AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2009-06-09, 15:35   Link #901
Kirbyeggs
Even in Death I Serve

why did Yzak and Dearka loose the Buster and the Duel?
i mean at the end of SEED they were promoted and they were given Zakus that were customized, Why not just give the Duel and Buster back? And their roles were also let down too...
But in all seriousness The Buster and Duel were better than all of the druggie's gundams because they still had PS instead of TPS

I feel sory for those two XD
and Kira is the same rank as Yzak too
Old 2009-06-09, 18:07   Link #902
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbyeggs View Post
i mean at the end of SEED they were promoted and they were given Zakus that were customized, Why not just give the Duel and Buster back? And their roles were also let down too...
But in all seriousness The Buster and Duel were better than all of the druggie's gundams because they still had PS instead of TPS

The Zakus had better performance than the first-gen Gundams, that's why. PS didn't mean much anymore in Destiny since everyone had beam weapons anyway.
Old 2009-06-09, 19:48   Link #903
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I what is Setsuna's and Graham's obsession with Gundams? I know Setsuna wants to be a Gundam but what is Graham's concern for the Gundam? I just can't put it down.
Old 2009-06-09, 19:58   Link #904
Kiekan

I don't think its so much that Setsuna wants to be a Gundam... I think its more that "Gundam" represents Setsuna's will to do good and succeed. Look at the flashback he has in which he sees the 0 Gundam, the angel wings give it a real divine and angelic look. Angels are often perceived as the ultimate do-gooders. And I think its symbolic of Setsuna's motive.

Graham on the other hand just wants to defeat Setsuna, since he believes that Setsuna is the best there is (in terms of fighting ability). And he wants to show everyone that he and his Flag squad are better. Or at least that's the way I took it.

"If you desire one thing for so long, it's a given that you'll
miss other things along the way. That's how it is... that's
life" - Godo (Berserk)

http://kiekan88.deviantart.com
Kiekan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 20:19   Link #905
Kirbyeggs
Even in Death I Serve

actually i think the first gen gundams are stronger than zakus i mean even with beam weapons the Duel is imo a lot better than any zaku with its assault shroud, and even then they could've upgraded them. there were pretty whole at the end of SEED
Old 2009-06-09, 21:35   Link #906
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
actually i think the first gen gundams are stronger than zakus i mean even with beam weapons the Duel is imo a lot better than any zaku with its assault shroud, and even then they could've upgraded them. there were pretty whole at the end of SEED
Official info says they're not. Do not underestimate the tech gap between CE 70 and 73. In fact, profiles for Impulse Gundam actually say that it outperforms Freedom Gundam, for example. And even the great Kira piloting Strike Rouge would eventually get mauled by a bunch of Zakus and Goufs.

And they definitely could have upgraded Duel and Buster, that's why we got Blu Duel and Verde Buster in Stargazer. Not that the upgrades did them a whole lot of good though, with the Blu Duel lasting like 10 seconds in combat and Verde Buster getting beaten by a bunch of Civilian Astrays (though I guess that was more the result of the actions of a crazy pilot)...
Old 2009-06-10, 11:04   Link #907
Kirbyeggs
Even in Death I Serve

If only Yzak had SEED (but wait he did!, but it was in a volleyball match...)
Old 2009-06-10, 13:42   Link #908
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
The Zakus had better performance than the first-gen Gundams, that's why. PS didn't mean much anymore in Destiny since everyone had beam weapons anyway.
Quote:
Even if the early GAT Gundams were a bit better overall than the Zakus, there's still good logistical reasons for not keeping unique machines in the order of battle, particularly ones that you didn't build yourself - it'd mean that any spare parts would have to be constructed from scratch for just that one machine. It's the kind of expense that's somewhat justifiable in wartime, but it'd be a terrible idea when at peace. And realistically, the early GAT models had were early prototypes, and they had a bunch of flaws that went with that. Any sensible officer would try to phase them out as quickly as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I'm pretty sure Charred_Knight hates it more than you do, but I think that's because he hates it on principle and not for any actual specific reason.
If you read Charred_Knight's posts, you'd realize that he actually likes Gundam 00 overall; he's just still willing to point out its weak points.
Old 2009-06-10, 21:12   Link #909
Hellbore

Quote:

I think I remember reading somewhere that the reason that ZAFT no longer uses the Buster or Duel is that they were either handed back to the EA or destroyed as part of the treaty signed at the end of the First Bloody Valentine War.

Also Dearka was demoted at the end of SEED from a Red Coat to a ordinary pilot. Yzak was the only one promoted, possibly because he destroyed both the Forbidden and Raider Gundams, whereas Dearka defected from ZAFT and joined the Three Ship Alliance.

On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
Hellbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 21:56   Link #910
Kirbyeggs
Even in Death I Serve

i has a lot of questions
Spoiler for spoilers (Unicorn):
Old 2009-06-11, 06:08   Link #911
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
i has a lot of questions
Spoiler for spoilers (Unicorn):
Spoiler:
Old 2009-06-11, 06:17   Link #912
fizzmaister
The Tall One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
I what is Setsuna's and Graham's obsession with Gundams? I know Setsuna wants to be a Gundam but what is Graham's concern for the Gundam? I just can't put it down.
Setsuna's obsession isn't so much with a Gundam (a machine) but rather with Gundam (concept/ embodiment of CB's ideals)

Graham's obsession is a gradual evolution throughout the first season. At first it's awe, then admiration, then love, then hate. And by the time the second season comes around, it's just an empty need to destroy it. In other words, his views of Gundam change from a new goal to surpass, to something which must be destroyed to avenge his teammates, to the one thing which always stands in his way and laughs at his futile attempts at vengeance. If you want to hear something interesting, play "union" and all of the variations from the first two OST's in order that they appear in the anime. You can hear Graham's slow corruption into Mr. Bushido.
Old 2009-06-11, 22:51   Link #913
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

So, this might be a bit blasphemous, but I have never seen anything Gundam, but am about to start.

I just had a quick Q as ANN confuses me on this but I don't want to delve too deep because I don't want to be spoiled since I know next to nothing about the franchise. Can I basically start from episode 1 of any Gundam series, or is there an order in which I should watch them?
MikaMiaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 23:18   Link #914
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaMiaka View Post
So, this might be a bit blasphemous, but I have never seen anything Gundam, but am about to start.

I just had a quick Q as ANN confuses me on this but I don't want to delve too deep because I don't want to be spoiled since I know next to nothing about the franchise. Can I basically start from episode 1 of any Gundam series, or is there an order in which I should watch them?
Not all of the series are connected. If you're watching the original timeline, start with Mobile Suit Gundam. If you're watching any of the AU series barring the SEED, you can watch them in any particular order you choose. With the SEED series, you'll want to watch Mobile Suit Gundam SEED, then SEED Destiny, then SEED Stargazer.
Old 2009-06-12, 00:21   Link #915
4Tran

Quote:

The ideal way to watch is to do so chronologically, starting from Mobile Suit Gundam. However, I can see how this can be a bit of a problem, and that old shows aren't for everyone. If you prefer, you can start with the first episode of the following shows:
  1. Mobile Suit Gundam (or the MSG compilation movies)
  2. G Gundam
  3. Gundam Wing
  4. Gundam X
  5. Turn A Gundam
  6. Gundam Seed (not Seed Destiny)
  7. Gundam 00

At a pinch, the following shows are part of the Universal Century universe, but they're separate enough that you can probably get the gist of what's going on. The same is probably true of Gundam F91, but that's the one semi-major Gundam show I've never watched.
  1. Gundam 0080
  2. 08th MS Team
  3. Victory Gundam

You can also start with Zeta Gundam, but bear in mind that it will spoil parts of Mobile Suit Gundam.
Old 2009-06-12, 02:22   Link #916
elindir
Overreacher

Quote:

If you want to watch it chronologically, have a look at this list:

Universal Century shows:

1. Mobile Suit Gundam
2. Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
3. Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
4. Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
5. Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
6. Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam
7. Char's Counterattack
8. Mobile Suit Gundam F91
9. Mobile Suit Victory Gundam

I hope I wrote each entry in the right order.

Last edited by elindir; 2009-06-13 at 03:58. Reason: Correction
elindir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 18:23   Link #917
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
08th MS Team takes place in October whereas 0080 takes place in December. Switch them around in your list.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 19:02   Link #918
Kirbyeggs
Even in Death I Serve

gundam unicorn is in between CCA and f91
Old 2009-06-12, 23:51   Link #919
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

LOL, thanks Rising Dragon, 4Tran, elindir, Deacon Blues, and Kirbyeggs for your replies, seems like there's A LOT to get through!

So, not all the series are connected -- do different characters appear throughout the different series? Does the ensemble cast change from series to series?

I don't really care about being chronological in terms of release dates, but I would like to be able to follow an ensemble cast from its introduction to the end.

But all your info and lists have been very helpful, thanks again!
MikaMiaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-13, 03:52   Link #920
fizzmaister
The Tall One

Quote:
LOL, thanks Rising Dragon, 4Tran, elindir, Deacon Blues, and Kirbyeggs for your replies, seems like there's A LOT to get through!

So, not all the series are connected -- do different characters appear throughout the different series? Does the ensemble cast change from series to series?

I don't really care about being chronological in terms of release dates, but I would like to be able to follow an ensemble cast from its introduction to the end.

But all your info and lists have been very helpful, thanks again!
open this in another tab while reading the following http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Gundam

-------------------
UC: recommend you watch Mobile suit gundam (or the compilations) before anything else if you care about backstory.

from MS Igloo to 0083 Stardust Memories, these are self-contained, but you might be a little lost if you haven't seen the original first.

Zeta, ZZ, and Char's Counter Attack are mostly self contained (in terms of cast) except that Char, Bright and Amuro (from the original) are in all of them (except Char in ZZ). The storyline isn't self contained (especially ZZ since it's an immediate sequel to Zeta) it is continuous from the Original, to Zeta, to ZZ, to CCA.

Unicorn: New cast, but knowing the mythos of Char helps. *edit: there are some returning characters.*

F91 and Victory: both are self-contained.

---------------------
G Gundam: completely self-contained cast and story, however, it's not a good introduction to Gundam because it's so different from what Gundam is.
---------------------
Gundam Wing + Endless Waltz (direct movie sequel): Same cast appears in both installments.
---------------------
Gundam X: passing familiarity with UC is helpful, but not necessary. Story is a what if situation from UC, but the cast is completely self-contained.
---------------------
Turn A: self-contained cast and story, but lots of homages and shoutouts to past series.
---------------------
CE: Seed introduces a new cast and story and seems to resolve it. Seed Destiny (it sucks don't watch it)is a direct sequel, so the previous storyline is somewhat important, a new cast is introduced, but lots of old characters make an appearance, then the old cast comes back, takes over, and the new cast becomes the bad guys (WUT?)
--------------------
AD: Gundam 00 has a self-contained story and cast, however it has a lot of shoutouts to previous series (especially from the UC timeline). You wont really miss anything if you miss these shoutouts, except the final battle has a lot more symbolism if you've seen the original series.
--------------------

a good guide is just look at the wiki template, pick a timeline, and watch it from the beginning.

Last edited by fizzmaister; 2009-06-13 at 10:51. Reason: fixed unicorn
fizzmaister is offline   Reply With Quote