AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-06, 00:46   Link #981
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Actually it just means I look upon it about the same way I do a Famitsu review and the release of a new Dragon Quest game. In other words I know what to expect based on the name alone and don't take any of it at face value or as any sign of the overall quality of the movie so much as I prepare myself to look at the pictures of people going through the motions. When you've been down this road so many times and can predict how it will it go down to a fault you kind of have to remain skeptical. Actually it's on the other side of skeptical in my case, but eh......
... It's remarkable, you are turning into the same kind of person as those who scream "Train Wreck" in Code Geass threads.
Have a nice day.
Old 2010-02-06, 00:59   Link #982
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
And here's the part where we here how it's the greatest movie of all time and right on time to I might add.

Seriously if you're expecting anything less than absolutely stellar reviews from the fanbase of Haruhi in Japan then you are probably better off finding a needle in a haystack amidst a pile of haystacks.
And here's the part where we hear how the hype is overrated, and right on time, too, I might add.

Seriously, if you're expecting anything less than a bucket of cold water from the resident wet blanket, then you are probably better off finding a needle in a haystack amidst a pile of haystacks.
Old 2010-02-06, 01:02   Link #983
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
... It's remarkable, you are turning into the same kind of person as those who scream "Train Wreck" in Code Geass threads. Have a nice day.
You'll note that I wasn't even the first person to mention that the reviews are strictly from the hardcore fans and to be careful about taking them to seriously so if that is indeed the case then you might as well be saying the same thing to a number of people. I wonder if they would take it as well as I do.

Anyway aren't we jumping to conclusions a little here and mixing and matching with completely different and extreme points of view. Especially seeing as how I've yet to actually say anything about this movie that I haven't seen other than that I still don't put much stock in the hardcore fan review, anticipated it's universal positiveness, and expect to have a more casual reaction to it along with a feeling that I got my times worth out of it going by my past history with the franchise. It's like this...you know how when you go on Gamefaqs and a popular game has 10/10 pretty much straight on down the list because the people that wrote it are really diehard fans who are ultimately just there to pontificate about their favourite game rather than to tell the reader what to expect by putting themselves briefly in the shoes of somebody who hasn't played it yet? Same deal basically.

Oh well....I came here for information and the scoop on opening day just the same as anyone else and am actually kind of surprised at how quiet and sober things are.....at least on this front. Guess that's to be expected though since there's an unspecified wait for the Blu-Ray version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
And here's the part where we hear how the hype is overrated, and right on time, too, I might add.

Seriously, if you're expecting anything less than a bucket of cold water from the resident wet blanket, then you are probably better off finding a needle in a haystack amidst a pile of haystacks.
Actually I'm terribly late, but who's keeping track of these things. Anyway one man's wet blanket is another man's second opinion, or in this case fourth or fifth seeing as how I was beaten to the punch on the whole "don't take otaku reviews to seriously" quote on account of my tardiness.
Old 2010-02-06, 01:40   Link #984
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Actually it just means I look upon it about the same way I do a Famitsu review and the release of a new Dragon Quest game. In other words I know what to expect based on the name alone and don't take any of it at face value or as any sign of the overall quality of the movie so much as I prepare myself to look at the pictures of people going through the motions. When you've been down this road so many times and can predict how it will it go down to a fault you kind of have to remain skeptical. Actually it's on the other side of skeptical in my case, but eh......
If I read that correctly, you have already stated yourself to have negative preconceptions, perhaps clouded by your own negative experience with the series thus far:

Quote:
and expect to have a more casual reaction to it along with a feeling that I got my times worth out of it going by my past history with the franchise
At least, that's how I interpret it. I might be wrong, judging by just how fragmented the sentence from which I picked the above quote was.
Old 2010-02-06, 02:48   Link #985
haruhi.ism
haruhi and yuki <3

Send a message via AIM to haruhi.ism

*drools*
Old 2010-02-06, 03:07   Link #986
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

oh dear god...is this yours? if it is....I am extremely jealous of you
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Old 2010-02-06, 05:16   Link #987
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game8910 View Post
oh dear god...is this yours? if it is....I am extremely jealous of you
I'm guessing not, as it says "*drools*" instead of "*gloats*"... ^_^
Old 2010-02-06, 05:27   Link #988
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
If I read that correctly, you have already stated yourself to have negative preconceptions, perhaps clouded by your own negative experience with the series thus far:

At least, that's how I interpret it. I might be wrong, judging by just how fragmented the sentence from which I picked the above quote was.
Let's just say I don't take the series nearly as seriously as some of the fans do with the whole Haruhiism thing and therefore will ultimately do what I always do and see it for myself when it's out. Still sucks that there are some franchises out there that I know will never be able to trust the initial impressions on though.

.....guess I shouldn't mention the drinking game I was supposed to do with some buddies for every time I heard the movie called a masterpiece on opening night....guess I should be glad I didn't actually go through with it....
Old 2010-02-06, 06:13   Link #989
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Let's just say I don't take the series nearly as seriously as some of the fans do with the whole Haruhiism thing and therefore will ultimately do what I always do and see it for myself when it's out. Still sucks that there are some franchises out there that I know will never be able to trust the initial impressions on though.

.....guess I shouldn't mention the drinking game I was supposed to do with some buddies for every time I heard the movie called a masterpiece on opening night....guess I should be glad I didn't actually go through with it....
I see. Well that's the whole nature of fanboyism isn't it? You either get it or you don't. I personally find Haruhiism the best thing since sliced bread, probably because Alt-Yuki embodies everything I like in a girl, and a girl like her is not impossible.

That said, I don't blame the others for calling you a wet blanket. Your comments don't exactly come across as healthy neutral skepticism, especially since today is the release date after all and I'm sure quite a few of them must be been eagerly waiting for first impressions.
Old 2010-02-06, 07:57   Link #990
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
So one more bit of information has been put out there. At the stage greeting, Aya said that the past four years had been leading up to this moment. Of course Sugita had to comment "Are you tired of hearing my voice yet?" after the movie had ended.

Aya pretty much confirms it for me that the movie does have an opening theme. Ladies and Gentlemen, prepare for the return of "Bouken Desho Desho"

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2010-02-06 at 08:08.
Old 2010-02-06, 09:20   Link #991
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

I kinda wish that fan reviews could actually talk more about how the film went, rather than simply rave about it. The praises for the movie are just making me jealous

And on the subject of reviews, let's face it, anyone that's willing to line up for hours to watch a movie will come out reasonably pleased, much less these hardcore fans.

At the very least, this movie's gonna be a huge success in the box-office, which makes me happy for the SOS Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
So one more bit of information has been put out there. At the stage greeting, Aya said that the past four years had been leading up to this moment. Of course Sugita had to comment "Are you tired of hearing my voice yet?" after the movie had ended.
Spoiler for Cast:

Aya pretty much confirms it for me that the movie does have an opening theme. Ladies and Gentlemen, prepare for the return of "Bouken Desho Desho"
Sugita always has to squeeze in humor The cast must have been very touched. Haruhi is now a huge success due largely to the anime.

Interestingly, everyone other than Minorin looks like they have changed so much. I can't recognize any of the second row except for the director and Natsuko (and someone that I think is Minoru, but... I'm not sure). Anyone else spot any familiar faces?
Old 2010-02-06, 09:25   Link #992
Rowan

Figured I might as well throw in my two cents' worth, since I just left the theater.

Ladies and gents, they did it. The entire novel in one sitting, with the same faithfulness as the series. (Actually, I half expect them to break it into twenty minutes chunks and feed that to us for a while, but whatever.) I won't bothe detailing the movie, since all that would be is a rehashing of the book. Some of the scenes do stand out particularly well, though. The first to spring to mind is right after Haruhi's disappearance and Kyon finds Mikuru. Her reaction to his inquiries about her mole are priceless. His final run in with ol' blue hair is likewise well done, but one the other end of the humor/serious scale. There are also some very nice visual elaborations on Kyon's monologue about why he pushed the button on Yuki's escape program.

The opening was the same as the first season, btw. Fun little bit of incidental animation going on, but nothing special in the music department. There's also a hard to get a bearing on stinger after some really bland end credits (black screen w/Haruhi's actress singing solo acapella on a really slow song. YMMV, but I would've expected more from THE MOVIE type of setup this was.)

Also, it seems like they were really obsessed with turning doorknobs. Highest calibur animation in the movie, no joke.

My final walkaway is positive. It's the season of Haruhi they should've made years ago. I know I'll watch it again once it's on DVD.
Old 2010-02-06, 09:26   Link #993
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhi.ism View Post

*drools*
Is that a height comparison chart of the various characters on the right?

I'd very much like to see more of that.
Old 2010-02-06, 09:29   Link #994
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Ladies and gents, they did it. The entire novel in one sitting, with the same faithfulness as the series. (Actually, I half expect them to break it into twenty minutes chunks and feed that to us for a while, but whatever.) I won't bothe detailing the movie, since all that would be is a rehashing of the book. Some of the scenes do stand out particularly well, though. The first to spring to mind is right after Haruhi's disappearance and Kyon finds Mikuru. Her reaction to his inquiries about her mole are priceless. His final run in with ol' blue hair is likewise well done, but one the other end of the humor/serious scale. There are also some very nice visual elaborations on Kyon's monologue about why he pushed the button on Yuki's escape program.
Nice! Being faithful to the book is a good thing, and the visual elaborations I think is just some of the new things added to the novel to make it longer and more exciting.

Quote:
There's also a hard to get a bearing on stinger after some really bland end credits (black screen w/Haruhi's actress singing solo acapella on a really slow song. YMMV, but I would've expected more from THE MOVIE type of setup this was.)
Actually, the singer is Yuki's seiyuu, not Haruhi.
Old 2010-02-06, 09:36   Link #995
Rowan

Huh. Wonder why I didn't catch that. Makes the ending credits more logical, but they still could've done more with 'em.

Still, when your biggest gripe with a movie are the end credits, that's a GOOD thing.

Oh, I almost forgot. They actually put a "thanks to all fans" mssage at the very end, in english, surprisingly enough. Nice touch.
Old 2010-02-06, 09:37   Link #996
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
There's also a hard to get a bearing on stinger after some really bland end credits (black screen w/Haruhi's actress singing solo acapella on a really slow song. YMMV, but I would've expected more from THE MOVIE type of setup this was.)
I that was for the same reason The Beatles (lol, western culture) made The White Album cover the way it was: people were expecting something grand after Sgt. Pepper, so they decided to make TWA cover as simplistic as possible. (western culture go bye bye now)
Old 2010-02-06, 09:40   Link #997
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Huh. Wonder why I didn't catch that. Makes the ending credits more logical, but they still could've done more with 'em.

Still, when your biggest gripe with a movie are the end credits, that's a GOOD thing.

Oh, I almost forgot. They actually put a "thanks to all fans" mssage at the very end, in english, surprisingly enough. Nice touch.
The black screen puzzles me too... But yeah, like you said, it's a good thing nothing else is flawed (in a sense, of course).

Really, really smart of them. English is a pretty common language, and I guess they want to thank the entire Haruhi fanbase around the world, when it eventually comes out on Blu-ray.
Old 2010-02-06, 09:43   Link #998
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Now let's hope Bandai license this up quick so they can show it on theaters here in the U.S. soon.
Old 2010-02-06, 09:45   Link #999
Rowan

Arrow

Guess I just like lots of noise, motion and colors with my endings (or music with singing, anyway). I'm sure there's loads o'fans that'll gobble it up.
Old 2010-02-06, 09:56   Link #1000
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Now let's hope Bandai license this up quick so they can show it on theaters here in the U.S. soon.
I'm quite sure that Bandai has this movie licensed since it was announced given the fact they are releasing the 2009 new episodes on DVD now. Likely we'll be seeing the DVD/BR release about this time next year.

Quote:
Guess I just like lots of noise, motion and colors with my endings (or music with singing, anyway). I'k sure there's loads o'fans that'll gobble it up.

And yep, I am posting fast. It's an hour's train ride home, I need something to keep occupied.
Well, I have a question about the film. Was there anything that wasn't in the Vanishment novel that was in the movie? I assume you've read all of the novels and you understand what specifically I'm asking about. If not, we can take this to the spoiler thread. Also, was there a recap of the series during Bouken Desho, Desho for the fans that hadn't seen the anime?

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Closed Thread

Tags
science fiction, shounen