AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2009-11-22, 02:12   Link #61
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunninomori View Post
2012 is a prediction... which is true and not the same as other 'disaster like' movie...the time is near... we need to repent and be prepared to meet our creator...
The movie was only a "Graphic-buff", no solid knowledge at all.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 12:29   Link #62
klowny
OH NO

Finally saw the movie the other day, i thought it was okay movie and the graphics were good and all. I thought the people escaped death too many times and the plot was kinda boring for me.
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 13:04   Link #63
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

What I find the biggest hidden (and probably unintentional irony):

Zero black nations are represented on the surviving countries (it's russia, china, europe, and the US only, basically)... I've heard a lot of people complain that the movie is racist (despite having a black US president and the main scientist guy black... i.e. racist against african nations, not black peopel)
So outside of american black people basically there's no people of color that are saved.
Okay, so that's ironically somewhat realistic given world politics... But then, after it's all over the scientists proclaim that Africa shifted higher than they had thought and never actually flooded, so they head there to start a new civilization...

Except, uh, you know... The Africans are there? So we have ~40,000 white people that survived heading to a giant continent filled with presumably millions and millions of survivors that are black ....

I.e. the white race is doomed to be a tiny minority at the end of the movie, and likely intermix to near extinction shortly.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 14:20   Link #64
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I thing I found particularly unrealistic in the movie was how for the most part cellular communications kept working everywhere, even until the last minute before a region was completely flooded or destroyed. Unless of course they can make satellite phones the size of regular mobile phones in 2012.

But even then, in the Netherlands emergency services have trouble keeping their own specialized emergency network running properly during a mildly sized event or disaster (absolutely tiny compared to the scale of events from the movie). When certain areas in the US were destroyed in the movie, I can image everyone in the whole world who had any friends or relatives there would have wanted to contact them - causing completely communication mayhem.

Also, why would the area the surviving people take refuge to be only in one place? Isn't that like putting all your eggs in one basket (which horrifically can collide hard into each other too - as happened in the movie)? I would have designated a few more sites, so that if one is destroyed at least people from other refuge areas might make it.

And of course the speed of events is waaay to fast. But then again, this movie is from the makers of the The Day After Tomorrow so that shouldn't come as to much of a surprise.

Also, it occurred to me some of the events of this movie are somewhat similar to the movie Nihon Chinbotsu (2006), which I happened to have seen in (a Japanese) cinema. While the events of that movie only apply to Japan, some of it is very similar.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 21:13   Link #65
icab
Moe Moe Kyun~

It was predictable, yet fun.
icab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-24, 00:45   Link #66
AnimeFan188

'2012' Sucks Worse Than the Mayans Could Have Predicted

See:

http://www.cracked.com/article/204_2...ave-predicted/

AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-24, 19:01   Link #67
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

all I gotta say is that

We used to belive the world was flat, how is predicting the end of the world any diffrent from that theory?
Old 2009-11-24, 19:10   Link #68
suiryoku
Urusai! (うるさい
*Graphic Designer

I give the movie a 7/10 for being packed full of action, but having too many cliche moments and a lot of unrealistic near death experiences.
suiryoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-24, 19:23   Link #69
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiryoku View Post
I give the movie a 7/10 for being packed full of action, but having too many cliche moments and a lot of unrealistic near death experiences.
the worse part was the blond chicl flicking the guy the bird 1 second before she would have been smashed.
Old 2009-11-24, 19:33   Link #70
Mi-Roo
Lovable Loli
*Graphic Designer

2012. Worst. Movie. Ever.
I even found myself to be feeling
rather insulted with how they made
the Russian characters come across.
And the blonde woman with the small
dog, having an affair and looking for money,
just after she had breast implants?

Typical and boring.
Spoiler for movie crap:
Mi-Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-24, 21:29   Link #71
Tiberium Wolf

Doesn't seem to be an epic fail to Sony Pictures since the movie is giving them a lot of $.
Old 2009-11-24, 21:36   Link #72
suiryoku
Urusai! (うるさい
*Graphic Designer

^ That's because the movie was perfectly planned around the right time. The movie didn't even need to be advertised and hyped up because the hype was already there thanks to "end of the world" theorists and the mayans.
suiryoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 03:07   Link #73
andrewjose

Just enjoy the movie.Nothing is going to end .We have to live for year and enjoy life on this beautiful earth.It is from the makers of "Day After Tommorow".Good visual effects and better story line.
andrewjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 05:55   Link #74
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi-Roo
Typical and boring.
Just a question, but did you go in there with this expectation? Guess I'm being self-righteous, but I honestly don't get why people who pretty much know they are going to hate it go and watch it anyway, thus fueling the business cycle all over again. Is it some kind of blockbuster factor -- I know I'll hate it, but other people's watching it too kind of thing?

I'd rather give my money to good books, good manga, and good anime. Eh.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 13:01   Link #75
Mi-Roo
Lovable Loli
*Graphic Designer

Iren': I did expect it to be awful. But my sibling begged me to tag along, hence me even going. I told her she isn't allowed to pick the next movie when we go to the cinemas again. :/
Mi-Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 00:29   Link #76
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi-Roo View Post
Iren': I did expect it to be awful. But my sibling begged me to tag along, hence me even going. I told her she isn't allowed to pick the next movie when we go to the cinemas again. :/
Ah, the sibling/family/friend factor. That makes sense.

My sister pretty much knows I'm the weird brother who sticks his nose up and refuses to have anything to do with that stuff though, so I was never really bothered.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-27, 00:35   Link #77
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
It was either about how they narrowly escaped death or how everyone else got killed. It was an alright movie. The popcorn was good, and my headache was bad. It was thanksgiving and I couldn't spend it catching up on series .
Old 2010-04-04, 07:22   Link #78
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Did somebody said 'WORST MOVIE EVER'!? Are you kidding me!? Will this movie be nominated the next Golden Raspberry Awards?

Last edited by Jeffry2009; 2010-04-07 at 01:03.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 02:30   Link #79
chichi13

oh well .. based in the bible.. God will never destroy the world again.. after he destroy sodom and gomora.. He promised
chichi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 05:35   Link #80
master_buten

i have seen this movie, the cinematic effects are good but the story plot itself is quite uber fictional. kinda disturbing also how one might think the days of our lives might end just like that...
master_buten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie