AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-07, 08:35   Link #21
4Tran

Both Alto and Ranma have the surname of 早乙女. In Alto's case, it doesn't take someone with gender issues to be annoyed when teased the way he was. From what we know of his character, he's both serious-minded and very goal oriented. Such people often don't take well to getting teased. As far as I can tell, the onnagata thing is just a nifty character hook that allows the audience to easily get into his character.
Old 2008-04-07, 12:05   Link #22
changeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
Eheh. Family name Saotome, sensitive about gender issues... I smell huge crossover potential. Be afraid...

(and yes, I know they most likely use different kanji, but that never mattered to anyone who wanted to write fanfic anyway...)

SP
Actually the same kanji. It literally means rice-planting girls..

Weird as it is, it is a real Japanese family name.

Quote:
Both Alto and Ranma have the surname of 早乙女. In Alto's case, it doesn't take someone with gender issues to be annoyed when teased the way he was. From what we know of his character, he's both serious-minded and very goal oriented. Such people often don't take well to getting teased. As far as I can tell, the onnagata thing is just a nifty character hook that allows the audience to easily get into his character.
However, you can also take the overreaction by Alto in this issue as an indication for his internal desire for cross-dressing, as in the case of a certain character in an anime that ended Dec last year. For now, it is hard to say which interpretation is correct. We can wait and see. Human's mind is truly complicate.
Old 2008-04-07, 20:45   Link #23
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Truly doubt that it would happen in a Macross or Gundam title. That is in the realm of fanfic only.

Onnagata is a neat way to justify the "princess" comment which was omitted in the final version of episode 1 and link it to Japanese culture and not worry about the crossdressing slurs to the character.

Aruto's bishonen design is made to appeal to the females viewers also like the male characters of Gundam 00.
Old 2008-04-08, 02:03   Link #24
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Aruto's bishonen design is made to appeal to the females viewers also like the male characters of Gundam 00.
I agree.

and for some unknown reason, i keep thinking this is a subtle jab at Gundam, everytime Alto rebuffs another "you look like a girl!" jib.

But if he starts going emo, i'll just hope his valkyrie doesn't upgrade itself with n-jam cancellers, dragoons and Justice lazar systems.

Old 2008-04-08, 09:46   Link #25
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
this character's design screams of female audience bait.
where are the real male lead like cobra, goku, ryo saeba etc etc.

hope this character will devellope correctely otherwize this could jeopardize my interrested in macross
Old 2008-04-08, 17:25   Link #26
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

If we're lucky Mikhail might turn out REAL cool, we've already seen his teeth ping, that's coolness territory right there.

Also Alto seems to have GAR potential to me, he certainly seems to ooze passion and determination.

Last edited by DonQuigleone; 2008-04-09 at 04:38. Reason: Excessive use of Capital letters ^^
Old 2008-04-09, 04:50   Link #27
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
If we're lucky Mikhail might turn out REAL cool, we've already seen his teeth ping, that's coolness territory right there.
Roy Focker material right there.
Old 2008-04-10, 03:16   Link #28
Zekori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
Roy Focker material right there.
If we're going by the original series I'd have to vote more towards Maximilian vibes more than anything when I remember the whole Milia video game challenge.
Old 2008-04-10, 05:36   Link #29
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

He could go towards either, mostly cause with regards to women they were both similiar (absolute ladies men, Max could tell a womens bust size ON SIGHT, while playing a challenging game AT THE SAME TIME, the man was a legend, Roy speaks for himself). He won't be a rehash though, he tends to tease a lot, which Roy and Max didn't do as much. He certainly is Ace material though.
Old 2008-04-10, 11:17   Link #30
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekori View Post
If we're going by the original series I'd have to vote more towards Maximilian vibes more than anything when I remember the whole Milia video game challenge.

your the second person who pointed that out to me. dammn you.

i knew that. just....erm.....testing you out.

anyway lanca brother is roy material.
Old 2008-04-10, 16:10   Link #31
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

That he may be, but we haven't see him do much yet other than blast aliens, he certainly is the most senior pilot shown though, possibly qualifying as a Roy
Old 2008-04-11, 00:15   Link #32
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post

anyway lanca brother is roy material.
Skull Leader with a huge death flag waving due his close quarter kill in episode 2. Yep, that's Roy.

He also seemed to enjoy himself too much in the battlefield.
Old 2008-04-11, 00:39   Link #33
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

I almost shed a tear when Luca was talking to Ozma.

SKULL ONE is back baby!
Old 2008-04-11, 04:56   Link #34
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Alto looks similar with the guy in D.Gray-Man hehehe
also, prettyboy hardcore mecha pilot... well, let's see what happens.
Other than that it is too early to judge the character,
but from the 2 episodes, he seems like an introvert, with a sad face most of the time
it's probably cuz something from his past is shadowing him.
and there are a lot mecha show starts with kids accidentally become a newbie pilot and end up being an ACE, also the typical father figure character out there tougher him up and become his mentor.... lol, typical... but i will still watch the show, cuz the mech fight alone will be worth it
Old 2008-04-11, 07:00   Link #35
Westlo
Lets be reality

*watches OP*

I don't blame Alto for having a sad face
Old 2008-04-12, 10:32   Link #36
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrana View Post
and there are a lot mecha show starts with kids accidentally become a newbie pilot and end up being an ACE
Well in defense of Macross, Hikaru was in the flying circus before he joined SDF and Alto is an aerial acrobat a bit more realistic compare to some other mecha anime

Also neither pilot manage to gun down any enemies early on if i m not wrong, although Alto is a bit better trained than Hikaru (atleast he didnt destroy Ranka's house going into humanoid form)
Old 2008-04-12, 13:46   Link #37
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Don't forget that Hikaru doesn't become the top guy either, this isn't gundam after all (I swear the top way to select new pilots is to wait for someone to accidentally piot your top model)
Old 2008-04-12, 16:58   Link #38
Zekori

Quote:
Don't forget that Hikaru doesn't become the top guy either, this isn't gundam after all (I swear the top way to select new pilots is to wait for someone to accidentally piot your top model)
Hikaru sorta does, he does climb through several promotions in the series and does become the successor for the VF-1S (can't remember if he takes over the Skull Squadron, however).

But the growth of that level wasn't much like Gundam where someone hops onto an experimental machine (With a manual just on the pilot seat.. of course by chance) and plot devices are battled with sudden power ups that are common on gundam.

Although thats comparing to the original SDF Macross, Macross 7 was a bit "" at times.
Old 2008-04-12, 17:06   Link #39
Westlo
Lets be reality

But Hikaru isn't the top pilot since we all know Maxmillian Jenius is the superior pilot And Millia Jenius would be #2.
Old 2008-04-12, 17:37   Link #40
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
hehe, ye, i guess it is bit too early to judge.
and i have to say Macross fighting scene is better than Gundam..
Closed Thread