AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-10-10, 07:23   Link #1
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Japan to Offer Free Airfare to 10,000 Foreigners! (now cancelled)

Source.
The Japan Tourism Agency of the Japanese government is aiming to restore foreign tourism in the wake of the Great Eastern Japan Earthquake (Higashi Nihon Daishinsai) disaster by offering free airfare to 10,000 overseas tourists next year. The agency will mainly accept applications online, and if an applicant's travel plans meet the program's criteria, the agency will sponsor the applicant's round-trip airfare to Japan.

The purpose of the program is to have participants spread the word of their travels online and, by extension, the safety of visiting Japan now. The agency is allocating 1.1 billion yen (about US$14 million) from its requested 2012 budget for the program.

Blogger and television host Danny Choo is informally asking his readers to describe their travel plans via a questionnaire and short responses.

Oh. My. God.

This is so exciting. Your opinion everyone?
Old 2011-10-10, 07:28   Link #2
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

If i ever go to japan it will be when i have enough money to hire a translator.
But then again most signs over ther have english on them dont they?

Anyway thats one way to boost tourism ^^
Old 2011-10-10, 07:37   Link #3
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I am planning to go to Japan the end of next year to catch Kohaku No Gassen 2012/2013 as well as Winter Comiket.

Don't know if SGD$7,000 is enough or not......

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 07:47   Link #4
HasuMasu
*Artist

Mission accepted.

Last edited by HasuMasu; 2011-10-10 at 07:59.
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 08:58   Link #5
Tatsumi Saiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty543 View Post
If i ever go to japan it will be when i have enough money to hire a translator.
But then again most signs over ther have english on them dont they?

Anyway thats one way to boost tourism ^^

I went a few years ago and I don't speak any Japanese. I had no problem getting around on the trains, communicating, shopping, playing with people in the arcades, etc.
Tatsumi Saiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 16:33   Link #6
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

This is the opportunity of a lifetime. I just directly contacted Danny Choo and I'm going to try and get deserving people on here picked for the spots.
Old 2011-10-10, 16:48   Link #7
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I'd love to take part!

Where's the sign up sheet?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 16:53   Link #8
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I'd love to take part!

Where's the sign up sheet?
They haven't put up the application forms yet, but they're just announcing it.

There's a link to the tourism site in a link in the first post, so I'd keep checking back there.
Old 2011-10-10, 16:58   Link #9
Haladflire65
*Artist

I'm definitely wanting to apply for this. I haven't been to Tokyo for a year now and since I'm graduating high school next year, this can be my perfect gift! I'm also trying to convince friends to come with me to Japan but they're concerned about costs and radiation, so... Gah. I absolutely love that country, I have to go! I'll have to keep checking back for registrations!
Old 2011-10-10, 17:24   Link #10
Kyuu
=^^=

By telling everyone - you reduce chances of getting a ticket yourself. XD

But yea. So so many people will sign up for this; therefore, good luck on getting a ticket. If any of you becomes lucky enough to get one - I give you my sincere form of hate and jealousy. LOLOL XD XD XD

Anyways, personally. I'd love to run a road race out in Japan. Anything from 10 kilometers (6 miles) to a full marathon (26 miles).
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 17:27   Link #11
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Makes me think that maybe my chances of getting on JET would be better this year.

Last year I couldn't get through as there were huge numbers of people applying.

But if tourism has been taking a hit, maybe JET applications will be down too...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 17:28   Link #12
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
By telling everyone - you reduce chances of getting a ticket yourself. XD

But yea. So so many people will sign up for this; therefore, good luck on getting a ticket. If any of you becomes lucky enough to get one - I give you my sincere form of hate and jealousy. LOLOL XD XD XD

Anyways, personally. I'd love to run a road race out in Japan. Anything from 10 kilometers (6 miles) to a full marathon (26 miles).
The popular sites will circulate it immediately anyways; anyone who is actually interested will know of it. What I want to try and do is fill those 10,000 spots with people who deserve to go, as opposed to people who just want to take advantage of a free vacation for themselves.

Hopefully my little plan works out.
Old 2011-10-10, 17:29   Link #13
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Makes me think that maybe my chances of getting on JET would be better this year.
South Korea has been more aggressive with ESL. A flight to Japan from there shouldn't be so bad either.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 17:48   Link #14
GDB

Amazing. I figured I wouldn't be able to go to Japan again for another three years due to bills. If I don't have to worry about airfare, I can easily do it next year. Definitely going to apply. Maybe this time I'll be able to actually visit Conan Town.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 18:40   Link #15
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Ah, the anime circles are announcing this eh?
Makes me wonder what kind of people will apply but I will be sending it to my friends/family in hope someone comes over and bloody visits me out here for the first time in my life xD

Here's a story for some peeps going to Japan, figured to stick it in 'travelling in Japan' (maybe it'll get merged) but sticking it here for now.
Trip to Japan finds a nation pampering guests.
(even more than usual, lol)

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 18:57   Link #16
Haladflire65
*Artist

Hmm, are they going to pick people looking at their applications or do you think it would be random? Being picked is going to be freaking amazing. So many reasons for me wanting to go... I'm obsessed with Japan to the extent that people think I'm from there
Old 2011-10-10, 19:08   Link #17
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Ah, the anime circles are announcing this eh?
Makes me wonder what kind of people will apply but I will be sending it to my friends/family in hope someone comes over and bloody visits me out here for the first time in my life xD

Here's a story for some peeps going to Japan, figured to stick it in 'travelling in Japan' (maybe it'll get merged) but sticking it here for now.
Trip to Japan finds a nation pampering guests.
(even more than usual, lol)
This is why I love Asian people overall. Over here we see people as piles of economic backing and basically mere playthings. Of course I only speak in generalities, but I've never had any sorts of disagreements or problems with any Japanese people I've come across. They're all really cool people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Hmm, are they going to pick people looking at their applications or do you think it would be random? Being picked is going to be freaking amazing. So many reasons for me wanting to go... I'm obsessed with Japan to the extent that people think I'm from there
I believe there'd be a few factors relevant. How many places will you go to in Japan? How much do you plan on spending, and how long do you think you'll stay? Remember that in the end, this is to help Japan's tourism industry, so by picking people who will spend the most money, they'll benefit the most. I'm not saying they'll pick everyone in that manner, but it's something to keep in mind.
Old 2011-10-10, 19:10   Link #18
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Hmmmm, I was born in Japan at an air base by the end of the Cold War. So I never got a good chance to experience what it was like there. It would take some extreme luck for me to get picked anyway So I hope for everyone else on AS to get their chances.
Old 2011-10-10, 19:43   Link #19
Kudryavka

Wow, never heard of something like this before. Interesting to see how daring a country can be!

No way I'm going due to circumstances, but good luck to all who decide to try for a spot!
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 19:53   Link #20
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Haven't gotten a chance to peruse the offer but I would definitely be interested in something like this.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel