AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky☆Star - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 197 43.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 127 28.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 72 16.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 23 5.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 17 3.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 0.67%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.22%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 0.67%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.22%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 1.33%
Voters: 450. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-10-21, 23:29   Link #61
JustInn14
moo

For the Lucky CHANNEL segment,,,,, 5/10 to 6/10.

Cute at first, but seriously annoying by episode 06. :/
JustInn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 00:40   Link #62
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeval View Post
1st off let me say this... LUCKY STAR IS NOT FOR US.
Seriously, this was made for the Japanese, with more and more references to their life as it went on.
Newsbreaker: ALL anime is made for the japanese... if you're going to watch it, you should assume you might have to actually learn something about japanese culture and pop. Anime is not from another planet though it might seem so to an extremely provincial viewpoint. All anime in Japan is made using japanese sensibilities, morals, culture, and referencing.

Even with that, your assertion is not supported. Lucky*Star uses a comedy format entirely approachable by Western eyeballs -- if you've ever seen Marx Brothers, Seinfeld, Animaniacs, comedy duo routines, ..... Even if you don't recognize a specific parody, it was pretty obvious when they were parodying something. Also, the parody and referencing jokes are not the core of Lucky*Star -- in fact they were anime-only. Most of the story is just about a pack of modern high school girls in Japan.

Quote:
Script: 0 What? there was a script?
yes, quite an extensive set of sketches in a format familiar to anyone who has ever read Peanuts.... O.o
Quote:
Animation: 5 pretty basic, and boring
Missed all those KyoAni stellar moments of animation and art?
The art and animation was designed based on the manga (which is a 4-koma in the style of Peanuts and most daily comics) -- each episode had some of the usual amazing KyoAni moments added (3-d, fastframe animation, etc)
Quote:
This series really isn't for me, nor should it be for those outside of japan, as we really cannot relate to such things, it's the same as being a person who laughs at jokes they don't catch.
"This series really isn't for me..." is where you should have stopped. The rest of the sentence is pretty insulting to the many viewers who had no problem "relating" or "catching the jokes".

Lucky*Star anime adaptation is not perfect by any means but it was certainly not an opaque alien transmission of indecipherable nature.
Old 2007-10-23, 22:35   Link #63
Kabi
Inactive Member

I dont know how u can give a good score to this anime really i give it 1 of 10 its not THAT bad in some aspects but i got sick of lucky star (or lucky shit in 4chan)

Animation Quality: ok here it gots a "good" score i will give it a 6
Voice Actors: the voice actors where the only good thing here its a 7
Script: sucks no history no trama no nothing it was like watching azumanga daioh with more loli design worse jokes and parodys
I never laughted too much with lucky star in the begining it was good but well with the time it got worse... and worse... lucky channel was just unfunny was just too boring... most of the jokes where obvious and tedious and the "random" parts where just stupid... i love random programs... i love comedys... but lucky star was unfunny and a boring predictable random... i give it a 1 for this and a -3 penalise for all the bad things
Editing: not to much to say 5
Emotional Involvement: -10 ... nothing to say

the last chapters of lucky star i have to Pause it go and see or play something more cause i get to bored or sick of it in fact i only watched until chapter 22...
and its more after watching luckystar i got sick of haruhi everytime i see haruhi i think about lucky star and i get sick =S

There are 1000 better comedy random funny loli parody than lucky star
Kabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 02:06   Link #64
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think we gather you didn't enjoy it. Perfectly fine, it isn't for everyone. But the last line caught my attention

Okay... name them? (or at least a top ten?). That would give us an idea of what you consider more entertaining. We might have some recommendations
Old 2007-10-24, 04:27   Link #65
Kabi
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think we gather you didn't enjoy it. Perfectly fine, it isn't for everyone. But the last line caught my attention

Okay... name them? (or at least a top ten?). That would give us an idea of what you consider more entertaining. We might have some recommendations
1000 is a way to say that there are a lot of better animes... well lets see

Parody Comedy & Random

the 6 that comes to my mind now are

Azumanga daioh
Pani Poni Dash
Excel Saga
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Doujin Work
Hayate No Gotoku

well there are a few of this kind that arent anime like family guy or simpsons but all the world knows them x.X

Then for LOLI animes there are tons of them

Kodomo no jikan is a example of loli anime

i just wake up and got to do work later when im more awake im going to post more

PD: And im not trying to be agressive with the people who liked lucky star only with the anime itself i think that is boring unfunny and more =p

Last edited by Kabi; 2007-10-25 at 16:16.
Old 2007-10-25, 02:16   Link #66
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Agreed and I wasn't really challenging you... was just curious as to what you thought was good. Looking at your list gives me a clue that you actually even like this sort of thing... though I'm fascinated that AzuDa and PPD are on your list yet you're so harsh about the humor and characterization in this series. For me, the main aggravations were the injected references (anime-only), the Animate Tenchou (anime-only) and the Lucky*Channel (anime-only)... <shrug> I had to dig a bit to find the adaptation of the manga I enjoy.

I'm not clear on what your loli reference is about. This series is about high school seniors, not 11 year olds. The characters have figures (except for Konata, mom, and cousin) and dress normally. I've no idea why KnJ even enters this discussion O.o
Old 2007-10-25, 09:40   Link #67
Kabi
Inactive Member

Quote:
Agreed and I wasn't really challenging you... was just curious as to what you thought was good. Looking at your list gives me a clue that you actually even like this sort of thing... though I'm fascinated that AzuDa and PPD are on your list yet you're so harsh about the humor and characterization in this series. For me, the main aggravations were the injected references (anime-only), the Animate Tenchou (anime-only) and the Lucky*Channel (anime-only)... <shrug> I had to dig a bit to find the adaptation of the manga I enjoy.

I'm not clear on what your loli reference is about. This series is about high school seniors, not 11 year olds. The characters have figures (except for Konata, mom, and cousin) and dress normally. I've no idea why KnJ even enters this discussion O.o
well lets see its cause the LOLI drawing a loli its not only a 12 years old.. loli is a kind of drawing where the characters looks younger than her age and too have a not grown up body... the kind of drawing is a "loli" drawing for example in azumanga daioh u can see that some characters have large breast or in PPD the same in LS u see all the characters and the basic shape is the same and even if someone have large breast it still looks a bit "small"

Usually most of the lolis are underage (-18) years old and have body like 12 years old and as u can see konata kagami and Tsukasa for example have that kind of body i dont think that the twins have larger breast than A cup

And well the other thing u asked is why i hate so much Lucky Star if i like PPD and Azumanga well its easy

Azumanga was random and most important FUNNY
Kimura allways with his random shouts screams and responses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftAMtTH6mKQ
Osaka the slow girl allways giving something to laught about
Chiyro allways geting scared by the others

in PPD is pure of randomness and there are a TON of parodys... the characters are original and maybe i dont laught too much but it has a lot of good parts

In Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei its also sometimes school live and the personalitys are well defined and critices a lot of things in a better way than lucky star

the worst part of lucky star is that they show it as boring as it is to watch IRL of someone else... i cant laught about slow and predectible things... i cant watch it like any other anime cause it dont get my atention
i liked lucky star not the first 2 chapters exept 1 or 2 comments and after chapter 3 i started to like it a bit until chapter 10 then it started to get boring and more boring and with the time i just hated it cause only speak about haruhi haruhi and predictable things

I said it and i say again lucky star was an anime for 13 chapters if that would be the case then it will been more active anime (if they compress all in 13 chapters they may omite some boring parts and more characters faster)

my english is bad but i think that i expressed myself enought to u understand
Old 2007-10-25, 10:05   Link #68
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

To be honest seeing the list you posted as good. Made me think you have a broad sense of humor. You bashing the LS humor as slow? To be honest Azumanga Daioh wasn't all that fast either. Ok so you liked PPD parody's, but LS's is bad? While I do think SZS is good, but come on personalities is what makes LS so good...

Get off the Haruhi thing stop making it sound like that was the only thing you saw that was only a small portion of the show. The voice switching and the cosplay café was just hilarious tbh.

Compressing it to 13 eps? That's kinda too much of a good thing. Some people(me) liked the pace. It isn't all about the comedy. It's also about the overall feel and ambiance. You can't rush that.

Haven't tried Excel Saga, but Doujin Work was just bad...

The animation a 6? Of the 6 series you posted LS has a superior animation did you give all of those 3's and 4's?
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 15:45   Link #69
Kabi
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
To be honest seeing the list you posted as good. Made me think you have a broad sense of humor. You bashing the LS humor as slow? To be honest Azumanga Daioh wasn't all that fast either. Ok so you liked PPD parody's, but LS's is bad? While I do think SZS is good, but come on personalities is what makes LS so good...

Get off the Haruhi thing stop making it sound like that was the only thing you saw that was only a small portion of the show. The voice switching and the cosplay café was just hilarious tbh.

Compressing it to 13 eps? That's kinda too much of a good thing. Some people(me) liked the pace. It isn't all about the comedy. It's also about the overall feel and ambiance. You can't rush that.

Haven't tried Excel Saga, but Doujin Work was just bad...

The animation a 6? Of the 6 series you posted LS has a superior animation did you give all of those 3's and 4's?
reading this i can only think that u dont have idea what are u talking about ^^
Old 2007-10-25, 17:02   Link #70
MaxwellDemon
"Bi?!" BI?!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabi View Post
I am pretty sure he knows what he is talking about. But hey, each to one's opinion. No need to bash Kabi for not liking L*S, I am sure he saw something different that didn't fit with it too well compared to other comedy anime he saw.
Old 2007-10-25, 17:09   Link #71
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Let me guess you probably hate Naruto and MTV too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellDemon View Post
I am pretty sure he knows what he is talking about. But hey, each to one's opinion. No need to bash Kabi for not liking L*S, I am sure he saw something different that didn't fit with it too well compared to other comedy anime he saw.
Not liking L*S is ok. I just found it weird he liked all of those, but disliked L*S. If it isn't his thing I could understand, but seeing those series he listed. He should be worshipping L*S.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 17:17   Link #72
MaxwellDemon
"Bi?!" BI?!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

Not liking L*S is ok. I just found it weird he liked all of those, but disliked L*S. If it isn't his thing I could understand, but seeing those series he listed. He should be worshipping L*S.
Well, yeah, maybe he just saw something different in L*S that caused him to irk at it... who knows?
Old 2007-10-25, 17:34   Link #73
Rembr

I was surprised that a lot of people from America actually liked this show. There's just way too many elements that can only be understood by native Japanese. But moe and energy seems to be enough to buy a lot of audience here. Which is perfectly fine... those are elements Kyoani excels at and is certainly worth viewing by itself.

The rest of the shows Kabi listed actually has a lot more global appeal, even Zetsubou Sensei.

But from Argentina? Yeah, I would bet that he didn't like LS. Plus, the reason he listed is logical. He doesn't like the art style, which is the only thing for foreigners to get from this show. Only thing left is the little bit of global humor.
Rembr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 17:49   Link #74
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
well lets see its cause the LOLI drawing a loli its not only a 12 years old.. loli is a kind of drawing where the characters looks younger than her age and too have a not grown up body... the kind of drawing is a "loli" drawing for example in azumanga daioh u can see that some characters have large breast or in PPD the same in LS u see all the characters and the basic shape is the same and even if someone have large breast it still looks a bit "small"

Usually most of the lolis are underage (-18) years old and have body like 12 years old and as u can see konata kagami and Tsukasa for example have that kind of body i dont think that the twins have larger breast than A cup
You have a really unusual definition of loli --- just expect people to look at you very strangely when you explain it And,um.... only Konata comes close to an A cup and a hipless figure... the twins and the others have pretty clearly defined figures. The comic style of the manga and the anime does accentuate the heads (since it is after all a "talking head" style comic - mostly verbal and facial expression).

Makes me wonder what you think of a number of other comic and cartoon styles O.o

The rest of your post other people are addressing, so I think I'm done
==========================
@Rembr: ??? You're joining a small persistent group of people that assert Lucky*Star can "only be understood by native Japanese". <sigh> There is not a thing in the series that can't be understood by anyone on the planet who takes a moment to look things up or study a bit about Japan. Its just pop culture, some proverbs, local dishes, a bit of religion and ritual, local customs.
I really don't understand anime fans that don't do a bit of study --- but even then its no more "alien" than Monty Python (full of local political jokes of the 70s, pop culture, references).
Old 2007-10-25, 18:21   Link #75
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I had no problems understanding the majority of references in LS, and I don't live in Japan. I am, however, quite an otaku so very little escaped me. I found the series immensely enjoyable on all fronts. I loved the art, the character design, the personalities, the interactions, the setting, the music. Everything.

Except Lucky Channel. It was the only part of the show I just... didn't enjoy. It would have been better to have each episode run a couple minutes longer and just do without it entirely. But I just didn't like Akira, at all whatsoever.

One of the things that really won me over early in the series was the ED karaoke. Really going back years before the digisubbing scene, so most 'modern' anime fans wouldn't get it. But I loved it.

I can see how a series like this may fail in the US market, though. Because there are a lot of people who just... aren't otaku enough to get it. It would fall flat, I think. Sales would probably be quite low, but that's not the fault of the series. It's just the kind of show it is.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 18:42   Link #76
Rembr

Quote:
@Rembr: ??? You're joining a small persistent group of people that assert Lucky*Star can "only be understood by native Japanese". <sigh> There is not a thing in the series that can't be understood by anyone on the planet who takes a moment to look things up or study a bit about Japan. Its just pop culture, some proverbs, local dishes, a bit of religion and ritual, local customs.
I really don't understand anime fans that don't do a bit of study --- but even then its no more "alien" than Monty Python (full of local political jokes of the 70s, pop culture, references).
Was Monty Python a hit in Japan or something?

Granted I'll retract the part about "way too many," are you certain that people over here actually got certain obscure takes in the show?
Old 2007-10-25, 19:20   Link #77
Kabi
Inactive Member

Quote:

i dont like mtv to much and im used to watch lisen everything in the pc so i dont care to much and naruto i like it in fact im following the story but i hated the fillers... anyway i like other animes more than naruto

L*S is one of the few animes i totally disliked

Quote:
You have a really unusual definition of loli --- just expect people to look at you very strangely when you explain it And,um.... only Konata comes close to an A cup and a hipless figure... the twins and the others have pretty clearly defined figures. The comic style of the manga and the anime does accentuate the heads (since it is after all a "talking head" style comic - mostly verbal and facial expression).

Makes me wonder what you think of a number of other comic and cartoon styles O.o
and i dont think is unusual in fact i know a lot of people that takes loli as an underage underdeveloped girl
Old 2007-10-25, 19:38   Link #78
MaxwellDemon
"Bi?!" BI?!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
i dont like mtv to much and im used to watch lisen everything in the pc so i dont care to much and naruto i like it in fact im following the story but i hated the fillers... anyway i like other animes more than naruto

L*S is one of the few animes i totally disliked

and i dont think is unusual in fact i know a lot of people that takes loli as an underage underdeveloped girl
I think the definition part of it is pretty accurate... but the only character that is loli is Konata... anyone else have a figure of some sort, so they are not under-developed at all... and since they are in high school, they are also definitely not underaged.
Old 2007-10-25, 19:46   Link #79
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

As Maxwell says, the definition may be accurate... or at least that's one of the definitions of "loli". But the usage (labeling the whole series as loli) is odd since the only "loli"-figured people on the show were Kona, her mom, and her younger cousin.... and none of the senior class or adult characters were "under-age". The junior and entering class characters (including the younger cousin) at 14/15, are only 'under-age' under certain conditions in some jurisdictions.

@Rembr: I used Monty Python as a reference since it is a British comedy that was wildly successful in the US despite being replete with "content only the British could understand". Lucky*Star is pretty much on the same sort of bracket.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-10-25 at 19:56.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 20:43   Link #80
Rembr

Quote:
As Maxwell says, the definition may be accurate... or at least that's one of the definitions of "loli". But the usage (labeling the whole series as loli) is odd since the only "loli"-figured people on the show were Kona, her mom, and her younger cousin.... and none of the senior class or adult characters were "under-age". The junior and entering class characters (including the younger cousin) at 14/15, are only 'under-age' under certain conditions in some jurisdictions.

@Rembr: I used Monty Python as a reference since it is a British comedy that was wildly successful in the US despite being replete with "content only the British could understand". Lucky*Star is pretty much on the same sort of bracket.
Hm? Monty Python (mostly the Holy Grail) had contents that were entertaining beyond its British only content. LS is similar, and I conceded that 'way too many' was a bit overboard of a statement.

Still, if you had to do research to understand certain content in LS, that doesn't really strike me as something that an average anime fan over here would understand...

Some anime doesn't really take research to understand and enjoy. In LS's case, if moe and otakudom isn't your cup of tea, then it is gonna take some... research... to appreciate.