AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-10-06, 00:02   Link #401
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Why is the UNSC still using bullets?

Shouldn't by now with all the covenant and forerunner tech they've acquired be using plasma-based weaponry?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 00:54   Link #402
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Bullets tended to work better on the Flood than plasma weaponry... and if bullets make it past shielding, they do a hell of a lot more damage to the body and armor than plasma weaponry would. Plasma weaponry you have to deal with nasty burns and scorched armor, bullet weaponry you have to deal with nasty bloody wounds that may or may not cause organ evacuation, and shredded, perforated armor...
Old 2012-10-06, 06:32   Link #403
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Why is the UNSC still using bullets?

Shouldn't by now with all the covenant and forerunner tech they've acquired be using plasma-based weaponry?
Forerunner/Covenant tech is based on highly exotic technology that humanity isn't capable of fully mass producing yet.

The real question isn't why humans are still using bullets. It's why they aren't using high tech, laser guided airburst bullets like this, considering it's the year 2552.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
The answer? The developers like the mechanic of the humans still using brass flinging automatic weapons that go "BANG BANG" or "RATA TATATAT".

This is all part of a general Science fiction trend that started after the golden age of sci-fi. People were starting to find the death rays and laser guys from the 30-60's to be silly/and or not realistic enough for their space setting. So series that wanted to be more visceral, or to distinguish the humans better than the aliens started giving the humans predominantly modern conventional firearms.

This has gotten a bit silly as of late, since you have guys in the 26th century running around with small arms comparable to 20th century small arms, despite having Space ships and FTL travel. This is kinda like Having nuclear powered aircraft carriers, but infantry soldiers armed with matchlock muskets.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2012-10-06 at 06:44.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 07:29   Link #404
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

You could also argue its down to resources and production time as smaller arms would require less resources and time to manufacture which in a time of war when so much is lost is probably important.

Also the more complicated the weapon the more that can go wrong with it so it would be less reliable and require more maintenance.

It may also be down to the devs wanting to clearly differentiate the covenant and human weapons although that said it is likely just because most like the rata tatata rather than pew pew lasers =D

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 15:26   Link #405
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Bah.

Look at Warhammer 40K.

They still use weapons comparable to 21st century firearms AKA Autoguns but are more advanced and then you got the bolters which are literally mass-reactive explosive shells but resemble bullets.

The least they could do is expand the railgun technology.

But that's just me.
Old 2012-10-06, 15:32   Link #406
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Bah.

Look at Warhammer 40K.
Warhammer 40k is inherently silly.
Old 2012-10-06, 17:34   Link #407
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Warhammer 40k is inherently silly.
That aside, Warhammer 40k does suffer from serious technology decay.

They lost most means of build the stuff they posses and there are crazy people everywhere who believe that machines are hosts of... beings that need prayer, incense and songs to be soothed during maintenance so the machine won't break down.
And thus we are back to silly.

But yeah, in most modern sci-fi games that has "army dudes" weapons tend to be normal modern world firearms that just look somewhat sci-fi.
Old 2012-10-06, 17:41   Link #408
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

I will agree that the weapons seems to be like Modern Firearms today, but there is the old saying "the weapon does not make the soldier, it is how the soldier uses it that makes the soldier". There will always be improvements to weapons, but doesn't mean much if you can't use it.

Last edited by ReaperxKingx; 2012-10-06 at 18:12.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 18:20   Link #409
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
I will agree that the weapons seems to be like Modern Firearms today, but there is the old saying "the weapon does not make the soldier, it is how the soldier uses it that makes the soldier". There will always be improvements to weapons, but doesn't mean much if you can't use it.
Some weapons already have so much firepower it doesn't matter how much your guys suck. The greatest armies from antiquity to the Renaissance would have been utterly annihilated if they got into a fight against an untrained militia army outfitted with AK-47's and Toyota trucks.

Of course Halo isn't about realistic portrayal of 25th century weapons technology. It's about running around as a giant guy in a green suit with cool looking guns and going "Blam Blam" at aliens.
Old 2012-10-06, 18:39   Link #410
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Some weapons already have so much firepower it doesn't matter how much your guys suck. The greatest armies from antiquity to the Renaissance would have been utterly annihilated if they got into a fight against an untrained militia army outfitted with AK-47's and Toyota trucks.

Of course Halo isn't about realistic portrayal of 25th century weapons technology. It's about running around as a giant guy in a green suit with cool looking guns and going "Blam Blam" at aliens.
If only we can control the Spartans to kill like in the books, would love sniping upside down like Linda.
Old 2012-10-06, 19:50   Link #411
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
If only we can control the Spartans to kill like in the books, would love sniping upside down like Linda.
Yeah, that would be fun
Old 2012-10-06, 19:54   Link #412
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Yeah, that would be fun
I've been hearing crazy rumors left and right about Linda in other forums and halo.wikia.com, the latest book said that Linda got rescued and was offered to join the Spartan IV. She had blood red hair and the only Spartan IV that we seen without the helmet has blood red hair. Would be very surprise if she was in the game, matter a fact I would love it. Though I think I am getting my hopes up.
Old 2012-10-06, 19:56   Link #413
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I've been hearing crazy rumors left and right about Linda in other forums and halowikia.com, the latest book said that Linda got rescued and was offered to join the Spartan IV. She had blood red hair and the only Spartan IV that we seen without the helmet has blood red hair. Would be very surprise if she was in the game, matter a fact I would love it. Though I think I am getting my hopes up.
She seems to be a little short to be a Spartan II. They were all bloody gigantic people.
Old 2012-10-06, 20:04   Link #414
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
She seems to be a little short to be a Spartan II. They were all bloody gigantic people.
That is why I said I think I am getting my hopes up, though I really do want to see her in the game. Though if they make her weak as the Spartan IIIs in Halo Reach I would be disappointed especially because Linda is the Spartan who is known as the Lone-wolf and can shoot Elites in their Banshees like sport.
Old 2012-10-06, 20:15   Link #415
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

@ pictures posted above. I love the detail on the destroyed Forward unto Dawn! It shows markings of how many Convent ships it destroyed

Campaign Mission Demo "Forerunner"
This game looks the most frighting, and si-fi halo yet!
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 20:49   Link #416
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
That aside, Warhammer 40k does suffer from serious technology decay.

They lost most means of build the stuff they posses and there are crazy people everywhere who believe that machines are hosts of... beings that need prayer, incense and songs to be soothed during maintenance so the machine won't break down.
And thus we are back to silly.
For the record the Machine Spirit actually DOES exist and if you don't make the proper prayers the Machine Spirit WILL kick your ass.

Quote:
She's a Spartan II? I thought she was a IV.
Old 2012-10-06, 21:01   Link #417
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
She's a Spartan II? I thought she was a IV.
Nooooo, I said she seemed a bit too short to be a Spartan II. That means I think she probably isn't an SII.
Old 2012-10-07, 06:47   Link #418
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
For the record the Machine Spirit actually DOES exist and if you don't make the proper prayers the Machine Spirit WILL kick your ass.
But only if you are a human machine priest, Squat Engineers and Ork Mekboyz never had these kind of problems.
On the other hand thier machinary is not infected by the Void Dragon (yeah I'm one of those believers).

But that's off topic now.
Old 2012-10-07, 12:07   Link #419
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

I wish they'd do away with the dubstep in the mp videos as its like nails on a chalkboard for me

Anyway nice to see Valhalla back as I quite enjoyed racing about that map in the hog, that said they haven't really given it much of a face lift like they usually do with remakes which is a bit of a shame.

Spoiler for Also regarding linda::

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 13:08   Link #420
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Don't think it needed much of a face lift anyhow. Looks like they smoothed it out, good enough for me
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halo 4, sierra 117