AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

Old 2009-04-12, 21:23   Link #241
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Why was she trying to toss a coin into the fountain? Any idiot should have known that it was impossible to do from the gate.
Well, she was "I've come all this way, it's different to what I expected but might as well go through the motions at least".

I rather looking forwards to finding out more about Saki's personality. At 22, she does feel more mature than your average female anime lead, but so far I can't quite get a fix on her (not complaining at all - had enough of characters who I can easily predict just from their character design).

Quote:
That missile attack (Careless Monday) is part of the premise for the series.
Er, unless I'm getting confused, "Careless Monday" was 3 months ago within the story setting (November 2010 - it's now Feb 2011). The TV text scrawl is speculating about a "another" Careless Monday.

PS One fan-sub I saw said that "johnny is a ghetto word for identification" - hence we have a joke about Akira dropping his pants instead
Old 2009-04-12, 21:25   Link #242
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
PS One fan-sub I saw said that "johnny is a ghetto word for identification" - hence we have a joke about Akira dropping his pants instead
That makes more sense. XD
Old 2009-04-12, 21:28   Link #243
Azure_Peregrine
Film Student

Send a message via AIM to Azure_Peregrine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocaPik View Post
But I don't get where this stuff with Cain and Abel will lead us if Akira represents Adam and Saki, Eve.
Well, my thought here is that, if the allusion of twelve apostles is correct, then each character is not limited to a single representation. While Akira certainly represents Adam in many ways, it seems clear he also has somethin' to do with the apostles. If Akira were number 12, it would cement my theory completely that he killed an important member of the organization entirely, but given the quotes from Julius Caesar and the "East" references, I think that it's fairly plausible to assume that he killed someone important in the organization anyway. So, if we take the multiple characters we think he represents and combine the things their best known for, we get someone who killed an important relative and was cast aside for doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thors View Post
You've made a nice analysis, Azure_Peregrine, but, in my opinion, you should add another element to it, the quotation from Julius Caesar by Shakespeare :

This quotation is completly in connection with this one "Noblesse oblige". "Noblesse oblige" seem to be a justification for this separation of remorse and power, that is to say, "we are nobles so we act like nobles and we let you starving etc.".

Consequently, a Brutus will appear to end with that !

The story takes place in a world without king (according to the first sec). Nevertheless, there is a "prince", Akira. What can we conclude ? That the "prince" will rise up against a "king" (nonexistent ><), as Brutus did ?

I think the "without king" must be understood on this way : in our world, contrary to the roman empire of Caesar, the power is not in the hands of an only person.

Akira would be a new Brutus in this world ? Bringing hope (a frequent word in the OP) that he will change the world. In that way, he also seems a Jesus seen by jews as a fierce warior able to struggle against romans.
Ya know what, first off, thanks, I hadn't gotten that the quote was from Julius Caesar beforehand, I'd been thinking it was from someplace else. The existence of a Brutus is certainly a fine addition to the ideas in this show.

I understand the quote somewhat differently, though - I think the organization isn't saying screw the people let them go hungry, I'm now thinking that they believe that people in power have abused their greatness, and so they intend to bring them down - once that happens, they'll be the ones in power, and thus they keep the "noblesse oblige" around to remind them not to become like the cesspool they're trying to remove. Hell, this organization in and of itself might be a Brutus to the world.
Azure_Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 21:52   Link #244
Calca
Expressionless

In this kind of anime, I think speculation or wanting to figure something out is not something that can be done after the 1st episode.

We get more clues what this series is about during the OP than we do during the actual episode.

That being said, this is the first time in awhile that the first episode of a series has made me so eager to find out what will happen next.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 22:05   Link #245
Elvanvitar

Wow this anime is pretty detailed. Even had the cab driver with a washington nationals hat on.
Elvanvitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 22:07   Link #246
Azure_Peregrine
Film Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetor View Post
In this kind of anime, I think speculation or wanting to figure something out is not something that can be done after the 1st episode.

We get more clues what this series is about during the OP than we do during the actual episode.

That being said, this is the first time in awhile that the first episode of a series has made me so eager to find out what will happen next.
...Yeah, I understand that, I'm just too eager for the next episode to come out, so I'm tryin' to piece together stuff. It's prob'ly all wrong. But if I'm right, I get to claim to be awesome, so yeah.
Old 2009-04-12, 22:20   Link #247
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvanvitar View Post
Wow this anime is pretty detailed. Even had the cab driver with a washington nationals hat on.
He must be one of the 34 fans of that team
Old 2009-04-13, 00:21   Link #248
Orenji-kun
Yorozuya

Does anybody know the name of the song the first cab driver was listening to in episode 1? I tried Googling parts of the lyrics with no luck.
Orenji-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 02:00   Link #249
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
Animation Program and Movie Average Television Household Audience Ratings in the Kantou Region of Japan (Tokyo, Yokohama, Kawasaki, Saitama, Chiba, etc.)

*4.8% (--.-%) 04/09 (Thu) 24:45-25:15 Fuji TV Higashi no Eden (Eden of the East) (New)

That's Noitamina doing good. Recent shows like Genji and Antique Bakery weren't able to hit these numbers (Nodame Paris Chapter was, though). Then again, the timeslot's popularity does stem from a Umino Chika show, the character design might really play a part here. I also reckon this has the potential to have very satisfying DVD sales, but I'm clearly just taking wild guesses (and being hopeful, too).

The character design isn't the element I like the most in the show, but there's so much more to love. Everything looked fantastic (most particularly the backgrounds, which looked like so much effort was put into them), Hayami Saori was fantastic, the story moved in a direction that did not bore me once. Any of my expectations have been far surpassed.
Katapan, does that mean Antique and Genji didn't do "good"? With how strict programmers are these days if there was a weak link I thought the whole block would be cut by now.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 02:23   Link #250
maxpepper

Nice OP but I totally fell in love with the ED.

I enjoyed the 1st ep very much. That morita senpai is such a likeable person, I wish him well.

Defenitely will be following this one
maxpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 07:19   Link #251
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Katapan, does that mean Antique and Genji didn't do "good"? With how strict programmers are these days if there was a weak link I thought the whole block would be cut by now.
I haven't seen figures for Genji, but Katapan's excellent summary posting shows Antique Bakery averaged about a 3.5 rating, which is about twice what most shows garner. Some episodes of Nodame Paris-Hen broke six, but that's become a pretty successful franchise at this point.

On another subject, while I guess it's "cute" to keep referring to Akira as "Morita," it is confusing for those who us who never watched that show. Can't we just stick to using the characters' real names?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 07:20   Link #252
typhonsentra

"I need to see your Johnny."

I can't tell you how bad I cringed when this line popped up. No Japanese people, a black police officer (One who before this, spoke perfect English) would not be so stupid as to ask non-native speakers to see their "Johnny's" rather than "I.D.'s". Random, obscure slang thrown into conversation, it felt like something my mom would do. I know it was a set-up for an obvious joke but still... And the dialogue through the whole episode (Whether Japanese or English) was very stilted, I dunno if I'm going to continue with this show or not. How long is it going to be?
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 07:31   Link #253
vandakiara
time waits for no one <3
*Graphic Designer

11 episodes I think...

Believing oneself to be perfect is...
often the sign of a delusional mind
vandakiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 10:22   Link #254
Calca
Expressionless

Well some things you can see from the OP. Some of this may have been mentioned:

Akira is Selecao IX

Selecao IX and IV had some sort of interaction. IV may have been killed by IX as seen when the symbol disappears.

The Selecao System is consisted of 12 people selected in Japan. The word game then pops up after this which means it may be a survival of the fittest or a game for whoever is controlling this.

The Selecao's seem to interact in pairs.

Selecao I seems to have an interaction with nearly all the Selecaos.
Old 2009-04-13, 11:14   Link #255
ChocaPik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure_Peregrine View Post
Well, my thought here is that, if the allusion of twelve apostles is correct, then each character is not limited to a single representation. While Akira certainly represents Adam in many ways, it seems clear he also has somethin' to do with the apostles. If Akira were number 12, it would cement my theory completely that he killed an important member of the organization entirely, but given the quotes from Julius Caesar and the "East" references, I think that it's fairly plausible to assume that he killed someone important in the organization anyway. So, if we take the multiple characters we think he represents and combine the things their best known for, we get someone who killed an important relative and was cast aside for doing so.
If Akira is number 12 it also means he is Juda...
But if we take it in the other way, then maybe number one, who seems to have an interaction with every one as Streetor said, can be considered as Judas.

And for Juiz it means a Judge in portuguese.
Searching for it I found something : "Livro dos Juizes" which is something form the old testament which go from the conquest of Canaa to the establishment of the first king. And there we have again the first Juiz who is Otniel from the Juda's kin [you know all the apostles where supposed to embody one of the twelve kin of Israel...]. But here we go in something really complicated.
So in fact maybe now it's the time of the judges, and after there is the time of the kings.

Last edited by ChocaPik; 2009-04-13 at 11:25.
ChocaPik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 11:33   Link #256
Azure_Peregrine
Film Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetor View Post
Well some things you can see from the OP. Some of this may have been mentioned:

Akira is Selecao IX

Selecao IX and IV had some sort of interaction. IV may have been killed by IX as seen when the symbol disappears.

The Selecao System is consisted of 12 people selected in Japan. The word game then pops up after this which means it may be a survival of the fittest or a game for whoever is controlling this.

The Selecao's seem to interact in pairs.

Selecao I seems to have an interaction with nearly all the Selecaos.
Okay, thanks for that. Though I'm not sure about the Selecao system people operating in pairs, the information about IV possibly being killed is interesting... Also, note that V fades out after being connected with I, just like IV faded out after being connected with IX.

The fourth apostle was John. He is the brother of James, though not James the Less (there are two James' who are apostles). What this means? Well, I mentioned before that it's possible that Akira killed a member of the organization, and I theorized that he would have killed the Jesus figure, but thought that him being a 13th number, Judas, would have better cemented that theory. However, if we think Akira represents James the Less, but John's brother James is, obviously, John's brother... Then, well, perhaps we can assume Akira was related to number IV and decided not to be his brother's keeper. Or perhaps Akira was framed by another one of the people selected in the Selecao system.

Oddly enough, of all the apostles, John is the only one to have died a natural death, apparently. Don't know how that fits in. Phillip was the fifth apostle, the one that fades out after being connected to I. The first apostle is Peter, and I think we can assume he's the leader of those selected by the Selecao System. I'm not sure why I would have killed V, given the information provided.

As for the game... Well, I suppose the people chosen by the Selecao system could be given orders to kill eachother as a sort of game, but I really hope not. This might be some sort of "game," but I still think they're seriously terrorists.

So I just watched the preview to see what I could gain from that, and the selecao system apparently has a set range to participate in, whatever that means.

Spoiler:

The trailer also states that this story takes place over 11 days. According to the old testament, it SHOULD have taken the Jews 11 days to reach the promised land from Mt. Sinai, where they got the ten commandments. So... it takes 11 days to reach the promised land in theory, Eden of the East... Wonder where they'll be when the last episode airs, but it looks like each episode may contain a single day.
Old 2009-04-13, 11:59   Link #257
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I haven't seen figures for Genji, but Katapan's excellent summary posting shows Antique Bakery averaged about a 3.5 rating, which is about twice what most shows garner. Some episodes of Nodame Paris-Hen broke six, but that's become a pretty successful franchise at this point.

On another subject, while I guess it's "cute" to keep referring to Akira as "Morita," it is confusing for those who us who never watched that show. Can't we just stick to using the characters' real names?
Genji snuck into the top ten with a 4.2 one week, but was closer to 3.0 in other weeks. Top ten is extremely unusual for a late-night anime, except for NANA and Noitamina. But NANA and Nodame went above 5.0.

As you know, the top ten is usually filled with daytime anime for kids, such as Doraemon, Precure, or One Piece. Here are the top ten listings for this year. Ranks below that are hard to find, but some are here. Thanks to Katapan for that detailed info. I'm not sure where he and Siegel Clyne get those detailed figures. 2channel?

I believe late-night anime for otaku make their money from sales of DVDs and goods, but anime aimed at least partly at kids or women also make money from TV ads, because of a larger TV audience. Unless they are too late at night, such as the excellent but undervalued Skip Beat.

And I agree about Morita. These characters are neither Morita nor Hagu (or even Ayu), they just have a family resemblance because of the artist. But if you haven't watched Honey & Clover, get on it right away. One of the best.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 12:47   Link #258
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Spoiler for More Noitamina-related than Eden-related:

I think Eden of the East has the potential to do as well as Nodame. The first episode scored the right number, and it made a strong impression, if the posts on Animesuki are any indication. Of course, Japanese viewers may not have been as attentive to the details regarding foreign facts or languages as we were, but there was so much more to appreciate anyway - I like to think the hype is building up there too. Part of the answer next Thursday with the second episode.
Old 2009-04-13, 14:58   Link #259
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Animate has a piece saying that the first episode didn't just do well for an anime, but was the highest-rated show on TV while it was airing, period. It also mentioned that this is the first original work (not from a manga or novel) that Noitamina has shown.

The radio show, which I still haven't been able to get through to on its own site, has now shown up on Nico.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-04-13 at 17:32.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 15:16   Link #260
BlackDove
Unheard

I like that at the detailing of the sentence, they can't spell remorse, but a few shots later, it's spelled properly.

Spoiler:

Also, sure is Juiz in here.
BlackDove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, spy thriller