AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-06-11, 04:36   Link #21
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

I have very broad musical tastes, which basically covers every major genre. While as a whole, I dislike grunge/rap type stuff with indecipherable or utterly pointless lyrics, I do have some tracks that fall in to those genres, so I can't bag them as a whole.

That said, two thirds of my music collection is 'instrumental' (classical, electronica and OST type stuff) with no lyrics at all. But I have also have over two hundred everyday 'chart' type albums, too. (granted, mostly from the 70's-90s, not much from the 00s other than anime OSTs.) Those albums, as I said, span every genre from folk, to rock, to metal (if you can still call Iron Maiden and Van Halen metal =p) to world, pop and yes, even some rap (have two Eminem tracks! gasp.) dance/trance/techno and various other electronica of hotly debated sub-genres.

I grew up in a very music-friendly family. My father used to be in a pub band, and then later worked in the rock industry for many years (working with numerous international acts as well as countless local ones) and my mother always encouraged my brother and I to play, and listen to music of all sorts. That's probably largely responsible for my very eclectic tastes. ^^;

Personally I can never understand how some people can seriously only be in to just one or two genres, and be die-hard fans of just that, bagging out anything else. I listen to any music that takes my fancy, doesn't matter who made it or what genre it's categorised as. Though, I think my above mentioned collection makes it quite clear I value *music* over anything else. Well composed tracks with a good balance of instruments (or exceptional use of a single or small amount of them) and some tracks that just don't benefit from lyrics at all while some really would when they don't have them.

Going off on a brief tangent on that note, I really like some of System of a Down's music, but the lyrics ruin it (though some of their lyrics are hilarious) -- the musical tracks tend to be very well made, and if I could get lyricless versions I'd be in heaven. ^^; Some other artists I could put in to that category, but they're an example many people should at least know the name of.

Anyway, xris said not to post lists so I'm not going to get in to more specific artist talk and such. I'll just say that in recent years I've utterly fallen in love with the work of some prominent anime musical directors/composers, thus anime OSTs now make up a good half of my total music collection. Actually, I think over half now. ^^; But, it doesn't stop me listening to all sorts of other stuff still.

I'd just have to throw out this small piece of advice: Don't limit yourself. Try other music, branch out from your comfort zone. There's so, so much music out there that many people seem totally oblivious to. That makes me a sad panda.

With the amount of internet radio stations around these days (I run my own for friends from time to time, even.) it's easy to at least sample other music, without committing to buying it or breaking the law with illegal downloads. Easier than ever before. But, I'll shush now. Ranting a bit. ^^;;
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 05:32   Link #22
Tatsumiko
*Artist

Woah...Asai-chan your sure took some effort in typing

I like whatever fits my mood or has a special something ^^
but of course I mostly listen to Enya like songs.
Tatsumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 07:15   Link #23
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Anything!!~~ As long as it sounds good then it's all fair game.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 10:11   Link #24
Vanta
[Trance Addicted~]

Send a message via MSN to Vanta
Thanks for what you've done, xris.

Glad to see some users do this quite good, and share their preferences to other's opinion! That's very interessant!

I'll read the posts in details later 'cause I have some very, very important exams this week.

The thread goes on!
Vanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 10:38   Link #25
genryou
The ______ maker
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to genryou
its kinda hard to tell since i just listen to any song that suite my taste, despite their style...

but i must say that i kinda fond of listening to the song that use piano as an instrument...

such song is likely to be found in band like Muse, Maroon 5, and a singer
like Younha....
genryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 11:31   Link #26
arcadeplayer987

Pop
Rock
Classic
And I don't like at all Hip-Hop too.
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 11:49   Link #27
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I like pretty much anything other than Gangsta Rap and Screamo and whatever Linkin Park, System of A Down and similar sounding bands are classified as, but some favourites are Classical, Swing, Jazz, Classic Rock, Techno, Trance, Hair Metal, 80's Pop, Speed Metal and Opera. I'm really big on percussive sounds in music so anything that prominently features drums I will like as well (Explaining why I like Red Flag from Billy Talent, but not the rest of their music).
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 12:03   Link #28
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asai View Post
Personally I can never understand how some people can seriously only be in to just one or two genres, and be die-hard fans of just that, bagging out anything else. I listen to any music that takes my fancy, doesn't matter who made it or what genre it's categorised as. Though, I think my above mentioned collection makes it quite clear I value *music* over anything else. Well composed tracks with a good balance of instruments (or exceptional use of a single or small amount of them) and some tracks that just don't benefit from lyrics at all while some really would when they don't have them.
Exactly my opinion. I'll never understand people who don't listen to some good music only because it's genre X. Is it really that hard to appreciate something really good that's just a bit different from what one is used to? That said, there seem to be quite a few people who can't stand hip-hop for some reason, also in this thread. Personally I blame it on the media, since (almost) all hip-hop on TV / radio IS crap, no doubt about it. Then again, the same goes for any other genre...

Personally I'll listen to anything, genre-wise. You can find some good artists in every musical style imaginable. I won't even start listing artists/bands, it would take too long if I wanted to mention everyone who deserves it.
Old 2007-06-11, 17:40   Link #29
negativeone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
Exactly my opinion. I'll never understand people who don't listen to some good music only because it's genre X. Is it really that hard to appreciate something really good that's just a bit different from what one is used to? That said, there seem to be quite a few people who can't stand hip-hop for some reason, also in this thread. Personally I blame it on the media, since (almost) all hip-hop on TV / radio IS crap, no doubt about it. Then again, the same goes for any other genre...
Yes, i also blame the media. There are so many overated crappy musicians/bands; in my opinion now days most of hip-hop genre in overated, however hip-hop used to have a meaning. When hip-hop first started it was a cultural movement for the black community to communicate there thougths about racism and their hardships in their lives(at least that's what i think). But now days most of the hip-hop genre is just meaningless lyrics(but then again most of the stuff i listen too has no lyrics) and fashion. But like you said the same goes for every genre. however i do listen to some rap, well that is if you consider Gorillazrap.

Anyways, putting that aside most of the stuff i listen to, has no lyrics(lol) i mostly listen to electronica music(jut too put it in one single term) genres such as:

Psychedelic Trance:r(one of the greates bands in earth, i love theri music, it's so bizarre and distorted is just indescrbable), /Shpongle, Hallucinogen and Alien Project are some of the Djs i listen to.

Chill Out: well right now i can only think of Hiroshi Watanabe he is the guy who made the song "Get it by your hands" which in the Eureka Seven OST, Kagami is also featured in Eureka Seven but i don't think his music is considered "Chill out",it migth fall into the Eurodance category

Electroclash: electrosexual, Benni Benassi i'm not really into electroclash music, but i do own a few records

Trance: everyone knows who Tiesto(adiago for strings is one of my favorites) and Paul van Dyk(i can listen to all "Nothing but You" remixes all day long with out getting tired of it) are.

Drum n' Bass or also known as jungle: most of the drum n' base tracks i listen to are remixes from random Djs, however here are some well known DjsAphrodite and Baron( Baron's "Drive by Drive in" is one of my favorites)

I also like rock(this includes everything labeled under rock alternative, indie, hardrock hardcore, rocktornica, New Wave, math rock, orchestral rock etc...)

Battles they give music a whole new different meaning

Tortoise if you like indie music Tortoise is for you, their music is just genius.

Radiohead this is one of my favorite bands, their music is always evolving from rock(Pablo Honey) to electronic(most noted in their later work) and they are known because of their song "Creep"(which i dont think is really that good). also the ending theme of Ergo Proxy is one of their songs "Paranoid Android".

Coldplay some people hat them but IMO is a pretty good band.

Beck this is not the anime Beck Mongolian Chop Sqaud is the real Beck. his work is really amazing, kindda like Gorillaz but better.

System Of A Down this is the only Metal band i like, some oftheir lyrics are just messed up like WTF messed up(but good anyways), but others are meaningful and smart unlike most heavy metal bands (except for metallica who used to be good but meh)

The Arcade Fire and Animal Collective they are both pretty similar, both indie bands, but i like Arcade fire better animal collective is good but sometimes is just sound like some kid is playing with a frying pan and a stick.

Blonde Redhead pop/rock band their sound is diffirent from others because of the vocals which create this unique sound

Who does not likeThe Knack My Sharona has to be one of the greatest songs ever(well the only song i like is My Sharona their other stuff is ok i guess)

Queen they defined Progressive rock, a really good band too bad they were gay (lol)......(damn that made sound like an asshole)

The Beatles some people think that they are the greatest band in history too bad that John Lennon is dead

Some New Wave bands i likeDuran Duran ("Girls on Films" i sthe OP theme of Speed Grapher), Tears for Fears(" Mad World" is the theme song for Gears of War) and Depeche Mode.

Franz Ferdinandi love their music and "Do you want to" is the ED theme of Paradise Kiss(by the way is paradise kiss any good?)

Underoath Christian Hardcore Screamo band fuck yea!!!, Billy Talent the only punk band i like, actually My Chemical Romance are pretty good.

PS. I was bored and i had nothing better than do(lol), anyways i migth add links to full songs rather than just previews that is if i have time i gotta study for my final exams(damn i hate final exams)

Last edited by negativeone; 2007-06-11 at 18:10.
negativeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 22:01   Link #30
Theowne
耳をすませば

The main kind of music I listen to is classical. I listen to all sorts of classical music and love learning about it, playing it myself, hearing different interpretations. I also like some film scores, anime scores, etc. Occasionally I will find music in different random genres that I like, such as J-Pop, Celtic, New Age or even rock music. I don't actively listen to these genres, but good music is good music.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 22:08   Link #31
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Well i listen to :
Alternative
Classic Rock
Classic
J-Rock/J-Pop (read : anime OSTs)

Actually i really love it when sound of distorted guitar combined with violins/cellos...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 01:25   Link #32
SilentKnight
Yukio Sumadera Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post

Personally I'll listen to anything, genre-wise. You can find some good artists in every musical style imaginable. I won't even start listing artists/bands, it would take too long if I wanted to mention everyone who deserves it.
If anyone is skeptical about rap music and is willing to open up their ears for a bit, I'm more than happy to provide some quality hip hop upon request.

Just tell me what kind of bands you listen to at the moment, the type of things you look for in a song, and whatnot.
Old 2007-06-12, 20:47   Link #33
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by furuno View Post
Actually i really love it when sound of distorted guitar combined with violins/cellos...

The Witch Hunter Robin OST does a good job of pulling that off.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 21:25   Link #34
Korean_boi
BBOY

Send a message via AIM to Korean_boi
anything except country really. Rap, R&B,Classical, Trance, Hip-Hop, K-Pop,J-Pop.

Trae, MC Sniper, DJ Tiesto, DJ Screw, Bach, Clazziquai, Kim Jong Gook, Stevie Wonder, Mr. Room9, Vivaldi, John Legend, Francois Devienne, Francois Bourne, MC Mong, Outsider, Yuri ect.

everything is mixed up!!!

try to guess which one is which :P
Korean_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 21:45   Link #35
I Light I
I Light I= Vampyre= Love

Send a message via AIM to I Light I Send a message via MSN to I Light I
For me i usually lean more towards the Screamo Hardcore stuff. A few examples of mine are All That Remains. Underoath. Marilyn Manson. And Alot Of Others

Sometimes i can be in the mood for some lighter screamo like The Used and other stuff like that but im more into the hardcore stuff.

I like to basically sit in between genres like techno and some hip hop rarley and of these i still am favorting Screamo Hardcore but yeah....

I really believe that in my music that i listen to ex:Screamo Hardcore lol :P it has alot more meaning than other songs do. You just have to have the ability to understand them or not be to lazy to look up the lyrics lol. Its also good to listen to what expresses your character in you. Screamo is usually stereotyped by everyone as the music of rebellious teenages who want to get anger out or some shit like that lol.<sorry i hope swearing is allright if its not ill stop but yeah> but it has alot more meaning to it and if were rebellious, Adults, its because you try to control our lives. you need to guide us but let us be free to do what we want and not treat us like were fin 6. I understand the whole punishment thing if we do something were not supposed to but dont limit us to what we can and cant try for ourselves. Anyways the story of my music is like any others. A way to express yourself. I feel that the screaming and singing is putting more emotion into it. It also fires me up. See if you were to look at me I dont look like anything that i am. I wear sk8 brands snowboard brands punk styles but i dont look like a computer geek and video game dork like i am and i definitley dont look strong like i am or a varsity running back for football or a athletic sports player for any sport for that matter.<yeah long typing hope you all understand what im trying to say
I Light I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-13, 05:45   Link #36
Reno

Send a message via MSN to Reno
Hmm.... I mostly like seventies progressive music, or songs with deep meanings or emotional lyrics... or songs that just generally sound beautiful. My favourite bands are Genesis, Pink FLoyd and Mew.

Examples of beautiful songs and songs with emotional lyrics and deep meanings I love:

Pink FLoyd: Wish you Were Here, High Hopes, Breathe, Coming back to Life, erm the whole of The Wall.

Genesis: No Son of Mine, Driving the Last Spike, Carpet Crawlers, Hairless Heart, Ripples.

Mew: Comforting Sounds, White Lips Kissed, Apocalypso, The Zoo Keepers boy.

Last edited by Reno; 2007-06-13 at 09:57.
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-13, 12:01   Link #37
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

I listen to a few different genres, but mostly electronic.
My favorite are alternative or pop tracks remixed to perfection.

Dragonette is my new favorite(Midnight Juggernauts remix)

I usually don't like anime soundtracks though, the only one I regularly go back to is the hellsing one (no surprise there ... it's so different)

R&B and Country I don't listen to. Not because I'm a music snob ... I just don't want to sort through a bunch of music I hate to get that one track that is good. If it's that good it'll find itself to me. I have plenty of good music that I don't have the time for as is. (There are plenty of electronic genres I don't listen to either).
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-13, 13:17   Link #38
KeybladeMaster
PaniPoni Member

i hear soundtracks: kingdom hearts, final fantasy, paniponidash
Old 2007-06-15, 04:56   Link #39
Lebron
I hear voices

Pretty much anything(well the main genres) outside of Country. All depends on what mood I'm in. One day I may be listening to Justin Timberlake, then the following day I'll be listening to Disturbed. Go figure :P
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-17, 07:22   Link #40
Vanta
[Trance Addicted~]

Send a message via MSN to Vanta
And besides the styles you like the most, do you have a style that brings you in another world, far away from your place?
For example when I'm listening to Trance music, I feel like lost in my room, something weird's happenin, it's SO beautiful! .

You to talk!
Vanta is offline   Reply With Quote