AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 10 14.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 20.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 40.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 24.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.43%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-08, 13:22   Link #21
VentAileron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Does this show really need a love triangle?
Actually, no. I it could've used a very different plot device, but a love triangle is the easy way out when you lack a plot that arcs over all the episodes.
Old 2011-05-08, 13:23   Link #22
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Lovely episode as always.

It seems to me grandmother,mother and daughter are much more alike than I first thought,I liked how it was Grandma that designed those outfits.

That preview though,seems like Mari Okada activated troll mode,or the preview itself is a troll
Old 2011-05-08, 13:29   Link #23
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

the revelation that the grandma designed those long ago to "try something new" was a great parallel to what her uncle was trying to do. they both had good ideas, but the execution couldn't have been more different.

also, the part with the paycheck was very well done too. Nako was thinking, "its so little," but Ohana, who had pretty much been given no allowance (my age x500.. hahaha), found that it was so much money. kind of like my first paycheck. my reaction was "holy freaking crap, $200 bucks for a week of teaching soccer!!!"

the triangle is probably not what we perceive it to be. its probably along the lines of Tooru imagining Minchi in dress like that, since she's always in that drab kitchen uniform. Okada isn't one to put actual pitfalls in her plots, but rather just detours. if you look at her original stuff: True Tears and Canaan, everyone ends up with who they're "supposed to" or where they're "supposed to."

i also don't care about the management consultant. dumb plot line. focus more on the girls and their development please.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-05-08, 13:34   Link #24
ipodi

Oahana needs to pick up a copy of Drucker's Management to turn the baseball team... err, I mean the inn around.
Old 2011-05-08, 13:37   Link #25
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It was another good episode but i wonder now where this show is really going. It's okay to spend a few episodes on one episode stories but I'd like to see more of an overall plot soon. The first quarter has already passed and it looks like the next one will be another one episode story aswell.

And unfortunately if there IS an overall plot then it might the the very one plot I didn't want: a love triangle between Ohana, Tohru and Minchi. Yet another hint gievn that Jirou is taking a real interest in Ohana this episode.

Last edited by Haak; 2011-05-08 at 15:15. Reason: Oops...
Old 2011-05-08, 13:42   Link #26
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
Actually, no. I it could've used a very different plot device, but a love triangle is the easy way out when you lack a plot that arcs over all the episodes.
A love triangle is fine. If Ohana becomes aware of Tohru's feelings, then she'll continue thinking about her relationship with Ko, which she has been doing for all episodes but this one.
Old 2011-05-08, 14:17   Link #27
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i'm pretty sure its unsaid, but every time she picks up her cellphone, she inherently thinks of Ko. its her only link to him any more. i can't wait for the ep where he shows up.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-05-08, 14:25   Link #28
satomianzaki

oh my...that smile on tooru's face...
someone's falling...ahehe...
Old 2011-05-08, 14:30   Link #29
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Enjoyable and well done, and I really like Ohana, but this show has slipped back to doing a good job of something not so wonderful, as opposed to the great promise it showed early on. But Ohana's path of growth, self-discovery, and contribution to the Inn continues.

For Minko's sake, I really do not want to see a love triangle, but they are certainly leading us to think something like that is going on.

I was struck by the few words the daughter of the visiting family spoke, so I checked her name in the credits: Kanemoto Hisako (Ika Musume). Naruhodo.

In the end credits, I noticed what looked like a Korean name heading the staff for this episode: director/storyboarder 許琮. Can anyone confirm that that name is in fact Korean? I thought he did a nice job with what he was given. He has also directed episodes of true tears, Canaaan, and Angel Beats for PAWorks, and of Real Drive for Production IG. I can't find anything like a bio for him, to know whether he's in Korea or Japanese Korean.

Googling the name, I see a pronunciation of Heo Jong. There is also a famous Song Dynasty Chinese poet whose name is written with the same characters, pronounced in Chinese Xu Cong (sounds like "Shoo Tsohng").
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2011-05-08, 14:36   Link #30
tezu

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
Agreed. A lot of anime travelled down this road before, I just wish Hanasaku could've thought of something else. I just hope it won't become a major driving force for the entire series because that would be...ugh.
Old 2011-05-08, 14:42   Link #31
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Same here, tho this is classified as a romance comedy but when Ohana already has Ko, it's kinda pointless to do that. One thing to note, however, is how Tohru displayed a sharp tongue to Ohana on many occasions like he did with Minko, but he hardly really complained about how Ohana does things compared to Minko, tho that could easily be coincidental.
Old 2011-05-08, 14:43   Link #32
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodi View Post
Oahana needs to pick up a copy of Drucker's Management to turn the baseball team... err, I mean the inn around.
Haha, my thoughts exactly. I was half expecting Ohana to whip out a copy of Peeta Dorakaa from under her pillow (or at least call a certain baseball team manager for advicel!).

As usual, I've got no particular complaints about my sentimental favourite for the season. Ohana was just adorable, the way she reacted to her pay. And then she went ahead and turned me to mush the way she waved bye bye to her kimono near the end of the episode.

No problems with a potential love triangle either, but let's not get too carried away. It's more likely going to be a one-sided affair at best.

Fan service is all and good, too. But, you know what? Getting pervy over 16-year-old girls is not particularly healthy, even if it's "legal" in Japan.
Old 2011-05-08, 14:47   Link #33
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
And unfortunately if there IS an overall plot then it might the the very one plot I didn't want: a love triangle between Ohana, Jirou and Minchi. Yet another hint gievn that Jirou is taking a real interest in Ohana this episode.
LOL, I think you mean Tooru...unles you really wish to see a love triangle featuring the perverted Jiroumaru .
Old 2011-05-08, 14:49   Link #34
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I cringed a bit when I saw some of the outfits the management consultant brought along for the girls to try, but luckily the outfits we actually saw the girls in didn't deviate too far from the show's sensibilities thus far. I wonder if someone involved in this episode has a low opinion of management consultants.

Overall, I enjoyed this episode a lot. It did a nice job of fleshing out the inn's situation and was full of the little comedic moments I love about this series (Ohana trying to take Minchi into cosplay, Tohru's expression, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
That preview though,seems like Mari Okada activated troll mode,or the preview itself is a troll
Define "troll mode" I'm totally up for a Tomoe centric episode where Nako practically wets herself due to a police raid.

I suspect (and hope) that Tomoe won't actually leave... she needs to be around when Ko shows up.

Quote:
It was another good episode but i wonder now where this show is really going. It's okay to spend a few episodes on one episode stories but I'd like to see more of an overall plot soon. The first quarter has already passed and it looks like the next one will be another one episode story aswell.

And unfortunately if there IS an overall plot then it might the the very one plot I didn't want: a love triangle between Ohana, Jirou and Minchi. Yet another hint gievn that Jirou is taking a real interest in Ohana this episode.
Tohru, not Jirou. Jirou was always more interested in Ohana. I'm not too concerned about the slow pace in recent episodes, most of the episodes thus far seem to be fleshing things out in a way that will probably be relevant later on (ie. as Totoum pointed out, we're getting hints about similarities between the three generations of Ohana's family). I also suspect that the Inn's situation will play an increasingly important role as we get farther along.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2011-05-08, 14:54   Link #35
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

This episode is a very nice step up from episodes 3-5. I think I'm almost able to say that this show returning to form. 8/10

Quote:

The overall plot has been and always will be Ohana growing accustomed to her new live in the inn, learning the value of hard work, and connecting to the people around her. A love triangle is possible, but I wouldn't really consider that an overall plot, but more of an another challenge to Ohana in trying to fit in with her new community, and bridge the gap between her and Minko.

That said, I do think the show broke its flow a bit in episode 3 and 5. Episodes 1-2, 4, and 6 seem to be more in line with the narrative and flow of the story.
Old 2011-05-08, 15:17   Link #36
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Er...right..Tohru...

Well i guess what I'm asking for are more complicated plots and developments that aren't resolved in single episodes.
Old 2011-05-08, 15:27   Link #37
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Er...right..Tohru...

Well i guess what I'm asking for are more complicated plots and developments that aren't resolved in single episodes.
I totally agree with you here. It's why I was one of the people who was so upset with what happened to this show after episode 2.

I think the plot will thicken once Kou arrives or they finally decide to interject real dramatic elements. At the moment the show hasn't been very serious past episode 2 (Not that it was overly so in episodes 1 or 2), so we'll just have to wait until they get there.
Old 2011-05-08, 15:42   Link #38
Midnight Bliss
Radiant as the sun;
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Bliss
I can't wait until Ohana starts liking Tooru back, and then Ko comes to conveniently visit while she's at the peak of her confusion in her feelings and BAM delicious drama.
Tooru X Ohana shipperfag here. I am excited.
Old 2011-05-08, 15:52   Link #39
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Define "troll mode" I'm totally up for a Tomoe centric episode where Nako practically wets herself due to a police raid.

I meant something completely random and over the top that makes episode 3 look really down to earth
But really,I'm just expecting the preview to be misleading.

I speculate that the real climax of the show will involve Ohana's family reuniting and/or having to save the Inn from closing down,those two things are being developed alongside the love triangle,though I suspect the love triangle will take prominence first.Maybe it'll serve as a climax to the first half of the series and get resolved at around episode 13.
Old 2011-05-08, 15:54   Link #40
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I loved how Ohana kept going back to the slit of the dress. Really, this isn't to surprising, considering how easily she handled Jiromaru's perverted book. Personally, it’s even a little refreshing, considering so many younger female anime characters either ignore or outright reject their sexuality (both of which are fairly unhealthy).
I love it as well. I'm not certain she's fully aware of her sex appeal, however. She's not totally oblivious to it, but she still seems a bit clueless about those kind of things, unlike what some people are claiming, huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodi View Post
Brilliant idea. This could actually produce tremendous results. A manager with an extremely positive attitude like Ohana would surely help improve the staff's morale, for one. After this episode, I'm not sure she'd be able to come up with good marketing ideas though
Still, it'd be interesting to see what she could come up with. She might draw inspiration from Jiromaru's book and turn the inn into a soapland