AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-11, 03:15   Link #1
Gravi-T
Rockin' Alchemist

FMA - dubbed on CN. Will the world end?

Everyone has probably has read the news about FMA being licensed (if you haven't: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...7&page=1&pp=20 ).
This thread isn't about the licensing. It's about dubbing. Please don't close it!

How do you think FMA would sound if it was dubbed? I don't think it would be THAT bad. Compared to what they would do to Naruto if it was being dubbed. "Shadow Clone Technique!".

All characters in FMA have English names (more or less) and will be easy for American voice actors to pronounce (unlike "Uzumaki Naruto"). Edward Elric and Alphonse Elric.

Okay, I'm not sure if Cartoon Network will dub this (I don't have CN and have never had it), can anyone else tell me if the dub other anime shows? Also, when the DVDs comes out will it include the English dub?

Plus all the writing in FMA (such as letters, signs, books) are in English. LOL, even I paused the episode to see how the Japanese wrote their English. ^^
I guess FMA is the perfect series to dub. No foreign names (if you don't count all the Europeanesque names and places), it's all in English except for the voices.

Will CN do a good job by dubbing it (if they ARE dubbing it)? Well that remains to see...
Old 2004-05-11, 03:26   Link #2
avmoghe

I have yet to see a dub that has carried through the emotions of the Japanese VA's.

Seeing as how they have completely ruined Gundam Seed with some of the worst dub voices, and most idiotic edits ever.. I fear the worst.

CN should be made to keep their filthy hands off serious Japanese animation. If they are really desperate to show it.. let them show dbz and hamtaro or other such series
Old 2004-05-11, 03:32   Link #3
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmoghe
I have yet to see a dub that has carried through the emotions of the Japanese VA's.

Seeing as how they have completely ruined Gundam Seed with some of the worst dub voices, and most idiotic edits ever.. I fear the worst.

CN should be made to keep their filthy hands off serious Japanese animation. If they are really desperate to show it.. let them show dbz and hamtaro or other such series

Gundam Seed ruined itself
some dubs turn out well, take cowboy bebop for example....... we can all just hope.
Old 2004-05-11, 04:35   Link #4
koreanbboy

i will personally hunt down the voices of those who had dubbed FMA...

i will not stop hunting until every single one of the voice cast has been dealt with swift justice...
Old 2004-05-11, 04:49   Link #5
sarcasteak
WAHA~

The simple solution of course is don't whine and stick to DVD releases so I can use Japanese voice with English subtitle, but since this thread is about the possible unfortunate scenario that CN will dub FMA...I will whine! XD

I don't think this issue pertains to FMA as I believe most viewers are generally pessimistic about English dubs of any series. Whether the character names and series language were in English does not matter to me as I generally don't have problems with English pronounciation of Japanese phrases and name; it's the VAs' failure to translate characters' emotions and personality through the dialogues that I vehemently despise.

It's not like Japanese fans revere seiyuus for no reason; I cringe whenever I hear the emotionless lines English VAs read off of in those anime CN airs. Besides...English dubbers will need to work a long way before I can ever forgive David Moo's butchering of Xelloss...
Old 2004-05-11, 05:19   Link #6
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Yes, the dubbing will be dire - there's no way US va's can match the enthusiasm and sheer talent of the Japanese va's that is a fact that will never change.

Can you even begin to imagine how Al's va will put emotion into the intro speech or 'Brother'?

No, it's just never going to work.

Sonhex

Last edited by Sonhex; 2004-05-11 at 05:31.
Old 2004-05-11, 05:22   Link #7
kujoe
from head to heel

Hmmm. Well, what matters to me the most is the translation (and transliteration) quality of the whole series itself. Since I prefer subtitles, this is what matters to me the most. (The same even goes for every foreign language film I choose to watch.) I have never resorted to the English dubs in an anime dvd ever, unless that's all it has. Even though the voice acting comes out well, I always seem to have an issue with the sound of the English voices itself. Sometimes, they don't even match the character. Not only does it sound different, but it feels different as well.

I'm not a fluent Japanese speaker, or anything remotely close to a proficient one, but the change brought about by English dubs can be so significant sometimes that my entire perspective on the story can also be affected. With that said, I'm hoping that this series doesn't get the kind of translation edits I don't want to see.

But hell yes--I definitely want to catch this series in dvd.
Old 2004-05-11, 05:30   Link #8
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Yes the world will end... Luckily I have a bomb shelter with an extra computer and all the fansubs I'll ever need.
Old 2004-05-11, 05:31   Link #9
Scrumhalf
Ed & Winry? :O

Send a message via MSN to Scrumhalf
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreanbboy
i will personally hunt down the voices of those who had dubbed FMA...

i will not stop hunting until every single one of the voice cast has been dealt with swift justice...
Stop talking nonsense.
Old 2004-05-11, 05:45   Link #10
Zidane

I will personaly hunt down all fanboys and free them from their miserable empty lives. I would be doing them a favour eventhough they dont realise it yet .
Old 2004-05-11, 06:43   Link #11
BanditKing

Damn I want to see this dub by bang Zoom or IS&M studio but with Funi licensed it I know its impossible.....sad
Old 2004-05-11, 06:49   Link #12
TronDD
Team the box!

Technically "Cartoon Network" doesn't dub anything. They just air the stuff. But when they do air FMA, it WILL be dubbed. They don't play subbed shows. No one does (maybe the anime network does, I don't know).

Like most others, I'm skeptical about the dubbing. I don't watch much dubbed anime to begin with, only a couple good shows are on TV, and I don't think I've ever seen anything by Funimation so I have no idea what there quality is typically like.

I'll give the FMA dub a go only because it'll be a while for DVDs to catch up.
Old 2004-05-11, 07:30   Link #13
Grona
Big Damit!

Its a shame its FUNimation, just imagine how they will edit it, and their dubs have been terrible >.< Hell, I'll bet they'll release 2-3 eps per disc just to bleed us.
Old 2004-05-11, 07:38   Link #14
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

No english voice actor will ever match the brilliance of Barry the Chopper. Greed has a helluva cool voice actor, too, and Gluttony... I'm afraid
Old 2004-05-11, 08:07   Link #15
Scrumhalf
Ed & Winry? :O

Send a message via MSN to Scrumhalf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
No english voice actor will ever match the brilliance of Barry the Chopper. Greed has a helluva cool voice actor, too, and Gluttony... I'm afraid
Heh, I reckon it would be at least cool also if some or each of the characters in the dubbed FMA; posesses different kinds of voice acting.

Like..

Edward Elric = Standard US accent (hoarse)
Alphonse Elric = Standard US accent (childish)
Winry Rockbell = German accent
Riza Hawkeye = Some feminine James Bondish accent
Roy Mustang = British (English) accent
Lust = Russian accent (purrrr...)
Envy = Standard US accent
Greed = Australian accent
Gluttony = Someone else can suggest one for this :/
Scar = A very hoarse accent. Maybe Scottish? or Middle-eastern type of English? :P

And the list goes on..
Old 2004-05-11, 08:20   Link #16
silentpixel
Champloo Addict

Send a message via AIM to silentpixel Send a message via MSN to silentpixel
Quote:
Originally Posted by avmoghe

then you havent seen cowboy bebop?
Old 2004-05-11, 08:21   Link #17
Kyon

Cartoon Network is just like any other cable channel. They just show the stuff.. they don't put it out themselves. They've "picked up" series like Family Guy, The Oblongs, Futurama, etc that other networks have dropped, and show reruns together with some anime in blocks.
They'll show the dub......
And since the people who dubbed DBZ are bringing us FMA, I can only wonder how the dub will turn out.
I prefer subs.. with a few rare exceptions. Just about all anime distributors include the Japanese audio track on the DVD, though.. so there's really nothing to worry about. If you don't watch it on TV XD

I agree that the names will be easy on the voice actors, though.. which is a relief.
Dubbed Inu Yasha is a headache if you know anything about how Japanese words are normally pronounced.

While I don't really like them that much, you have to admit dubs are good for grabbing new fans, though. More fans= more pointless merchandise. And I'm all about the pointless merchandise I love keychains, etc... so the more popular the show is, the easier it is for me to get my hands on import goods at the local anime conventions >
Old 2004-05-11, 08:28   Link #18
jakeellis01
We Live In The Moment!!

Send a message via ICQ to jakeellis01
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpixel
then you havent seen cowboy bebop?
I did... but i totally agree with avmoghe: Original language is always better.
Old 2004-05-11, 09:12   Link #19
kamij0

both edward and alphonse 's voice actor are females, if they dub with male guys doing it. geez .. sounds like they just ate some weird stuff.
Old 2004-05-11, 10:20   Link #20
otakreg
oXc

Send a message via AIM to otakreg
I've seen good dubs like FLCL and Cowboy Bebop. I've never seen a dub that I would consider to be better than the original Japanese, but... some dubs are okay. And the setting of FMA is very western, as seen not only in the architecture but also in the characters' names and the English writing, so it would be a pretty good anime to dub...

But Funimation is doing the dub. It will be shoddy at best. It will PROBABLY be terrible.

And I definitely won't thank CN for getting more fans... the cool thing about anime is that it's Japanese and totally different (and better) than American animation. If it becomes mainstream, well, let's just say that the more popular anime gets, the more people look down upon it. In America, animation is traditionally for kids... except for comedies like The Simpsons and Futurama and Family Guy that forcefully prove that they're not for kids through vulgarity. (Not that I have a problem with this.) But for every new anime fan in America, there are several new people who find out about anime because of the anime series on TV and immediately begin stereotyping it as some weird kiddie cartoons that losers watch.
Closed Thread