AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-01-30, 18:18   Link #21
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Thats mainly because while the new Syndicate game is a First Person shooter, it still LOOKS like what you'd get if someone decided to make a first person shooter in the Syndicate universe.
The co-op demo is supposed to be deployed this week, so we'll get to see how the mechanics hold up. And, given that there are missions in Syndicate Wars which give you control of just one agent, it could be argued that going first-person isn't that great a leap.

Quote:
XCOM the FPS ran into the problem that aside from playing government guys fighting aliens there wasn't really any similarity.
As with Syndicate - things look good so far here, but the proof (or, at least, a nice chunk of it) will be in the demo. This said, imagine XCOM-inspired one-off missions for, say, old-school R6 or GRAW...
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 18:28   Link #22
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

I haven't read up on the Syndicate game much but when I first heard about it first thought was I still hope they have the Persuadertron(love this name, it's simply awesome) in it.
Sorry but nothing beats persuading an army of minions to do your biding

Mind control in X-Com was great fun, hope to see it return!

Pity alot of games don't really have much these days unless it becomes the theme behind the game.
Old 2012-01-30, 21:39   Link #23
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Thats mainly because while the new Syndicate game is a First Person shooter, it still LOOKS like what you'd get if someone decided to make a first person shooter in the Syndicate universe.

XCOM the FPS ran into the problem that aside from playing government guys fighting aliens there wasn't really any similarity.
Yeah. I mean, there was already a X-com FPS. No one complained about it because it was in the same universe.

I guess in this day and age, publishers are less likely to get away with crap like this; to buy an IP just to slap its name on an unrelated product. Complaints can snowball in the Internet age.

Just my opinion, but I think the new FPS is delayed because they are waiting for the Fraxis game to finish. Then they would just use the art assets from that game and import it into the FPS. This way they can genuinely claim the shooter is an X-com game.
Old 2012-01-30, 22:59   Link #24
FateAnomaly

I started with Terror from the Deep. I remembered being screwed more by the Earth government sponsors than the aliens.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 01:43   Link #25
Dragonkid11
A random-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
I started with Terror from the Deep. I remembered being screwed more by the Earth government sponsors than the aliens.
I wished I could"Screw the Government,I GOT ALIEN TECHNOLOGY"

And then Apocalypse came in...
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 07:20   Link #26
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonkid11 View Post
I wished I could"Screw the Government,I GOT ALIEN TECHNOLOGY"

And then Apocalypse came in...
I raided EVERYONE to roleplay the paranoid organization that sees ALIENS EVERYWHERE. I had crapload of alien weapons to sell to make up for the loss of sponsors. Sirius were my favorite shooting practice targets.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 23:43   Link #27
WhiteWings

I only played the first game X-COM: UFO Defense. I should pony up some dough and get the other ones sometime.

I just want to know how aliens managed to reach governments and make a deal in the first game when I literally detected and located and destroyed (or shot down and killed the survivors) every single craft with the Hyperwave decoder with bases strategically located on every continent.
Old 2012-02-01, 00:35   Link #28
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
I only played the first game X-COM: UFO Defense. I should pony up some dough and get the other ones sometime.

I just want to know how aliens managed to reach governments and make a deal in the first game when I literally detected and located and destroyed (or shot down and killed the survivors) every single craft with the Hyperwave decoder with bases strategically located on every continent.
You need to stop the infiltration UFOs from reaching the targeted LANDMASS.

Shooting the UFOs down only delay the process by a few months, You have to stop them from reaching the nation they are targeting period. If they reach the country, even shooting it down won't stop the infiltration.
And if you see a Battleship showing up for infiltration, it means you have already failed. The battleship appearing is only a symbolic gesture; the government had already signed a pact by this point and there is nothing you can do about it any more.

This means unless you save/reload regularly, you will eventually lose countries. As if you are unlucky the UFO infiltrator would appear right on top of the targeted nation and you couldn't respond at all. The site where they first appear is randomised, so if you load an earlier save game they would appear on a different part of Earth.
Old 2012-02-01, 07:57   Link #29
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Yeah. I mean, there was already a X-com FPS. No one complained about it because it was in the same universe.

I guess in this day and age, publishers are less likely to get away with crap like this; to buy an IP just to slap its name on an unrelated product. Complaints can snowball in the Internet age.

Just my opinion, but I think the new FPS is delayed because they are waiting for the Fraxis game to finish. Then they would just use the art assets from that game and import it into the FPS. This way they can genuinely claim the shooter is an X-com game.
The main problem with the XCOM FPS...is that the only people who even remembered the Xcom brand were mostly die hard Xcommmies who wouldn't be pleased with just having the name slapped onto something.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 07:59   Link #30
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post

If looking for the other games, here's three of them in one package.

To be frank, i prefer if these games were available on Good Old Games since not only are the prices cheaper but there is help to make the games compatible for today's OS.
Old 2012-02-01, 09:21   Link #31
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
If looking for the other games, here's three of them in one package.
Damn, I got that for a good price years and years back. They got expensive!

For those more budget minded, there's always Steam.
Old 2012-02-03, 08:01   Link #32
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Two interviews up at Rock paper shotgun.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...known-preview/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...-xcom-preview/
Old 2012-02-03, 08:09   Link #33
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

So you are having most of your squad being Russians....did the Americans and Chinese got wiped out or something?

One funny thing in XCOM games is that, most of the soldiers always have a Russian name; it must have been damn cold in the spaceships.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 08:15   Link #34
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
So you are having most of your squad being Russians....did the Americans and Chinese got wiped out or something?

One funny thing in XCOM games is that, most of the soldiers always have a Russian name; it must have been damn cold in the spaceships.
It sounds like you can change the squadies into whatever background you want.

also, podcast up on Gameinformer.

edit: Well squads have been implied to be less than 8.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2012-02-03 at 08:38.
Old 2012-02-03, 09:47   Link #35
Dragonkid11
A random-man

Quote:

Wait,less than 8

May be they want to reenforce the "Human elites fighting alien mutants" idea instead of "Human elite cannon fodders fighting alien cannon fodders" idea

Kind of good I guess,more squad tactics...still want to throw some fresh recruit bodies at the aliens to death
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 10:07   Link #36
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

Can we breed/make our own soldiers? Like clone-splicing genes of our best Russians troopers with alien DNA to make hybrids, or reanimate our dead soldiers into cyborgs? Or download their combat experience into Androids?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 10:13   Link #37
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

That wasn't the idea actually. It was more that with individual soldiers having more abilities, with a large team you ended up with the human players having to much capability per turn. There was also the idea that had guys who ended up tactically being superfluous and just hanging around.

I'm one of those people who kinda hoped for at least 8-10 man squads (I'm hoping modability allows us to change this), but I do rather understand their second point. Often while playing with 14 man squads it did feel like allot of your guys weren't actively doing anything on a turn to turn basis.
Old 2012-02-03, 12:12   Link #38
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

X com is one of the few classic PC games I haven't played. Think I was too engrossed with Syndicate at the time.

So yeah, looking forward to this, especially since I'm not fond of the FPS version (so glad that Firaxis is making it as they make damn good turn based games). Was already thinking to buy the psx/pc hardcopies, but man prices are damn expensive.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 13:54   Link #39
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
That wasn't the idea actually. It was more that with individual soldiers having more abilities, with a large team you ended up with the human players having to much capability per turn. There was also the idea that had guys who ended up tactically being superfluous and just hanging around.

I'm one of those people who kinda hoped for at least 8-10 man squads (I'm hoping modability allows us to change this), but I do rather understand their second point. Often while playing with 14 man squads it did feel like allot of your guys weren't actively doing anything on a turn to turn basis.
That's the ironic thing. In classic X-com you have large unit sizes purely because initially, it was raw numbers that allow you to defeat the aliens. But in the end it is always half-a-dozen soldiers doing all the work.

Because of how experience points worked, you end up with small squads to ensure you can micromanage their growth. And the only time you ever get a full ship of 20 max stats soldiers together, is the final mission.

Of course if we get a tank, that doesn't add to the unit count, then it would almost be the same as the old game. But they said nothing about that at this point.
Old 2012-02-04, 05:37   Link #40
Key Board
Carbon

It seems you can have a lot of soldiers, but you can only deploy 4~6 per mission

and just like the original game, if they get injured they are sent for recovery

you will have to substitute that member from someone on your B list

but as the interview tells you, more often then not you will be shot dead rather than injured

IIRC, even a flying armor can't protect you from a plasma riffle one hit kill
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction, turn-based strategy