AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-08-31, 09:43   Link #801
YuriEcchiGirl

Sucker Punch - Such an awesome kick-ass all sexy female action movie!!!
Old 2011-08-31, 10:12   Link #802
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriEcchiGirl View Post
Sucker Punch - Such an awesome kick-ass all sexy female action movie!!!
Did you see the unedited Blu-Ray or the PG-13 DVD? There is a vast difference between the 2 films, and if you haven't seen the unedited version I would urge you to try and find a copy of the Blu-Ray disc if only to see what the real Sucker Punch is supposed to be.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-01, 16:11   Link #803
YuriEcchiGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Did you see the unedited Blu-Ray or the PG-13 DVD? There is a vast difference between the 2 films, and if you haven't seen the unedited version I would urge you to try and find a copy of the Blu-Ray disc if only to see what the real Sucker Punch is supposed to be.
I only have it on DVD (Region 2 as I live in the UK) as I don't own a Blu-Ray player unfortunately
Old 2011-09-09, 05:30   Link #804
calorie

Horrible Bosses - the humor was really crude but it was a decent comedy.
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 15:50   Link #805
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

The Smurfs saw this with my little brother and it was really good & Friends with Benefits <--- hated it ..the acting wasn't bad but the story is >_>
Old 2011-09-10, 20:39   Link #806
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Just watched kill bill... so how did this get a fan base? its so trashy XD
Old 2011-09-11, 15:59   Link #807
calorie

Certified Copy - a good drama, excellent acting
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-14, 12:34   Link #808
Tetra Vaal
Banned

'Hanna' -- it was surprisingly solid, pretty damn neat, in fact. I was a big fan of the film's direction and usage of colors-- not to mention the fluid and nicely choreographed action sequences. I just hated the obvious PG toned down violence I.E. quick cut aways from someone being shot, Bana throwing that knife through that guy's chest from a blurring distance, Blanchett's character's henchman being shot through a blurred door, etc, etc. But other than that it was pretty solid, but did have some filler moments here and there.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-14, 15:22   Link #809
james0246

Contagion - The first act, if not the entire first hour, is downright exciting with fast-paced action and constant growing tension. The second half of the film, though, starts to really drag, and the inevitable conclusion is a little too expected. Still, good performances abound (especially from Matt Damon as a father trying to protect his child during this almost apocalypse, all the while struggling with his grief over the loss of his wife (Paltrow); Jennifer Ehle as a CDC Scientist; and Chin Han as a Chinese epidemiologist), the usual tight direction from Soderbergh, and a decent soundtrack make this a very fun film (I will say that Jude Law’s storyline seems a little false, not that it isn't realistic, but the false drama and suspense it creates is a little too silly compared to the rest of the film). 76/100.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 16:26   Link #810
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Recently watched the new Pirates of the Carribean film and I was pleasantly suprise was very good, a bit annoying at some points like how they keep on missing out parts of Jacks life which seem rather important. other then that awesome
Old 2011-10-06, 20:00   Link #811
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Recently watched Battle LA by chance. It SUCKS. It's no Independence Day, heck it's not even Transformers 3 even if those titles are not good. The action is actually pretty good, but the shaky-camera style makes it VERY HARD to even understand what was going on let alone enjoy them. Believe me, the action in Transformers movies are beautiful piece of cinematography compared to this! Not to mention the PG-13 rating didn't help matters at all. Are we to believe that the LA dwellers are slain in the old fashion way (shot & blasted by missiles) and there's not a single drop of blood on their bodies?

Lastly, I know nothing of how the US army soldiers speak & interact to each other, but I felt the dialogues that they deliver here is very cheesy and too dramatized. For example, one soldier in particular is actually speak to the bodies of other soldiers and said more or less: "You fought well, my friend" out loud in flat voice while the score dramatized it even more. It felt cheap to me. That's just one example. I know that there are a lot of cheesy moments in lots of other movies, but somehow this one really annoys me. I don't know why.
Old 2011-10-06, 20:22   Link #812
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I watched Swing Girls. Nice feel good movie. I enjoyed me a little big band music.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 09:00   Link #813
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Well this is.........just watch.

Old 2011-10-27, 09:29   Link #814
Xagzan

Saw The Thing (1982) recently. So entertaining, and quite freaky too.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 17:07   Link #815
Haladflire65
*Artist

Batman Begins (2005) for the 9th time, cause I just had to show my friends. We're planning to watch TDK tomorrow, which would be the 6th time for me XD
Old 2011-10-27, 17:19   Link #816
Suomi
Kaiba

Tangled for the second time because I love it, and it could be told in exactly the same story line with gender roles reversed, and have it be my friend's life in a nutshell D:

Mean Girls because I needed to see it. Fantastic XD

Persepolis the story of a girl growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution and Iran-Iraq war, told through her eyes. The movie is animated and retains the art style of the book (graphic novel). Personally though I prefer the book.
Old 2011-10-27, 18:10   Link #817
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Just watched kill bill... so how did this get a fan base? its so trashy XD
Like most of Tarantino's movies, Kill Bill draws inspiration from, and references, a plethora of different movies genres and specific other movies. It aims for style over substance, and has the former in droves.

I think it's very enjoyable for what it is, you have to approach it with the right expectations, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Saw The Thing (1982) recently. So entertaining, and quite freaky too.
One of my all-time favorite movies, and Carpenter's best effort, in my opinion. The practical effects are outstanding, the build-up is perfect, and the characters are actually awesome. (Kurt Russel always is.)

Lately, I've watched a few notable movies.

I finally saw Trainspotting. What an excellent movie. It seamlessly blends comedy, drama and grittiness. It's shocking, disgusting, even reprehensible at times, but it sucks you in and won't let go. Imagine Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, add in substance and character development, and you'll get Trainspotting.

I rewatched Halloween, the original, recently, (What better time, right?) and also checked out the first sequel, Halloween II, which I had not seen yet.
I found it very good. As a direct continuation, it does a good job of maintaining the atmosphere. There were a few questionable character decisions, and it did of course fall short when compared to the original classic, but overall, I say give it a watch; it's not bad.
Old 2011-10-27, 18:26   Link #818
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Like most of Tarantino's movies, Kill Bill draws inspiration from, and references, a plethora of different movies genres and specific other movies. It aims for style over substance, and has the former in droves.
Loved Kill Bill. If you look at the sequel as a standalone movie it was good, but since it portrays the occurrences before the first movie, it felt quite out of place, especially with the tone set in the first film.

As for movies I've recently watched, I've been once again craving the movies I saw some years back to fill the void that was my childhood. Movies mean so much more when you don't have the luxury of viewing them as a child, I find.

Ratatouille: A nice and simple story about the weird outcast that rises up to gain the respect of everyone who doubts him. Remy's a great protagonist and alongside the fantastic animation and colourful scenes, it was a fun experience.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: Now, as much I like the newer Harry Potter films, nothing will ever match the charm of the first one for me. The cast have a charming youth to their personalities, and it actually feels like a "new kid in a weird school" situation. The scenes leading up to the discovery of the stone itself were magnificent. True sacrifice, proper stakes and a good blend of emotions made it all so gripping.

Citizen Kane: Love, love, love this movie. It's all about the characterization here, and how a man who starts with a good set of morals can quickly fall with the influences that plague the human race. The camerawork and dialogue are all so brilliant, and it all builds up to that mysterious dying message...Rosebud.

The Butterfly Effect: Acting was quite shoddy but I liked the overall experience. It's overwhelmingly dark and plays around with how screwed up humanity can get, even as a supposedly innocent child. Viewing different circumstances and their following outcomes is very interesting, and the decision to leave things as they are or to try and fix everything is a great motif for conflict to occur. The effects and condition in which the protagonist could "time travel" were overly cheesy though, but it's definitely not a story breaker.
Old 2011-10-27, 18:34   Link #819
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Loved Kill Bill. If you look at the sequel as a standalone movie it was good, but since it portrays the occurrences before the first movie, it felt quite out of place, especially with the tone set in the first film.
The sequel is very imbalanced, there's very little action compared to the first, but it has its awesome moments, and makes for a solid experience overall when you combine them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
The Butterfly Effect: Acting was quite shoddy but I liked the overall experience. It's overwhelmingly dark and plays around with how screwed up humanity can get, even as a supposedly innocent child. Viewing different circumstances and their following outcomes is very interesting, and the decision to leave things as they are or to try and fix everything is a great motif for conflict to occur. The effects and condition in which the protagonist could "time travel" were overly cheesy though, but it's definitely not a story breaker.
I watched that one for the first time around a decade ago, and have rewatched it once since. It is a solid movie, competently tackling their interesting themes, and it's probably the only movie I've ever liked that has Ashton Kutcher as a lead. The only scene I absolutely detested was the scene with the fortune teller, so incredibly cheesy and out of touch with the rest of the movie's tone.
Old 2011-10-27, 18:46   Link #820
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
The sequel is very imbalanced, there's very little action compared to the first, but it has its awesome moments, and makes for a solid experience overall when you combine them.
Definitely agree. That's why I always viewed them as two separate movies instead of having them play upon each other.

Quote:
I watched that one for the first time around a decade ago, and have rewatched it once since. It is a solid movie, competently tackling their interesting themes, and it's probably the only movie I've ever liked that has Ashton Kutcher as a lead. The only scene I absolutely detested was the scene with the fortune teller, so incredibly cheesy and out of touch with the rest of the movie's tone.
Fortune...teller? Was this in a special version, because I don't remember one from when I saw it. My mind could be drawing a blank, but I really don't remember a fortune teller. >.<

Tags
live-action, movie, movies