AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

Old 2010-04-10, 21:03   Link #901
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Second episode was tons better than the first. The part where the characters took turns "dying" was really funny for me, so I guess that says something about my sense of humor. Especially the fates of Hinata and Fujimaki (during the commercial break) had me giggling.

I'm with almost everyone else about Angel. She's either extremely misunderstood or in a position with little control or choice. I wouldn't be surprised if she becomes or is revealed to be a woobie. In fact, I rather hope it happens.

Also, I think this is the first Key story to have more male characters than female. Perhaps they have finally caved in to the universal appeal of bishounen. Not that I mind, at all.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 21:23   Link #902
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I also felt sorry for Tenshi this ep. She got a bullet to the leg and blown up numerous times just to take out a munitions factory. She's also one of the main characters we know the least about next to Otonashi.

Yuri is just doing the extension of the big sister role imo. She couldn't protect her sibs so she's doing it with the new substitute family at school. Another manisfestation of not being able to move on. I wonder if she got killed in a gang related fight when she was in high school.

Loved the OP. I hope we get to see Tenshi fly soon.
Old 2010-04-10, 21:26   Link #903
Fishfood1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Violet View Post
This pic look like they're siblings thought.... maybe they are...?
But that would be nearly impossible.
wouldn't it be fun if Tenshi is actually her imoto who were killed in epi 2?
but unfortunately, the hair color doesn't match, what a shame

roof>bed
Fishfood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 21:49   Link #904
Free
Pro Procrastinator
*Fansubber

Some lighthearted fun from the 4koma, reproduced from Sumisora's Chinese scanlation to English using my non-existent photoshop skills. There aren't any spoilers, as these are just mindless silliness.

Up -> down, right -> left. AB 4koma chap 3, fyi.

Spoiler for AB haters need not clickty click:
Spoiler for Click if you are a Key fanboi/gal:
Spoiler for These are actually the funniest so far:
Spoiler for Excessive gore...?:
Spoiler for Rated R for Ridiculously Cute:
Old 2010-04-10, 21:49   Link #905
OkamiNoKaze

Well, watched episode 2, I really liked it a lot. Maybe it's because I finished the series not long ago, but for the most part it reminded me of Tower of Druaga a bit. Loved the classic Indy Boulder trap, and even more the laser beam chamber from Resident Evil. Yuri is very cool, in her fight with Angel. I'm also liking Shiina more and more as well, especially her standing on the sword in the ending, I rather like the ending as well as the opening. That would be cool if the opening is different every time.
Old 2010-04-10, 21:50   Link #906
Rin.Hikari

The second episode was better than the first.
I was wondering, that pink haired girl with long hair and short pigtails that appeared at the end of the 8th pv, is that Yui? She isn't shown in the opening, which is odd. Is it just me, or does she resemble one of Yuri's sisters in the flashback?
Rin.Hikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 22:25   Link #907
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
ep 2

Well it didn't disappoint that's for sure. The OP "My Soul, Your Beats!" by Lia had a nice feel to it with a nice piano slow melody add in a few beats speed up the temp and you've got yourself one hell of an OP. I think it actually fits the mood of series as well. I was hoping we wouldn't get the generic Jpop song but Lia was a great choice as her voice is mature yet soft.

I am absolutely amazed at the organization of S3 they have one hell of a set up going on. Screw not being a real army they are REAL ARMY they may make some armies in real life look like militia lol. I did ask myself where the hell they got all those weapons from in the first episode and too my surprise it was answered. A subterranean factory named GUILD not bad at all.

The traps were just damn funny as each got taken out by their own traps. The advantage is you don't have to worry about them since they cant die that's the good part but you still get to feel the pain that's the bad part i don like pain its ruins my day. I totally got a Resident Evil feel when they got stuck in the room with the lasers and im sure that exactly what they were parodying lol.

What i did not expect was the very personal side we got from Yuri so soon about her life before she was killed (how she was killed she side stepped) it was just damn sad i was taken aback by the scene with the blood on the clock and how those bastards killed children. The police arrived 30min later thats just cruel the murders killed a child every 10 mins. The way set up for Otonoshi and Yuri to be alone was good now i wonder has Yuri ever told this story to any of the other members. The set allowed us to see a side of Yuri other than what the others see it also gave us her reason for fighting against God if there is one. After hearing her story can any of us blame her for rebelling.

I kind of felt bad for Tenshi this time around. I mean she got worked pretty hard after getting through all those traps she got shot then had to go 1 on 1 against Yuri who can actually fight hand to hand in close quarters at least well enough that Tenshi had to use the Guard skill: delay to get the upper hand. I really thought they were going to blast the living shit out of her with that cannon but it blew up instead lol.

Noda gets the funny as hell kill of the week this guys has bad luck with swinging hammers.

very well done just taking the series as it is.
Old 2010-04-10, 22:26   Link #908
Leo Keichi

This anime is better than I expected. Episode 2 was really funny, and the quality of the animation was surprising to me, it's OVA level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchi View Post
Maybe, but that could still be enmarked into a "comma fantasy dream" setting, as some may speculate already (see that vital constants-like line below the title of the anime? That's gotta have something to do with the truth, paranoia paranoia).
Today when I saw the vital lines I was thinking about it having to do with Tenshi's heartbeats, like her wanting to become human or something. But now that you mentioned about comma, I think that may be true, specially considering this is a Key story.
Leo Keichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 23:48   Link #909
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

So managed to get to Episode 2 finally, and....

It's more hilarious, than anything. The Yuri flashback feels a bit out of nowhere, but I suppose they have no choice but to rush things a bit. As for the rest of the episode....inb4 Leeroy Jenkins reference.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 23:50   Link #910
chaos_animagic

OVA level... reminds me of Bakemonogatari's HD quality.

Ep2...
The kids that got killed... made me sad.
Tho the 30 mins police arrive does have some truth in it... since the minimum time for police to arrive to a crime scene is around 15 mins.
I wonder tho... how did the police even know a crime was being done? there was no alarm or anything and they were surrounded by nature so that means there's very little neighbors or people around.
What my guess is... during that 10 mins, Yuri probably called the police.

Another thing is... shouldn't they have gotten a Babysitter... since the kids aren't that old yet to stay in the house without grown ups. (especially since the parents are wealthy, they could afford bunch of babysitters)

More thing... I wonder if the kids opened the door or did they busted in... (if the kids opened the door even tho they knew those guys were suspicious - as said by Yuri, than... it's their own fault cause they should have called the police right there) (if it's busted in, than I guess the kids couldn't react fast enough)

My "feelings" through out this episode went...
Excited (the OP)
Happy (the episode started)
Funny (people dying one by one)
Sad (Yuri's past)
Wow (big guild room)
Awww (Tenshi got shoted)
OOO (the fighting scene)
LOL (the cannon blow up)
HAHA more (the fat guy's cloth fell off)
Normal (the episode ended)

~Leeroy Jenkin reference~? (this reference is of one person running into a crowd of bad things and ends up dooming everyone else)
I don't think people dying one after another counts (or even the cannon blowing up, since it's everyone at same time and not one person)
Or are you speaking from the Tenshi's point of view? (but that won't work either... since there's only one Tenshi)
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 00:03   Link #911
Wrath88
Kissing...

Let's sum it up:
1. OP rocks (animation and music-wise)
2. Deaths were funny, especially the guy who made the prediction and weak-against-cuteness Shiina
3. Yuri's past explains quite a bit
4. Guild is HUGE. HOW LONG HAS YURI BEEN FIGHTING???
5. Tenshi vs Yuri was nice to watch
6. Weapon source explained

I wonder about Tenshi's skills. Distortion seems to affect only high velocity projectiles, or Otonashi wouldn't have been able to hit her. If that's the case, why not make a trap that dumps cement on her? Though it would REEEAAALLLY suck if one of their own gets caught in it (given the limits of recovery, he'd be permanently stuck in there)
Old 2010-04-11, 00:24   Link #912
chilenoloco

Angel beats music

Just heard the OP for it, pretty good, still doesnt beat the song in the first episode when they had the concert though. Anyone else think so?

On this topic, anyone got any info on the song in the first episode, and the opening? What they are called/Where I can get them/when they are going to be released?
chilenoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 00:42   Link #913
tyciol
*Artist

It's cool what a huge following something can get by the 2nd ep, I guess many were looking forward to this. Looks exciting.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 01:05   Link #914
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyciol View Post
It's cool what a huge following something can get by the 2nd ep, I guess many were looking forward to this. Looks exciting.
Yeah. I can't help but feel that Angel Beats needs a sub-forum to absorb this popularity. But maybe not, since there are only a few characters with any depth to talk about. I just can't choose. It's a borderline case, in other words.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 01:28   Link #915
orangejuicetang

They mention it's been years since they used Old Guild, and since Yuri was the first to rebel, she's obviously been fighting for years? That's about all I know.

Is it just me, or were those criminals needlessly sadistic and stupid? I mean, first in their rage that they can't find any valuables they smash the windows and tv's. They couldn't have stolen the tv and sold that? And committing an extremely pointless murder during a theft was such a stupid thing to do. What does that accomplish, except fuck you over even more when you get arrested?

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 01:56   Link #916
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Is it just me, or were those criminals needlessly sadistic and stupid? I mean, first in their rage that they can't find any valuables they smash the windows and tv's. They couldn't have stolen the tv and sold that? And committing an extremely pointless murder during a theft was such a stupid thing to do. What does that accomplish, except fuck you over even more when you get arrested?
Actually, that's not so different from reality. I've heard of homicides that were committed for worse reasons, or sometimes for no reason at all. As sad as that sounds.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 02:09   Link #917
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Is it just me, or were those criminals needlessly sadistic and stupid?
Having a close tie with law enforcement for years now, the types of things that criminals can and will do is simply mind-boggling, and some case files you read can be rather terrifying. And trying to ascertain logic to the actions of criminals of that class out for blood is a rather futile affair - even a mere traffic offender will sometimes run from police, thus turning what should've been a mere ticket into charges of evading arrest. And when they consciously make the choice to dig their graves deeper, these criminals are either extremely stupid with no regard for their own welfare, or extremely confident of their ability not to get caught.

And as DeX-kun mentioned, crimes really need no rational reason to be commited, for they can be evoked by even the smallest and mundane of actions. Hell, here in the Philippines people have been literally shot to death just by being off-pitch in a karaoke bar.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 02:09   Link #918
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Yep, also typically criminals that have to steal are usually not the most rational or intelligent of people.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 02:27   Link #919
orangejuicetang

I understand that. But what bugged me is that they broke into what seemed to be a upper class house with intent to steal, but couldn't find anything? They smashed the damn tv instead of stealing it? What the hell exactly were they expecting to steal? Pulling that twisted idea wasn't just sadistic, it was pointless as well.

I mean, fuck I don't even know after rewatching the scene. They break into a rich house in the middle of the afternoon? Yeah, it's probably just extreme stupidity.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 02:35   Link #920
Skane
Anime Snark

TVs are not really portable.

Cheers.

Tags
key