AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-09-17, 13:39   Link #501
Kayu

it's a canned small fish like sardine. You eat everything from it. If u can not find it you could use a can of tuna in water too.
Old 2012-09-17, 14:13   Link #502
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Whenever I go to Chinese (or other Asian) restaurants, I never see a potato in sight, not on the menu, or on my plate. Likewise, I never see anything involving potatoes in any of my Asian cookbooks.

As a proud potato loving Irishman, I have to ask those here with far better knowledge of Asian cuisine then I... why no love for the King of Root Vegetables?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 16:29   Link #503
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Whenever I go to Chinese (or other Asian) restaurants, I never see a potato in sight, not on the menu, or on my plate. Likewise, I never see anything involving potatoes in any of my Asian cookbooks.

As a proud potato loving Irishman, I have to ask those here with far better knowledge of Asian cuisine then I... why no love for the King of Root Vegetables?
Actually, it's in quite a few dishes, but generally is not the "staple" ingredient due to the amount of starch already in dishes due to rice being a major part of every meal.

For example:
-Japanese Curry - usually made with potato, carrots, onions and a protein
-Japanese Croquets - It's like mash potato that's flash fried, sometimes has additional filling

For Chinese food I definitely feel like I see potato less, but I still see it served in small chunks in soups (boiled) or in stir-fry dishes (boiled or shredded and deep fried). I do feel like I see another starchy root vegetable more -- Taro.
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 16:34   Link #504
Sumeragi
Banned

Koreans also use a lot of potatoes in their cooking. It's west of Korea/Manchuria/Japan that potatoes are less common.

Basically, the most popular "Asian" food are either west of the potato realm, or is focused on food that most natives don't eat on a regular basis at home (especially Japanese cuisine).
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 16:58   Link #505
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
For Chinese food I definitely feel like I see potato less, but I still see it served in small chunks in soups (boiled) or in stir-fry dishes (boiled or shredded and deep fried). I do feel like I see another starchy root vegetable more -- Taro.
Yep, my MIL actually does these very things when she cooks, especially when she makes curry.

Endless "Nickname laziness" Soul
Old 2012-09-17, 17:21   Link #506
Sumeragi
Banned

So DonQuigleone, you want a Korean potato recipe?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 18:04   Link #507
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Sure. I love potatoes, and wish to eat them in every manner possible.

I've been experimenting with stir frying potatoes, but the last time I tried it, it was a bit of a wash (They took longer then I expected to cook...)
Old 2012-09-17, 20:20   Link #508
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Sure. I love potatoes, and wish to eat them in every manner possible.

I've been experimenting with stir frying potatoes, but the last time I tried it, it was a bit of a wash (They took longer then I expected to cook...)

I've heard of people softening them up by boiling them before pan frying them. I've heard of people doing that before making home fries. You could look it up online. I believe you don't fully cook them in water, just soften them up.
Old 2012-09-17, 20:30   Link #509
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I've heard of people softening them up by boiling them before pan frying them. I've heard of people doing that before making home fries. You could look it up online. I believe you don't fully cook them in water, just soften them up.
IE Parboiling. Seems like a good idea.
Old 2012-09-17, 20:32   Link #510
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
And I was going to say queue the "Meat & Potato Stew" (Nikujaga) that everyone hears about in anime!

For a psuedo-Chinese recipe that my mother used to make sometimes:

-Take 2-3 white potatoes, slice them somewhat thin like thick potato chips
-Soak them in water so they don't oxidize
-Pan-fry the potato slices until cooked through and slightly crispy on the outside
-Set it aside on a napkin covered tray to absorb oil and keep it crispy
-Take ground pork and saute it until cooked through
-Add in a decent amount of soy sauce, with a bit of sesame oil, sugar, salt, oyster sauce, vinegar and garlic to add flavour to make a chunky, chili-style meat sauce
-Add on top of the potato and serve all of this on top of rice

Yes.. A dish with pan-fried crispy potatoes ontop of rice! It reminds me of an asian style poutine with rice
Old 2012-09-17, 23:08   Link #511
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Is your mother Chinese? You say the recipe is pseudo-Chinese so I wonder if it is something she came up with.

Did you cook for your fiance yet?
Old 2012-09-18, 01:49   Link #512
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
It's far faster to just microwave them to soften them up, than to boil them.

And, yes, if you were to try to stir-fry a potato straight from its gloriously raw state...it would take a long, long time.

Nuke a potato for a few minutes (time varies on strength of microwave). Slice up. Throw in pan with hot oil. Salt and garlic and paprika. Light cheese on top. Fry 'till cheese melts. Yum.

Edit: As far as asian dishes with potatoes, there are plenty. As has been mentioned, the potato is practically the centerpoint of Japanese Curry. Here's a fantastic start for your Japanese Curry adventure. Once you've mastered this basic curry, you can then experiment with other ingredients.

http://www.justhungry.com/japanese-beef-curry

Even though it says 6-8 servings, if you have a 4-person family, I'd double the recipe. Also, as in most dishes, large cubes of potatoes are better than small cubes. Especially when you let the dish sit overnight to let the potatoes really suck up flavor from the rest of the dish.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-18, 12:12   Link #513
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Is your mother Chinese? You say the recipe is pseudo-Chinese so I wonder if it is something she came up with.

Did you cook for your fiance yet?
Yeah, my mother and I are both 100% Chinese and it is in fact a dish she sort of just made up.. I don't ever recall any other people mentioning or have ever seen it in a cookbook of any kind.

As for my cooking.. I found some recipes, but it looks like we may be doing a big gigantic dinner out with cocktails at my friend's place afterwards.. So who knows if it's still on?

I was going to do pan-seared lightly salted sea scallops on a bed of wilted watercress as an appetizer and broiled lobsters as the main course -- and yes, I'm a novice (novice is being kind) chef but.. Go big or go home, right?
Old 2012-09-18, 23:06   Link #514
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Yeah, my mother and I are both 100% Chinese and it is in fact a dish she sort of just made up.. I don't ever recall any other people mentioning or have ever seen it in a cookbook of any kind.

As for my cooking.. I found some recipes, but it looks like we may be doing a big gigantic dinner out with cocktails at my friend's place afterwards.. So who knows if it's still on?

I was going to do pan-seared lightly salted sea scallops on a bed of wilted watercress as an appetizer and broiled lobsters as the main course -- and yes, I'm a novice (novice is being kind) chef but.. Go big or go home, right?

So you haven't had much practice with your cooking skills? It could be risky to try to take a leap of faith. If you go for it, I'm sure you can get some good advice and tips online; on websites and in this thread. I bet the poster Synaesthetic could give you some good advice on your planned meal, she has held a job as a cook for something like 4 or 5 years in the past. If you actually go for it, just read up on everything you'd need to do for the meal and make sure you really wanna have a go at it. For example, even the liquid butter you would have for the lobster takes some work. You don't just simply melt butter.

It is called clarified butter. You can make your own: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJx6mHXKmNs

Or buy some: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...arified+butter

I don't know if the stuff you buy is as good as the stuff you make yourself. As far as I know, I've never had the jarred stuff. Any time I've had lobster, it has been at a good New England seafood restaurant, and I don't expect any of those to use the jarred stuff.

Here is a site giving guidelines on broiling lobster tails in an oven. http://www.ehow.com/how_5030747_broi...ails-oven.html

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2012-09-18 at 23:21.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 17:57   Link #515
Siegel Clyne

Vietnamese French Fries

Vietnamese cuisine has a dish, Thịt Bò Xào Khoai Tây (Beef and French Fried Potatoes).

The French introduced potatoes (which originated in South America) and French fries (yeah, I know, "French" fries originated in Belgium) into Vietnam.

I've cooked Thịt Bò Xào Khoai Tây myself.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 15:45   Link #516
thankonomics

Beef arrozcaldo...essentially the Filipino version of congee

I tried doing the beef version first. Did the chicken version when my sister got sick. I prefer the chicken version.

Mince up some garlic...I usually do about four cloves. Toss it in a pot in some cooking oil. Slice up some onions and put that in the pot. Cut up some ginger and toss that in as well. Put in a bouillon cube (chicken or beef depending on which meat you'll be using) and mash it up with what you have in your pot. Add the meat in there. Once your meat is cooked through, add the water. Then you add your uncooked rice. The rice will cook in pot and after some time it should get to that porridge texture. You can always add more water if you don't like it too thick.

For the chicken version you can also add hard boiled eggs in it. When you serve it, add in the sliced green onions and some saffron powder. And there you go. Some Filipino comfort food for you, or something nice to enjoy when the weather gets cold.
thankonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 08:58   Link #517
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
So you haven't had much practice with your cooking skills? It could be risky to try to take a leap of faith. If you go for it, I'm sure you can get some good advice and tips online; on websites and in this thread. I bet the poster Synaesthetic could give you some good advice on your planned meal, she has held a job as a cook for something like 4 or 5 years in the past. If you actually go for it, just read up on everything you'd need to do for the meal and make sure you really wanna have a go at it. For example, even the liquid butter you would have for the lobster takes some work. You don't just simply melt butter.
Hey! So I took a leap of faith anyways.. things turned out pretty good? I'm generally very good at following directions. I'll try to get a few pictures up:

1) Seared Scallops on wilted watercress with panchetta
2) Broiled lobster, seared ribeye and steamed asparagus

As for the butter.. I just melted butter. The recipe called for it that way too, strangely enough. The recipe for the lobster said: "serve with melted unsalted butter and lemon wedges"

My only hiccups were related to the rock lobster, the shell on top was too hard to cut without shattering, so I had to open it up from underneath.. which detached some of the shell lining which was very bitter!

Update (Pictures):

Last edited by willx; 2012-09-24 at 09:43. Reason: Update for Pictures!
Old 2012-09-24, 10:15   Link #518
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Looks like things turned out pretty well. Sorry about using the term "leap of faith", I just meant that it was kind of an ambitious meal if you hadn't had much experience with cooking. But looking at those pics, it looks like things turned out pretty well. Did the dinner go over really nicely? Was she happy and appreciative of the meal you made?
Old 2012-09-24, 17:00   Link #519
willx
Nyaaan~~

^ Thanks. "Leap of faith" is how I'd call it too since I really don't cook very much at all, but as I said, "Go big or go home", that's my motto!

It was a lot of work though.. Even though cooking times were relatively short, and the prep time minimal for these dishes.. I think I'm just not experienced enough to breeze through it, so it required more "mental energy" than I would have otherwise thought.
Old 2012-09-24, 19:59   Link #520
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
^ Thanks. "Leap of faith" is how I'd call it too since I really don't cook very much at all, but as I said, "Go big or go home", that's my motto!

It was a lot of work though.. Even though cooking times were relatively short, and the prep time minimal for these dishes.. I think I'm just not experienced enough to breeze through it, so it required more "mental energy" than I would have otherwise thought.

I'm not a great cook, but I'm fairly decent (perhaps that is putting it a bit modestly, too), and I know that gaining more experience with cooking over an extended period of time has certainly helped me progress as a cook. It also helps that I have a knack for cooking. That knack for cooking helps me get a little boost and helps me learn new things a bit quicker. One thing I'm not particularly good at is grilling meats on a grill. I'm alright at it, but I just don't have a knack for it. I'm going to guess the same for baking. I haven't really delved into that, so I don't know for sure.