AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-05-08, 11:43   Link #121
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
If/When one of the other characters actively speaks to Ozu and confirming thus that he exists as an interactive presence and not as an as of yet vague physical existence then I'll resign my stance.
In 20:46 during the first episode, Akashi shouts to Ozu that the river is swollen and that he will die if he jumped in. Jougasaki shouts to Ozu at 20:57 that he is a traitor. The discipline committee student shouts to Ozu that he has nowhere to run at 20:59. At 21:06, Akashi once more asks Ozu if he has done more mischief.

The lower middle part of the shot portrays Akashi shouting to Ozu to get down from the river. This was while Watashi and Ozu were bickering.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-08, 12:00   Link #122
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Not to mention Ozu and Higuchi discussing the editing of his attack documentary with each other in episode 2.

I suspect Ozu is designed not as a figment of Watashi's imagination but more a sort of idealized amalgamation of "that evil friend of yours in college" who you simultaneously feared and hated and admired.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-08, 12:21   Link #123
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Not to mention Ozu and Higuchi discussing the editing of his attack documentary with each other in episode 2.

I suspect Ozu is designed not as a figment of Watashi's imagination but more a sort of idealized amalgamation of "that evil friend of yours in college" who you simultaneously feared and hated and admired.
This was what I was thinking of. He is a palpable existence, but an amalgamation.
Old 2010-05-08, 12:53   Link #124
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
That's my point. While he did capitulate to Ozu, it was more of the ultimate resignation, an epiphany of his inexorable failure than sheer wickedness on his part, something that was much different than the first few episodes.
I see your point, although I would say Watashi acted more out of bitterness rather than sheer wickedness in the first two episodes. The wickedness was mostly provided by Ozu.

About the brake, I remembered Ozu cutting something and the contraption starting to move right after that so I was under the impression that it was what caused it to move. But after looking at the scene again, there's no way that could have been a brake since it was simply attached with a string and Ozu slides away on it.
Old 2010-05-08, 13:04   Link #125
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Right. I must rectify that. I do agree: it was out of bitterness than wickedness per se, but he was a lot better during the third episode out of sheer resignation. To some extent, he really did improve over his past two incarnations.
Old 2010-05-08, 14:41   Link #126
Serpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
In 20:46 during the first episode, Akashi shouts to Ozu that the river is swollen and that he will die if he jumped in. Jougasaki shouts to Ozu at 20:57 that he is a traitor. The discipline committee student shouts to Ozu that he has nowhere to run at 20:59. At 21:06, Akashi once more asks Ozu if he has done more mischief.

The lower middle part of the shot portrays Akashi shouting to Ozu to get down from the river. This was while Watashi and Ozu were bickering.

Then again, this "Ozu" could have been the protagonist as well. Considering he suffered the same fate as Ozu and conducted the same mischievous actions, all of these could have been directed at him.
Serpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-08, 19:15   Link #127
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

It doesn't happen only in the first episode. How can Ozu be both the one who made the avant-garde films as well as the sound recorder?
Old 2010-05-13, 20:03   Link #128
woodearth
Ramen Hunter

Is the novel also known by the title Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome (夜は短し歩けよ乙女) or is that another novel by the same author?
Old 2010-05-13, 21:39   Link #129
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodearth View Post
Is the novel also known by the title Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome (夜は短し歩けよ乙女) or is that another novel by the same author?
Another novel by the same author. Also it was turned into a manga series. I think there's some connection to Yojou-han (it's like a prequel or sequel or tangentially related... Someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong).
Edit: and a stage play: http://www.duncan.co.jp/web/stage/otome/info.html
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 17:53   Link #130
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for ep 4:
Old 2010-05-14, 23:04   Link #131
Theowne
耳をすませば

Ep4 didn't quite grab me the way the others did. Something in the story and structure, I guess, as the repetition doesn't really bother me (though I wouldn't miss the old lady segment if they got rid of it).

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-14, 23:30   Link #132
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Still waiting for my chance to watch episode 4 but man, one can only be considered so blessed to have someone like Akashi to try and prop you up every time you somehow fuck up your cosmic reset.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 07:16   Link #133
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Ep4 didn't quite grab me the way the others did. Something in the story and structure, I guess, as the repetition doesn't really bother me (though I wouldn't miss the old lady segment if they got rid of it).
I felt a bit let down by episode four as well despite, or even perhaps because, it strayed a bit from the canonical patterns set down in the first three. It didn't seem quite as repetitive as the first three, or did I miss something vital?

Every week when we'd get to the fortune-teller segment I'd think to myself, "she sure sounds an awful lot like Torogai in Moribito." Well, no surprise, they're both voiced by Mizuhara Rin (nowadays appearing as "Ako Mayama" as in both these shows). At 47, Mizuhara has a smattering of prominent roles on her two resumes, but I thought she added a vital element to Moribito with her wry, sometimes biting tone. Mizuhara tempered that edge with a good dose of compassion and made Torogai a lovable old witch.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 02:58   Link #134
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Did that pot of nabe have doughnut in it?

I think one of the reasons why people didn't like episode 4 as much as the previous is naturally because the setup is a tad different from the ones prior, more of that Watashi's life was going into the shitter the moment he got the flier. Personally I kind of liked it because it wasn't the usual slow decline of Watashi's hope for a rose-colored college life into hell, but an episode showing what if the suckage started the moment he became a disciple. It's actually quite interesting to see how Watashi would act when he wasn't being progressively and oppressively being pushed down into despair when he's already down in the gutter the moment college life began.

We also got some good development on Higuchi, Ozu and that dentistry chick whose name I can't remember for the life of me.

Stupidly it was only in this episode that I realized why the old lady always welcomed Ozu back, it's obviously because this old fortune teller has some power connected to Watashi's cosmic resets. Each time they meet she always notices that Watashi is STILL annoyed and unsatisfied with his life in this reset. She might actually be the one causing his reset. Her biggest words however is when she always indicates there is one specific thing that Watashi should reach for but it seems he never does. This "thing" seems to change with every episode, but there's probably something in common with this thing he should strive to reach with every new reset he gets.

I don't know why but if we exclude Watashi, Akashi's my favorite character in entire series. Her straight-lace, no-nonsense attitude belies a really helpful and accommodating personality that really grows on you, especially when you consider how she's more than willing to help Watashi dig himself out of his own hole (which does sort of fail so far). I don't really get it, sort of a quiet strength of sorts, and I haven't felt a really strong impression on a lead female since Aoba Tsukishima. She's been my favorite female character since 2010 began.

As for Higuchi's song, the bridge duel and that sponge... yeah I gots nothing.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 11:33   Link #135
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

This is my take on the matter.

Akashi is a great character. The fourth episode wasn't as strong as the third, but I liked it anyway. Fujiwara Keiji is also a great voice actor.
Old 2010-05-17, 12:34   Link #136
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Did that pot of nabe have doughnut in it?
That's the thing that shocked you the most in that nabe?

That nabe was crazy, it's like they put everything they could in that pot... fishes, frogs, oranges, strawberries, flowers, pocky, etc...

Quote:
Stupidly it was only in this episode that I realized why the old lady always welcomed Ozu back, it's obviously because this old fortune teller has some power connected to Watashi's cosmic resets. Each time they meet she always notices that Watashi is STILL annoyed and unsatisfied with his life in this reset. She might actually be the one causing his reset. Her biggest words however is when she always indicates there is one specific thing that Watashi should reach for but it seems he never does. This "thing" seems to change with every episode, but there's probably something in common with this thing he should strive to reach with every new reset he gets.
The opportunity dangling in front of his eyes is Akashi's mochiguman that he picked up (he even realized it himself in a previous episode), meaning the key to his happiness is Akashi. And yes, I think the old lady might be the one responsible for the resets, she's even charging him more everytime he fails.
Old 2010-05-17, 23:12   Link #137
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

@MeoTwister

If anything, you now believe you were wrong about Ozu, yes? He's not merely a spectre of Watashi's imagination, is he? :P
Old 2010-05-18, 13:58   Link #138
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I must say I am very disappointed this is not more popular, it really is the best show of this season.

I'm not sure where exactly they are going with this "loop" idea just yet because from the first two episodes I watched, they mirrored each other almost perfectly just with different scenarios. However, they were different enough to keep it interesting unlike a certain Endless Eight.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-21, 10:05   Link #139
Serpit

What the hell. Episode 5 was the weirdest yet.
Serpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-21, 11:25   Link #140
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for ep 5:

Tags
funimation, noitamina