AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 30 44.12%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 26.47%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 20.59%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 7.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-04, 10:57   Link #101
klare

i believe Shun will be back... after this Saki may become more interested in learning about the truth, not just about Shun
Old 2012-12-04, 11:02   Link #102
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
i believe Shun will be back... after this Saki may become more interested in learning about the truth, not just about Shun
That is if they will make this uniquely an anime adaptation.. But since a lot of changes/alterations from the original has already been made... as some says.... I hope you're right. Well, that base from the earlier post or rather complaints...

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-12-04 at 19:00.
Old 2012-12-04, 18:57   Link #103
Darkmatterx76

I don't think it was just Shun's introverted nature that did him in. He said in the previous episode that he believed that the adults knew about everything that happened and had been watching them all this time. That is A LOT of stress for someone to handle every day for two years.

One thing I don't get is the previous episode where Shun seems to send out some sort of wave of energy that causes the visiting leader to leave the room. When this happens they zoom in on Shun's face and he makes this evil little grin as if he did it on purpose. Maybe I'm just misreading the expression because of the art style because that doesn't fit with Shun's character at all, even Karma Shun.

My last little thought. A lot is explained now but I still don't see a valid reason to "vanish" children that have weaker Cantus powers. If anything, Shun's case shows that a society of Cantus users isn't really viable and will probably some day lead to the end of humanity, or humanity as they know it. If anything, they should be trying to get rid of people with high PK and letting people with weak/no PK have children to try to cut off this current branch of evolution.
Old 2012-12-05, 05:40   Link #104
CJ_Walker

:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
Well, unless this was dragonball I think he's most likely gone for good. . .the other kids who were spirited away didn't come back, why would shun?

Wouldn't that cheapen the whole arc?

We already have one plot armoured character, we really don't need another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmatterx76 View Post
My last little thought. A lot is explained now but I still don't see a valid reason to "vanish" children that have weaker Cantus powers. If anything, Shun's case shows that a society of Cantus users isn't really viable and will probably some day lead to the end of humanity, or humanity as they know it. If anything, they should be trying to get rid of people with high PK and letting people with weak/no PK have children to try to cut off this current branch of evolution.
but then the queerrats would probably kill the humans since they have no pk powers, Otherwise, good point, two years of constantly being watched for fear of death. . .that would mess up anyone really.

Yes I do believe that eventually that kind of society would crumble, eventually, a pk user would be born that would be so powerful that nothing could stop it, then the village/society would be doomed again, he could be so powerful to alter his own dna so that he doesnt have the death feedback thing or whatnot, and just rape face, take a wife, and genghis khan that shit all over Japan, or whatever landmass he happens to be on.

There would have to be a solution to this whole pk thing, thats a lot better than what the village has gotten...

or they could just give up and see what happens lol, maybe in the future pk users would be able to find balance, and control even their subconscious in ways that allow them to live peacefully with other beings on the planet
Old 2012-12-05, 05:50   Link #105
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmatterx76 View Post
I was under the impression that weaker children were culled cause they posed a risk of uncontrolled PK use.
Old 2012-12-07, 23:26   Link #106
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
@Forsaken Identity

A few key points.

1. The main reason I used the term "true love" was to differentiate it from the love that Shun felt for Satoru, and that Saki felt for Maria. In other words, by "true love" I basically meant "actual, completely sincere, romantic love".

Now, I think that Shun loves Satoru... as a friend. And I think that Saki loves Maria... as a friend. But I do get the impression that Shun doesn't feel as strongly for Satoru as Satoru feels for him, and that Saki doesn't feel as strongly for Maria as Maria feels for her.

So with Shun/Saki, you get a more perfect mutuality, imo. In other words, the intensity and sincerity of the romantic love that Shun feels for Saki is matched by the intensity and sincerity of the romantic love that Saki feels for Shun.

I get the impression that we agree on this (at least through the first 10 episodes). And so, semantic issues aside, we largely agree on my intent behind the term "true love".
I agree with the parts about Shun's and Saki's feelings for each other being genuinely romantic. I don't agree with the implication that Shun's feelings for Satoru were not genuine though, and I had the impression that Maria knew very well all along that her and Saki's relationship was a fleeting one (her intonation, the playful way she asks Saki that they're "always going to be together, right?" when Shun and Satoru break up etc.), and then there's her behavior in episode 11 which kind of confirms that she doesn't really see Maria as a genuine romantic interest imo.

Quote:
2. The argument that Saki didn't spend a lot of time with Shun seems... highly questionable to me. I mean, we're talking about close childhood friends here who are both part of a seemingly pretty small rural village. They're people who have been going to the same small school for several years, and are part of a pretty tight-knit group of five friends. As someone who grew up in a place similar to this (in a small town of just over a thousand people), I can tell you that even a person as introverted as Shun is going to be known pretty well by his closest friends in school. There's just no hiding away completely when you live in a place that rural.

I mean, you write about Shun and Saki almost like Saki was this lovestruck girl that happened to be in the same class as Shun, but never got up the courage to talk much with him, and hence was secretly harboring all of these unrequited feelings.

And that just doesn't fit with the first few episodes of the anime, which presents Shun, Saki, Satoru, Maria, and Mamoru as really good friends with each other.
She didn't spend a lot of time with him as a love interest. I didn't intend to write of Saki as this love-struck girl who only knew Shun from afar in the physical sense. I intended to write of her as this love-struck girl only knew Shun from afar in the metaphysical sense. She wasn't really all that "close" to him even though she spent time around him and the same scene in the anime which presents the group together as good friends also establishes Shun as being a bit of an oddball lost in thoughts and clearly different and aloof from the rest.

Quote:
3. This final point is a bit tangental, but I'm going to raise it anyway. I get the impression that "true love" represents a sort of platonic ideal of romantic love to you. With that in mind, I think you're a bit too strictly adherent to your "test of time" approach, especially when it comes to evaluating anime and its characters.

9 times out of 10, anime deals with adolescent relationships. About equally often, we don't get to see characters age over the span of decades (this show will somewhat ironically be an exception to that). So it seems to me that your insistence on the "test of time" when it comes to "true love" would result in really lowering the emotional strength and impact of a lot of anime shows and a lot of prominent anime pairings. At a meta-level, I think this works very much contrary to what the writers and producers of various anime shows are intending for their audience to take away from them.

That's just something that I think you might want to consider when evaluating anime romances in the future, particularly ones focusing on teenaged characters.
Does it really matter whether or not I use the phrase "true love" to describe the romance? I presented with you an arbitrary example of young martyrs precisely to make it clear that I don't question that the young teens in anime that feel for each other feel for each other strongly. After all, I am not cruel enough to suggest that had young martyrs not died young, they would have very likely turned into corrupt politicians or just died meaningless deaths caught up in a futile and ugly power struggle with their former kin or just drop out of the game and tell tales of nostalgia and ideals to the young ones. In much the same vein, I can't possibly deny the strength of love a teen feels for another even though there is ample evidence to suggest that most such love is going to end up down the drain, sometimes with very dire consequences but mostly just as naive idealistic love that people grow out of but recall nostalgically here and there.

The "test of time" is superfluous in its own way; after all, time both heals wounds that would never have healed otherwise and rupture hearts that would never have otherwise. That a relationship has survived the test of time speaks good things for the relationship but a relationship doesn't always have time on it's side and I know that full well. Who gets enamored with who isn't really going to follow logic anyway. There are so many things at play that it's going to be near impossible for any romance to truly deserve the title of "true love", but that's just fine and dandy because I can enjoy the romance without giving it such pretentious labels. There is nothing wrong with characters being in love with somebody today and somebody else some other day, so long as the love was genuine. I actually hold the opinion it's even possible for polyamorous relationships to be built around genuine love from all participants. What matters is honesty and taking the decision to be in the relationship out of free will while perfectly understanding all the implications. It's this part about perfectly understanding all the implications and still being okay with it that's most subjective and as I already conceded, you can push it to the point where no romance can satisfy it but it doesn't really matter because those who are in love are going to enjoy it while it lasts (or the pain it causes when it falls apart or of unrequited love or of the agony of having never professed etc.) and it's good, healthy drama for the bystanders either which way.
Old 2012-12-09, 17:40   Link #107
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Shun's costume is beautiful. I don't why he had to wear a mask... Since he was supposed to be all alone, but hey, I like the design so I won't complain that much.
Old 2012-12-12, 20:14   Link #108
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

An absolutely remarkable but truly sad episode this one was in an epic scale.

This is the episode that gives the concrete explanations about what karma demons and fiends are, and where do they come from.

Spoiler:
Old 2013-01-07, 11:40   Link #109
Eragon
Still Alive

Holy shit isn't this a late reply,

................I don't feel..............anything He was about to die in this ep and there were more shots of Saki's curves and ass than her face. Even her expressions seemed forced. Wtf? How much time did both of them spend together to bring in any kind of.....tragic feeling in this episode? Would have worked better if Satoru was the one dying since he's gone through a lot with Saki to make his passing sad for her.
This is just so,..................flat emotionally. And Triple_R, with all due respect, this is NOWHERE NEAR TTGL's climax. There is too little character development between Saki and Shun.
I'm absolutely stunned to see so many found this sad and even tragic.
Old 2013-01-07, 13:57   Link #110
kuromitsu

I never had the impression that Shun and Saki were supposed to be a sort of Romeo and Juliet type tragic romance, and that Shun's death was sad because of that. Sure, there's an element of "poor kids, they loved each other" in it, but I think the emphasis was more on Saki's feelings for Shun, Shun's personal tragedy which I think is bone-chilling and very sad, and of course the revelations and the effect Shun's death has on the plot. Shun and Saki were never supposed to have a passionate romance and this episode wasn't supposed to be about tragic lovers separated by death or somesuch.

That said, I do think that while the episode was atmospheric and engaging at first watch, it doesn't really have the same effect on consequent viewings. :/ One of the reasons is, as I mentioned somewhere else, how it was much less visceral than it could've been. The style of Tomiko's flashbacks about the akki and the gouma in ep 12 would've been much better here. Saki's poses were pretty theatrical sometimes, and all that focus on her crotch and ass was ridiculous and distracting. -_-) Seriously, Shun is having important exposition on important matters, but the director seems more interested in panning over Saki's sexy backside as she randomly leans over with her butt jutting out? I have a feeling the director would've made her naked if he could've found an excuse for it. Wtf Yamauchi, some more restraint please. (That was a very awkward composition, too.)

Everyone's saying that Yamauchi's style fit this episode more than ep 5, but after rewatching ep 10 I found I was more okay with ep 5, and I'm kind of dreading which episode he'll do next. I really hope it's not going to be the one with the summer festival, but I think that's the most likely. -_-)

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2013-01-07 at 14:08.
Old 2013-01-08, 12:56   Link #111
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Holy shit isn't this a late reply,

................I don't feel..............anything He was about to die in this ep and there were more shots of Saki's curves and ass than her face. Even her expressions seemed forced. Wtf? How much time did both of them spend together to bring in any kind of.....tragic feeling in this episode? Would have worked better if Satoru was the one dying since he's gone through a lot with Saki to make his passing sad for her.
This is just so,..................flat emotionally. And Triple_R, with all due respect, this is NOWHERE NEAR TTGL's climax. There is too little character development between Saki and Shun.
I'm absolutely stunned to see so many found this sad and even tragic.
Different people different reactions

Anyway for me it's not his relationship with Saki. It has nothing to do with Saki.....it's the utter helplessness of the situation that is tragic. Hashimoto-Appelbaum sufferers have the cruelest fate of all, warping everything around them unable to stop it and that's what's sad for me. Look at his slow degenerating spiral from the start to his final end.

Quote:
I really hope it's not going to be the one with the summer festival, but I think that's the most likely. -_-)
As long as they don't screw up the violence in that one...
Old 2013-01-08, 13:39   Link #112
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Different people different reactions

Anyway for me it's not his relationship with Saki. It has nothing to do with Saki.....it's the utter helplessness of the situation that is tragic. Hashimoto-Appelbaum sufferers have the cruelest fate of all, warping everything around them unable to stop it and that's what's sad for me. Look at his slow degenerating spiral from the start to his final end.

I absolutely couldn't connect to him. Unlike him Satoru was given so much screen time and development that it was easier to connect to him.

And there's another problem why I couldn't feel anything during his breakdown, the infuriating shots of Saki's curves. It's way too much distraction for me.

The helplessness of individuals like him is better portrayed in ep 14, IMO.
Old 2013-01-08, 13:51   Link #113
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
As long as they don't screw up the violence in that one...
For me it's not as much the violence as the "punch" of it, so to speak... Also, it's overall a very emotional part of the story, and I'd hate to see it being toned down by theatric presentation and the director being way too interested in Saki's hip area.
Old 2013-01-08, 23:25   Link #114
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
For me it's not as much the violence as the "punch" of it, so to speak... Also, it's overall a very emotional part of the story, and I'd hate to see it being toned down by theatric presentation and the director being way too interested in Saki's hip area.
I dunno...he seems to excel more in melancholy than shock, if his previous work is anything to go by.