AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2013-04-06, 13:24   Link #1
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Forum Reorganization

Over the last few months, the staff have been discussing some ideas about ways to address some of the sometimes crowded/messy nature of "catch-all" sub-forums like "General Anime" and "General Chat", and also to clean-up some of the lesser-used sub-forums based on changes in the forum dynamic over time.

EDIT: A lot of discussion has already happened in the thread that evolves and refines the idea, and also explains a lot of the rationale behind many of the decisions. If you'd like to participation in the discussion at this point, the staff would appreciate if you could take the time to read through the whole thread to understand the evolution of the idea and all the rationale.

The original starting point is still included below for your reference, but please don't just reply to this original idea without following the rest of the thread.

TL;DR…
Original Post
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-04-13 at 02:19.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 13:53   Link #2
Haiprbim
Banned

I am a big supporter of this idea.
It would surely balance out the usage of each forum, because currently, General Anime and General Chat are way too crowded, looking at the activity of the other Forums.

However, I would have a section called Support with a few sub-forums where Tech, Account, and possibly any other help and support could be given.
A section that would be purely help-focused, for both searching and giving it.

I'll think about this a little more and add to my response if I think about anything else, but I think that the main idea of reconstructing the forums is great.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 13:56   Link #3
Westlo
Lets be reality

Manga and Light Novels getting split is long overdue.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 14:04   Link #4
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Manga and Light Novels getting split is long overdue.
Yeah, that much is clear. In fact, even if we didn't do the rest of the changes, we'd probably still do this anyway.
Old 2013-04-06, 14:27   Link #5
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Have you considered moving Games to General instead of Anime-Related? A large number of threads in that section, if not the majority, have nothing to do with anime.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 14:41   Link #6
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
Have you considered moving Games to General instead of Anime-Related? A large number of threads in that section, if not the majority, have nothing to do with anime.
I don't agree. When i take a look at the first page i already come across many games that have an "anime style" or have a reference to an anime

Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai
[PS3] Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemist of Dusk Sky
World of Tanks (for some GuP related stuff)
[PC/PSV] Phantasy Star Online 2
TERA Online
Black ★ Rock Shooter: The Game (PSP)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle (PS3)
Etrian Odyssey 3 & 4
Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 15:08   Link #7
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I really like the idea behind this. On the whole, I think this would improve Anime Suki, so great thinking by the Moderating Staff.

However, I have two thoughts/suggestions:

1. The overall degree of subdivision might be slightly excessive. In particular, I think that "Merchandise, Sales, and Ratings" and "Notable Companies, Staff, and Actors" maybe should be combined into a general "The Anime Industry" subforum. My impression is that those of us who care about "Merchandise, Sales, and Ratings" also tend to care about "Notable Companies, Staff, and Actors" (and vice versa). I do see significant discussion overlap here, where having the same subforum for these two categories might head off potential uncertainty of where to post a new thread (ex. You want to talk about KyoAni's "new direction" and how you think it's impacting their sales and ratings).

2. If you go with this, I think it would be best to allow "Best of..." and "Worst of..." threads again. Let's face it, a lot of people clearly like talking about that. And anybody who is active in the "Likes, Dislikes, Contests, and Favourites" subforum is basically asking to see a lot of this sort of discussion.
Old 2013-04-06, 16:35   Link #8
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
2. If you go with this, I think it would be best to allow "Best of..." and "Worst of..." threads again. Let's face it, a lot of people clearly like talking about that. And anybody who is active in the "Likes, Dislikes, Contests, and Favourites" subforum is basically asking to see a lot of this sort of discussion.
I think that was part of the idea of splitting it off, though I'm still not sure if we'd allow both "Best of" and "Worst of" for the same issue. It's a bit better in that case to have one single thread for both best and worst.

I'm not so opposed to a sort of "Anime Industry" section that combines the staff and the sales... but one of the goals of the titles was to try to have descriptive headings. I worry about that "Anime Industry" as a title is a bit too broad (since everything is really "anime industry"). So maybe "Anime Companies, People, and Metrics"?
Old 2013-04-06, 17:18   Link #9
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think that was part of the idea of splitting it off, though I'm still not sure if we'd allow both "Best of" and "Worst of" for the same issue. It's a bit better in that case to have one single thread for both best and worst.

I'm not so opposed to a sort of "Anime Industry" section that combines the staff and the sales... but one of the goals of the titles was to try to have descriptive headings. I worry about that "Anime Industry" as a title is a bit too broad (since everything is really "anime industry"). So maybe "Anime Companies, People, and Metrics"?
All of that sounds good to me. "Anime Companies, People, and Metrics" is a very nice descriptive heading.

And yeah, combining "Best of" and "Worst of" into one single thread is probably a good idea.
Old 2013-04-06, 17:34   Link #10
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Entertainment and Sport should combine to Hobbies and Fun since there so many overlap
and what you mean by Arts and Science?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 17:48   Link #11
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

While it might work, it might not. I was on a forum that had different forums related to video games (Sega, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, PC, Handhelds). They ended up ditching that and making one gaming forum and it helped those forums considerably. It worked for that forum.

Similarly, the Neogaf forums (they are well known) has a general chat section that allows for all general chat topics to coexist, and it works out great for them.

Right now, AnimeSuki has a similar general chat section. It might work out better to have general chat be all inclusive to the sub-forums you laid out in your proposal. Breaking up General chat might lead to a bit less forum activity. I go to general chat when I go on animesuki because I know it gets so much activity and there is tons of new content there on a daily basis. Break up general chat and you'll probably have some of those sub-forums get slow traffic compared to others. People who frequent general chat will 'juggle' between five sub-forums when they were used to one forum to frequent.

My suggestion is to not break up general chat too much, if you decide to break it up. How about two parts to general chat. One will be for Hobbies and Fun, Arts and Science, Entertainment, and Sports. These are leisurely interests and activities. It is logical to make a forum that centers on those things. Then have a general chat section for News and Current Events and Politics. I think this would work out better. People who frequent general chat now would only have to juggle between two general chat forums instead of five.
Old 2013-04-06, 19:01   Link #12
brocko

Too much segmentation can sometimes be a bad thing. I'll also vouch for general chat not getting broken up so much and continue acting as a catch-all type section. Seeing entire dead sections can really be a downer in the forums. If possible I'd prefer it to stay as it is.

I guess the same sentiments can be extended to the General Anime section as well. I'll be making comments about the current proposal inside the quote itself.

Quote:
  • General Anime Topics
    • News, Events, and Conventions
      (I like the inclusion of this sub-section. I think news articles can be dropped though and have the main General Anime Topic section house it as it has always been. Something has to populate the main section right? )

• Merchandise, Sales, and Ratings
    • Notable Companies, Staff, and Actors
      (like previous suggestions, combing the above two sub-sections into one may be a good idea. I assume studio discussion threads will be moved here too then)

• Suggestions, Recommendations and Identification
      (pretty much same as before, although with the extra addition of identifications, I take you guys want every identification post to be it's own thread? It could be adding unnecessary complications and clutter imo. Keeping up, following and contributing to that one big sticky thread was a relatively simple, clean and efficient task to do and I'd hate for us to be taking a step backwards in this case.)

• Likes, Dislikes, Contests, and Favourites
      (I can see the reasons behind this, but I worry about the activity within the main General Anime Topic section. Perhaps with the divisions being implemented, these types of threads won't necessarily need their own sections after all and can go back into the main section)

• Other Anime-related Discussion Topics
      (redundant sub-section imo, threads here can simply go into the main General Anime Topic section.)
My main concern over the original proposal is that the main section is being split apart too much, leaving the main General Anime section itself without any real purpose and discussion.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 19:41   Link #13
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I missed that he said General Anime will be splintered. I think if you break that up too much, it'd be bad, as well. I say either keep it all inclusive or only break it into two. Otherwise, at least half of those will be really slow. The thing is, if you just keep general anime all inclusive, it should get more traffic and activity than if it was split up into several parts like you guys are considering.
Old 2013-04-06, 20:01   Link #14
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I'm okay in concept with combining some of the sections, but part of the idea of breaking it up is, as was alluded before, to allow certain topics to flourish that currently are being restrained.

For example, the reason to call out "events and conventions" specifically is to encourage people to post about those. Right now, it's sort of inconsistent as to whether people do or don't post about them because they may get buried between other topics.

The reason for calling out the Likes/Dislikes/Favourites/etc. is because some people really like those threads and others don't, so this allows a section where all those threads can exist and people who don't care for them can avoid them.

"Suggestions, Recommendations and Identification" is basically the same as now with the Identification Sticky moved there. (No, I don't think we should do one thread per request.)

The "General Anime Topics" at the top is just a header. I wasn't thinking that it would be an actual forum, just a container to host other forums. And that's why we had "Other" in that General Anime (since that'd be the forum we have now).

I have to admit that my theory is that with a clearer scope (and looser rules within that scope), the pace in each section could be acceptable. While I get that lumping all threads into a single forum causes things to move more quickly, it also gets messy and ill-defined.

If we think of the anime section as those 5 parts:
- News/Events/Conventions
- Companies/People/Metrics
- Suggestions/Recommendations/Identification
- Likes/Dislikes/Contest/Favourites
- Everything else

...and if we allow a bit freer thread creation in some of those sections (so that it's more fluid), I think there is enough active conversation (or at least can be) for each of these sections.

(Or, put it this way, I think the potential for conversation in those broad topics is no less than what it is when an anime series gets a sub-forum.)
Old 2013-04-06, 20:11   Link #15
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

so you mean News/Events/Conventions will be stuff like AFA or comiket while Everything else will be "why anime suck/great" stuff?

I fine with that.

but say if i want to make "Mecha anime is doomed because of poor ranking" or "Japan decide to ban loli anime", where do i put that?

Old 2013-04-06, 20:23   Link #16
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
so you mean News/Events/Conventions will be stuff like AFA or comiket while Everything else will be "why anime suck/great" stuff?

I fine with that.
Well, I don't know about "Why anime sucks/is great". In general, I'd prefer to avoid those sorts of repetitive editorials. But I suppose it could probably go into the "Other related" section.

Quote:
but say if i want to make "Mecha anime is doomed because of poor ranking" or "Japan decide to ban loli anime", where do i put that?
I would say if the topic of the first thread is about actual ratings/facts, it should go in the Company/People/Metrics section. And the second sounds like news, so it can go in the News/Events/Conventions section.
Old 2013-04-06, 20:41   Link #17
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

so Company/People/Metrics will be to business stuff?

Old 2013-04-06, 20:49   Link #18
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
so Company/People/Metrics will be to business stuff?
Yeah, it's stuff related to the business of anime, and the people associated with it.
Old 2013-04-06, 21:40   Link #19
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Yeah, it's stuff related to the business of anime, and the people associated with it.
In other words, stuff like the studio discussion threads, the DVD & BD sales threads, the TV ratings and the threads about Urobuchi and Okada.

I sort of wonder if Visual Novels should get their own section separate from Video Games.

Overall, I am fine with the proposed changes, and the Manga & Light Novel split is the most urgently needed thing.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 21:53   Link #20
brocko

I'm in favour for the addition of an anime business section alongside a convention and events one (I personally feel like news articles are better defined into the 'general anime' or 'other' section than this one tbh. The two topics just don't fit under the one umbrella to me =/). The light novel and manga split is much welcomed too.

Quote:
The "General Anime Topics" at the top is just a header. I wasn't thinking that it would be an actual forum, just a container to host other forums. And that's why we had "Other" in that General Anime (since that'd be the forum we have now).
I see there was a slight mis-understanding on my part. Either sub-forums or proper sections will work fine. But when you mention containers, do you mean turning General Anime into and adding it as another one of these?

http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1
http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3
http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

If so I think I more prefer the current General Anime section to be expanded into the series of suggested sub-forums/sub-sections instead. The front page is already big enough as it is, and adding another container doesn't exactly help in that case, while the sub-forums route would offer a more efficient use of space (and perhaps also be less of a drastic layout change? it's up for debate I guess). Another advantage of this, is you won't have to resort to the use of an 'Other Anime Discussion' type label to rename General Anime just because it's being used as the container label.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2013-04-07 at 00:54.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote