://i.imgur.com/TRfij.jpg
those are lips Kanji :P
Old 2012-06-07, 17:49   Link #646
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Because Capcom's stories are open ended that always leaves a room for the next sequel or prequel.
Heck just take a look at the street fighter game series story alot of rectons and backtracking on years have been made just to fit the current SFIV storyline.
Old 2012-06-07, 21:18   Link #647
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Because Capcom's stories are open ended that always leaves a room for the next sequel or prequel.
Heck just take a look at the street fighter game series story alot of rectons and backtracking on years have been made just to fit the current SFIV storyline.
No kidding, since the moderate successes of the Street Fighter III series with dumping the original cast minus Ryu, Ken, and Chun-Li, I think they used 4 story to be set in between SF 2 and 3 is because the original world warriors plus new ones added to the plate, were still around and people for years have been following since the days of SF 2. Plus it's easier to ensure success because characters from SF 2 like Guile, Sagat, Bison, and Blanka are more popular than Alex, Urien, Sean, Gill, and Elena from the 3 series.
Old 2012-06-08, 21:14   Link #648
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

"every option is on the table, we could see a new series or a sequel to the original series."

So there is hope for the DMC5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=dir5ULi0glo

Since probably now Capcom is banking on the old franchise to carry the new DmC. Let's see who'll get the real support.

Alex Jones is still saying it's Donte's origin story thus again giving the confusion. It's the origin story of their version of DmC not the original game franchise series.

The only one with the good interview here, Capcom wanted to expand the series by giving it a reboot for new younger fans. Also as seen in his interview Kat is the guide of Donte akak "F*ck U" which is similar to what NT games are guiding people in HS and Enslaved. As said Capcom is involved with the gameplay style one reason why it's similar to the old DMC, though Donte's moves are are more similar to Nero most especially his kiock to the worm boss, but still as seen it's pretty easy to do all those combo moves which can rank you up to SSS in just a few moves, unlike the previous ones, this is a toned down version or the easy version of the stylish combos.

Note also in the end they still show he's smoking so he's still a smoker there.
Old 2012-06-08, 21:19   Link #649
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

So technically it's safe to say farewell to the old original series.

Because even if they do a sequel to the original series, and this game sells really well, Capcom will definitely keep going with this one. It really deeply saddens me.
Old 2012-06-09, 05:29   Link #650
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Imho the game will not do as well.
It would have a decent gameplay, but story and all cursing is really not the taste of the original game series.

I'll just be hoping they make a sequel to the original game series DMC5 and not DmC the reboot.
Old 2012-06-09, 06:52   Link #651
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Why is it that in most of the E3 trailer reveals that theirs had the "working progress/game in development" warning again -_-. I mean make up your mind NT/Capcom everything should at least be finalized already.
Capcom do that a lot, pointless complaint.

The game is coming out in 2013 anyway, so the gameplay could change quite a bit. The game looks horrible enough without having to pretend warnings like this is bad or that a DLC original Dante skin is Cashcom @ work when it's standard fare for all companies. I guess it's all right that Atlus are charging for DLC colors for Persona Arean though right.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-10, 02:13   Link #652
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Heck this Donte is more NERO than the original Dante.
Hell his chanin whip thingy is the devil bringer, his drop kicks to the worm boss is similar to what Nero did to Dante in the opening.
Heck even the worm boss battle is a modified or made longer GOW III Hades boss vs Kratos, avoid the floor, swing around the boss till you get it to the acid river. =/
Old 2012-06-10, 03:50   Link #653
Sagi

R.I.P original DMC, Ninja theory and Capcom are taking a dump on Shinji Mikami and Hideki kamiyas creation.
Sagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-10, 21:59   Link #654
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Gameplay Demo Walkthrough.

lost of "FUCK YOU!" ahead. Too much cursing and profanity what where these devs thinking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS3qsOSkR9M

http://www.twitch.tv/capcomunity/b/320672063

the good

- decent gameplay

the bad

- AI enemies are like dummies
- Stylish meter is easy to level up
- too much foul language
- story is bland just to make a cool hero
- controls may have some difficulty for older DMC players

Controls. You need to keep holding Trigger Buttons to do certain moves.

Quote:
Rebellion

Δ,Δ,Δ,Δ or Y,Y,Y,Y : Standard 4 hit Slash; it is possible to quickly cancel to another move after the first 3.
Δ,Δ - Δ,Δ,Δ or Y,Y - Y,Y,Y :
*Air* Δ,Δ,Δ,Δ or Y,Y,Y,Y : Similar to Nero's.
Δ,Δ - Δ,Δ : Third swipe resembles much to Nero's "Roulette", it carries the enemy back to the air.

Drive: Δ/Y charge(hold until glows) follow up with extra Δ,Δ or Y,Y(Optional) Similar to DMC4 where Dante can throw two extra sonicbooms. Cancel is possible after first sonicboom.
Stinger : Double tap foward on the joy stick and press Δ/Y. Mashing the button will follow-up a Million Stab but now called "Trillion Stab" and a final short-stinger. Cancel is possible after initial Stinger and Trillion Stab.
High Time: O/B : The classic launcher. Press once to execute a regular launch, hold to launch Dante into the air as well.
*Air*Helm Breaker: O/B : Classic Helmet Breaker.

Angel Mode Rebellion (Osiris)

To activate the Angel Mode, it is required to hold L2 or LT in order to execute the presented moves/specials.

Δ,Δ,Δ or Y,Y,Y : Osiris standard. Cancel possible anytime during combo.
Δ,Δ - Δ,Δ,Δ or Y,Y - Y,Y,Y : Third press executes a 2-hit animation where Dante swings it like nun-chucks from right arm to left. Fourth and fifth work like overhead propellers. Cancel possible after third press.
*Air* Δ,Δ,Δ or Y,Y,Y
Δ,Δ - Δ Δ
Angel Stinger (not official name): Double tap foward on the joy stick and press Δ/Y - similar to Nero's "Streak".
Prop: O/B then optional O/B follow-up: Classic Swordmaster Prop Shredder but includes a reverse counter-clockwise Prop Shredder. Cancel possible after first Prop.
*Air* Rake : O/B : It allows Dante to drag the aerial target back in front of Dante - resetting the amount of possible combos.
Angel evade (not official name): Double tab the Evade button to trigger a teleport similar to Nero's Table Hopper except it teleports Dante behind the auto locked target. It resembles closer to Vergil's Air Trick except the distance of the teleport is much smaller and invincibility frames are granted when Dante disappears/after the white smoke appears. Executable in the air.
Air Dash: X/A : Grants Dante the ability to Dash in the air. This is nowhere similar to Trickster's Dash. There are no invincible frames and it is possible to quickly stop the dash by letting go.
Angel Lift : □/X optional □/X : Dante latches onto target then drags himself towards target and allows a extra follow up punch/uppercut.

Demon Mode Rebellion (Arbiter)

To activate the Devil Mode, it is required to hold R2 or RT in order to execute the presented moves/specials.

Δ,Δ,Δ or Y,Y,Y : Standard heavy and slow 3 hit combo. Cancel possible after first and second hit.
Δ,Δ - Δ or Y,Y - Y : Third hit is an over head lumberjack hit. It also sends a limited-distance shockwave towards the target. Cancel possible after first and second hit.
Flush : Double tap foward on the joy stick and press Δ/Y. Dante throws Arbiter's metal blade to his target. The sonicboom itself seems to have no distance limit.
Tremor: O/B: An overhead hit that launches the target up into the air.
*Air* Δ/Y : Works similarly to Flush except performed in the air.
O/B : An Arbiter version of Helmet Breaker except it contains armor breaking properties.
Demon Evade: Double tab the Evade button to trigger a teleport - away from the target's attack and slows down time for a second. This maneuver requires proper timing. It was said to be able to harm targets[Needs confirmation].
Demon Pull: □/X optional □/X : Dante grabs the traget towrds him and a follow up kick - similar to DMC3's "thrust kick". It can be used to tear an enemy's shield away.

General

Δ/Y - Attack
□/X - E&I: General shooting.
O/B - Special
X/A - Jump
L1/R1 LB/RB - Evade button; grants easy use if player needs an adjacent evade button and if added with a direction, Dante can evade in the air.
L2(Hold) - Angel Mode
R2(Hold) - Demon Mode
Left Analog - Movement
Right Analog - Camera
L3 + R3 Simultaneously- Devil Trigger

***Here are some FAQ's from the original Gameplay Discussion thread; Sparda_Zero and StuntXL's questions sum up mostly everything you need to know.

Are there any change with the Stylish Meter?

The Stylish Meter is much lenient this time around - sticking much closely to DMC4 but it does retain the DMC3 drop checkpoints. For example Dante gets hit with an S rank, it will drop to B rather completely down. The points seem to be rewarded for longer airtime as well and as you all know or should, there is no taunt!

How does Parrying work and how does it effect the gameplay?

Parrying requires absolute timing. It works almost like a perfect Royal Guard block only that you take no damage and it stuns your target. So far, it works on every demon but the amount of Stylish points aren't as great.
What you have to do is attack right at the moment of your target's attack - triggering a stun animation. It is possible to parry with all the Osiris/Arbiter but Rebellion is the best choice considering the first swipe is the quickest amongst the three. The best way to parry is attack towards the incoming danger so it often requires the use of the analog. Parrying with Arbiter is a challenge but possible. Air parrying works too.

How responsive are the controls?

From movement to attack, every input worked like a charm. A new feature added was the controller's vibrating notification that signal pause combos the green light. So if you couldn't ever, though I doubt, pull off Dante's classic Million Stab combo : O,O-O, the controller actually vibrates during a possible pause. It also vibrates whenever a charge attack reached its limit.

A major issue was the double directional taps for Stinger and the generic counterparts. If you plan to use Stinger like you use to dream again because chances are that you may miss the second analog input because of a worn stick. The speed of the execution is much slower as well. Since that was the only double analog input special, I would hate to imagine any other specials that would require me to constantly abuse the stick.

Did they really manage to nail 60 FPS feel through 30 instead?

Not exactly. Dominic did tell me that once you reached S+ rank, the gameplay will speed up approximately 10%. Although this is subject to change, I didn't feel any difficulty change nor rush when it did occur. The "Secret Ingredient" boss fight felt the same and it was pretty difficult trying to keep the demons alive - even using nothing but Rebellion and Osiris just to test out the speed change, so having 1 or 2 enemies on screen after getting to that rank wouldn't exactly allow me to give a proper judgement. Regardless, the easiness of the game in terms of FPS still stick closely to DMC4...

Was your experienced tarnished by the lack of a lock-on?

The auto lock on is terrible... I found myself killing off a Warrior Drone during a series of 2-hit animation combos with Osiris,(The final three) combo B Δ,Δ - Δ,Δ,Δ or Y,Y - Y,Y,Y, and I was a sitting duck while thinking I could move Dante towards another Drone behind me as he finishes the final hits. This auto lock on may still be in development but if it works anywhere like Arkham Asylum/City's auto mechanic, then that would be fantastic.

Another point to add is that there are also aerial demons that shoot projectiles, the Stingers - fetus looking fallen angels. Their crossbows have a laser that blink faster every second and once it begins to solidify, you dodge. It can be interrupted by attacking them so it is no doubt their a priority if S/SS/SSS ranks are your goal but when there's a hoard of demons I wasn't able to load them with E&I or a Stinger for a zoning distance. The Angel Pull/Demon Grab worked fine but when demons that tend to charge up a special, similarly to those with chainsaws in the "Public Enemy" demo, this will become a nuisance.

How do the aim with the guns work?

As far as I can tell, the E3 demo emphasizes only on Rebellion, Osiris and Arbiter but they respond complementary with the auto lock-on because he tends to shoot the one closest or the closest in the direction Dante is facing. E&I are practically useless in the presented build.

You say it was too easy due to the dodge, do you reckon if it was on a higher difficulty the dodge would still be as broken?

No joke the invincibility frames on the ground evade is perhaps the easiest form of evasion maneuver and places itself to be the most broken mechanic I've seen out of the entire franchise. Dante is completely invincible once you press the evade button and I have escaped through all of the given demons and boss' moves(except for the regurgitation).

It is much quicker and extends longer than Trickster's Dash or Bayonetta's evade... The recovery time is quicker than all forms of evade and air evade hardly has an invincibility frames so your better off jumping or ground evading than air evading. Evading doesn't reward anything other the chance to keep your rank but it works so well.

This makes Air Dash completely useless during combat other than escaping a hoard of enemies or getting to safe ground but what this does say is Demon evade is worthless when you can quickly ground evade behind the target to execute quicker attacks. So even if the difficulty is ramped up a bit it doesn't change the fact that the evade button will remain the same but that doesn't take account of increased enemy movement. If enemy speed increases, they have a greater chance of hitting after the recovery animation but as far as it goes the ground evade is the best way to dodge.

Old 2012-06-13, 18:53   Link #655
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

^
I know.
Also now the inputs of some moves are much slower.

Anyways

http://www.psu.com/a015732/E3-2012-A...st-Action-Game

They hired a stripper to do mocap and made DMC4 look bad in the article.

Quote:
This is a special one because we didn’t come to E3 with high expectations for this game.

Let’s face it: depending on what you consider an action game to be, there were almost too many titles that landed in said genre at E3 2012. But, there was only one game that totally convinced us it wasn't in trouble.

We were skeptical, but now we have way more faith. Said new-found faith in a (demi) god is thanks to Dante, from DmC.

DmC is so radical, so insane that it’s hard to take your eyes off the screen while you’re playing it – even though Capcom had hired a stripper to perform right behind us while we played (yes, they actually did that).

Bottom line: Devil May Cry 4 was a disappointment; DmC might be the best thing to happen to the series since. Oh, and it wins best action game because there simply was no game at E3 2012 with that much action in it. Dante is just as much of a bad-ass as he ever was -- he's just more believable now.
Believable as a reboot which is non canon yes.

Compared to the older game series he's not.
Old 2012-06-13, 19:19   Link #656
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

This game won Best Action Game at E3! What?! Saying DMC4 was a big disppoinment and this game winning an award at E3, this just really kills me inside.
Old 2012-06-13, 20:32   Link #657
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
This game won Best Action Game at E3! What?! Saying DMC4 was a big disppoinment and this game winning an award at E3, this just really kills me inside.

Yeah I know how you feel. They're just killing the old franchise for this.

I really hope this bites Capcom and NT back and bombs.

If they're really professional people you wouldn't write an article saying something bad on your company product, that's just so wrong.
Old 2012-06-14, 01:18   Link #658
Westlo
Lets be reality

lol who cares if this won best action game @ E3, E3 sucked, Sony forgot they launched a handheld this year, Nintendo forgot they have a console to launch later this year, Xbox 360 continued along their Kinect path and most games where already known about.

E3 sucked.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 19:19   Link #659
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

^
Agreed. It's the same old articles again that bashes the old franchise just to promote this new one. I feel they're all in the same or these article writers know each other or just work for the same company. Really disgusts me to an article like that yet again. Of the gameplay it's not as fast or better as DMC3 or DMC4 or at it's standards of gameplay, the only thing it has is it's current tends story and profanity.

Oh and....speaking of E3 alot did a no show on E3.
Old 2012-06-14, 22:56   Link #660
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

We get it guys, you hate everything about the DMC game.