AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-10-29, 14:20   Link #6421
monster

I would sometimes gets a call from someone I know (who uses an iPhone), but when I answer the phone, I would hear mumbled voices. It turns out that someone is talking to someone else, but somehow I would be on the line even though I can't talk/listen to them, but just hear their voices.

Is this a known phone/smartphone/iPhone issue or is it a user issue where the person presses the wrong menu (or whatever may be the case) when trying to call someone else?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 18:27   Link #6422
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Afaik that phenomenon has been present for a long time, even in cable phones. I don't know the exact cause of it, but it probably means it's not your phone's issue in particular.
Old 2012-10-29, 21:48   Link #6423
monster

Okay, then, I'll try not to worry about it. It's kind of unsettling, though.

Anyway, thanks
Old 2012-10-30, 03:28   Link #6424
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I would sometimes gets a call from someone I know (who uses an iPhone), but when I answer the phone, I would hear mumbled voices. It turns out that someone is talking to someone else, but somehow I would be on the line even though I can't talk/listen to them, but just hear their voices.

Is this a known phone/smartphone/iPhone issue or is it a user issue where the person presses the wrong menu (or whatever may be the case) when trying to call someone else?
That, or they forget to lock their phone and your number gets accidentally dialed when the keys get pressed. It's a very common source of our national alarm number being called without there being an emergency. Happens to me frequently as well.
Old 2012-10-30, 03:33   Link #6425
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, that's called "pocket dialing" ... once in a while my wife's phone will dial me or someone on her quick-dial list as the phone rumbles around inside her purse. Makes for some interesting moments
Old 2012-10-30, 04:45   Link #6426
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Can someone introduce me a good book or textbook that teaches fundamentals of Business Analytics and Business Intelligence?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 05:10   Link #6427
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Can someone introduce me a good book or textbook that teaches fundamentals of Business Analytics and Business Intelligence?
Wow...
Welcome to my fields...

Good book?
Start with any book by Ralph Kimball...
Especially "The Data Warehouse Toolkit: The Complete Guide to Dimensional Modeling"
Why? Data Warehouse is the basic of Business Intelligence...

And i believe that you will act as the user part, not the technical implementor part right?
"Business Intelligence For Dummies" is one reference i used...

Or i can be your private tutor for the right price...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 05:20   Link #6428
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Wow...
Welcome to my fields...

Good book?
Start with any book by Ralph Kimball...
Especially "The Data Warehouse Toolkit: The Complete Guide to Dimensional Modeling"
Why? Data Warehouse is the basic of Business Intelligence...

And i believe that you will act as the user part, not the technical implementor part right?
"Business Intelligence For Dummies" is one reference i used...

Or i can be your private tutor for the right price...
Actually I am doing a small bit of research - had a small chat with a friend recently and he said that BA/BI books are written in a way no different from critical thinking guides.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-10-31, 09:09   Link #6429
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Actually, BI is just a tool to help you makes any analytical assumption or decision making...
I have seen people doing analytical purely based on excel spreadsheet and the company is still growing...

So why do BI is trending these few years? Because instead maintaining hundred / thousands excel spreadsheet, it is simpler and faster to maintain one system (BI System). And of course it comes with fancy chart and animation (though nothing like you seen on film.)

And in the end, the decision is still in your hands. If your thinking is not critical, you are wasting your investment on one expensive system. As i stressed it again, BI just helps you seeing the data in a simpler, more accurate, and faster way.

Heck, they even now can make a BI from social media... You can make people's comment on facebook, twitter's tweet into a fancy chart.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 14:16   Link #6430
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, I won't miss the demise of "hundreds/thousands of spreadsheets" from an IT perspective. <shudder>.

Maintenance, archiving, deciphering, fixing - someone else's spreadsheet which organically became critical to a business function is a hideous prospect.
Old 2012-11-04, 22:44   Link #6431
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

(I am posting this here because I spend a bit of time typing it, but the thread it was going into closed. I just wanted the ideas out there before being lost)

If Star Wars VII is a sequel dealing with Luke Skywalker's or Princess Leia's children, how will it end up?

Luke was the last of the Jedi according to Yoda. Thus they have to start over again. Luke was quickly trained and did not get all the leasons (especially history leasons in the Jedi Code and such) a regular Padawan would have had growing up at the Jedi Temple in the Galactic Republic. What we are likely to get are the first or second generation of new Jedi taught under Luke Skywalker. Probably focusing on the next Skywalker in the line (be it a Skywalker or a Solo). Current rumor is that is will be focused on Leia's daughter who would be in her late 20s or maybe early 30s by the time the film comes out (around the age of Obi-wan Kenobi in the Phantom Menace). If it is Luke's son, he would be much younger, maybe a late teen or young 20s at the most (following current EU version of these characters, which if they want to use Mark Hamil, is actually exactly were they need to be presently).

However if it is to be a trilogy, there needs to be a war going on (it is called "Star Wars" after all). There need to be a overall plot going on. The traditional themes are Good and Evil as well and the Hero's Journey. We have had the rise and fall (and redemption) of Anakin Skywalker told in six films. We've had the Hero's Journey of Luke Skywalker told in three films. So, what is next for the Skywalker clan? Luke will likely be the mentor character (if they go that route) and probably die in the first film like Qui-Gon and Obi-wan did in the prior trilogies. The Galactic Empire did not end with the death of Palpatine and Vader. You don't wipe out a Galaxy spanning Empire quite that quickly. Though by the time the films should take place, the Remains of the Empire and the New Republic are more or less unified.

If one uses political climate for the films, it could be easy to have there be another conflict started by political factions within the Galactic Alliance. Those form the Republic and those from the Empire. At some point, it is assumed the Republic will weaking again, or seem blindingly ineffective as a form of government (in terms of getting anyting done in the Senate) and the Imperials will break off again, but this time without the Sith. The conflict, for the Jedi, will be something about their nature. Luke was trained to fight Vader...he was not trained in all the Jedi arts. He's got to wing it. So what you might get it a brake in the Jedi Order. Those that want to negotiate passively, and those that prefer to end disputes with a lightsaber. The balance of the Force is not all Light...there must also be Darkness...the shadow cast by the Light. Maybe not a new Sith, but a balance of ideas within the Jedi Order. A balance that might take three films to achieve within the scope of the conflict (those that are too heavy on one side of the other might throw off the balance if they aren't counters by an opposing Force. The middle ground makes for Balance, but takes a special kind of Jedi that can walk in both the Light and the Dark without corruption.
Old 2012-11-05, 02:00   Link #6432
monster

I'd be happy if they adapt the books. I started reading several books about Leia's three kids, but I never quite finished.

I probably should pick them up again.
Old 2012-11-05, 02:37   Link #6433
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I'd rather that Disney sets the new trilogy (assuming it would be a trilogy) several hundreds of years — maybe even several thousands of years — after the events of Episode VI, with totally new characters and a more nuanced look into the workings of the Force.

Then we don't have to bother with continuity issues and can effectively start with a clean slate (and we also don't have to deal with the mess of what to do with the so-called "Expanded Universe" which I never gave two hoots about; incidentally, I think Disney actually doesn't have rights to any of the novels' content, which probably rules out the possibility of such adaptations).

We'll also conveniently silence millions of voices crying out in terror at the thought of Disney executives raping their childhood fantasies — simply because we'll respectfully leave said childhood fantasies of Princess Leia in a golden bikini well enough alone.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 02:51   Link #6434
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I'd rather that Disney sets the new trilogy (assuming it would be a trilogy) several hundreds of years — maybe even several thousands of years — after the events of Episode VI, with totally new characters and a more nuanced look into the workings of the Force.

Then we don't have to bother with continuity issues and can effectively start with a clean slate (and we also don't have to deal with the mess of what to do with the so-called "Expanded Universe" which I never gave two hoots about; incidentally, I think Disney actually doesn't have rights to any of the novels' content, which probably rules out the possibility of such adaptations).
Then just turn this into a film.

Quote:
We'll also conveniently silence millions of voices crying out in terror at the thought of Disney executives raping their childhood fantasies — simply because we'll respectfully leave said childhood fantasies of Princess Leia in a golden bikini well enough alone.
Then I would rather Lucasfilms be bought over by KyoAni. At least we can get a loli Leia in a golden sukumizu - *gets strangled to death by an iron chain*

Old 2012-11-05, 08:11   Link #6435
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Actually I am doing a small bit of research - had a small chat with a friend recently and he said that BA/BI books are written in a way no different from critical thinking guides.
I'd advise doing a course, or reading about, Statistical Analysis and Numerical Methods, aimed at scientists/engineers. If you can handle those, the business stuff is super easy. In my (admittedly limited) experience, a lot of mathematics in business draws extensively from engineering.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 08:23   Link #6436
Ridwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I'd advise doing a course, or reading about, Statistical Analysis and Numerical Methods, aimed at scientists/engineers. If you can handle those, the business stuff is super easy. In my (admittedly limited) experience, a lot of mathematics in business draws extensively from engineering.
Seriously, hear ^this man^ !
Old 2012-11-06, 05:55   Link #6437
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Does anyone notice that the music of Stardust Melodia is quite similar to Honoo no Tobira? I don't mean the lyrics but the music.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 08:26   Link #6438
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Question is, from which kind of school?

Mathematics taught locally is a brain-dead course - don't bother understanding the formula, just apply to score As. I took the liberty of going off schoolwork to discover the beauty of calculus and infinitesimal numbers back when doing my 'A's and causing it to flunk badly.

Normal statistics is no problem for me, just that I am a little rusty. What I am trying to understand is how to "reason with numbers"; i.e discovering the reason behind all those formulas used.

Old 2012-11-06, 18:16   Link #6439
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Question is, from which kind of school?

Mathematics taught locally is a brain-dead course - don't bother understanding the formula, just apply to score As. I took the liberty of going off schoolwork to discover the beauty of calculus and infinitesimal numbers back when doing my 'A's and causing it to flunk badly.

Normal statistics is no problem for me, just that I am a little rusty. What I am trying to understand is how to "reason with numbers"; i.e discovering the reason behind all those formulas used.
In my experience, so long as it's an engineering or science course, and it's reputable, you're probably in good shape. I took it in College of course, and that may not be an option for you. Something like this may be good for you. In terms of local "in person" courses, I'd just make sure they require you to use a computer, and not rely overly on exams (doesn't work well for a course like Numerical Methods, unless somehow the exam is computerized). Beyond that, you need to look at the curriculum. At a minimum I'd look for Interpolation, Approximation, Spline Curves, Iterative methods(can't remember all the names, it's been a while)...

I'd look at your local technical universities, go in and ask if you can enroll in a single class, or "audit" one (whereby you sit the class, but don't have to hand in anything, or receive any credit for it). Before making your choice, see if you can sit on a class or two to get an impression of what it's like.

In a nutshell, you need a course that will teach you a variety of ways to derive trend lines and equations from data points, that is Numerical Methods, this is your "reasoning with numbers", or at least a big part of it. It's probably one of the hardest courses I ever took though, so it's not for the faint of heart. You really need to know Advanced Calculus and Matrix Algebra to get anywhere, and basic programming.

If you can handle Engineering and Science Numerical courses, you should be able to breeze through any business stuff. Also, my guess is that there's probably less "soft" courses if you look within Science and Engineering. Engineers have to be taught to stricter standards(I presume it's the same in Singapore as elsewhere). The downside is that you may be taught things you don't need to know.

Plenty of Business courses are very good, but are usually not so heavy on the mathematics, MBAs aren't as known for the mathematics ability as Engineers :P . If you want the math, look at Science/Engineering.

Last edited by DonQuigleone; 2012-11-06 at 18:26.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 05:46   Link #6440
oompa loompa

Why hello animesuki its been a LONG while.

anyhoo, I've just recently moved to a new apartment, where I use my landlords wifi. He kept randomly unplugging the router, and when I finally asked him why, he said that by leaving it on consumes data even if no one is using the internet ( we have a limited amount of data usage), like it leaks if just left on. That sounded pretty stupid, so I tried searching for something about it, and couldn't find anything, so I thought I'd ask the good folk of Asuki to give me their 10 cents.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious