AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-04-04, 14:18   Link #61
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

I recently bought the game on STEAM, and it was the best inversion ever.

I'm a huge fan of the Civ games. My favorite is Civ III, because it can run on any PC, also because it was the first game I bought.
Strigon 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 19:54   Link #62
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

I also prefer the third but I can't play it since I passed to Windos7 ...
Old 2011-04-06, 20:37   Link #63
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
You were fending off tanks with Pikemen? That sounds pretty amazing, even if spearmen beat tanks.
Somehow, I can imagine that in "real life". Sorta like... Ewoks fighting back against Imperial Troops and machina.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 23:50   Link #64
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
From IV:

I like wonders
Spoiler:

Of course, I did lose a bunch of wonders by a few turns. especially to the Incas. Naturally they had to die for that...

And also, Defense pacts are funny. lol@ Montezuma. The event log isn't even log enough to detail all the war declarations.
Spoiler:

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-04-07 at 00:10.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 00:27   Link #65
Kyuu
=^^=

Civ IV Montezuma was ALWAYS an annoying prick, who always deserves to be beat down to the stone ages (just like the real version).

Thus, Cortez did the world a favor.

And oh, just when I was wondering about a patch update:
http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/1...-been-released

A month or two, too slow. Then again, March was dominated by Starcraft play.

Looking at the reduction in maintenance values to various buildings. That's some relief. I play huge map, marathon. And apparently, empires tend to get large in this mode. Thus, I've often been choked maintenance-wise.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 00:49   Link #66
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

That is true, but this is the first time I've seen him declare on a 15 civ defensive pact. There's 18-- with him and his 2 vassals declaring; that's sending the whole world into war.

Notes:
I really don't like the trading post nerf. Then again, with the maintenance reduction it may be a bit better.

Omg, they nerfed the shit out of fish. :// Now water tiles are even worse.

Settlers more expensive? Wtf? The game's gonna go even slower now.

-- They nerfed the shit out of golden ages. 20% is not very much considering the low yield of tiles.

At least the diplomacy is better. Arist monuments might actually be useful, if you stick them on a grassland in your lesser cities. Trade routes are now improved, and Hospitals might actually be useful. Policy boosts in general are great ideas for balance.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-04-08, 21:39   Link #67
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Settlers more expensive? Wtf? The game's gonna go even slower now.
What!!?? I was having so much fun as Alexander of Greece quickly expanding 6-7 cities early game and conquering the AI with my mass Hoplites
Old 2011-07-19, 14:10   Link #68
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Going to use this thread for general Civ talk.

Archon_Wing and I started a Civ game as Egypt and France respectively and so far he's gone fairly strongly into a warfare build while I've gone for more of a growth/culture build that's allowing for war units to be developed as necessary. We've also shared a few techs which has come in pretty handy, especially for me since I was lacking quite a few techs on the religion front and he lacked a couple on the culture front. I also took Great Wall and Judaism since it was spreading, but I'm not sure what wonders Archon has or what religion he took, but he said it wasn't the most popular one so I'm currently sending a missionary up to convert him to Judaism.

In any case he took care of his neighbours pretty early at the cost of much of his standing army and my biggest problem right now is Willem Van Oranje getting dangerously close to my capital. I think I can fend him off with culture for now though while I build up my army and Archon does the same. The plan is to wait until Gunpowder. I also plan to come around with my settlers and cut off the rest of Asia from Archon and me as best I can and he plans to meet up with me in the meantime as he spreads out east and we build a network between our cities. Should be interesting. We might have to fight Tokugawa Ieyasu, but I think a containment strategy ought to work out okay....hopefully.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 17:56   Link #69
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Oh, heh, this could be the general Civ thread then. My god, Civ IV's a good game, but the multiplayer leaves much to be desired...

These aren't live screenshots, I forgot to take them, just loaded up our latest save. I am Egypt, slavedriver of wonders, and Kaioshin is France, ruler of the snobs. j/k That'd be Louis XIV anyways. Both leaders are industrious, meaning the build wonders faster, which is always nice. Ramsees is spiritual, meaning I'll never have anarchy, which is a bit ironic considering it's Egypt.

Mediocre start. I shouldn't have asked Kaioshin for more players, which equates to less space and some screwy spots.

Meanwhile, my neighbor Ragnar is a jackass, expanding in my direction. Not only that, he's a known backstabber, and is blessed by the Viking gods a much better capital than mine. It's on a hill for more defense, lots of food, and production (hills/forests) Well, after 8 war chariots, it's mine now. I was considering moving the palace, but whatever. It also had a lot of trees which I cut down to make the oracle.

Well good spot here, I'm #1 in everything that I care about, except military and land area. But I do have the most money (Thank you Sitting Bull for that shrine) and the largest population. Sitting Bull for some reason didn't get very far so I took him out too... another capital better than mine.

I also see that the approval rating and life expectancy is low, but being a ruler of a world power, it's my duty to ignore these things. This isn't real life Egypt where they're gonna overthrow me, are they? Also, I have a lot of angry Jewish Neighbors...

Decent tech lead here. I hold a monopoly on currency and literature. You suckers can keep bartering. I'll just keep printing money until it becomes worthless. Meanwhile, the Great Library is pretty much a shooin, as well as the Parthenon.

Kaioshin informs me he has stone, but despite the fact that I'm Egypt, I'll leave the pyramids to him.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-19, 20:03   Link #70
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Something's strange there. On the last picture I see two Archon_Wings Have you found out how to successfully clone yourself??
Old 2011-07-19, 22:02   Link #71
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

I didn't take this screenshots after the game, I had to load the save file w/o kaioshin, and thus the names are screwed up. Why it calls him archon_wing is beyond me, but I'm in yellow.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-19, 22:38   Link #72
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I suppose it's the engine that the game is running on for multiplayer games. Since there was no one else with you at the time you loaded the game, it merely took your name into account to replace anonymous user since the anonymous faction was a player. It couldn't simply add an AI to replace the name. Which is what I'm just going to guess.

Anyway, looking forward to when you two do play again
Old 2011-07-20, 12:34   Link #73
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I suppose it's the engine that the game is running on for multiplayer games. Since there was no one else with you at the time you loaded the game, it merely took your name into account to replace anonymous user since the anonymous faction was a player. It couldn't simply add an AI to replace the name. Which is what I'm just going to guess.

Anyway, looking forward to when you two do play again
It's cause he loaded the game as my side. I did the same only loaded from his side and it replaced his name with mine on the status screen as well.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 14:33   Link #74
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Civ IV Montezuma was ALWAYS an annoying prick, who always deserves to be beat down to the stone ages (just like the real version).
i made it general rule to hunt down monty, shaka and ragnar immediately if i see these near my civie. biggest bunch backstabbers ever.
Old 2011-07-20, 14:51   Link #75
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Yea, I had to dispose of Ragnar immediately because not only does he spam units, he can and will attack even if he's "pleased" with you. Montezuma actually has a weakness with religion, it's generally hard to get Ragnar to like you at all.

Shaka's not much of a backstabber, since he's pretty blatant about warring. It's best to bribe him into attacking someone else and joining.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-20, 21:12   Link #76
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Another 1000 years or so past, and I'm really considering moving the capital. It's really sad when your capital's the 4th largest city out of 9.

I'm so glad I killed Ragnar, there's no way I could have kept up with him if he still has this

Sitting Bull's capital is a tempting place to move to as well

Meanwhile Kaioshin has been squished by the dutch culture, and is actively involved in a culture war involving the border rice. While both sides remain cordial, there's no doubt elitists in both circles are viewing the other side with disdain. The French would probably do best to colonize the uncharted continents to the north west. But the local natives won't be happy, so a small force would be needed to protect any new settlements. Meanwhile I'm looking at colonizing the northern part of the continent at our leisure... we basically control that entire coast line.

Sadly, I was not invited into the Jewish block still. I did found 2 religions and inevitably finding a 3rd. Since I captured the Hindu holy shrine for Sitting Bull, I built the Apostolic Palace under that.

Harr harr, besides Kaioshin's Pyramids and Great Wall, I have built every wonder thus far in the game (No AI has succeeded in building a wonder yet). And Sistine Chapel will be mine in 5 turns as well, allowing for some serious culture pressure.

Demographics screen shows good news as well. For siome reason I am no. 3 in land somehow, I blame it on the Dutch and Sumerian culture expanding. I do however, have almost 5x the population as the closest rival. (Victory conditions screen shows I have 28% of the world's population) As well as 3x GNP and 3x production. I seem to be dead last in approval rating and health but hey. I'll need to trade for luxury goods.

At this current point, I could choose to resume military production which could easily run over my neighbors with any choice of unit, but since they're nice to me, I'll return the favor for now. I could go for a peaceful space race victory and ally with Kaioshin later. Or I can colonize the new world and tech like a madman and run people over with modern units. What would you guys prefer?

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-20, 21:19   Link #77
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

What I learned today, Archon_Wing is a militaristic, ambitious person I would go with the space race victory.
Old 2011-07-20, 21:25   Link #78
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
What I learned today, Archon_Wing is a militaristic, ambitious person I would go with the space race victory.
i always go for the Military victory. I consider the Space/Culture/political victory too damn cheap.

And how do you raise Life Expectancy? My civ could be first in tech, culture food and cash and still be in the bottom on Life Expectancy.
Old 2011-07-20, 21:39   Link #79
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^Apparently it's quite a simple formula. Skip to the relevant section(s):

Quote:
The formula is health / health + sickness. At the beginning of the game the default is 30 years.
Quote:
The approval rate and life expectance show you the potential nations have for future population growth in their cites, as high numbers in both these categories means that there is plenty of room to added pop points to cities without having unhappy or unhealthy people.
So having (or trading for) different types of food, smaller cities, health buildings everywhere, and forests + environmentalism contribute to making your country into a Scandinavian welfare utopia. That's...pretty close to reality actually.

Most players play for raw power, however, and population is power. Extra health buildings are also quite low on the build priorities unless the player is looking for a buffer for future growth or potential loss of resources. There's always that next wonder to build, one more modern armor to pump out to fuel the war machine, or just plain wealth or science production when there's not much else to do.

And those forests? Well Archon_Wing demonstrated their most common use in one of his posts above.

As for the play Archon and Kaioshin are having. I'd say you tech and colonize and cooperate with Kaioshin to leave the rest of the world behind in their Medieval squalor. Then you can always choose whether you'd crush riflemen with tanks or aim for the stars. What is Kaioshin doing in that game beside culture warring with the Dutch by the way?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 21:45   Link #80
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i always go for the Military victory. I consider the Space/Culture/political victory too damn cheap.

I'm actually not a very violent leader, my most common victory is actually space or culture.

It's just that I had a fairly mediocre capital and I see these 2 neighbors with very good capitals. You can't have someone with the custom title of "hater" not act on that.

Quote:
And how do you raise Life Expectancy? My civ could be first in tech, culture food and cash and still be in the bottom on Life Expectancy.
[/quote]

It's just health, which is hard to improve early on besides aqueducts and trading health resources. Because it's based on population, it's very difficult to get working. Later on you can build recycling centers but in general health isn't that important-- it's actually happiness that stunts your growth. And by the late game, you're not really worried about having cities grow that much larger.

You can also enact the environmentalism (hippy) civic but that only works if you're rich.

MyAnimeList || Reviews