AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

View Poll Results: Should they expand the PC's gaming market to include more fighting games
Yes 11 57.89%
No 1 5.26%
Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to expand the PC into other genres 6 31.58%
I don't like fighting games... 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-03-15, 18:05   Link #1
tkdtiger

Make more Fighting Games for PC?

With Street Fighter IV being made for the PC as well as for the consols do you think it would be good for the PC market to make more fighting games? Don't get me wrong there have been some fair share of fighting games on the PC, but in recent years those are few and far between. The last fighting game for PC I saw was a taekwondo fighting game, which I didn't get the chance to play. I personally hope they would expand more into some of the fighting games. I mean I love RPG's and RTS and stuff but I think it would be good to expand into more areas.
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 18:49   Link #2
Sides

Well the Taito Type X^2 is basically a PC running some kind of cut down Windows XP version. A "port" in that sense doesn't involve large sums of costs at all. So if capcom or other developers, who are using Taito boards, wants to make a bit more revenue, doing a port to PC is a possibility.
If rumours are true, Sega's new board will be also based on standard PC parts and using a newer Microsoft Windows OS.
Arcade to PC ports, why not, question is do PC gamers like arcade style games at all. Obviously times has changed, but when i was still in school, most PC gamers i knew, always prefered text adventures, point and click adventure, strategy game, FPS and only 3rd person shooter that involves character with big boobs.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 18:55   Link #3
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Well the Taito Type X^2 is basically a PC running some kind of cut down Windows XP version. A "port" in that sense doesn't involve large sums of costs at all. So if capcom or other developers, who are using Taito boards, wants to make a bit more revenue, doing a port to PC is a possibility.
If rumours are true, Sega's new board will be also based on standard PC parts and using a newer Microsoft Windows OS.
Arcade to PC ports, why not, question is do PC gamers like arcade style games at all. Obviously times has changed, but when i was still in school, most PC gamers i knew, always prefered text adventures, point and click adventure, strategy game, FPS and only 3rd person shooter that involves character with big boobs.
I was thinking that too...i enjoy text adventures and point and click games as well, but if you go back to the old commodores and old pcs from the 80's the arcade ports were the most popular. What I noticed hurting the PC ports of arcade games in that past was that they were extremely buggy and the developers didn't take time to actually make the game for PC use, which cause most people I think to move away from the PC market when it came to those ports. Indeed I find that developers still making that very mistake...
Old 2009-03-15, 19:16   Link #4
Sides

Hmm, hmm, understand completely.
But now i have a weird idea, we get a chance to build our own arcade like machines at home for little money, if they do port more game over to the PC. Modding one of those console arcade stick to USB shouldn't be a big deal, and an old crt monitor is virtually free these days. I see a new market emerging on the horizon ^^

So i voted YES ^^
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 19:51   Link #5
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

I personally think there are things better played on PC than on systems and vice versa. I can't think of playing RTS on systems, and I don't really see the advantage of playing fighting games on PC, beside for the fact that some people might not have the system to play the fighting game while they must have a computer available to play the fighting game.
Old 2009-03-15, 20:06   Link #6
Shadow Kira01

That sounds great, however...

Depending on your pc's capabilities... Pressing a large number of buttons in a short period of time continuously may do harm to most pc's performances. And if you don't, it would difficult to win a battle because it would result as a battle that consist of mostly guard and counters.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 20:11   Link #7
Rias

They do have that street fighter game on PC where you use the mouse to input the directional commands...
Old 2009-03-15, 20:31   Link #8
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

And, you can always by a controller for your pc
Old 2009-03-15, 21:11   Link #9
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
I personally think there are things better played on PC than on systems and vice versa. I can't think of playing RTS on systems, and I don't really see the advantage of playing fighting games on PC, beside for the fact that some people might not have the system to play the fighting game while they must have a computer available to play the fighting game.
I agree that some games do play better on computer and others on consols, but I think the major reason its like that is because companies don't want to spend time and money to fixing things like control issues when porting a consol game to pc and vice versa...Star Trek Legacy is the perfect example of that problem...other games have also suffered...for example star craft on the nintendo 64 just didn't feel as right as playing it with a key board...
Old 2009-03-15, 21:19   Link #10
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
usually this is want I would say, I do have one bought it years ago...but I don't ever use.

But in all honestly controllers are really just best suited for the console and same goes for Fighting Games.

I'd go with the reasoning of what Nochgo says

Quote:
I personally think there are things better played on PC than on systems and vice versa

Got nothing agianst Fighting Games for the PC but then usually they have nothing going for em on a PC either.
Plus I know for fact people get lazy and keep stuff like a controller in the drawer and can't be arsed to get it out
Old 2009-03-15, 21:44   Link #11
RaiLong

Speaking of Street Fighter 4, has anyone checked out the Lucky Star characters dressed as Street Fighter 4 characters in Comptiq? http://thestateofhappiness.wordpress...ky-star-style/

Man, they need to make a doujin fighting game using this material. Someone probably will too, and release it on PC most likely as a lot of fighting doujin games are.
RaiLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 23:54   Link #12
Shadow Kira01

I doubt that there would be a mass release of fighting games for the pc just because Street Fighter IV did well in terms of sales. There are tons of better games to play on the pc and I think the MMO genre is a lot more popular.

Quote:
I do have a controller for the pc but I rarely use it.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 01:00   Link #13
goldenarms
Banned

You'll be able to play online as well on the pc right? Only seems right, since both consoles can, and that used to be one of the major things the pc had over the consoles.
goldenarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 01:22   Link #14
Westlo
Lets be reality

I really can't see the online community for SF IV on PC being that big, same goes for other games.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 07:29   Link #15
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

You're really underestimating the community, it would exist as long the framework is there to support it and there are players who enjoy the convenience.
Old 2009-03-16, 08:09   Link #16
Nosauz

Melty blood, especially if you like nasuverse

also to alleviate the problem... try Mame i mean its the best "port" to pc that no one will do
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 08:31   Link #17
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

uhm how many games of that kind have been made for PC so far?

I do remember "Street fighter II the new challengers", but the controls were kinda messed up

Quote:
They do have that street fighter game on PC where you use the mouse to input the directional commands...
I used keyboard only, i didn't even know you could use the mouse °°; I actually tried to use joypad but as i said the controls for this game were messed up.

Anyway there's also been:

Virtua fighters,
Tohshinden,
Pray for death (lol)
Ah the wonderful "One must fall" i wonder why the basic idea was not used by other developers, it was great
Rise of the robots
Mortal Kombat (all of them)
Body Blows
War Gods
Guilty gear

There's been quite a few of them, yet their number pales if compared to the hundreds of fighting game produced for consolles

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 17:28   Link #18
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I'd be fine with fighting games on PC but I fear we'd see people cheating by using macros, since people can use external softwares like xpadder, joy2key and such to bind multiple commands to one single key. And besides that, I don't see that much of an interest for the genre in the fighting game community. Someone mentioned Melty Blood, but MB's community is really small if you compare to other fighting game communities on console and coin-op.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 17:44   Link #19
Oppius
Banned

Making fighting games in PC is really bad idea. Not to mention that keyboards are not made for fighting games. With exceptions of doujin gamers and pirate programmers, all professional programmers stopped making fighting games for PC and went for PS2, Gamecube and XBOX instead. Now in the era of PS3, Wii and XBOX 360 Capcom is making Street Fighter 4 for PC? Both awesome and stupid in same time.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 19:40   Link #20
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I really can't see the online community for SF IV on PC being that big, same goes for other games.
well I think street fighter 4 for pc you're supposed to be able to play against xbox live players so I don't think it will too bad...hopefully they'll have key mapping so I can adjust my controller...