AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think is behind the mystery?
There is a rational reason behind all of this. 140 74.87%
There is definitely something supernatural at hand. 47 25.13%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2005-12-18, 23:28   Link #1
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Higurashi (1st Season) General Discussion

Welcome to the General Discussion thread for Higurashi no Naku Koroni.

Feel free to discuss and share comprehensive analysis and theories of this title here. As each episode bring out new hints and yet more mysteries, you may use this thread to share and discuss your theories about what is going on in the little town of Hinamizawa. Utilize the clues that were uncovered in each episode and utilize them to formulate your hypothesis in the General Discussion Thread.

Spoiler Tag Usage

Using Spoiler Tags is easy. Using this...

[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use the spoiler title[/spoiler]

....will get you this...

Spoiler for title:

ADDITIONAL RULES FOR Higurashi no Naku Koroni
  • Make sure you read the English wikipedia article for Higurashi no Naku Koroni before you ask questions!!!
  • Feel free to share your theories and speculations. In fact, I encourage you to do so as this is what makes this series interesting.
  • I am designating Sushi-Y and Freakman to lead the discussion in the correct path without spoilers as they have played the game in advance. I put confidence in them that they will recognize a member has spilled the beans too far if any other members has begun to play the game.
  • SPOILERS FAR ADVANCED THAN THE CURRENT AIRED ANIME EPISODE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. THIS INCLUDES THOSE IN SPOILER TAGS!!!. People tend to peek at spoiler tags; especially when they do not know such tag is meant for the episode, only to find it spilling the beans too far advanced in the game storyline.
  • And finally, feel free to utilize the translated TIPS written on the Higurashi no Naku Koroni TIPS thread for more clues and hints that the anime, manga, and dramaCD do not provide. You may also try looking at the Poems by Frederica Bernkastel as a supplement as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[original lost, beginning of thread recovered]

One of the biggest hit doujin games since Tsukihime, 07th Expansion's Higurashi no Naku Koroni will become an anime scheduled to air sometime in 2006! Yay!

Animation studio: Studio Deen
Director: Kon Chiaki
Series screenplay: Mochiduki Tomomi
Character design: Sakai Kyuta

I wonder if they will keep the seiyuus that did the voices (at least for the main characters) for the Higurashi no Naku Koroni Drama CD:

Maehara Keiichi: Hoshi Souichirou
Ryuuguu Rena: Nakahara Mai
Sonozaki Mion: Yukino Satsuki
Houjou Satoko: Kanai Mika
Furude Rika: Tamura Yukari

http://www.oyashirosama.com/

I wonder how the English title will be...will the fansubbers use the official English title: 07th Expansion presents, Welcome to Hinamizawa... "When They Cry" or will they literally translate it to "When the Cicadas Cry."

Footnote for future non-doujin playing fansubbers: the red "Na" in Higurashi no Naku Koroni is an important part of the official title (could it be an important piece of the puzzle? ....I'm not telling). DON'T LEAVE THE RED "NA" OUT!!! (Damn it, is there anyway to change the thread title to show the red "Na" properly!?)

Then again, since the drama CD was distributed by Geneon Entertainment, and seeing how Higurashi no Naku Koroni is following directly in the footstep of how Tsukihime's popularity has blossomed, it won't surprise me at all if this anime has already been licensed by Geneon USA.

On the other hand, since I hardly doubt that most non-Japanese anime fans have ever heard or played the doujin game (the thread for discussing the Higurashi no Naku Koroni doujin game), very few to none of you would know how big of a news this is...

....see you guys all at the Watanagashi Festival.... hee-hee.

[Decided to give this thread a new fresh start]
Sushi-Y, please contribute.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-05-05 at 14:23.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 00:51   Link #2
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Sushi-Y, please contribute.
What is that, it's almost as if you knew that I was going to type up a new thread for this, and then just before posting it, I would see this thread and realize that I was one step too late, so with that one line there, allow me to have a chance to post what I typed up too? ^^;

Well, since kj1980 provided the basic details about the anime staff, I'll remove that part in my post.

For those of you who are still unfamiliar with the series. Higurashi no Naku Koroni (When the Cicadas Cry, or its official English subtitle "When They Cry") is a highly successful doujin sound novel series that has a huge fanbase following in Japan (for a doujin game). As of now, Higurashi's popularity can even be said to rival that of historically big-hits such as Type-Moon's Tsukihime or Fate/stay night.

In any case, since this thread is supposed to be about the game's anime adaptation, I'll forgo an introduction of the game. Besides what kj1980 mentioned above, other technical details about this anime are:

========
Episode Count: 26
Estimated Airtime: 2006
Genre: Serial Murder Suspense Horror
Adapted from:
"Higurashi no Naku Koroni"
"Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai"
by Ryukishi07 / 07th Expansion
========

Of course, despite what the genre suggests, Higurashi no Naku Koroni is actually a pretty balanced story with memorable "laugh-out-loud" moments as well as tear-jerking ones. One of the reason why the game is so popular despite the amateurish art is simply because of the brilliance in the writings. Hopefully the anime adaptation can successfully replicate the unique story and bring the characters and settings to life on television.

In terms of visual materials for the anime, there isn't much out yet, besides the recent revealing of the character designs, which I'll list here:

Maebara Keiichi:

The "player character" of the story. Most of the story is told through the viewpoint of Keiichi, a young teenager who recently moved from the city to the rural village of Hinamizawa with his family, making new friends and adjusting to the new life as he goes along.

Ryuugu Rena:

The sweet yet reliable classmate who lives close to Keiichi and helped him settle into his new life. Loves cute things, although her definition of cute may differ from the average person.

Sonozaki Mion:

The "big sis" of the group with a cheerful personality. Always takes the lead in decision makings. Class president as well as the club president for the infamous "Club Activities". She's also the next leader of the Sonozaki house, 1 of the 3 houses that govern Hinamizawa.

Houjou Satoko:

The little prankster of the class who has a talent (mastery?) for trapsetting. Lively and energetic, and sneaky at times. The fact that she speaks polite language but does so incorrectly can be said as a symbol of her personality? The last picture is really a spoiler, but it builds anticipation I guess. (What could make Satoko so sad like that?)

Furude Rika:

The innocent little girl who treatens to "cute" you to death, especially when she makes her trademark "nipa~☆" smile. According to Keiichi, she's really the sneakiest of the bunch. Sole survivor of the Furude house, 1 of the 3 houses that govern Hinamizawa.

Oishi Kuraudo:

The middle-aged police detective who will come into contact with our main characters at some point in the story.

Chie-sensei:

The lone teacher of Hinamizawa's school that our main characters attend at. The feeling that her appearance and her love for curry is awfully similiar to a certain Type-Moon character is only your imagination.

Tomitake Jiro:

The free cameraman who frequently visits Hinamizawa to gather photo materials. In a way, the most tragic character ever.

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2005-12-19 at 16:41.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 01:39   Link #3
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Thanky you the two of you, I really appreciate it to see both of you back in here. Let's not have this hacker lower our spirits now

Oh, and I'm gonna find out why the "Na" is red
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 01:32   Link #4
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron
Thanky you the two of you, I really appreciate it to see both of you back in here. Let's not have this hacker lower our spirits now

Oh, and I'm gonna find out why the "Na" is red
Well, according to 07th Expansion and fans alike, the red Na is an integral part of the official title. Everyone seems to be using that out of respect for the original title.

Maebara Keiichi rules in the Watanagashi CD!!! I love Hoshi Souichirou's voice when he's up against and backdealing with Tomita-kun and Okamura-kun.

After reading through Minagoroshi-hen, I now really want to see how brilliantly the anime staff is going to do the entire "Higurashi no Naku Koroni" storyline.

Shit, I knew it was going to be very drastic, but nothing like in a scale like this!!! That was just terrifyingly wrong!!! Auauauau~!!!

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-01-01 at 22:53.
Old 2006-01-01, 18:28   Link #5
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Wow quad post, I see enthusiasm.

And what's "So did you get the three mangas and the Watanagashi Drama CD?"? Is that for me? I bought the mangas, but not the drama CDs (but I probably will if/when the Tatarigoroshi version comes out). I have listened to parts of it, as well as extras lying around here and there, and I really loved Satoko's voice, and Rika's, and Keiichi's, and...

Is the anime going to incorporate contents from the final chapters? But the final chapter, Saihayashi-hen, won't be out until what, Comike 70 (2006/8)?

Of course, I would love that, the "Kai" chapters have all been brilliant so far, and from some reactions (including Mr.kj here) I have seen around the net, Minagoroshi-hen doesn't seem to disappoint either.

Now then, if the shipment would only arrive...
Old 2006-01-02, 05:36   Link #6
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Wow quad post, I see enthusiasm.

And what's "So did you get the three mangas and the Watanagashi Drama CD?"? Is that for me? I bought the mangas, but not the drama CDs (but I probably will if/when the Tatarigoroshi version comes out). I have listened to parts of it, as well as extras lying around here and there, and I really loved Satoko's voice, and Rika's, and Keiichi's, and...

Is the anime going to incorporate contents from the final chapters? But the final chapter, Saihayashi-hen, won't be out until what, Comike 70 (2006/8)?

Of course, I would love that, the "Kai" chapters have all been brilliant so far, and from some reactions (including Mr.kj here) I have seen around the net, Minagoroshi-hen doesn't seem to disappoint either.

Now then, if the shipment would only arrive...
Oh you should really get the drama CDs...Yukino Satsuki does an excellent job in voice acting Mion and Shion in the latest Watanagashi CD.

As for Minagoroshi-hen, one of the greatest things about this chapter is the beautiful-but-melacholic music in the final scenes... auauauau~

By the way Sushi-Y, do you have a favorite music in Higurashi? I would definitely say "thanks" and "you" from Meakashi as it portrays Shion's state of heart very beautifully. I especially love the lyrics to the vocal version of "you" in M.Graveyard's "Higurashi no Naku Koroni" original soundtrack. It's so sad, yet it matches perfectly with Shion's feelings toward Satoshi-kun at the end of Meakashi...

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-01-02 at 21:58.
Old 2006-01-26, 10:24   Link #7
LytHka
Banned

Quote:
OP theme to be sung by... Shimamiya Eiko (produced by I've)!!
Sir, you've just made my day.
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 00:15   Link #8
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
OP theme to be sung by... Shimamiya Eiko (produced by I've)!!
ED theme by Katakiri Rekka! Wow! Isn't this going to be her first major debut?
That's a nice lineup ^^ I loved Katakiri Rekka's 魂の慟哭 for Tama-Soft's LOST CHILD as well, she has a really well-balanced and clear voice. Wow, I can't wait to see what kind of songs they're going to make for something like Higurashi.
Old 2006-01-27, 08:00   Link #9
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Daybreak got me interrested. It was a fun little game demo. That and the countless ads in magazines.

However, to avoid the inevitable flood of unmarked spoilers I'm gonna likely keep away from the thread for the most part. Still though, I have very high hopes for it.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 08:26   Link #10
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

Sounds interesting, think i will have to give this one a taste!
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-03, 13:43   Link #11
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Haven't updated this in a while:

HP updated: http://www.oyashirosama.com
Promo trailer on Animate.tv: http://www.animate.tv/pv/detail.php?...sea=&tid=&rid=
Old 2006-03-03, 19:14   Link #12
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

And I was hoping to see some actual animation contents from the promo too... ^^; I guess we'll just have to wait until the 9th.
Old 2006-03-04, 00:44   Link #13
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Even though there was no animation, I did like the trailer though. It gave you this sense of lo-fi spookiness <_<
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 13:02   Link #14
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

So, who is going to buy the Tatarigoroshi-hen Drama CD?
Old 2006-03-24, 02:25   Link #15
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
So, who is going to buy the Tatarigoroshi-hen Drama CD?
Well, maybe, I'm not sure yet...

...I'm sorry, I was wrong, I will definately buy it.

===========
By the way, the official site finally added some shots from the anime!

*puts down magnifying glass*
The hair highlight really stands out for me. ^^;
But other than that, it looks nice to me. The atmosphere of the sceneries seems good too.
Old 2006-03-24, 06:40   Link #16
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Hrm... looks like it's been pushed backed (expectedly) to a May 27 airing on AT-X.

EDIT: Oops, maybe it's just AT-X that's airing late... though it's kind of odd for the OP/ED singles to come out that late for a show starting in early April.

Last edited by zalas; 2006-03-24 at 15:48.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 14:50   Link #17
eggplant
Eggplant

I will say only one thing about this anime, as I haven't played the game, and have only read the manga because it's serialized in the same magazine as Pani Poni: I feel sorry for the poor soul who has to go through the excruciating procedure of trying to decipher the Engrish for the ending song in order to make the karaoke subs.

I heard it live today, and it's like...please give me a break. I just pray that the recorded version can be any better.

For those of you who would like to read my report on the stage events for the Tokyo Anime Fair, please visit this site.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

Last edited by eggplant; 2006-05-06 at 06:13.
eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 07:55   Link #18
Freakman

I hope they keep some of the tracks from the game.
If they don't put in D_Network, I'll seriously be a sad panda.
Freakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 18:15   Link #19
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakman
I hope they keep some of the tracks from the game.
If they don't put in D_Network, I'll seriously be a sad panda.
D...?
*starts game up and goes into music room just to check*
Ah, Digital Network, the signature "club activity" bgm. Yes, I hope they keep that too.

My personal favorite track from the question chapters was "Orange Iro no Shi" (Orange Colored Poem), I just love that calm melodic piano, it delivered the "carefree, simple countryside" feel perfectly. Same for "Heigen wo Yuku" (The track played when Rika gave Akasaka the Hinamizawa bus tour). One other track from the question chapters I hope they'd use would be "Silence". I think it presented Keiichi's feelings at the time perfectly. It was really a good track, it was a pity that it wasn't used in the answer chapters at all.

As for the answer chapters, I loved so many tracks it would be pointless to list them. I seriously hope they would make use of some of the tracks from these chapters too.
Old 2006-03-26, 20:52   Link #20
shikamarufoo

Thise looks very interesting but is there a fansub for it or any other way to watch it?
shikamarufoo is offline   Reply With Quote