AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-18, 08:49   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 554 (manga)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Geez, this one's a doozy! Credit goes to aohige for translation:

-The Chopper ministory continues, though the contents of it weren't specified yet. Chapter title is "Admiral Akainu".

-It turns out that Marco IS a phoenix Zoan, as many have guessed. It's actually a Zoan that's even rarer than a Logia, and can regenerate any wound with its flames. Kizaru fights against the phoenix man, but none of their attacks are effective against each other.....

-Jozu hurls an Iceburg at Akainu, but the admiral promptly destroys it with magma (urgh.... magma Logia confirmation ). Akainu then attacks Whitebeard as well, but the mighty king of the sea catches it with his spear.

-Even more characters are shown fighting. One of them is, interestingly enough, a descendant of zombie Oz from Thriller Bark, Oz Jr., who wants to help save Ace. Moria says he wants to steal the giant's corpse (). Doflamingo says that he's quite excited......

Man, this is insane! though, I was kinda hoping that Marco and Akainu's fruits were a little less predictable (particularly Akainu)..... oh, well. At least Marco's fruit is unique in the fact that it's a combination of both Zoan AND Logia. I think this now raises the chances of a dragon Zoan appearing in the series at some point.....

Heh, I was actually pleasantly surprised to find out about Oz Jr. I actually sorta am hoping that Moria gets him to fight by his side, heh. And I'm guessing from Doflamingo's dialogue that we'll finally see him in action in the next chapter. Hmmm, I wonder how many more crazy new characters are going to appear in this storyline.....?

Edit: Hmmm... It seems that the phoenix fruit is specifically classified as being a "Mythical"-type Zoan. If that's true, then that makes them all the more awesome. Heh, looks like I've got a little more of something to add to the Zoan discussion thread once the full chapter comes out......

Last edited by marvelB; 2009-08-18 at 14:19.
Old 2009-08-18, 09:14   Link #2
Prestige

Mystic Phoenix -zoan fruit ... Marco is awesome!

Akainu is Magma (logia?) user...well it was expected but its still awesome, much better than roses and plants...

The battles have started raging and war is unleashed.

Epic spoilers for epic arc. Wtb timeskip for Friday...
Old 2009-08-18, 09:21   Link #3
marvelB

Y'know, at first I was kinda disappointed about Marco's fruit, but now I feel different. After all, I got my wish...... a Zoan that's capable of kicking a Logia's ass. I wonder if Mythical Zoans can achieve an "Awakened" state, as well. Because if they can..... goddamn. Poor old Kizaru might not survive his encounter with Marco if that were the case.....

Also, about Oz Jr., I had a thought: What if Luffy ends up befriending him? I mean, Luffy's shadow was unwillingly used to manipulate his father/ancestor's corpse, so Luffy should be pretty familiar with the descendant. I'd imagine that Luffy would at first attack him out of a misunderstanding, but when he finds out that Jr. is there to save Ace, they'll probably decide to work together. And hey, the Straw-Hats (well, chiefly Usopp) have a tendency to befriend giants, anyhow......
Old 2009-08-18, 09:31   Link #4
Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Y'know, at first I was kinda disappointed about Marco's fruit, but now I feel different. After all, I got my wish...... a Zoan that's capable of kicking a Logia's ass. I wonder if Mythical Zoans can achieve an "Awakened" state, as well. Because if they can..... goddamn. Poor old Kizaru might not survive his encounter with Marco if that were the case.....
Awakened zoans have amazing regeneration abilities and physical toughness... and seeing how Marcos phoenix-form regenerates itself from flames points that he either dont really need to reach awekened state or he already has.

Marco is very high end player in One Piece and I expect that Whitebeard's crew has very good information about devil fruit properties, if Crocodile knew about awakened state then its not that far etched to believe that Marco would know about it.
Old 2009-08-18, 09:41   Link #5
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post

Wao, Marco just became a really cool character (my third favorite right now), I mean Phoenix? Those birds are bad ass, and they return from the ashes when they die.

And excuse my OP noobness, but what does "Awakened" state" reffers to?
Old 2009-08-18, 09:44   Link #6
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
Awakened zoans have amazing regeneration abilities and physical toughness... and seeing how Marcos phoenix-form regenerates itself from flames points that he either dont really need to reach awekened state or he already has.

Marco is very high end player in One Piece and I expect that Whitebeard's crew has very good information about devil fruit properties, if Crocodile knew about awakened state then its not that far etched to believe that Marco would know about it.

Actually, I wouldn't say that Awakened Zoans have heightened regenerative capabilities..... just a high level of endurance. Remember how the minotaur of Impel Down still had wounds from his first beatdown from Luffy and co. when he reappeared later on? Chopper was also already heavily wounded when he revealed his Monster Point at Enies Lobby, but he was still pretty much an unstoppable beast, as well......

But yeah, I'd definitely say an Awakened Phoenix would truly be a force to be reckoned with. He already has the ability to regenerate, but add to that the near-limitless endurance? Holy crap, Batman! Boy, am I glad to see how Oda has evolved Zoans over the last year....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
And excuse my OP noobness, but what does "Awakened" state" reffers to?

Remember the guardian beasts of Impel Down? Crocodile referred to them as being "Awakened" Zoans. They also share some physical characteristics with Chopper in his Monster Point form, so it's assumed that he can reach an Awakened state, as well. It definitely seems to imply that Zoans are at their strongest when in this state.....
Old 2009-08-18, 09:47   Link #7
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
You forget that being in an 'awakened' state seems to take away your mind. Thats not such an advantage in battle.
Old 2009-08-18, 09:49   Link #8
SMASHERJACKSON

i was hoping akainu would be a blood df fruit user, would hav made him and this whole scenario go up a knotch in grittyness and brutality but o wel magma is cool too, i wonder wat aoikiji is up to......
Old 2009-08-18, 09:51   Link #9
Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
You forget that being in an 'awakened' state seems to take away your mind. Thats not such an advantage in battle.
Choppers monster-point is not actually awakened state, or I dont think it is. Doctor Kureha just stated that his Devil Fruit went on rampage and it went out of control meaning that Chopper losed his sanity when his devil fruit went on full rampage.
Old 2009-08-18, 09:56   Link #10
Gibber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMASHERJACKSON View Post
i was hoping akainu would be a blood df fruit user, would hav made him and this whole scenario go up a knotch in grittyness and brutality but o wel magma is cool too, i wonder wat aoikiji is up to......
Yeah I was really expecting him to be blood as well since Ace is already fire but it's alright for me. Right now, I'm really more interested in what Luffy's doing now but looks like a great chapter to me.
Old 2009-08-18, 10:06   Link #11
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
Choppers monster-point is not actually awakened state, or I dont think it is. Doctor Kureha just stated that his Devil Fruit went on rampage and it went out of control meaning that Chopper losed his sanity when his devil fruit went on full rampage.

Like I said above, Monster Point does share some physical traits with the guardian beasts (particularly their hands), hence why I believe that Chopper's reached an Awakened state. Of course, it'll be some time before that's actually confirmed, but I think it's the most likely theory for now.....

Anyway, yeah, I was also hoping for Akainu to be a blood fruit user (or a Zoan), but whatever. I just hope that we'll see him use his magma powers in unique ways, just to show that he's not a rip-off of Ace/Marco.......
Old 2009-08-18, 10:13   Link #12
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

The one main difference between magma and fire is that they are completely different forms of matter.

Fire is gaseous or near plasma, magma is a non-newtonian fluid and can switch into solid form quickly when cooled.

Imagine he can trap everyone in the magma while burning them alive and then cool to form instant coffins or entire catacombs.

The magma can also form solid defensive walls while providing immediate burning damage to any melee attacker who strikes at them.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-08-18, 10:15   Link #13
Rurik
Golden

Seen this incredible display of power only show us that the SH's still have a lot of catching up to do, these power levels are amazing.
Old 2009-08-18, 10:28   Link #14
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

So i was right after all. After initally proposing some sort of plasma logia, i then shifted to the idea of the phoenix. I have said for so long, Marco was gonna be awesome and this really rare ability, proves it.

Also at WB insulting Akainu. He's making the Admiral's look like fools.
Old 2009-08-18, 10:39   Link #15
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
The one main difference between magma and fire is that they are completely different forms of matter.

Fire is gaseous or near plasma, magma is a non-newtonian fluid and can switch into solid form quickly when cooled.

Imagine he can trap everyone in the magma while burning them alive and then cool to form instant coffins or entire catacombs.

The magma can also form solid defensive walls while providing immediate burning damage to any melee attacker who strikes at them.

Yeah, I'm aware of the differences between fire and lava/maga. Still, I guess the mere fact that they're heat-based abilities is what makes them seem so familiar. But then again, guys like Eneru and Kizaru technically have heat-based abilities too, so I guess I really can't complain. But again, I'd definitely like to see Akainu making very creative uses for his power (like he makes a bunch of small volcanoes erupt and the lava forms into a small island for him and his opponent to fight on, or something like that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihawkXGP View Post
Also at WB insulting Akainu. He's making the Admiral's look like fools.

Heh, yep. But he can do that because he's freaking Whitebeard. I'm still sorta hoping that Sengoku will get off his duff and take on Newgate, though.....

And again, nobody's considering the possibility of Oz Jr. becoming friends with Luffy? The Straw-Hats made friends with a few giants already (chiefly ones from Elbaf), so I think it's definitely possible.....
Old 2009-08-18, 10:51   Link #16
SMASHERJACKSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
Seen this incredible display of power only show us that the SH's still have a lot of catching up to do, these power levels are amazing.
i think its safe to say they're over 9000
Old 2009-08-18, 11:10   Link #17
Rainbowman

My review:

Ministory: From what was mentioned from the last few posts about the last chapter, Chopper has been made a king. How he became king would be beyond me.

Main Story: Marco a phoenix zoan. My brother would be happily excited to hear that. Akainu a magma logia. Just as expected. Knowing that has given me high hopes of giving the blood logia df to a villain I created in my mind for a reinactment to One Piece movie 6. At any rate, Doflamingo remains to be seen with the full extent of his powers. The surprising thing though is that there is an Oz Jr. rescuing Ace. I never even thought that Oz himself would even have a son.
Old 2009-08-18, 11:17   Link #18
shankss
CP10

I was hoping great things from Akainu but this episode was a bit letdown on Akainu.Magma was predictable as hell.And while other admirals had flashy entrances (Aokiji freezing the ocean and sea king, Kizaru toppling supernovas and destroying giantic trees) Akainu made his move to own some low level pirates and then countered by Whitebeard with a god damn spear.Makes him look a bit like a rushed character thrown into the battlefield just to caught some interest.

My only hope is that Akainu will make some difference with a flashy move in future.For now he looks like a cheap copy of Ace+DonPachino.

So in the end only things that caught my interest this week were phoenix (which is a bit sad, we desperately need some Zoan) and Little Oz.We lack some Zoans so badly that I wouldn't mind if Lucci and his gang lands on battlefield to kill some time&people.

edit: Btw if things Im hearing is not fake its not phoenix at all.Its just a blaze blaze devil fruit that heals his wound like phoenix does.So an immortal immortal df other than Brooks?

Last edited by shankss; 2009-08-18 at 11:53.
Old 2009-08-18, 11:20   Link #19
SMASHERJACKSON

from the spoilers out so far akainu doesnt seem as flashy as the other 2 but he is supposed to be a no nonsense sort of guy right? as for his DF it has potential imo. hurling balls of magma/rock like a comet comes to mind - would also fit his indiscriminate tendancy and would make him live up to his ruthless reputation.

hope full scan/trans is out soon
Old 2009-08-18, 11:38   Link #20
shankss
CP10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMASHERJACKSON View Post
from the spoilers out so far akainu doesnt seem as flashy as the other 2 but he is supposed to be a no nonsense sort of guy right? as for his DF it has potential imo. hurling balls of magma/rock like a comet comes to mind - would also fit his indiscriminate tendancy and would make him live up to his ruthless reputation.
Well whats the point of throwing some burning rocks while Ace can create a little sun? But I have faith.Maybe in the end we will learn that "eating 2 devil fruit will kill you/your powers" is actually a lie and that Akainu actually ate 2 devil fruits without any penalty lol.

This magma devil fruit can be interesting and unique if he can create volcanos and crack the ground at his will to vomit lava/heat at his target.Like a bit of Geyser Geyser Devil Fruit added to lava stuff and controlling the ground.Whitebeard moved the land by his quake vibrations but maybe Akainu can shape and control the land with his lava.

Or Im just dreaming.Just let him throw his burning stones and then kill him.If throwing burning stuff around is all he can do , then he deserves being first defeated admiral.

Last edited by shankss; 2009-08-18 at 11:52.
Closed Thread