AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Old 2010-05-23, 17:13   Link #1041
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundam X burner View Post
were can i watch the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann films
You can google it. First movie is Gurren-hen, second movie is Lagann-hen. Both have different battle scenes and such. Neat addition to the anime. I liked Lagann-hen though. Gurren was a bit of a recap than new material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie Smallz View Post
I can't seem to grasp why Yoko choose Kamina over the main character? Kamina IMO was a gary stu who could do anything he wanted but due to death was killed off because he was the perfect hero. Simon took back the spotlight when he died though.
Think about it. Kamina was about the same age as Yoko, and Kamina is a total bad ass. Why wouldn't she fall for him. Also, Simon is damn young at the time. Did you see the height difference between them? The reason Simon got the impression she liked him was because she loved children(she becomes a teacher) , Simon was still a child.
Old 2010-05-26, 05:18   Link #1042
Biggie Smallz
Banned

Aren't Simon and Yoko the same age? A Badass is such a overrated word, I'd like to call him, god among gods considering he's the ultimate sue.
Biggie Smallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 17:08   Link #1043
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie Smallz View Post
Aren't Simon and Yoko the same age? A Badass is such a overrated word, I'd like to call him, god among gods considering he's the ultimate sue.
Nope. Kamina was probably a year older than Yoko, closer than Simon and Yoko. I wouldn't think Yoko would go for a younger guy.

Kamina is a MAN.
Old 2010-05-27, 01:48   Link #1044
TyG3R

No , dark. You're wrong this time , Simon and Yoko were the same age.
Old 2010-05-27, 22:58   Link #1045
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyG3R View Post
No , dark. You're wrong this time , Simon and Yoko were the same age.
Actually, Yoko was a bit older than Simon. But she WAS closer to Simon in age than she was to Kamina.
Old 2010-05-28, 16:22   Link #1046
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Actually, Yoko was a bit older than Simon. But she WAS closer to Simon in age than she was to Kamina.
It happens more than not, younger girls like older guys.
Old 2010-06-23, 14:24   Link #1047
NightBaron
Desert Fox
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to NightBaron
Hey, i was just wondering but was there any significance in Yoko throwing the ring back to Simon at the end?
NightBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-23, 16:18   Link #1048
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBaron View Post
Hey, i was just wondering but was there any significance in Yoko throwing the ring back to Simon at the end?
Well. It was by chance that the ring dropped nearest to Yoko. There is no real significance to it, she was closest, it makes sense that she would give it back.
Old 2010-06-23, 18:19   Link #1049
Madal
All you need is love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Yoko was three years younger than Kamina and one year older than Simon. Age wise she fits more with Kamina, imo.
Madal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 22:05   Link #1050
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madal View Post
Yoko was three years younger than Kamina and one year older than Simon. Age wise she fits more with Kamina, imo.
I think it was said in a earlier post, but thanks for the back up
Old 2010-06-25, 07:57   Link #1051
Madal
All you need is love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdarkdark View Post
I think it was said in a earlier post, but thanks for the back up
No prob. Hey, it's even on their character design sheets:
Yoko- 14~15
Kamina- 17~18

I think it would get a bit awkward if Yoko started to put some moves on Simon. She is described as a more mature, serious and protective person, but is also said to drop this attitude in front of her "favorite man". Seeing how easily Kamina can disarm this attitute, so there you have it. She couldn't fall for Simon because the first impression he made on her was more like "aww, I need to protect this cute little thing" and later on there wasn't really any room left for anyone but Kamina...
IDK, I thought she was actually even a little unfair to Simon, using him as a source of info about Kamina. Chicks do that a lot.
Old 2010-06-25, 16:25   Link #1052
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Yoko- 14~15
Kamina- 17~18

I think it would get a bit awkward if Yoko started to put some moves on Simon. She is described as a more mature, serious and protective person, but is also said to drop this attitude in front of her "favorite man". Seeing how easily Kamina can disarm this attitute, so there you have it. She couldn't fall for Simon because the first impression he made on her was more like "aww, I need to protect this cute little thing" and later on there wasn't really any room left for anyone but Kamina...
IDK, I thought she was actually even a little unfair to Simon, using him as a source of info about Kamina. Chicks do that a lot.
Well. That's why she became a teacher. And also, girls typically don't like younger guys.
Old 2010-08-13, 10:04   Link #1053
Jehuty77
Legendary Hero

Send a message via MSN to Jehuty77
I know I'm late to the party cause most people watched this 2 years ago,

The entire series was great but really for me, when it was just the 3 of them journeying out, that was when the series was at its best.

The first episode I watched I thought
  • Simon = Shinji Ikari
  • Kamina = Gai Daigoji
  • Yoko = Nice Boobs!

But after a few episodes i was hooked, even if they fell into typical character roles. I really liked that the main character wasn't a little kid for a change and there was actual progress in a relationship(Yoko/Kamina) instead of the typical no progress in a relationship till the last episode.

I had a gut feeling Kamina was gonna die after the kiss though, I just thought "Hmmm this seems way too out of the norm for anime".

Anime never has successful relationships, I think it has to do with the fact anime fans prefer the characters to be single because in some way that makes them more alluring?

Later on I thought the series got to cluttered with characters, so many characters, that not many were developed, when they started killing them off during the final battle i wasnt reallt bothered at all (except for kittan). When it was just a smaller group, you got more attached.

Quote:
Yoko- 14~15
Kamina- 17~18

There was never a chance for simon from the beginning, Kamina was the man she was into, if she just jumped ship it would have cheapened the connection she had with Kamina. The fact she stayed true to him after his passing shows he was irreplaceable.

Girls always use guys friends to learn about the guys they like, highschool 101 my friend

Girls also usually prefer a guy whos a little older and confident, nothings screams turn off like a little sissy boy who is negative and is scared to do anything.

Last edited by Jehuty77; 2010-08-13 at 10:24.
Jehuty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-14, 23:01   Link #1054
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehuty77 View Post
I know I'm late to the party cause most people watched this 2 years ago,

The entire series was great but really for me, when it was just the 3 of them journeying out, that was when the series was at its best.

The first episode I watched I thought
  • Simon = Shinji Ikari
  • Kamina = Gai Daigoji
  • Yoko = Nice Boobs!

But after a few episodes i was hooked, even if they fell into typical character roles. I really liked that the main character wasn't a little kid for a change and there was actual progress in a relationship(Yoko/Kamina) instead of the typical no progress in a relationship till the last episode.

I had a gut feeling Kamina was gonna die after the kiss though, I just thought "Hmmm this seems way too out of the norm for anime".

Anime never has successful relationships, I think it has to do with the fact anime fans prefer the characters to be single because in some way that makes them more alluring?

Later on I thought the series got to cluttered with characters, so many characters, that not many were developed, when they started killing them off during the final battle i wasnt reallt bothered at all (except for kittan). When it was just a smaller group, you got more attached.

There was never a chance for simon from the beginning, Kamina was the man she was into, if she just jumped ship it would have cheapened the connection she had with Kamina. The fact she stayed true to him after his passing shows he was irreplaceable.

Girls always use guys friends to learn about the guys they like, highschool 101 my friend

Girls also usually prefer a guy whos a little older and confident, nothings screams turn off like a little sissy boy who is negative and is scared to do anything.
I actually disagree somewhat, I was hooked from the beginning of the show, it looked interesting. However, I loved every episode after 8 (few episodes felt like fillers... but were alright I guess) more so than before. Simon just turned into such a kick ass character, Kamina-like, and got shit done. Not necessarily true about Yoko though, she would have fell for Kittan if he had lived, no doubt.
Old 2010-08-16, 10:36   Link #1055
Jehuty77
Legendary Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdarkdark View Post
Not necessarily true about Yoko though, she would have fell for Kittan if he had lived, no doubt.
Kittan was definitely into her but i don't buy she was into him at all(it think this was obvious all along).

When Kittan kissed her there wasn't really any feeling in it(from her side atleast), its not like she reciprocated.

Yoko gave him a loving hug because he was a dear friend she knew wasn't coming home. Its not to say she didn't care for him because she definitely did, it just was never a "romantic" connection.

Kittan also knew she still thought of Kamina.

Sad moment because I thought Kittan was pretty bad ass

Last edited by Jehuty77; 2010-08-16 at 15:01.
Old 2010-08-16, 23:14   Link #1056
Madal
All you need is love.

Quote:

I know what you mean Asside of this that's just to close to shotacon, especialy when the numbers I've put get a little update. As it turnes out Yoko and Kamina are actually of the same age of eighteen! This was an often disregarded rumor poping up here and there, but now it confirmed. Yoko was convinced she was 14 because of the time mesuring system discrepancies and Kamina or Simon don't recognise their age. Simon is forteen nonetheless.

As for Yoko becoming a teacher. It was impiled in the series several times through her dialog and later confirmed in the novels (though I don't know how much that counts since it's AU) that Kamina, and what he told her in ep 7 about the carefree children under an endless sky was a significant part of it. She took this dream and carried it on by teaching and bringing up those children. In that sense she was true to him in the most genuine way.
The scene from the movie was probably to explain where did she get all the knowledge for starting teaching only two years after the war ended. She was a crypto-bookworm.

Quote:
Not necessarily true about Yoko though, she would have fell for Kittan if he had lived, no doubt.
I doubt it. If Kittan hoped for a chance of survival he probably wouldn't confess at all. Before she left Kamina City with every intention to never to go back, they had more than enough time or chances for falling or even to get to know each other better. But It never sparked, why should it now all of a sudden? Because she is in debt? "Because they are similar" is not the most fortunate answear, it's actually kind of insulting for both Yoko and Kittan, it makes him look like a substitution...
I guess that every guy who'd choose to pursue her would have to suck up his pride and just live with the fact that she could never give up her love or desire (oh lord, even desire) for Kamina.
Old 2010-08-17, 18:04   Link #1057
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
I know what you mean Asside of this that's just to close to shotacon, especialy when the numbers I've put get a little update. As it turnes out Yoko and Kamina are actually of the same age of eighteen! This was an often disregarded rumor poping up here and there, but now it confirmed. Yoko was convinced she was 14 because of the time mesuring system discrepancies and Kamina or Simon don't recognise their age. Simon is forteen nonetheless.

As for Yoko becoming a teacher. It was impiled in the series several times through her dialog and later confirmed in the novels (though I don't know how much that counts since it's AU) that Kamina, and what he told her in ep 7 about the carefree children under an endless sky was a significant part of it. She took this dream and carried it on by teaching and bringing up those children. In that sense she was true to him in the most genuine way.
The scene from the movie was probably to explain where did she get all the knowledge for starting teaching only two years after the war ended. She was a crypto-bookworm.

I doubt it. If Kittan hoped for a chance of survival he probably wouldn't confess at all. Before she left Kamina City with every intention to never to go back, they had more than enough time or chances for falling or even to get to know each other better. But It never sparked, why should it now all of a sudden? Because she is in debt? "Because they are similar" is not the most fortunate answear, it's actually kind of insulting for both Yoko and Kittan, it makes him look like a substitution...
I guess that every guy who'd choose to pursue her would have to suck up his pride and just live with the fact that she could never give up her love or desire (oh lord, even desire) for Kamina.
It actually COULD have happened. We will never know since the show does not go that route. In my personal experience some girls I never thought I'd get close to at all and were just friends ended up going out with me. It's simple moments, such as the time where Yoko slipped and Kittan caught her that can make or break a relationship. I personally think it's possible, but I'm welcoming other ideas as well.
Old 2010-08-17, 23:24   Link #1058
Jehuty77
Legendary Hero

Personally I don't agree but to each their own.

What we do know is Yoko Fell head over heels for Kamina, no doubt about it. Kittan was never even on her radar.

During the final arc, it was really obvious Kittan was into her, but she never showed similar feelings regarding him, just a sense of friendship. I think were grasping at straws to say it was more then that.

There is however a solution. Yoko needs to go on a quest to collect the 7 Dragonballs, and Revive both Kamina and Kittan.
Old 2010-08-18, 18:48   Link #1059
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Personally I don't agree but to each their own.

What we do know is Yoko Fell head over heels for Kamina, no doubt about it. Kittan was never even on her radar.

During the final arc, it was really obvious Kittan was into her, but she never showed similar feelings regarding him, just a sense of friendship. I think were grasping at straws to say it was more then that.

There is however a solution. Yoko needs to go on a quest to collect the 7 Dragonballs, and Revive both Kamina and Kittan.
I see where they got Kame Hame Ha from! It was actually a shortened version of Kamina's name. That's how GAR he is.
Old 2010-09-16, 04:42   Link #1060
Chaoszerom

Not sure if this is the right area, but anyway...

What size would Tepperin be compared to the Arc Gurren? I could check the ep where Arc emerges, but i imagine that wouldn't be much help, because of camera angle, etc.

If they are the same size, why did Tepperin move so slowly compared to Arc Gurren Lagann? I bet Arc Gurren Lagann would win in a battle, but shouldn't they be roughly equal?

'Nother thought. I haven't read the rest of the forum, but if the normal Ganmen can't go into water, how can they go into space?
Chaoszerom is offline   Reply With Quote