AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-03, 22:39   Link #1101
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'm not saying it was constantly just getting worse, just for a while it seemed that way. Things worked out fine, but I was amazed at just how bad things could get before they turned around.

Have plenty of sympathy for the characters in Tsukihime, now that was some pretty bad stuff .
Old 2010-10-03, 23:20   Link #1102
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Well...I'm just gonna say...this movie was 50% of awesome and...another 50% of...pure...evil...and bitter....RAAAAGE.
Old 2010-10-03, 23:20   Link #1103
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Lover View Post
Well, everyone in Tsukihime has it bad, really. As does everyone else in FSN. Rin is just about the only character in both games who is something resembling happy in every single ending (she's even OK in quite a few of the bad ones...).
Especially one particular bad ending from HF, where

Spoiler for Spoiler from the game:
Old 2010-10-04, 01:42   Link #1104
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Wow. I am so fucking pissed. I knew there was no possible way to make a 1.5 hour movie of UBW work. But it's not just that, why do they opt to change so many of the details of the VN that take away from F/S N...

Ignoring simple things like Assassin's sword getting bent, hence why Saber survived (I can live with this, but I was still disappointed to not actually see a great sword fight between them)...

People have already mentioned the Gilgamesh fight, so I'll leave it at that... But why is Shirou like hitting down all the swords with his two traced swords? He's supposed to be throwing them from the start like Archer...

Ugh... I thought people were also exaggerating about the rinxToshaka getting completely smeared off the map, but apparently, it was even worst than the posts.

SIGH......................................

Ok. I need to calm down, and collect my thoughts. All I have within me right now is nerd rage. I'm not sure if I'm even more pissed about this than I was about Rebuild 2.0.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 06:53   Link #1105
Jaden

This was fine. As a fanservice movie, I enjoyed every minute of it. Just going from one fight to the next and skipping the plot, exactly the way I thought it would be. Of course there are numerous scenes that could have been expanded, but when every moment is so full of action you can't hope for much more.

Besides that let's have more visual novels already. This one's been milked enough.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 07:54   Link #1106
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

It was jumping from one action scene to another but I still liked it. Rin x Shirou was implied big time but I wish it was more than implied.

But one thing I don't get..

Spoiler for ending:
Old 2010-10-04, 09:37   Link #1107
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Seem extremly rushed but its a movie , but it was good
Wish they would make an Ataraxia anime :/
Old 2010-10-04, 10:05   Link #1108
superzombie23

I'm currently reading UBW route in the VN (haven't seen the movie yet), but reading the reviews of this movie is disappointing -_-... I know this movie had a lot of hype behind it to begin with, so I find it disappointing that they couldn't have added another hour to fill in all the plot holes. Movies like this should have top-10 list potential if seriously adapted, but they decided to just go by their low budget... what a waste. It's a good thing I read this thread to lower my expectations, so I hope it'll still impress regardless.
superzombie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 10:16   Link #1109
sapphirearcz

Send a message via MSN to sapphirearcz
you guys probably expected too much out of the movie.. wanting it to cover almost every plot detail and have awesome fighting scenes at every battles...
just sit back and watch the show, its pretty entertaining i dare say so.

Many Thanks to Klashikari for the sig!
sapphirearcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 10:34   Link #1110
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

So instead of CG dragon there's...cg aquarium?

But still, 1 hour and 45 minutes of pure enjoyment! (And yes, I've played the VN)

Of course, you know there's something wrong when the most memorable scene for me is Saber's silent goodbye. I mean, there she's prettier than the similar scene from Fate route!!

EDIT: It's a shame that Imitation was only used in the trailer, not the actual movie itself

Last edited by Tiresias; 2010-10-04 at 10:51.
Tiresias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 10:46   Link #1111
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The movie was more or less what I expected to be: a succession of fights with little to no plot. They were clearly trying to appeal to the VN readers and in doing so, they left the anime only watchers behind. It was pretty much one giant fanservice movie, and I'm fine with that. I just wish the fights had been animated better, it looked nice at first glance with all those pretty effects but it was no more than a smokescreen, the actual animation was just average at best. Such a shame.

Ah well, it was very enjoyable to see those fights animated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Of course, you know there's something wrong when the most memorable scene for me is Saber's silent goodbye. I mean, there she's prettier than the similar scene from Fate route!!
I agree, it's easily my favorite scene of the movie. I'm glad they chose this ending.
Old 2010-10-04, 12:49   Link #1112
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphirearcz View Post
you guys probably expected too much out of the movie.. wanting it to cover almost every plot detail and have awesome fighting scenes at every battles...
just sit back and watch the show, its pretty entertaining i dare say so.
My expectations were extremely low, borderline inexistent regarding the plot. Anyone who has read UBW would realize without any brain power that 1h45 is barely enough to cover measily one tenth.
The problem I see there though is the complete lack of "proper focus", and the poor execution of the fights.

It isn't like I expected mindblowing choregraphy a la KNK, however, if you want to make a "action fest", the action scenes -must- make sense then. And they do not (EMIYA scene was pretty retarded as far as swordsmanship and fencing go: lots of moronic movements for shirou, arguably little to no logic with the weapon impact. Gil's little match was worse in that department regarding the lore, but heh).
Finding such fault at the very first watching without pausing isn't something that should be possible for an "ok" production. And since that kind of adaptation is -supposed- to be a treat for fans, why would they make so many mistakes then? (Again, traced caliburn and... let's say, Rho Aias by Shirou are pretty obvious).

You may find it entertaining, but for me, it was as bad as the anime series in term of animation and execution/direction.
Old 2010-10-04, 13:09   Link #1113
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Like Klashikari, I had zero expectations for them to successfully animate the whole plot. I was expecting an action fest, as mostly a treat to the fans of the VN....

However, much like him, I am severely disappointed in the execution of such fights. Many of them were just not done correctly at all...

Take the very first fight between Beserker and Saber/Archer. Saber was thrashed around like a piece of garbage for most of it just like in Fate, but in the VN it was clear that Saber used the surroundings to "even" the playing field for both of them. This was a fight that was supposed to dazzle us with Saber's excellence in battle, but all it did was make Beserker seem even stronger that he already was...

However, the biggest problems consisted of any fights with shirou. He was shown to be on equal terms with Archer consistently, yet loses a fight to Kuzuki as if this is supposed to seem "OK." Where are the details like Archer being at 1/10 of his power in the Einzbern castle, or Archer pretty much letting himself get stabbed in his fight against shirou, and the Gilgamesh fight.... Oh dear.

I don't really feel like writing about every fight, but what was clear to me is that the movie fails at being a true "treat" to the fans of the VN. However, it also fails as being its own story just by itself, since no one could understand it if they had not already played the VN, let alone at least the anime. So the movie just fails huh.

Honestly, when I first read Klashikari's review I thought he may have been overreacting, but now that I've seen it, I agree completely.
Old 2010-10-04, 14:51   Link #1114
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I haven't seen the film but if what Klashikari said is right and fights aren't even that good (which will be the whole point of the film) then I'm honestly not surprised. This is the same director that did the anime, and anyone could see just how awful the directing in that anime was. Little to no genuine atmosphere in that anime and some really retarded changes.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 15:25   Link #1115
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Especially one particular bad ending from HF, where

Spoiler for Spoiler from the game:
I didn't say she was OK in them all....

And, really, hardly showed much in the way of "sibling love" in the scene prior to it, did she...?
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 16:40   Link #1116
Aqua Knight

Watched it right now. It was rushed, but I feel satisfied.
I agree you just can't pack UBW in 100 minutes, but overall it was within my expectations.

I'm gladed I watched it, though some inconsistencies like Shirou not saying full UBW cast and some others I don't really remember from the VN(because I'm very sleepy), irked me.

But still I liked it.
Aqua Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 16:50   Link #1117
LostHanyou

The Berserker vs Saber fight was pretty sweet IMO, but other than that the fights weren't that great. When it comes to stuff like Shirou vs Archer and Saber vs Assassin, they do weird jumps and flips in the middle of a fight that makes it look stupid. Also Gilgamesh fighting with two swords was... Ugh.
It's disappointing how kara no kyoukai is so much better.

Also no one mentioned how they tried to undermine Lancer's power by
Spoiler:
LostHanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 18:58   Link #1118
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHanyou View Post

Also no one mentioned how they tried to undermine Lancer's power by
Spoiler:
Yeah, this was rage inducing. What was also rage inducing was how Caster/Kuzuki were undermined in this. They played such an integral role in UBW, and they were very entertaining villains. It is extremely sad to see Kuzuki degraded to the role he was.

Another thing that also frustrates me why do they have to get rid of most of the music from the VN when the music is already pretty good and they could remix it and have a better sound track than the one they make.
Old 2010-10-04, 19:58   Link #1119
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
I did not expected more than the movie offered ... though always hoped for them

In any case, far better than the TV show, but nowhere near the excellence of Kara no Kyoukai ... i.e. it does not make a good adaption, but like Realta Nua is a supplament for the PC gamers. Realta Nua added voices, and this movie added action animation ... and nothing more.

This was expected because of the duration. It is impossible to pack both the plot and character development in 100 minutes. Hence except Shirou/Archer, all the awesomeness of the route was cut out.

To sum it up, nice complement if you have played the game or you just want to see some cool fighting animation.

Finally, I dread the possibility of Heaven's Feel being animated into anything except an OVA; not only for duration, but primarily because cutting out sex will make it incorpehensible. Then again, it is highly unlikely that this will ever happen, since Sakura is not popular, and the route is pretty dark.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 20:36   Link #1120
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Another thing that also frustrates me why do they have to get rid of most of the music from the VN when the music is already pretty good and they could remix it and have a better sound track than the one they make.
LOL, For myself the OST itself is one of few good things in this movie, aside gorgeous Rin n Saber animation.

Yeah like others said Pretty disappointed with choreography n the "grit", I mean ok they cut everything, but why its feel so "empty" ?

Man... I know they wouldn't care about the plot n script, but at least they could do better in emotional scene.