AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2011-05-06, 00:37   Link #21
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Well finding something you havn't watched these past few years is quite a task

I'll go with Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no Sora (long titles aren't something reserved to 2011!)
Don't see it on your list and you only posted once in the thread dedicated to it but it wasn't about the show so I'm not sure if you watched an episode,I'll assume you didn't.
Wow - I may have posted in that thread but I have almost no recollection of the series at all. It's a sequel, isn't it? Do I need to watch the original series first?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 00:44   Link #22
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Well, my favorite series is Simoun. I suspect you will feel like dropping it after the OP, which includes an apparent yuri kiss, but try to forge on. Great science fiction, in my opinion, and the best show I have watched about the nature of war and peace. It just happens that in the show's world, everyone is female until they reach the age of 17 and choose a gender. You can see gender-like differences among the several female priestess/pilots who make up the excellent ensemble cast of real actresses (Takahashi Rieko, Koshimizu Ami, Noto Mamiko, Nazuka Kaori, Yukana, Kuwashima Houko, Tamagawa Sakiko, et al.).

I'd also suggest the Ghibli (but not Miyazaki) film Whisper of the Heart. A real romance, dealing with the intersection between romantic feelings and future career.

I'm also a big fan of Natsu no Sora (to abbreviate the title), Saraiya Goyou (which you like, too), Kara no Kyoukai, Planetes, Haibane Renmei, Crest of Stars, and NANA, all of which other people have mentioned.
Thanks for leaping boldly in!

I've seen Whisper, and liked it though I think it's second-tier Ghibli. Loved Natsu no Sora, Sariya Goyou was my favorite series of 2010.

Simoun is an interesting suggestion, as it's another one that's hovered at the edge of my bucket list for years. Yuri is no deal-breaker for me - I'm just fine with it if the series is good. I'll give it another serious look.
Old 2011-05-06, 00:46   Link #23
freak
You cant fight the future

Forget about that little contrarian voice inside you and take a look at code geass...

I mean, its really good, its popular for a reason.

Heh, I almost cried in the end but then again it was during my idealistic phase
freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 02:40   Link #24
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I second Kara no Kyoukai since that's the reaction i had when i watched it, especially after the 3rd and 5th films. And if you liked Serei no Moribito i recommend Sword of the Stranger.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 02:53   Link #25
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Wow - I may have posted in that thread but I have almost no recollection of the series at all. It's a sequel, isn't it? Do I need to watch the original series first?
Not at all,I didn't.

It's set in the same universe as the prequel but that's it,everything else is different.

And btw,thanks to Kaoru Chujo while I'm at it since it's on her blog I first heard of the show.

edit:though wait

Quote:
Loved Natsu no Sora
So you did watch it and just didn't recognize the long form of the title?

Last edited by totoum; 2011-05-06 at 12:57.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 05:48   Link #26
yanZy-san

Hi all can anyone recommend like an all out just amazing anime series that's not a long drag, 12-40 eps around there Genres don't matter I like everything
yanZy-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 07:08   Link #27
mecharobot

Maybe you'd like sports anime? They usually feature coming of age, a bit slice of life and romance. They're also strongly character driven. I don't see Hajime no Ippo or Slam Dunk there. Kaleido Star and Hikaru no Go are awesome as well. All are very passionate shows, which I think are rather easy to digest and get hooked to if you happen to be into this sort of stuff.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 07:33   Link #28
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
I did try to watch Erin and it just never grabbed me - does it take quite a long time to get interesting?
I'm going to guess you didn't make it to episode seven. If that doesn't hold your attention, then it's not the show for you.

Quote:
It's always been difficult to view more than one older series at a time and as time passes, more and more "bucket list" series pile up...
Who are you to go talkin' at me 'bout them there "bucket lists," you dang whippersnapper! Where's my cane?

I have rather the same attitude toward older series, though I don't watch nearly so many current shows as you.

As for Natsu no Sora, I found its predecessor more intriguing. The ethics of magic casting were a major theme of Someday's Dreamers, but the sequel is more of a slice-of-life romance.

Here's another endorsement for Hikaru no Go; who could imagine playing a board game could be so dramatic?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 09:01   Link #29
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
That's Rumiko, isn't it? I'm sure I watched at least some of it, so many years ago I've forgotten...

Damn - so many choices. I was hoping everyone was going to suggest the same show!
Yup.

Maison Ikkoku is her best work. Most people outside Japan seem to have watched only Ranma 1/2 or Inuyasha. Or possibly Those Darn Aliens.

Maison Ikkoku is different in that it has no supernatural elements, and it's characters are almost all in their twenties or older. It shows just how well Rumiko Takahashi can write characters, without all the fancy powers and stuff that are in her teenage oriented works.

It's also the great granddaddy of anime romantic comedies. I don't know how many newer series I've watched an gone: "They took that plot/scene from Maison Ikkoku." And almost always I think to myself, this was done better in Maison Ikkoku.

It's not without flaws, but I put it up in my top list of shows that are a "must watch": Neon Genesis Evangelion, Starblazers, Cross Game (or alternatively Touch) and Maison Ikkoku.

Since you liked Cross Game, I'm pretty sure you'd like Maison Ikkoku.

Beautiful music too. I still can get choked up when I listen to some of the background music.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 12:22   Link #30
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
So you did watch it and just didn't recognize the long form of the title?
Whoops - my bad, for some reason I thought when I looked at her post I saw Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu. Haven't sen Natsu no Sora but as you've both recommended it, it's going to make the short list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecharobot View Post
Maybe you'd like sports anime? They usually feature coming of age, a bit slice of life and romance. They're also strongly character driven. I don't see Hajime no Ippo or Slam Dunk there. Kaleido Star and Hikaru no Go are awesome as well. All are very passionate shows, which I think are rather easy to digest and get hooked to if you happen to be into this sort of stuff.
I do like some sports series - Major S1, Cross Game, Capeta, Oofuri S1, Over Drive and Giant Killing are all faves (and Baby Steps is a fantastic manga). Very underrated genre. But I confess, I'm surprised at the depth of support for Hikaru no Go. I'd sort of dismissed it as a kid's series (not that there's anything wrong with that) on a par with Digimon or the like...
Old 2011-05-07, 17:05   Link #31
Zippicus

Quote:
I don't know why I haven't watched Twelve Kingdoms - everyone compares it to Moribito. I have no excuses - I've just never quite felt in the mood at the time I considered it.

A couple of series I'm toying with, in case anyone has a strong opinion: Lovely Complex, Kekkaishi, Kenichi, Aishiteruze Baby. And no, I haven't seen Honey & Clover. That doesn't make me a bad person.
12 kingdoms is really good, since you have no excuse, go watch it

I liked Lovely Complex quite a bit, more for the comedy than the romance part of the whole romantic comedy thing.

Kekkaishi is pretty decent, but kind of "out there".

Kenichi is awesome, but it's one of those love it or hate it kind of shows.

I know I've seen Aishiteruze Baby but it's not anything that really stuck in my head, so I'd venture to say I felt if was very average despite the unusual premise.

I also liked Honey & Clover, but probably not as much as everyone else seems to.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 20:09   Link #32
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

If I might hijack my own thread for a moment...

Given what we've already covered in this thread, anyone want to weigh in on School Rumble as an option for me? I suppose that qualifies as one of those "strangely lacking" shows Seijisensei was referring to. I did like Natsu no Arashi quite a lot, more so the first season than the second.
Old 2011-05-07, 20:49   Link #33
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Sure. I think the first season of School Rumble is often hilariously funny; the second season a bit less so. Harima Kenji may be my favorite male comic character in all of anime. School Rumble can also be quite touching at times, too, which improved its ranking with me. Don't expect any resolution of the various romantic polygons, though.

You can get tired of the never-ending unrequited love pursuits, but there's usually a new twist on the story every few episodes, and some arcs have little to do with those pursuits. It also has absolutely zany arcs; these often focus on Harima.

Go watch a few episodes at Funimation. You'll know quickly if it's something you want to follow.

PS: I'm rewatching Hikaru no Go. I started it again a couple of weeks ago and put it aside, then started up again tonight. I'm only through episode four or so, so I've got a long way to travel once again.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-05-07 at 21:01.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 22:24   Link #34
james0246

Tossing in my support for Hikaru no Go. Truly a fantastic sports anime/manga (and easily Tsugumi Ohba best work, even if the ending falls apart), and a damn fine drama.

That being said, I'm going to offer up my own favourite "kids series", Mujin Wakusei Survive ~ Uninhabited Planet Survival (don't be fooled by the animesuki link, the entire series is translated). This deceptively deep kids series is a pseudo retelling of Swiss Family Robinson (and Robinson Crusoe and a variety of other stranded island tales) mixed with sci-fi elements. The story of survival is fairly complex as the spaceship-wrecked kids must learn to forge for themselves as they try to survive on a seemingly uninhabited planet. Lots of drama, lots of action, plenty of comedy, and some truly great characters populate this little known anime title. And, while I wouldn't quite say this is a must-see show, it certainly is well worth the watch...in fact, I'm going to rewatch the series right now .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 23:08   Link #35
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Damn, an awful lot of interesting ideas to sort through here. Thanks for the overwhelming response, and by all means keep chiming in - I'll keep you posted.
Old 2011-05-09, 11:47   Link #36
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Updates:

For starters, I'm taking a look at Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no Sora (more KanaHana!). It's short and looks like a nice, quick watch - though I'm having a little trouble finding it at the moment, either via torrent or otherwise. I've watched three eps and I like it - great OP. as Totoum said. It's certainly relaxed in terms of pacing - it would have to pick up considerably to be "slow". By comparison, it makes Sketch Book look like Deadman Wonderland. But I like it.

Also taking a look at Hikaru no Go, based on the intriguing mix of tastes among the posters who recommended it. I hadn't really planned to take on a six-cour series with a sequel to boot, but it intrigues me so I'm giving it a shot...
Old 2011-05-09, 22:41   Link #37
Rahan

Some animes I consider as classics and didn't see mentioned

Hachimitsu to clover (Honey & clover) : the anime that started Noitamina in grand fashion. Well written romance / slice of life in college (for once, the characters are not highschoolers acting like grade schoolers)

Moyashimon another Noitamina show. Another college anime, but this time, the setting is unique : an agricultural university and a boy who can see and befriend microbes

Kino no Tabi (kino's journey) A "traveling" anime. The main character travels the world, never spending more than 3 days in the same country. It's a bit like Mushishi in the sense that it's episodic and that the emphasis is being put on the setting and the atmosphere rather than on plot or action.

Also, some shorter animes

Cromartie High School : The episodes are barely 10 mn long, opening included. It may looks like your ordinary delinquant school setting, but it's even more random than Guu.
Astro Fighter Sunred : Episodes are slightly longer (12-15 mn IIRC) but contain 2-3 gags segments. A former sentai hero quit the "earth protection" business is now unemployed and leeching off his girlfriend. However, his enemies are still trying to take him down even though he is more or less invincible and always beat them in one second. It's hilarious and you kinda cheer for the "bad guys" who try to accomplish their dreams rather than for Sunred who is a bully and a leech.

Last edited by Rahan; 2011-05-09 at 23:12.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 08:26   Link #38
Westlo
Lets be reality

Wow @ only one recommendation for Hajime no Ippo in this thread... /salutes mecharobot for being the only person to mention it.

Anyway I would recommend....

Kekkaishi, imo the best shounen action title from the likes of Magazine/Jump/Sunday since One Piece, good dynamic between the two leads and some higher than usual production values. I

RahXephon, still imo the best thing Studio Bones have worked on, similar to Evangelion but a lot of people prefer this to Eva as well..

Hajime no Ippo, I think this is the best sport anime period... just watch it...

Denpa teki na Kanojo - I see that you enjoyed Kurenai, don't forget to take a look at it's darker cousin....

Planetes - Probably the best out of the Goro Taniguchi Sunrise productions... Ryvius, Scryed and Geass being the other ones. I think this has been recommend a lot already...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 15:19   Link #39
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

The most recent one for me was Kuragehime. The comedy, characters and soundtrack were just sublime.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 22:50   Link #40
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Thanks for the latest additions to the list - some of them are seconds, and I have seen Kuragehime. The others will definitely go into the hopper for consideration.

It occurs to be that I probably need to add Full Metal Panic to that hopper too - I'm actually surprised no one has suggested it.