Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-03-12, 10:30   Link #521
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Those reactors are of the American water cooling design rather than the Russian graphite cooling design. They shouldn't have as much to worry about.
And that's what really spread the radiation at Chernobyl. Graphite fires.
Old 2011-03-12, 10:30   Link #522
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
Hydrogen can explode when mixed with air, since hydrogen + air has a low ignition energy requirements. Worse if their is a pure oxygen source.

When you break down water of course you produce the two gases... which again aggravates the problem.

For battery houses they train us to be wary of hydrogen collecting under the battery house roof... which causes an explosion hazard.

The containment building is pretty much similar to a battery house.
Except that this system is a closed system where no oxygen is to be present. Here he's stating that there wasn't reactor container damage, and after that he states that there has been reactor container damage which lead to the hydrogen leak.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 10:32   Link #523
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by haegar View Post
Since somebody actually already quoted german feed I'll add some, I'm unsure what this can mean or not and don't wanna panic, but I find things to be very weird with our news and politicians in comparison to jap news /gov:

I dunno what is goin on here, EITHER both our german media and high ranking government officials are misinformed and making fools out of themselves - OR they are NOT , in which case the japanese government is downplaying things and outright lying about a meltdown taking place:

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/0,1518,750472,00.html

as reported by spiegel.de, our Minister of Environment and Nuclear Safety has openly contradicted the official japanese government position:

my on the fly translation of news: 14.35 (local time germany, aprox 50mins ago) Minister Röttgen suspects that it has come to a meltdown in Fukushima. "According to information available to us, we lean towards/tend to believe a meltdown is taking place there" told Röttgen [the german TV news] WDR. Japanese government is meanwhile dementing News of a meltdown having occured. Alledgedly only the concrete casing, but not the steal enclosure of the reavctor core were damaged by the explosion.

I consider this a highly unusual occurence in international politics. One does not go out and contradict another friendly countries position like that - either he's going nuts or he has good reason to do so. There are reportedly about 120 german citizens living in the general vicinity of Fukushima if I got that right. There is a chance Japanese Gov is downplaying serious event and he refuses to go with it because he feels he has to put up for those german folks there.

In accordance with such a reading/interpretation of this statement, there is another entry reported on same site:

trans: Foreign Minister Westerwelle warns Germans residing in japan: "A departure (TN: from japan) via commercial means should be considered, especially (TN: by citizens) with children." said Westerwelle, who prematurely ended his trip to Hungary due to events in Japan.

While neither of these statements include a totally CLEAR resentment of the offical japanese position I consider them to be ... well highly unusual and weird ... to say the least. Maybe somebody else following events from Germany could comment... either our folks are kinda loosing it, or they apparently have the balls to begin pointing out that things are not as the appear I am very confused
Consider that 80% of our German politicians are making bla bla and mostly what comes out of their mouth is something what they have caught from their employed experts or consultants.

As far as I understood the article. Röttgens assumes a nuclear meltdown according to the information he has.

Guido Westerwelle, the German secretary of state, advises German citizen to use conventional transportation to get out of the catastrophe zone.

Edit: I'll change from German feeds to NHK: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/

at least there is more info and less internal politics...
Old 2011-03-12, 10:39   Link #524
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Any news that there is a melt down going on right now is false, of course there is still a chance but precautions are taken as we speak/lurk to assure it doesn't occur. So far everything is going well and I have fate nothing bad will happen.

As for the responses from awful haters, honestly I was joking about it too but heck even they wouldn't want a meltdown to happen. The chan forums are full of jokes, I take it lightly because personally I think they are just as bad as people only worrying about famous people. specially in a situation in which thousands have died :/ ooh lets hope this one guy made it out because I want my manga.

Lastly wiki is having a death date raid so I heard, without any proper source do not believe anything concerning deaths of famous people
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 10:50   Link #525
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post
Except that this system is a closed system where no oxygen is to be present. Here he's stating that there wasn't reactor container damage, and after that he states that there has been reactor container damage which lead to the hydrogen leak.
Which leads to the question: Where is the hydrogen coming from ?
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 10:56   Link #526
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Water used outside the reactor container probably. It is still very hot in terms of the vapor point on water. If it is hot enough to break the bonds of the steam produced to their component oxygen and hydrogen...well there is your hydrogen and its fuel source...all it needs is a way to ignite it. Assuming it wasn't just an explosion from too much pressure from all the steam.
Old 2011-03-12, 10:57   Link #527
Evil_Sephiroth

Send a message via MSN to Evil_Sephiroth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
Which leads to the question: Where is the hydrogen coming from ?
probably when they released a little radioactive steam to cut down pressure...some Hydrogen went out..and reside over the cement grave of the reactor..but inside the building that collapse
Old 2011-03-12, 10:58   Link #528
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
NHK has good coverage, and from what I hear is neutral, unlike Greek and German TV which is just crap; in between the reporters at BBC seem so disappointed that the scientists also downplay the situation in Fukushima I
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 10:58   Link #529
Evil_Sephiroth

Send a message via MSN to Evil_Sephiroth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Water used outside the reactor container probably. It is still very hot in terms of the vapor point on water. If it is hot enough to break the bonds of the steam produced to their component oxygen and hydrogen...well there is your hydrogen and its fuel source...all it needs is a way to ignite it. Assuming it wasn't just an explosion from too much pressure from all the steam.
yes off course...they can have instilled water too fast and a lot of steam generated
Old 2011-03-12, 11:04   Link #530
Alchemist007
*Author

I've read some of the bigotry too, assholes can go kill themselves in a fire.

I hope the nuclear news doesn't get any worse.
Old 2011-03-12, 11:42   Link #531
solomon

between the terrible acoustics, soft voices of the power company/ safety reps and various nuclear science terms which i am still learning, it's hard to grasp much from this press conference.

According to Asahi Newspaper, at time of explosion 90 people are thought to be exposed to radiation.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 11:47   Link #532
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
new press conference:

they are still in the progress of putting the sea water in place. They are preventing a possible meltdown in order to take action they use the sea water technique to form a shield. (question of the effects if they fail) Even if it fails they don't think it'll effect the 20km that was evacuated but they did it just in case.

The previously injured people (I assume the 4 that got exposed and airlifted earlier) are undergoing treatment. When the explosion happened 4 people got injured who were near the turban or however it is spelled. (I think more people for injured, since previously it was said all people outside during the explosion got radiation, but I believe it was low enough to get washed off)

Damn they speak so soft at the conference :/ something about the power supply that is being set up at the reactors, and 4 pumps that are being used for the sea water (2 are working or 3 not sure because it is hard to hear). And about the water levels in the reactors.. all very technical.

The data is being updated.

They're adding a lot of stats about reaction 1. about depressurizing the reactor.
It is very hard to understand because they talk so soft, but it is all stats and things we already knew.

The radiation hasn't really changed, it is still low. Slowlly it is decreasing, but they are still taking precautions because the presure is still very high though the temperature is low.

That is it so far I believe.

TBS news is saying that the missing train might be found. Also help organisations are being set up right now. There might not be time yet to clean up all the bodies on the beaches.
The tsunami warning has been narrowed further down to tsunami watch in some areas.

Singapore arrived 5 hours ago at Narita to help.
China is sending aid, announced 1 hour ago.
2 hours ago Russia announced to be sending aid.
Also Australia and the USA are shedueled to arrive today.
France is sending help as well.
In North Japan rescue workers have already started (the Japanese ones).

Last edited by -KarumA-; 2011-03-12 at 12:08.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 11:59   Link #533
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
According to Asahi Newspaper, at time of explosion 90 people are thought to be exposed to radiation.
Is that the same 90 listed here?:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/12_57.html
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 12:17   Link #534
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
Singapore arrived 5 hours ago at Narita to help.
China is sending aid, announced 1 hour ago.
2 hours ago Russia announced to be sending aid.
Also Australia and the USA are shedueled to arrive today.
France is sending help as well.
In North Japan rescue workers have already started (the Japanese ones).
Damn, humanity's awesome when they need to be. I'm using this month's grocery fees to help with whatever aid they require. Looks like I get the luxury of "Mommy's home cooking" for a month; my mother offered to help in this manner~
Old 2011-03-12, 12:19   Link #535
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

10000 people suspected of being buried from the Tsunami's mud slides -> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...misanriku.html

this made me sad damn
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 12:40   Link #536
Garet Jax

Is there a preferred relief agency or such thing to make a donation to? It's sometimes hard to tell if the money will get to where you want it if the group isn't actually in the affected country. :\
Garet Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 12:40   Link #537
Father Hentai

Quote:
+++ 17.35 Uhr: Japaner sprechen von lokalem Störfall +++

Die japanischen Behörden haben die Internationale Atomenergiebehörde (IAEA) offiziell informiert, dass die Strahlendosis am Atomkraftwerk Fukushima den zulässigen Grenzwert überschreitet. Nähere Details nannten sie nicht. Sie stuften die Folgen des Erdbebens im ersten Reaktorgebäude von Fukushima-Eins auf die Stufe 4 der siebenstufigen Ines-Skala für die Beschreibung der Tragweite von Atomzwischenfällen ein. Nach der Definition ist das ein "Atomunfall mit lokalen Konsequenzen". Stufe 4 schließt eine Kernschmelze und auch Strahlentote ein. Der Atomunfall von Tschernobyl 1986 rangiert bisher als größte Nuklearkatastrophe auf der Ines-Stufe 7.
Source: http://www.stern.de/panorama/-liveti...n-1662763.html

According to these feeds, the japanese ministry informed the International Atomic Energy Agency that the dose of radiation has passed the allowed tolerance limit. No further details have been given.

The current status of the incidence is classified 4 of 7 levels on tine Ines-Skala for Atomic accidents. Level 4 includes meltdown and dose of radiation. In comparison Tschernobyl is level 7 classified.

In the meantime I also heard the half hours news and at the moment it is unclear whats going on. While the japanese government said that there was no meltdown during the explosion they do not exclude that a meltdown can still happen.

My prayers and hopes are going to Japan. I really hope you guys have found a save shelter.
Old 2011-03-12, 12:42   Link #538
Qikz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmox View Post
10000 people suspected of being buried from the Tsunami's mud slides -> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...misanriku.html

this made me sad damn
I'd take that with a massive, massive pinch of salt. The Daily Mail and The Sun are the UK's versions of Fox news, their articles are made to just scaremonger.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 12:45   Link #539
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
The current status of the incidence is classified 4 of 7 levels on tine Ines-Skala for Atomic accidents. Level 4 includes meltdown and dose of radiation. In comparison Tschernobyl is level 7 classified.
GAF noted this first...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
INES Level 4: Accident with local consequences

Impact on People and the Environment
Minor release of radioactive material unlikely to result in implementation of planned countermeasures other than local food controls.
At least one death from radiation.

Impact on Radiological Barriers and Control
Fuel melt or damage to fuel resulting in more than 0.1% release of core inventory.
Release of significant quantities of radioactive material within an installation with a high probability of significant public exposure.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 13:00   Link #540
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

death 1800

Sony airlifts supplies to tsunami-stricken factory

found interesting stream

http://yokosonews.com/live

Last edited by RRW; 2011-03-12 at 13:15.
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disaster, japan, tsunami