AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-07-12, 11:31   Link #321
CWW
Lurker

I had the same problem, but come episode 6 and onward, the pieces will fall together and blow you away.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 08:52   Link #322
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
After watching the first 5 eps, I like the concept and story style, but there are just some elements I can't stand, like how Ozu always ends up screwing the protagonist up in some way(I like his char, but it still comes off annoying sometimes how his actions just messes up the prog). I also am getting tired of the "repeat" mechanic, maybe because it feels like nothing is really ever happening or moving forward.
Observation is the key, and faith that the pieces will fall into place. The story actually moves forward, but how it does so only comes together in the latter episodes.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 21:02   Link #323
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I've so I finished watching this today, and I thought it ended pretty well. Just as you guys said, everything came together at the end.

Ep 6-8 were a refreshing change, and I liked the different angle the story took from the first 5 eps. I hated the Keiko story though =0\. Him + doll is just creepy. Anyway, it was nice, but I can't say for sure whether or not I enjoyed this or not. I think the whole premise of the story went over my head, but that's not to say I didn't understand it, esp after reading some of last comments here. For me, these kind of stories are better left to be watched one at a time, analyzing each ep bit by bit. Unfortunately, I wanted to watch it all in one sitting, and that usually causes me to turn my brain off and just watch. I think that caused me to like this less than I normally would have than if I was watching it on a week-by-week basis, esp since, irl, I can't STAND repetition like this, so watching ep after ep made watching a bit painful =0\.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 23:25   Link #324
speedpop
the sky remains the same

Absolutely loved it. I was anticipating this quite a lot before it came out and life went all busy so I couldn't watch any of it until a few days ago.

It is very hard to find an anime that will literally make me burst out with laughter, which is a shame because I love comedies but every joke seems dismal in nature these days or is trying to pull off the dumb appeal comedy. But anyway, Yojohan seemed to have that perfect mixture of enticing characters, funny moments (even if they weren't supposed to be but the dialogue had me chuckling away), and a story that once again tied up all the loose bits.

This practically shot right up there near the top of anime that I love, and I've been recommending everyone to get into it. Yes the dialogue is very fast at first and it may seem daunting, but everything seems to click after the end of the episode and it isn't much of a problem later on despite the vocal trigger-happy protagonist.
speedpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 12:15   Link #325
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedpop View Post
Absolutely loved it. I was anticipating this quite a lot before it came out and life went all busy so I couldn't watch any of it until a few days ago.

It is very hard to find an anime that will literally make me burst out with laughter, which is a shame because I love comedies but every joke seems dismal in nature these days or is trying to pull off the dumb appeal comedy. But anyway, Yojohan seemed to have that perfect mixture of enticing characters, funny moments (even if they weren't supposed to be but the dialogue had me chuckling away), and a story that once again tied up all the loose bits.

This practically shot right up there near the top of anime that I love, and I've been recommending everyone to get into it. Yes the dialogue is very fast at first and it may seem daunting, but everything seems to click after the end of the episode and it isn't much of a problem later on despite the vocal trigger-happy protagonist.
I think it's the most brilliant offering by Masaaki Yuasa. Many people seem to agree with me.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 17:20   Link #326
Kiavik

First info and screenshots on the DVD/Bluray-only episodes is here:

http://www.presepe.jp/m44/show/id/esXWDQ_id0U%3D

How is funimation gonna handle those? Webcast them too? I'd love them to
Kiavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 07:53   Link #327
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

We'd be lucky enough if Funimation even releases this show on DVD, let alone BR.
Old 2010-08-23, 07:32   Link #328
Kiavik

Apparently the first dvd/bluray of the series sold very well. We're talking more than 10k copies here, which for an anime is very successful. For an anime like Yojohan, however, it's a miracle, since it has no moe, no gundams and no otaku appeal in it. Needless to say I'm very happy about this
Old 2010-09-08, 19:46   Link #329
kyouray
2D > 3D

Just watched the extra from the 1st BD/DVD :
Spoiler for extra episode:
Old 2010-09-09, 11:18   Link #330
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The special was fun to watch indeed. Loved
Spoiler:
Old 2010-09-14, 12:19   Link #331
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I loled when Ozupus was defeated by that Ice making machine.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 05:51   Link #332
Dop
Mmmm....

Woo-hoo! Beez Entertainment have licenced this for a UK DVD release. That's absolutely fantastic news!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 05:54   Link #333
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

^Yep, along with House of Five Leaves.
Old 2010-11-27, 10:12   Link #334
Kiavik

I NEED this:

Old 2010-11-27, 12:22   Link #335
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

^I'd prefer if it was a full body model though.
Old 2011-03-31, 20:40   Link #336
LusterFlare
Lost.

I finally got around to finishing this great series. It really made me reflect on what I'm doing (or lack thereof) to enjoy my college life.
LusterFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 15:39   Link #337
kyouray
2D > 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterFlare View Post
It really made me reflect on what I'm doing (or lack thereof) to enjoy my college life.
I agree. However there isn't really clubs in my university and I live away from it so I can't really enjoy my college years...
By the way I'm still waiting for BR/DVDs overseas.
Old 2011-07-21, 02:26   Link #338
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Yeah, this show fell off my radar after not really going anywhere after 3 episodes. But after being cajoled by my friend to finish the series... man this show is GENIUS.

That said, I think this show was better off being a movie or something. It's hard to piece stuff together unless you watch it all in a row, and the way the series is structured like a novel, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who got turned off because the first few episodes didn't have a firm grasp on my attention.

Quite sad though that it doesn't seem like it will have a DVD release in NA. One of the series I'd definitely buy without question, and that's saying something nowadays when I almost strictly buy osananajimi series now.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 04:05   Link #339
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
The Tatami Galaxy is an anime that sets out to be a social commentary regarding the problems with setting lofty expectations.

The basic vehicle of the story is that Watashi will relive his two years of campus life with a different club on each experience. Along the way his life gets screwed up by Ozu, occasionally crosses paths with Akashi, and meets whoever else is in any given circle.

Unfortunately, while the differing clubs themselves can stop all of the situational repetitiveness, it seems to have become an excuse to let the characters remain stagnant. Akashi in the first timeline and Akashi in the last is defined as being a snark who hates moths, Watashi merely seeks a Rose-colored campus life, and Ozu simply remains a prankster.

So the characterization was non-existent, but at least their actions could be amusing to watch, right?

However, the characters act exactly the same no matter what situation they're in, calling into question the realism of their behavior. Now, one could make the argument that some people have a firmly placed personality that doesn't change no matter what happens. Which is true. But this is a criticism over their unbending behavior--and consequently, actions--not unbending personality.

In essence the characters are one-dimensional in both personality and actions. One or the other is fine, but both compounded together comes across as very lazy.

But fine. Clearly this anime never intended to have a cast or story worth caring about.

Or did it?

The climax to this show is a character-based one that ties in all of elements established previously and drives home the entire spirit of the show; on a purely directional level it works magnificently. Too bad a lack of sympathy/caring for said character--Watashi--absolutely wrecks any significance the resolution has, for a conflict that became all too obvious after the first three episodes.

The final straw is the quick empowerment Watashi is granted after his epiphany. Apparently having a lot more self-confidence and appreciating what is there can suddenly move someone from hopelessly adrift to swimming against the current. The Tatami Galaxy's demonstration of a new lease on life is hopelessly naive, and ironically goes against the set-in-stone fate tone set throughout the series with a malleable destiny one.

If there's one thing I'd give this anime, it's the intentionally inconsistent and very stylistic art design. It's just a shame that the story is both unengaging and not worth caring about, and my initial impressions of this show were actually quite good. The Tatami Galaxy was certainly unique, but turned out to be crushingly disappointing.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
funimation, noitamina