AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

Old 2012-10-20, 14:40   Link #521
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
So actually they are the descendants from scientist that wanna preserve the knowledge of the old civilization? And as the precaution measure to prevent the PK-wielders going berserk is:
- having a sexual relationship
- puts a restriction in human genes so that liver will stop working if getting to agigated

Hmm kinda interesting...
Will need to rewatch it because kinda lost in the middle of the explanation.
yeah
it was a bit complicated
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 14:43   Link #522
deadite

looks like Satoru and Saki will have their little sex scene from the PV in the next ep.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 14:52   Link #523
Dr. Casey

Quote:
You have my sympathies.
No need to condescend, he explained what he meant in his next post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo
One of the reasons it worked for me is that SSY actually found a way to take the obligatory extraneous expository speech and make it fit perfectly with the plot. That's no small feat.
I'm actually pretty confused as to how the fact that so much history is told rather than shown is considered a bad thing by so many. Aside from the fact that "Show, don't tell" is just a good rule of thumb rather than an absolute, unbreakable rule (The rule isn't meant to say "You can never tell the viewer anything no matter what the context of the scene, ever!"), and that there's nothing wrong with the scene or the viewing experience itself unless you just feel like bringing up the fact that the scene goes against some rule that college professors tell you, and that the basic essence of the scene centers around the kids being 'told' so many disturbing, worldview-altering things in one fell swoop and in that sense would be much less effective if it adhered to so-called 'proper' storytelling technique... aside from all that, how exactly are you supposed to 'show' something that transpired centuries and centuries ago? I don't see how you convey milennia-old history through any other means than telling.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 14:54   Link #524
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
looks like Satoru and Saki will have their little sex scene from the PV in the next ep.
The PV doesn't show any sex, just Satoru touching some skin. We don't know how far things will go from there so let's not get carried away.
Old 2012-10-20, 14:56   Link #525
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post

So did the inquisitors and witch-hunters
... Why are you equating him with inquisitors and witch-hunters?

Those Queerats certainly seemed to be posing a serious threat. And as for lying to the kids, well, like I said, they weren't handling that new info well.

Given what PKers did to humanity and civilization in this world, don't you think that they should be handled with extreme care?

I'm certainly not defending everything this society is doing, but after several hundreds of years of horrors visited upon humanity by PKers, I can understand wanting to be very careful when it comes to the education and raising of young PKers.
Old 2012-10-20, 14:57   Link #526
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
It also doesn't look like she was happy with the situation so I hope that the out of context scene has a good resolution.
Old 2012-10-20, 15:02   Link #527
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Those Queerats certainly seemed to be posing a serious threat. And as for lying to the kids, well, like I said, they weren't handling that new info well.

Given what PKers did to humanity and civilization in this world, don't you think that they should be handled with extreme care?
Hell yeah, this is just like Madoka again with Triple debating about the morality of shaded-in-gray characters. Those were some good times, especially considering that Shinsekai Yori is probably the type of story that will remain firmly rooted in shades of gray, wheras a certain white rabbit turned out to be... well...

Maybe you and Kaijo can recreate your Defense Attorney team, this time in defense of the PK society's government?
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 15:05   Link #528
Grey

Quote:
Also it is a shame that the anime took a family-friendly approach and skipped some material in favor of apes. I guess now those five pages of hot yuri action make a lot more sense to mature readers
It was skipped? Curses!
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 15:07   Link #529
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
I am not... they just have in a common the belief that they can massacre their peers in the name of some vague idea... they are not the only ones of course, human history has unfortunately countless examples.

Quote:
Or the kids were raised in a way that they could never handle the truth.

Quote:
You are forgetting a very important detail... these kids are not human, but PKers. From their perspective they have handle the situation with extreme care.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 15:10   Link #530
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Hell yeah, this is just like Madoka again with Triple debating about the morality of shaded-in-gray characters. Those were some good times, especially considering that Shinsekai Yori is probably the type of story that will remain firmly rooted in shades of gray, wheras a certain white rabbit turned out to be... well...

Maybe you and Kaijo can recreate your Defense Attorney team, this time in defense of the PK society's government?
Well, all I know, is that after Mr. "The First 100 People That Stop Clapping For Me Will Get Burned to Death... ~Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!~", I'd be kind of worried about young PKers going out of control too.

And that's not even getting into the illustrious career of the very first PKer...

Don't get me wrong, I'm supporting our main protagonists too, but if any situation ever called for a tightly controlled learning and living environment... This world could really use a Charles Xavier...

Quote:
You are forgetting a very important detail... these kids are not human, but PKers. From their perspective they have handle the situation with extreme care.
I should make clear here that my current speculation is that the society of this world was (at least initially) designed to ensure that nobody like "Emperor Delight" could ever rise again.

Where I'm a bit divided is that I'm not sure if this is a society for PKers ran by PKers, or if it's a society for PKers ran (mostly) by normal humans. I was leaning towards the latter before, but given that the monk himself was clearly a PKer and one who's job it is to enforce the rules of this society, it does seem like at least some of the people calling the shots in this society are PKers themselves.
Old 2012-10-20, 15:20   Link #531
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I'm actually pretty confused as to how the fact that so much history is told rather than shown is considered a bad thing by so many. Aside from the fact that "Show, don't tell" is just a good rule of thumb rather than an absolute, unbreakable rule.
It's neither an absolute rule nor just a rule of thumb. It's device to naturalize the exposition. It's not the only one though.

Why does the infodumping in this episode work so well? As Guardian Enzo said, it's because it fits with the plot, but more specifically because it feels that it was meant more for the kids than for us the audience. We had already guessed most of what was told thanks to all the foreshadowing, so for us it was mostly a confirmation. For the kids, on the other hand, learning all that stuff was a life-changing event.

Now if your infodumping is just an easy way to tell the audience about the plot, your storytelling is failing big time.
Old 2012-10-20, 15:30   Link #532
Triple_R
*Author

"Show, don't tell" is mainly applied for things that are intended to have emotional impact.

A classic example - Don't just have characters talk about how corrupt and evil a villainous character is, but rather show that character being corrupt and evil.

Episode 2 showing us a small snippet of Emperor Delight in all his glory adds a lot of emotional oomph! to the info that this episode delivers. That Episode 2 scene brings to life the words that the library creature was saying in this episode, and so it makes Episode 4 more intense as well.

But some other pieces of information, such as humanity breaking down into four distinct groups throughout Japan, is something that can be presented in a straightforward "tell" way because it's just something that's good to know, and not something that the audience is necessarily meant to have strong feelings about.

Apart from all of that, Kazu-kun pretty much nails why the exposition works very well in this episode.
Old 2012-10-20, 15:31   Link #533
SQA

PKers that understood the history might take it upon themselves to prevent a repeat of the disaster, if they're in a stable situation now. But they're using the "keep them stupid" approach for the mass of PKers, which treats them slightly above livestock. This isn't a world where "human rights" concepts carry much weight. It's a very devolved world, socially speaking.

Though with much of the way their Village is run, I'd gather that they're managing the creation of "useful" PKers. Which suggests more towards at least some non-PKer involvement. The PKers want to survive, but they also don't want to repeat what has happened before. Rough spot to be in, really.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 16:10   Link #534
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
PKers that understood the history might take it upon themselves to prevent a repeat of the disaster, if they're in a stable situation now. But they're using the "keep them stupid" approach for the mass of PKers, which treats them slightly above livestock. This isn't a world where "human rights" concepts carry much weight. It's a very devolved world, socially speaking....
And a world that might look something like our own future, if nanotechnology ends up allowing smart otaku to create weapons of mass destruction in a garage. And that is a distinct possibility, I believe. If it got to that, I think the terrorism scare of the last ten years would look like a children's picnic, and we'd have a lot of jackboots and public security men breaking down doors and carting the weird away.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 16:16   Link #535
AzureWrath

Quote:

Or the kids were raised in a way that they could never handle the truth.
They must be able to handle the truth. The adults have been shown to take part in the culling of their community. Sooner or later these children must be exposed to this history and how their society works.

At the very least, they are expected to be able to cope with offing the less desirable members of their community.
Old 2012-10-20, 16:17   Link #536
Blonto

While I found it interesting, I did think the whole exposition thing went on for a tad too long. Almost half the episode was characters standing and listening to this creature. Surely they could've made the whole thing a bit more diverse and find a way to visually represent some things.
But this much exposition was definitively necessary so I think they handled it pretty well. It wasn't boring since it was pretty epic in proportions.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 16:41   Link #537
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureWrath View Post
They must be able to handle the truth. The adults have been shown to take part in the culling of their community. Sooner or later these children must be exposed to this history and how their society works.

At the very least, they are expected to be able to cope with offing the less desirable members of their community.
That is not the impression Saki's parents left me with

In any "closed" society that needs that much control of information (whether the reasons are justified or not) it is natural that the average member would be unable to handle the truth. There are countless contemporary and historical examples of societies crumbling under the pressure of freedom because they "conditioned" its members to handle a very limited world presented without any sort of uncertainties.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 19:30   Link #538
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

So the bakenzeumi are what the normal humans turned into. So i'm guessing the scientists are not in charge anymore since the library was burned by that priest.
Old 2012-10-20, 20:24   Link #539
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

Woah, the first half of the episode was a lot of infodumping, but it was cool. Hmmm so we get a 2 year timeskip for the next episode? I suppose Rijin dies or something and the kids could never go home?
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 20:33   Link #540
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirroha View Post
Hmmm so we get a 2 year timeskip for the next episode?
I don't think so. The characters in the preview still look like their current designs.

Tags
adventure, fantasy, science fiction, supernatural