AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

View Poll Results: Maria-sama ga Miteru Series Rating
Perfect 10 11 24.44%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 51.11%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 4 8.89%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 8.89%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 4.44%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.22%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-12-29, 05:23   Link #21
sa547
*Author

That was a through and an exceptional review.

-----
I picked up the DJCD pack that had some of the radio dramas and talk, and... Good God, Miki Ito was total earsex. ;_;
Old 2012-12-30, 09:15   Link #22
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
I probably already responded to your post with this, but it didn't occur to me at the time to actually respond within the thread itself (which is kind of a weird thing to forget). So yeah. I'll leave it right here for everyone's benefit.

Spoiler for series impression:
Thanks for replying to my review here, and with a review of your own. It was nice to see this thread become active again.

Yumi is definitely a strong lead protagonist. I think what the narrative did is take a "normal girl", but have her be very nuanced and quick to adapt, and throw her into a slightly unusual world. We see her slowly but surely adapt to that world, while that world in turn gains greater liveliness and spirit from Yumi herself. It was definitely a beautiful blossoming.

I also agree with you on Touko. Her sad backstory has a touch of cliche to it, but Touko managed to make it feel real and authentic. I think the way the Yumi/Touko date played out helped a lot. It wasn't flashy at all, but very practical and down-to-Earth. Touko didn't try to impress Yumi so much as she simply revealed the unvarnished truth of her personal life to Yumi. And I liked that, particularly since it wasn't what I was expecting. It was a great note for the anime to end off on.

@sa547

I'm not sure if your reply was aimed at Qilin or me or both of us, but either way, thanks.
Old 2012-12-30, 10:07   Link #23
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I also agree with you on Touko. Her sad backstory has a touch of cliche to it, but Touko managed to make it feel real and authentic. I think the way the Yumi/Touko date played out helped a lot. It wasn't flashy at all, but very practical and down-to-Earth. Touko didn't try to impress Yumi so much as she simply revealed the unvarnished truth of her personal life to Yumi. And I liked that, particularly since it wasn't what I was expecting. It was a great note for the anime to end off on.
Yeah. I found that date to be rather cathartic.

It finally gave Touko an opportunity to expose her vulnerabilities without pretense to someone else after spending a huge chunk of her life acting out the role of a perfect daughter. Admittedly, it wasn't the kind of date I was expecting, but in retrospect, it was a solid conclusion, bringing about perfect closure to Touko's character arc. For bonus points, seeing Yumi act like an elegant older sister (while retaining her character's charm) made me feel giddy on the inside. Those are some great character moments for in the entire series right there.

It's sad to know that there will probably never be another season, but I'm glad it ended as it did. Now, I'm just getting by through reading the light novels.