AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-20, 01:38   Link #1
Tier3

Classic series

Man, I stumbled across the Evangelion opening today and I got hit with an insane amount of nostalgia.

I need a classic series to watch....

Evangelion
Cowboy Bebop
Fist of the north star
Trigun
Akira

It's hard to explain, all of those are different but they all share that same feel. That, bigger than itself feeling. You watch those and you KNOW this isn't just another anime.

Please feed my nostalgia.
Old 2009-01-20, 02:02   Link #2
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Macross and the original Gundam movies are probably both great choices, as they are both classic and both nothing short of amazing. Some of my favorite 80s anime would include Rose of Versailles or Space Adventure Cobra - anything directed by Osamu Dezaki is pretty much an immediate classic. Please Save My Earth definitely has the 'better than anything else' feeling to it. Escaflowne is cosidered a classic though I found it disappointing. Depending on your preference, there's Lain, but that's not the same kind of thing as those you listed. But if I had to pick the two most absolutely necessary 90s anime not listed by you, I'd say Revolutionary Girl Utena and Martian Successor Nadesico are your best bets.
Old 2009-01-20, 02:03   Link #3
mit7059

Try watching Patlabor, I believe it aired from 1989-1990 and was better know for the three movies it spawned than it was for the series itself which is too bad because the series was a real gem. It was very much a character driven series and was the series that really got me into anime, so I guess I've got some nostalgia from that.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2009-01-20, 02:27   Link #4
Rahan

Yeah, in the west, Patlabor is mostly known because of the movies, and the movies are mostly known because the first two were directed by Oshii (director of the Ghost in the Shell movies) but the whole franchise is worth watching.

Some classics I have rewatched recently (except Touch I had never watched before) and still very much enjoyed :

Touch : romance / sport (baseball)
Ranma 1/2 : the ancestor of the harem manga / animes. Hilarious, but maybe a bit repetitive after a few seasons)
City Hunter : Mokkori !
Maison Ikkoku and Kimagure Orange Road : 2 great shojo
Legend of Galactic Heroes : best space opera ever.
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor : hilarious space opera.
Slam Dunk : probably the best sport anime ever.
Old 2009-01-20, 03:48   Link #5
signorRossi

I second LotGH, just don't watch it all at once. A shame that Tytania actually sucks in comparison.
Another one would be 'The Hakkenden', altough its' classic status may be debatable. It is just a shame that the production had so many problems then, a little more consistency and polish and it would have gotten a doubtless classic status.

SignorRossi.
Old 2009-01-20, 05:17   Link #6
jedinat

I'll second Ranma, Tylor, and Lain.
Vampire Princess Miyu
His and Her Circumstances
Devilman Lady
Closed Thread