AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2006-10-24, 09:26   Link #301
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
The issue of CLAMP design's pertain to individul opinion. Some don't like their elongated arms and legs that make them look like standing monkeys, but some feel that it's unique and makes it stand out. Just like how people say Hirai's design style is repetitive and boring, but some says that it translates way better in animation and how it's not generic.
I actually thought I got used to the designs until Karen's shower scene, then she looks so thin and stretched that it reminded me that the designs are a tad odd. They looks great in the dynamic scenes though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAce View Post
...Oh yeah, if you happen to be the one who uploaded something thats copyrighted, youtube will give out your personal information to companies that wish to sue you.
Waay off topic, but somehow I can't see Sunrise sueing 'gokurulez5471@hotmail.com' over a file on Youtube. I can see Sunrise suing Google for not removing copyrighted material though, which is why Google is deleting these files in the first place.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 09:51   Link #302
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
I actually thought I got used to the designs until Karen's shower scene, then she looks so thin and stretched that it reminded me that the designs are a tad odd. They looks great in the dynamic scenes though.
That was a trademark Kimutaka design.
I don't know why so many people talk about CLAMP designs, when all they did was character conceptural designs, and the ACTUAL design is Kimura.

I mean, haven't these people played those adult games like VIPER series and V.G? Sheesh!

....um, nevermind what I just said
I'll bring up Betterman, Gao Gai Gar, Go Dannar, and Gun x Sword as example instead.
Old 2006-10-24, 09:58   Link #303
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
That was a trademark Kimutaka design.
I don't know why so many people talk about CLAMP designs, when all they did was character conceptural designs, and the ACTUAL design is Kimura.

I mean, haven't these people played those adult games like VIPER series and V.G? Sheesh!

....um, nevermind what I just said
I'll bring up Betterman, Gao Gai Gar, Go Dannar, and Gun x Sword as example instead.
Kimura did the designs for GunxSword ect... but,and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Kimura's role here was to take CLAMP's original designs and redraw/simplify them so that the animators have something they can animate. Kimura would not alter the basic design that much, except to clean them up for animation. It is, afterall, CLAMP credited in the OP with the character designs...
Old 2006-10-24, 10:01   Link #304
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Kimura did the designs for GunxSword ect... but,and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Kimura's role here was to take CLAMP's original designs and redraw/simplify them so that the animators have something they can animate. Kimura would not alter the basic design that much, except to clean it up for animation. It is, afterall, CLAMP credited in the OP with the character designs...
Well, it's a common place for anime to have two character designers.
The one that comes up with the design concept, and the one that actually does it.

Take a look at the girls in Code Geass, they are all obviously standard Kimura designs, not Clamp.
The two main protagonists are pretty much the only ones you see Clamp design influence left.

Would you believe NADESICO's concept character design was Kia Asamiya?
Thank god it's not obvious. I hate that man's art.
Old 2006-10-24, 10:14   Link #305
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Code Geass's males still have that CLAMP stench because Kimutaka's standard males designs don't have them possessing similar body structures to the standard CLAMP teenage males. Look at Shishio Guy and Goddannar's buff main character....Van was a bit thin though.

When was it that Kimutaka started to be a little more.....ecchi in his female design potrayals? Les I recall, GaoGaiGar didn't have the same kind of....fanservice scent. Take Mikoto for example.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 10:16   Link #306
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerogue View Post
I've just seen Episode one, courtesy of GG fansubs.

This series seems to have a huge potential. Political controversy, crazy mecha fights, decent character designs, and a likable yet certificably insane lead.

First and foremost, I've been reading alot of comments in this thread bashing the way the mechas are built; I for one like them, they add a sense of flow and versatility that you can't get with gundam seed type mechas.

The moves on the Nightmares are simply astounding. *skates up two buildings does a backflip and spins*

Gundam seed tended to replay the same fight scenes over and over again throughout each episode; I have high expectations for this series, if the mecha battles follow suit we should be prepared for some pretty cool scenes.

Although the character designs resemble kira/athrun *they also have that whole childhood friends thing going on for them* the mentalities, actions, and personalities don't. I think that this series is going to have deeper, more heartwarming characters than gundam seed.

I like the chess analogies. Being a casual chess player myself, I can't pragmatically adhere to the whole 'if a king doesnt move his subjects won't follow' thing, but I still appreciate the insight this provides us to lelouch's world view.

The character designs are simply breathtaking. Sharp, flowy, sexy, cute, amazing; All and all this will be one of the series I will excitedly await this season. Hopefully it'll gain a bit more steam and get stickied to the Current Series thread listing.

BTW: The setting is fictional, no hard feelings; as a person who prides in being american, a term shrouded in ambiguity, I don't see how something so trivial could get on so many peoples' nerves. The blind nationalism, if anything, should rally <3 for lelouch's diabolical whims, not hate towards the anti-american producer of the anime.

Judge the anime, not the animators. If he wishes to vocalize his views towards America, more power to him. Regardless, I won't let something so stupid ruin a *hopefully consistently* great mecha show.

On another thought... GAAF I WANT SPEEDSUBS! This anime has been exalted by 4-5 prestigious anime bloggers, has a kickass op and ed, and has clamp character designs/sunrise animating it; HOW HAS IT ONLY ATTRACTED ONE FANSUBBING GROUP (although admittedly, I'm insanely grateful to gg for fansubbing)! IMO greyman is tried and true, action anime of the week; code geass has the potential to be something great, or intriguing at the very least. Ep 3 is out, and I can't bring myself to watch the raws! *seeing the scenes without knowing what theyre saying... just ruins it the second time, sort of spoils it without actually spoiling it*
Basically what he said. The two first eps of this series so far go above and beyond my expectations. Interesting characters, insanely well done combat scenes, etc. The very fact that the main character makes his mark through his tactics and scheming while the opposition gets to make usage of a such a strong and agile prototype mech definently has me wanting more.
neodrag38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 10:20   Link #307
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Code Geass's males still have that CLAMP stench because Kimutaka's standard males designs don't have them possessing similar body structures to the standard CLAMP teenage males. Look at Shishio Guy and Goddannar's buff main character....Van was a bit thin though.

When was it that Kimutaka started to be a little more.....ecchi in his female design potrayals? Les I recall, GaoGaiGar didn't have the same kind of....fanservice scent. Take Mikoto for example.
Well, he refrained from being overtly ecchi in Gao Gai Gar, because it was a Yuusha series kid's show.

But believe it or not, LONG before Gao Gai Gar, he's has been doing adult sex game art. Ecchi is actually his home field

I agree the ten-head-tall proportion is Clamp stench left.
He had to leave something from their design
Old 2006-10-24, 10:27   Link #308
wao
OK.

Well if anything Suzaku looked extremely CLAMP-like. To the point that he looked way too much like a bit of whatsisname from Tsubasa Chronicles... Don't like the hairstyle. And I think Kimutaka can come up with a better range of character builds than that long stretched type, but I guess he wanted to keep them similar.

I actually did see a picture which had sketches of some of the characters done by CLAMP, but I don't know where it is. It didn't look that different, I think...

But I'm hoping that the drawings in the show will at least possibly veer towards one of the Main animators' styles, that is Yuriko Chiba's... I love her stuff - even her designs for the original To Heart series felt very skilled and appealed to me despite me not liking most of the rest of the show, and I can't stop going gaga over her adaptations of the PLANETES manga designs: that was absolute top-class to me, something I judge other anime by. I loved her correcting work done in Eureka 7 as well... But it might just be a bit difficult to see her skills through these kinds of designs. (To be frank I was surprised she was going to be so involved in this series.) I wonder if those really nice shots of Lelouch looking deliciously evil were corrected/drawn by her.
Old 2006-10-24, 11:57   Link #309
cyoti

Anyone have any idea who the heck the old man in the wig and the red haired girl who shows up in the opening (with the rest of the Imperials) and ending (with the birds) are?
cyoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 12:07   Link #310
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyoti View Post
Anyone have any idea who the heck the old man in the wig and the red haired girl who shows up in the opening (with the rest of the Imperials) and ending (with the birds) are?
Wiggy is the Emperor of Brittania, Clovis's dad (I think, not 100% sure). No idea about the red haired girl (or the red haired woman with her), neither are on the official site yet.
Old 2006-10-24, 12:21   Link #311
cyoti

Quote:
Wiggy is the Emperor of Brittania, Clovis's dad (I think, not 100% sure).
Whats his relation to Lelouch?
cyoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 12:27   Link #312
Retsoor

>> Whats his relation to Lelouch?

One would think him his father.

The purple-haired woman and the pink-haired woman are Second Imperial Princess Cornelia and Third Imperial Princess Euphemia, respectively.
Retsoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 12:29   Link #313
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyoti View Post
Whats his relation to Lelouch?
Spoiler for so minor there really isn't any point, but let's put the spoilers on it anyway...:
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 12:33   Link #314
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Wiggy is the Emperor of Brittania, Clovis's dad (I think, not 100% sure). No idea about the red haired girl (or the red haired woman with her), neither are on the official site yet.
Yep, the broad-shouldered guy with the wig is the Britannian emperor...as for the other two princesses, their names should be somewhere around here:
http://i77.imagethrust.com/i/429884/codegeass258368.jpg
If someone could translate what's within, it'd be greaty appreciated...especially if there were to be spoilers or background information of some importance...

EDIT: Ah...Retsoor posted while I was uploading...dang. *jumps out of the window*
Old 2006-10-24, 12:45   Link #315
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsoor View Post
The purple-haired woman and the pink-haired woman are Second Imperial Princess Cornelia and Third Imperial Princess Euphemia, respectively.
Anyone know (or can translate) who their seiyuus are? Cornelia reminds me, looks wise, of Dominura from Simoun.
Old 2006-10-24, 13:02   Link #316
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
The issue of CLAMP design's pertain to individul opinion. Some don't like their elongated arms and legs that make them look like standing monkeys, but some feel that it's unique and makes it stand out. Just like how people say Hirai's design style is repetitive and boring, but some says that it translates way better in animation and how it's not generic.

Lulu is similar to Shinn. They both have sister complex. XP

Oh, and gg has released Stage 2 of Code Geass, typos mostly fixed.

I don't think it's just Sunrise series, but from what I've checked, Code Geass and Iroha all got removed for copyright infrigement. Some companies are more critical than others, I suppose.

The only plagiarism I heard relating to D.Gray-Man was kinda of a motif-borrowing from Death Note. Even then, it's more vague since it relates merely to cover/chapter page. Aside from that, most shonens rip each other off anyway. Some are worse than the other for pose stealings, like how Black Cat practically copied some scenes from HxH.
Hey, finally a new episode, ALL RIGHT! Also there are more accusations against D-Gray Man than you might think. http://betty.jp/black_/ here is a page with all the evidence spanning from Manga such as GeGeGe No Kitarou all the way to Trigun and Evangelion.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 13:11   Link #317
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
Quote:

That's because you didn't watch GaoGaiGar FINAL:
W-General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 13:29   Link #318
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Yep, the broad-shouldered guy with the wig is the Britannian emperor...as for the other two princesses, their names should be somewhere around here:
http://i77.imagethrust.com/i/429884/codegeass258368.jpg
If someone could translate what's within, it'd be greaty appreciated...especially if there were to be spoilers or background information of some importance...
Spoiler:

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 16:21   Link #319
Retsoor

>> Li Jianliang

Hah, you almost managed to quell the raging flames of my libido I have for her through unwanted imagery. Fortunately my iron resolve and hellish discipline managed to stoke the fires to an inferno.

So as not to be totally unrelated (or too related, as I like to think), I'm unsure whether Lelouch and Karen will have any romantic connection in the course of the series. Karen might fall for him, but I think it would be unrequited. Lelouch seems the type who won't let people come close to him, and as I don't think this series will follow the path of delicious crippled incest, the most likely suspect would have to be C.C., who would be close to him unwillingly, in a way.
Retsoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 17:51   Link #320
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-General View Post
That's because you didn't watch GaoGaiGar FINAL
I did, and it is still my favourite Super Robot series of all time. I specifically left out FINAL from GGG since it is....*coughs* you know what I mean.

Anyway, this is off-topic. Now that aohige-dono had enlightened me on Kimutaka's true niche, this argument is done.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote