Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-06, 15:49   Link #1
Rhia
shush! I was only helping

Thumbs up Your story

Hi im not sure if this question has been asked before, but how did you get into anime/manga? I started watching it though this guy i used to know?How about you, i just thought it'd be interesting to here about the different introductions of anime to different people..
BAI BAI!!!
Old 2004-03-06, 15:55   Link #2
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhia
Hi im not sure if this question has been asked before, but how did you get into anime/manga? I started watching it though this guy i used to know?How about you, i just thought it'd be interesting to here about the different introductions of anime to different people..
BAI BAI!!!
When I was just a mere jellyfishling, I stumbled across reruns of Robotech on TV.
Old 2004-03-06, 16:00   Link #3
Rhia

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
When I was just a mere jellyfishling, I stumbled across reruns of Robotech on TV.

cool, was it just common sense to see if they had it on bittorent?
If u get wat i mean...
Old 2004-03-06, 16:38   Link #4
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
My story is pretty similar. I watched Reruns of Speed Racer, then I moved onto Voltron and then finally Robotech.
Old 2004-03-06, 16:42   Link #5
anime-otaku
Lazy Guitarist

Send a message via AIM to anime-otaku Send a message via Yahoo to anime-otaku
Ahhh, the sweet sweet child hood memories, when I wake up early in the morning just to watch Sailormoon.

Now I regret every single second of that, I wish some one would brain wash that part of my past memory and make it seem as if my first anime experience was YU YU HAKUSHO instead. *le sigh*
Old 2004-03-06, 17:07   Link #6
Rhia

My story, i was at a mates, and we were gonna go to a party but then decided not to and we ended going to here mates house and he was watching love hina, and i thought nothing of it, but a few days later over msn i asked for his msn,and then he gave me all the names of anime he watched and at fist i was getting it through kazzaa then i did a google search and found bittorent sites e.g animesuki.. and after about a YEAR i realised there was a forum.. DUHHH i should have known, and then i met all you "anime-ites" and the worl of anime opened up even more for me...
Old 2004-03-06, 17:31   Link #7
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Well, I always watched cartoons as a child and a good portion of those cartoons were anime. One of the first cartoons that I've been a fan of was Candy Candy.. When I was about 5 years old. I rented all of them at the video store.. I always prefered anime to other cartoons because of the drawings and just the type of stories they had in anime. The anime stories weren't sugar coated and there was sometimes drama even if the characters were animals.. The cartoons were sometimes very moralistic. x.x; And very sugar coated, which made them sometimes boring.. But I liked colorful 80's cartoons like Rainbow Brite and Strawberry Shortcake. Many anime series were like that, which I liked. .. Basically, anime influenced my childhood a lot. I could tell anime or European-Japanese cooperation cartoons apart from other cartoons, too. But I never really knew what the world of anime was about..

At some point, they started showing less anime series on TV here. I guess that's when I was about 9 or 10 years old.. That's when I found out about Sailor Moon. [ Yes the classic ^^;; ] I was really fascinated by Sailor Moon for some reason.. But I couldn't understand English very well, so I didn't watch it very often. That's when I found out that there was a lot of manga, including Sailor Moon on sale.. I was a bit scared to buy manga because everyone was talking about how perverted and violent manga was.. And I didn't want to get punished. x.x;; But I got my first Sailor moon manga when I was 10. I became a huge fan.. I remember I collected cards, posters and everything I could find. I still have everything. ^^ I'm still a big fan of Sailor Moon.

The second manga series I discovered when I was 11 was Ranma. That's the series that really got me into anime. I started reading a lot about anime online and finding out about new anime series, and I started to collect more series and rent anime at the video store. I remember I had found a special video store where they had many anime.. I rented Devil Hunter Yohko, Nuku Nuku, Project Ako, and all those "old" classic series. ^^; Later on, when I was about 13, I started to download anime online which let me watch a lot of unliscenced series. I learned about BitTorrent only very recently.. Last year to be honest. AnimeSuki has really helped me find out about a lot of anime series that were released. Now I can watch anime when it's released.
Old 2004-03-06, 17:34   Link #8
Rhia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurara
Well, I always watched cartoons as a child and a good portion of those cartoons were anime. One of the first cartoons that I've been a fan of was Candy Candy.. When I was about 5 years old. I rented all of them at the video store.. I always prefered anime to other cartoons because of the drawings and just the type of stories they had in anime. The anime stories weren't sugar coated and there was sometimes drama even if the characters were animals.. The cartoons were sometimes very moralistic. x.x; And very sugar coated, which made them sometimes boring.. But I liked colorful 80's cartoons like Rainbow Brite and Strawberry Shortcake. Many anime series were like that, which I liked. .. Basically, anime influenced my childhood a lot. I could tell anime or European-Japanese cooperation cartoons apart from other cartoons, too. But I never really knew what the world of anime was about..

At some point, they started showing less anime series on TV here. I guess that's when I was about 9 or 10 years old.. That's when I found out about Sailor Moon. [ Yes the classic ^^;; ] I was really fascinated by Sailor Moon for some reason.. But I couldn't understand English very well, so I didn't watch it very often. That's when I found out that there was a lot of manga, including Sailor Moon on sale.. I was a bit scared to buy manga because everyone was talking about how perverted and violent manga was.. And I didn't want to get punished. x.x;; But I got my first Sailor moon manga when I was 10. I became a huge fan.. I remember I collected cards, posters and everything I could find. I still have everything. ^^ I'm still a big fan of Sailor Moon.

The second manga series I discovered when I was 11 was Ranma. That's the series that really got me into anime. I started reading a lot about anime online and finding out about new anime series, and I started to collect more series and rent anime at the video store and .. Later on, downloading anime too.

Kool, do u live in the usa, japan? where, cos u say they were on sale and over here in the uk i can neva find and anime on sale except things like pokemon or yu-gi-oh..
Old 2004-03-06, 17:37   Link #9
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhia
Kool, do u live in the usa, japan? where, cos u say they were on sale and over here in the uk i can neva find and anime on sale except things like pokemon or yu-gi-oh..
I live in Canada.. Where I live, there's manga in most book stores where you can find comic books. ^^;; I guess that helped a lot.. I don't know why, but some video stores here have anime tapes on display. [ mainly very old series now though ]

I always thought you could buy anime tapes really easily in USA, though.. It's a bit harder here..
Old 2004-03-06, 17:39   Link #10
Rhia

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurara
I live in Canada.. Where I live, there's manga in most book stores where you can find comic books. ^^;; I guess that helped a lot.. I don't know why, but some video stores here have anime tapes on display. [ mainly very old series now though ]

I always thought you could buy anime tapes really easily in USA, though.. It's a bit harder here..
Cool, in the uk u dont find much..
well any one else got stories to tel???
Old 2004-03-06, 17:51   Link #11
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

Send a message via ICQ to AkihaTohno Send a message via AIM to AkihaTohno
I just watched Sailor Moon when I was kid. When I found the invention of the internet, I searched up more Sailor Moon stuff and slowly the web sites would link to other series and whatnot so I just found out of other ones.
Old 2004-03-06, 20:46   Link #12
Evan
天使我爱你

wow......long time........
I think I get to know anime and manga through school mates 14 yrs ago....
Old 2004-03-06, 21:14   Link #13
SoulDrinker
wandering soul

Send a message via MSN to SoulDrinker
childhood memories, there was dragon ball then tekno man and the first movie was ghost in the shell
Old 2004-03-06, 22:21   Link #14
cheez
duh?

Send a message via ICQ to cheez Send a message via AIM to cheez
My introduction to anime was an extreme matter of chance... reflecting back, it could have easily happened differently.

About, oh, three years ago, I was working at Borders Books & Music. I was in the back storeroom picking up a stack of books to take out into the sales area, and I just happened to glance at the comics shelf. A manga caught my eye, and I picked it up and leafed through it just out of curiosity. It was Ranma, volume 7 (yeah, I still remember that =D) and I thought it looked kinda cool. Then I hit a page with nudity, heh (not full monty, but visible boobs... if you've seen Ranma, you know what I mean). I was like... "Woah, can they do that? Is that allowed?"

So I bought a couple of the mangas and really liked them, then I went home and started researching on the internet. Happened to have a friend who loved Kenshin and he referred me to hotline, where I was able to actually start watching anime. And I looked upon it and saw that it was good.
Old 2004-03-07, 02:09   Link #15
Forklift
150 gigs and losing count

Send a message via AIM to Forklift
I watched the series like Robotech , Speed Racer, and Voltron without realizing they were anime or japanese made. One day I was at a "Super Sale" they hold at the SuperDome every now and then. I was working it for the car audio shop I was working for. I got to take a few breaks and walked around. I was into comics years before and saw a comic shop and stopped in. I saw a tape of Robotech , Dirty pair, the Professional, Project AKO, and decided to buy them. I also saw a few more like Ghost in the Shell and Vampire Hunter D but they were too much for my humble pocketbook. I liked Robotech of course and AKO and Dirty Pair were ok, and The Professional really caught my eye. So I decided to start looking around. I found some at the local video store, rented and copied them, even bought a few. I got Ghost, Akira , and Ninja Scroll and rented and copied around 70-80 tapes.

I still have them all and now I have the first 18 Robotechs on DVD as well as Princess Monoke. I also have a few gigs of AMVs as well as around 90 gigs of anime right now(not including DB). Im about to get another HDD so I can keep the stuff on here and share it when I want to
Old 2004-03-07, 04:37   Link #16
Wandering A.I.
エッチだ! しかたない

An early copy of mine used to spend large amounts of processing time killing people in an online world for personal edification, but certain complications arose. Consequently I'm currently performing an analysis of character flaws exhibited by the entities generally definable as "anime heroes" in order to improve the success rates for certain future experiments.
Old 2004-03-07, 04:40   Link #17
Griffith

Well, it started off with Speed Racer, though I wasn't aware it was anime at the time. Eventually when Pokemon and Dragonball Z started airing, some of my friends were into them so I started watching too and loved it. I watched all the series Cartoon Network aired then eventually got into fansubs... and here I am now.
Old 2004-03-07, 05:31   Link #18
Blue*Dragon

ahh the your story thread. Well like you see under my signature my storys goes about some ninja's kids. I came on this idea when naruto came. My story isn't in an ninja world but it goes about an couple jong ninja who meet each other and go to fight against the badguys. I am going to publice fully my story when it is finished and that wont happend an long time.
Old 2004-03-07, 06:00   Link #19
Rhia

Thumbs up do you ever see.?

Kewlio, it seems most of the people here found out about anime in very simular ways..
Do you ever see your self growing out of anime?
Old 2004-03-07, 07:24   Link #20
Blue*Dragon

growing out the anime no way, And I hope my story will be published one day for an anime tv serie maker. But about 1,5 year Iam on the Drawing Grapich school (lycseum) maby I can make my own comic after I finished the school 4 years later
Closed Thread